Start by marking “Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)” as Want to Read:
Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)

Abhorsen (Abhorsen #3)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  91,580 Ratings  ·  1,991 Reviews
The Ninth was strong and fought with might
But lone Orannis was put out of the light
Broken in two and buried under hill
Forever to lie there, wishing us ill.

So says the song. But Orannis, the Destroyer, is no longer buried under hill. It has been freed from its subterranean prison and now seeks to escape the silver hemispheres, the final barrier to the unleashing of its te
Published January 7th 2003 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Abhorsen, please sign up.
Kim I thought it was answered in the sense that his talent was in making --Tennis rackets, the frog that eats mosquitoes, etc. and I think the blood thing…moreI thought it was answered in the sense that his talent was in making --Tennis rackets, the frog that eats mosquitoes, etc. and I think the blood thing was mentioned when he got the surcoat. Wallmakers were part of the royal blood, weren't they? I could have misunderstood, but that's what I got from the audiobook. (less)

Charlotte May
4.5 stars!
This series just keeps getting better!

We find Lirael and Sam immediately after book 2, on the hunt for Sam’s friend Nick and the evil he has accidentally gotten himself trapped in. Along with the Disreputable Dog and Mogget the cat we are taken on a fantastic ride through a world where the dead don’t stay dead!

“Confused Dead Hands staggered out of her way, gobbling their distress from their decayed throats.”

Nix has created such an incredible magic system; with both Charter Magic - t
Jessica

Can I just say how shocked I am by how good this book was? I mean, I guess everything that happened in Lirael was necessary in setting the stage for Abhorsen, but man did Lirael put a damper on the Old Kingdom high I got from Sabriel. In book 2, Lirael was mopey, annoying, and the Mary-Sue from Hell. Sam was pretty angsty, too, and the book felt entirely like exposition with no real pay off at the end (with a long ways to go). Needless to say, I approached Abhorsen with distrust and apprehension
TS Chan
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abhorsen is a great conclusion to a narrative arc which started with Lirael, the second book in the series.

The two main characters introduced in the previous book, Lirael and Prince Sameth, have now accepted their respective legacies and fate in what is to become a fight for the survival of the very world itself. Finally, we have a lot more action, a lot less moping and some solid character growth with two young protagonists, both who have vast potential stemming from their unique bloodlines. T
Ahmad Sharabiani
Abhorsen (Abhorsen #3), Garth Nix
Abhorsen is a fantasy novel by Australian writer Garth Nix, first published in 2003. It is the third book in the Old Kingdom series (following Sabriel and Lirael).
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و دوم ماه اکتبر سال 2009 میلادی
عنوان: ابهورسن - کتاب سوم از سه گانه ی گارت نیکس با عنوان: پادشاهی کهن؛ نویسنده: گارت نیکس؛ مترجم: پریا آریا (پریا تجلی پور)؛ تهران، وسعت، 1387، در 400 ص، شابک: 9786005142167؛
مترجم: شهلا انتظاریان؛ تهران، افق، 1391، در 456 ص، شابک: 9789643698270؛
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Rtc
Wouldn't be better if I had read previous books
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, owned
Probably my favourite of the series so far! I adore these characters (especially the Disreputable Dog)!
Lindsey Rey
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, young-adult
[3.5 Stars]
I liked the ending, but I've decided I'm not the biggest fan of Garth Nix's writing style.
Stephen
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
4.5 to 5.0 stars. Having just finished this, the final book in the Abhorsen Trilogy, I have to say that it RANKS AMONG THE BEST YA FANTASY SERIES I have ever read. The world created by Garth Nix composed of the Northern Old Kingdon (where magic exists) sitting side by side with the South (looking much like an early 20th century city in Europe) is so realistically portrayed that the whole story comes to life. The interplay between these two realms is very well done.

Add to that one of the most in
BAM The Bibliomaniac
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
Audio #56

So far this is looking like the best of the three! I think it’s because I’m getting g a lot of Tim Curry’s Moggat voice
Heather Turner
Apr 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult, Adult
Shelves: readandloved
As in "Sabriel" and "Lirael," Death is a riverine chasm from which the dead can be called back to the living by powerful necromancers. Only the Abhorsen (Sabriel) or the Abhorsen-in-waiting (Lirael) can pass from life into the river of Death, through the eight Gates of fog, whirlpools, waterfalls, and shadow, and do magical combat with the necromancers in their own dark realm...

