Start by marking “The Arts and the Creation of Mind” as Want to Read:
The Arts and the Creation of Mind

The Arts and the Creation of Mind

Learning in and through the arts can develop complex and subtle aspects of the mind, argues Elliot Eisner in this engrossing book. Offering a rich array of examples, he describes different approaches to the teaching of the arts and shows how these refine forms of thinking that are valuable in dealing with our daily life
“Not since John Dewey has an American author written
Published September 10th 2004 by Yale University Press (first published October 11th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Arts and the Creation of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arts and the Creation of Mind

Start your review of The Arts and the Creation of Mind
Nelson Zagalo
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: academic, art
O meu interesse neste livro estava relacionado com o tentar descobrir mais sobre modo como as artes moldam o nosso pensar e contribuem para a nossa experiência do mundo. Se é verdade que fala disso, fala muito mais das artes no percurso escolar, e a partir do meio do livro foca-se claramente na importância das artes nas escolas básicas e secundárias o que acabou por afastar o meu entusiasmo. Não advém daqui qualquer problema, e é mesmo um assunto que precisa de ser discutido, até porque em ...more
Lauran
May 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: educators and art appreciators
Elliot Eisner makes such a powerful case for art education in this work that I think all politicians lobbying for cultural program cuts should be forced to read and discuss this book. The specifics about curricula and cognition get a bit heavy if one isn't interested in these educational/psychological fields, but the illustrations and case studies about specific students' progress in the classroom because of an artistic approach are compelling.
Dana
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am actually leading a book club on this book at school. It is pure brillance, ripe with genius in every paragraph it seems. Good for anyone who teaches, specifically in the arts but really, it could be enjoyed by anyone who values the arts and the important ways in which they not only enrich our lives but the very capacities of our minds. AMAZING!
Julie Dennis
Feb 03, 2011 marked it as to-read
Brilliant author writes about the arts and their impact on our thinking
Eleazar Tordoya
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pedagogia
La obra transita por los diversos modos que asumió la enseñanza artística, por sus métodos, por las condiciones específicas creadas por los docentes para que los estudiantes alcancen el aprendizaje; analiza las particularidades de la creación artística por parte de los niños - en especial el dibujo- así como el proceso de refinamiento gradual como resultado de la intervención de sus docentes y el desarrollo de su pensamiento. Eisner nos incita a pensar de otro modo el arte en la educación por su ...more
Peaches
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm going to be using this book for my dissertation, so typing a detailed review is not something I wish to do at the present time, but if you teach art or seek to incorporate it in your teaching, this really is a must-read. It's easy to get through, covers many facets of education while acknowledging the societal shifts in educational objectives, and is affirming. It was well-worth reading a theoretical text at the beginning of my summer break!
My one qualm is that Eisner is against using arts
Eliezer Sneiderman
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is an essential book for anyone who considers the art of teaching. Eisner's insights are not just limited to Art Education, rather, they are relevant for everyone in the field. Art Education necessitates a fresh examination of epistemology, evaluation, and the formation of mind.

I intend to adapt these ideas to Jewish Education.
Marcia Scurfield
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-education
The elementary art teachers of the Wichita Public Schools are reading this book as a book study for the 2009-2010 school year. It has stimulated quite a bit of good discussion and sharing of philosophies and ideas.
Susan Striepe
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eisner provides many logical arguments for why the arts are so crucial in the curriculum. The book provides strategies for art educators, so that they may assess the learning that takes place in their classrooms.
Reuel
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
A Stanford University professor of Art and Education argues cogently for the importance of including visual and other arts in the K-12 curriculum for the full development of children.
Salome Tam
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Exceptional book not only on arts ed but education as a whole. Wish I'd come across it earlier in my teaching career.
Eamonn Barrett
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful defence of education and the arts.
J. H.  Clark
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one will blow your mind!
Boryana Rusenova Ina
One of the most comprehensive books on art and its place in current education, helped me a lot when I was doing my MA. Elliot Eisner is my hero!
Kelly
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Conviction
  • Understanding Childhood: A Cross-Disciplinary Approach - Second Edition
  • Fairview
  • Ice Lake (Harry Cull Thriller, #1)
  • Curse of the Starving Class
  • The Fire Next Time
  • The Cider House Rules
  • Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant
  • How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States
  • And Then We Grew Up: On Creativity, Potential, and the Imperfect Art of Adulthood
  • Understanding by Design
  • Reaching and Teaching Students in Poverty: Strategies for Erasing the Opportunity Gap