Start by marking “Schneier on Security” as Want to Read:
Schneier on Security

Schneier on Security

Schneier on Security will be divided into sections:
- Computer Security
- Security and Privacy
- Economics of Security
- National Security and Terrorism

Sample articles:
- Why Vista's DRM Is Bad For You
- When the Internet Is My Hard Drive, Should I Trust Third Parties?
- Steal This Wi-Fi
- Lessons From the Facebook Riots
- The ID Chip You Don't Want in Your Passport
- Camera Phone
Published October 1st 2008 by John Wiley & Sons (first published September 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Schneier on Security, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schneier on Security

Teo 2050
5h 40min @ 2x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Daniel Bernardes
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-tech
Bruce Schneier is a well-known and colorful figure in the security industry and distinguishes himself for his broad interests related to security and for being a good story teller. These traits can be found in his book, which is a collection of essays on various security topics.

The book is particularly suited for layman audience but can be a little bit repetitive. Admittedly, the points stressed over and over are important and worth remembering, particularly the notions that security decisions a
Paul Childs
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Schneier has a great view on things when it comes to security and this book reflects that. He has chapters that discuss all the important topics of the day from air line safety, to the Internet, and Homeland Security. The topics tend to be more about the general ideas and themes of security rather than the nuts and bolts of how to be more secure.

He correctly points out that we often do what makes us think we are more secure, even when it doesn't really make it so. Our government would be better
Jason
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a collection of Bruce Schneier writings, from his blog, various websites, etc. It's organized by topic, rather than date or original source, so you get sections on security, privacy, etc.

Each individual article is filled with Schneier's usual brilliance. It's obvious they weren't meant to be all put together, though. Each article is a standalone piece. There's no flow between them, he often hits the same idea repeatedly in different ways, etc. I don't fault any of the individual articles
Darrenglass
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Bruce Schneier is a very smart man, who thinks about things in interesting ways. As a quote on the front of this book says, he is "the closest thing the security industry has to a rock star" which is certainly true (even if that still puts him pretty far from a rock star). That said, this collection of essays didnt really work for me. It is basically a compilation of 1-2 page blog posts and essays he wrote for his newsletter and for Wired magazine, and this leads to absolutely no cohesion and lo ...more
AJ Armstrong
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am an enormous fan of Bruce Schneier, and his expertise and the depth of his thinking on issues of security (ranging from cyber- to physical) are clear in these essays. My only critique, and the reason it is not 5 stars, is that due to the fact that this is a collection of stand-alone essays, it often seems repetitive with the same points and illustrations---originally made months apart for different publications---appearing a scant few pages apart. It is far better read in bits and pieces tha ...more
David
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many people claim to be experts in our field and spout the same old rhetoric. Bruce truly has a grasp of the principles that make our field interesting to me. I do not agree with everything he says, but even when I disagree, I find his arguments compelling and challenging.

This series of articles is well worth the read for people in and out of the security field. Bruce addresses many topics from the predicted technical security, to identity theft and on to terrorism.

Pick it up and enjoy... or
Benjamin
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
As always, Schneier presents a variety of security problems and solutions of varying levels of complexity, examines and scrutinizes others' security proposals in a straight-forward manner, and explains the logic he used to reach his conclusions, and does all of this very well. Though all of it is interesting, his ideas on systems of economic incentives and disincentives, voting security, and security and politics are of particular noteworthiness.
Rick Mavrick
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A roughly collated collection of mini-essays focusing on the economics, politics or pop. psychology of security issues. The scatter-shot selection of the essays enjoyably and pragmatically covers a broad collection of topics if only to say (from 2009) "See I told you that was crap, in Wired, in 2002". The grumpiness is mostly endearing and "the way things should be" is jingoistically American but perhaps not insidiously so.
waitsforsleep
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Required reading for anybody who builds software systems for a living or fun. Schneier's style of stating his case is simple and clear enough that you might end up learning something even if you are not a "technical" person and just have a passing interest on how we make security trade-offs in our day to day lives
Jonathan
Jul 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical, science
A nice collection of short essays grouped together by topic that provides a better view of each topic as a whole. Slightly disjointed simply because it is a collection of making it difficult to build a larger overall case without any framing of the essays as examples. A good read but not outstanding.
Lukas
Apr 26, 2009 rated it liked it
It's a wake up call in some ways and I like the way he pounds his points home. Certainly got me thinking a lot more about ubiquitous security. However as a book - this is more a collection of all his published articles so they are repetitive as his points evolve. I wish it was written more like a book.
Angelo
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I love Bruce Schneier's writing, it it really tough to plod through all of this material in a single book.

If only there were an indexed, searchable, digital way to expose this material. It would form a web of articles, all in a single site; how about calling it a "website?"
Matthew
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'd read a number of selections in other places, but having it all in one place makes this a great book for someone trying to understand the security landscape of the modern world. Lots of points to dive in where your interests align.
Fredrik
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: security
There are interesting nuggets here, but the book is nothing more than a collection of his writing. For long time readers there'll be repetition and some of the content is somewhat less relevant years after it first came out. Worth a read though.
Joy
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I had read the majority of these essays in their original venues or online, as it turns out. Schneier is one of the most cogent people writing on matters of security; what hurt the most re-reading these pieces from 2006-2008 is what hasn't changed.
Arjen
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Collection of essays Schneier published over the last decade or so. Schneier is always pointing you at the 'security mindset', think out of the box.

I especially enjoyed the chapter about why he leaves his private wifi network open and the chapters about the psychology of security.
Robert Mcmahon
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Great book with interesting insights on the current state of security and "security theatre". A good read for anyone interested in the topic of security!
Thejesh GN
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Actually they are posts from his blog which I enjoy.
Tim Plona
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
A series of previously printed articles. Some dated, some a bit repetitive.
Tim
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great overview of what actually makes us secure - and what makes us feel secure but does nothing. I quite liked that there was very little technology in the book
Tommy /|\
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a bad book. A collection of his articles and essays that have been published in various locations - Bruce's material talks about security concepts from a wide variety of angles and perspectives.
Brandur
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A collection of short articles on various types of security practices by security expert Bruce Schneier. Lots of good information, except that most of it doesn't go into great depth.
Floh
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, tech
Schneier is great, and so are all these pieces. Sadly they're a bit repetitive when all lumped into one gigantic audiobook.
Masonicinfo
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Should be national security chief!
HenryUTA
  • Learning XML
  • The Essential Engineer: Why Science Alone Will Not Solve Our Global Problems
  • The Army of the Republic
  • Medea: Harlan's World
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Terminal Mind
  • The Design of Sites: Patterns for Creating Winning Web Sites
  • My Life with the Taliban
  • Professional PHP Programming
  • Cryptography Engineering: Design Principles and Practical Applications
  • K Blows Top: A Cold War Comic Interlude Starring Nikita Khrushchev, America's Most Unlikely Tourist

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Bruce Schneier is "one of the world's foremost security experts" (Wired) and the best-selling author of thirteen books. He speaks and writes regularly for major media venues, and his newsletter and blog reach more than 250,000 people worldwide. He is a Fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School and the CTO of Resilient Systems, Inc.