Well, the Disreputable Dog can splash into Death, too and in "Abhorsen" you'll find out who she really is, along with M
Krissa
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
So everything I held against Book Two, Lirael, was released in Abhorsen. The book races, literally and figuratively - I read it in a day. The climax is beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, with all the characters you love and hate from all three books playing their part with some powerful punches. It also drags torturously through some characters' descents into madness which is, well, maddeningly written, curse Nix and his talent.

I adored this trilogy and wish people would stop resisting me forcing it upon th
Katie.dorny
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I honestly just found this anti-climatic. Especially when compared to the first two.
The conclusion just continues on for the spin off books; which I do understand.
Sam’s growth in this was wonderful; I hated him in the second book but in this one I really rooted for him.
I am interested in reading Goldenhand to find out what happens to Lirael and Nicolas
I just felt that this book and the previous one could have been shortened down to one big book instead of being dragged out over two when some of
Victoria Schwab
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite series of all time.
Jillian
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: necromancers
Shelves: fantasy, y-a
So now that I'm done with the trilogy I'll say that it was Great. I read the last book so fast, I think I read it in two days? Maybe three. Anyways, the climax is good (and not painfully predictable like book 2) and the characters are developed so well by the end that I was just sucked in. My face even scrunched up at the end when one character... you know. It always happens to someone. The fact that I even thought about crying is quite a feat for an author, since I pride myself on stoicism when ...more
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Despite their new destinies, Lirael and Sam continue their plan to recue Nick and stop whatever he is unearthing. Slowly the pair come to discover what it is: Lirael embraces her destiny as not only the Abhorsen-in-Waiting, but a Remembrancer as well, someone who can See the past like her Clayr sisters can See the future. Sam, relieved he no longer has to deal directly with Death, embraces his destiny as a royal Wallmaker – his hobby of inventing and his powerful skill as a Charter Mage really p ...more
Ashley
I think probably the best way to describe what it's like to read the Abhorsen trilogy is to compare it to a snowball rolling down a very, very large hill. We are all familiar with this metaphor--it basically implies that the thing being compared metaphorically moves faster and becomes MORE on the way down, whether that thing is the plot or your emotions as a reader, or both. Abhorsen is like this, but also THE SNOWBALL IS ON FIRE.

Sabriel introduced the world, the characters (most of them), the m
Kay
What a stunning conclusion to an amazing trilogy. The scope of the conclusion - which covers the foundation of the Charter - was incredible and tied up several loose ends. I can't wait to read more about Lirael and Nicholas.
Joey Woolfardis
I first read these when I was much younger, probably just a few years after they were published. I must confess, before I started them I could barely recall them at all, aside from a few episodes from the first book, Sabriel. I had hastily added 3 or 4 stars to them when I transferred them to GoodReads, so they must have had a lasting impression on me for me to do that.

Second re-through and I could see a little why I liked them, but they weren't the kind of thing I would love to read nowadays. I
Andrea
A better-paced story than Lirael - in part because Lirael and Abhorsen are basically one complete story split into two, and while Lirael's plot involves the Old Kingdom being snared in the villain's plans - while the two main characters angst about their role in life - Abhorsen's plot is full speed ahead to confrontation.

One thing bothers me about the world-building though. The Old Kingdom exists thanks to an ancient binding contract that depends on three bloodlines. And there's an awful lot of
daisy
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
i'm a mess
Phrynne
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a very satisfying end to an excellent series. I have really enjoyed the author's world building which includes charter magic, travels into Death,the Wall and much more. There have also been some tremendous characters, Mogget and the Disreputable Dog being two of my personal favourites. There was plenty of action in this last book and I was very happy to see Sabriel and Touchstone returning at last to share in the final outcome. This is a series I would happily recommend to anyone who li ...more
MadameMelli
Garth Nix hat noch einmal alles aus der Welt herausgeholt, was ging und es war wieder so ein unglaubliches Lesevergnügen!

Ich weiß wieder, wie ich mich damals gefühlt habe, als ich das Buch zum ersten Mal beendet habe. Aber! Jetzt sitze ich einfach nur da und grinse freudig erregt, weil ich mehr weiß als vor 15 Jahren und ich nicht mehr auf nächste Bände hoffen muss: Ich weiß, dass es sie gibt!
K.
28/1/2016
This was a pretty damned great ending to the trilogy. Lirael goes through so much character development in the course of this book, becoming more confident in her powers as Remembrancer and Abhorsen-in-Waiting. Sam becomes more courageous and confident as well, Mogget and the Disreputable Dog are great throughout, and like I said last time, we get a much greater view into Death than ever before.

Basically, Sabriel is still my favourite book of the series, but this one's still pretty dam
Teno Q.
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novels
Abhorsen takes three-hundred-plus pages to take Lirael, Sam, the Dog and Mogget from Point A - the Abhorsen's house in the Old Kingdom - to Point B - the Lightening Farm in Ancelstierre. Throughout the book, the main goal was to go there, fast fast fast, hurry hurry hurry hurry. It is much the same in the first book, Sabriel. Some might find it exciting and adventurous but I simply found it tiring.

When they reach Ancelstierre, they must stop stop stop the hemispheres hemispheres hemispheres fro
Rebecca
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Frankly, this book bored me. I can finish a modern fantasy book I moderately like in one night, so when I say it took me weeks to read this book, you can see that something really went wrong here.

I liked Sabriel- it was fresh and fascinating, an entertaining read, though not a favourite. Plenty of action, great world building. Then along came Lirael. Also a good read, and different enough from the first to keep me interested. I liked reading about the Clayr, and the angstiness of the characters
Nidofito
Rating: 4.5/5

An epic conclusion to the Old Kingdom trilogy where finally all the backstory from Lirael comes into play. It was quite a thing to see Lirael and Sam adjust comfortably into their new positions (they grow up so fast sniff). Sure they were scared, and underprepared, with occasional doubts, but I loved the feeling of rightness that came with their roles in the quest to defeat Orannis.

The switch between characters was done pretty smoothly, and with all the traveling that was going on f
Marina
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-and-sf
This book is fast-paced, entertaining and filled with action and suspense. I enjoyed it less than Lirael and Sabriel, because its focus in less on self-searching than these two. I'm not fan of military or necromancy, but, although this book is filled with solders and dead, I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
I would like to give this book four stars. it has some wonderful moments and it tells a good story. On the whole I enjoyed it, but not four stars worth.

Why?

First sadly it's just not as good as the first book in this "series" (I'll explain the quotes later.) I really liked Sabriel and had these on my "get them list" for a long time. This book picks up just as the second volume (Lireal) ends. Unfortunately (for me) Lireal dragged down and became such a slow and tedious book I was almost in tears
This series just gets better with every reread, I've actually lost count of how many times I've read these books over the years but the Old Kingdom trilogy will always have a special place in my heart and I'm excited that Garth Nix has decided to revisit the world again with Clariel. Before I start the new book I wanted to reread the original books again though and Abhorsen was just as fantastic as I remembered it being. It picks up the story almost immediately after the ending of the last book ...more
Old Kingdom series Character Elemenation Game! 2 7 Jul 17, 2016 11:56AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Abhorsen by Garth Nix 4 20 Jul 22, 2015 09:20AM
A Million More Pages: 3 - Abhorsen (Abhorsen): Apr 29 44 26 May 14, 2015 11:19AM
Favourite Character Elimination 2 26 Mar 09, 2015 12:07PM
I hate books that just... end. 41 195 Jul 09, 2014 06:57PM
Anybody read this? 20 107 Jun 27, 2014 09:31AM
  • Trickster's Queen (Daughter of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Merlin Conspiracy (Magids, #2)
  • Firesong (Wind On Fire, #3)
  • The Pearl of the Soul of the World (Darkangel Trilogy, #3)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • The Riddle (The Books of Pellinor, #2)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De
More about Garth Nix

Abhorsen (5 books)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • Clariel (Abhorsen, #4)
  • Goldenhand (Abhorsen, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Maybe if I act well enough, I'll come to believe it myself.” 133 likes
“As for you, Private, if you mention a word of this to anyone, I'll feed you to the cat thing here. Understand?"
"Yum," said Mogget.
"Yes, sir!" mumbled the telephone operator, his hands shaking as he tried to smother the burning wreckage of his switchboard with a fire blanket.”
72 likes