Start by marking “Buford the Little Bighorn” as Want to Read:
Buford the Little Bighorn

Buford the Little Bighorn

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  543 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Buford's giant horns cause him all sorts of problems and even force him to leave his mountainside home, but eventually they make him a hero on the ski slopes.
Published March 23rd 1983 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 8th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Buford the Little Bighorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buford the Little Bighorn

Samantha Tolleson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children 4th grade and up
Recommended to Samantha by: my son
Look everybody he actually exists...
finally gif photo: tumblr_leir068ZAb1qchiw4o1_500.png
For that alone it gets to go from a 3-star to a 4-star rating!
Ronyell
“Buford the Little Bighorn” is a great book from the creative mind of Bill Peet and it is about how a little bighorn named Buford tries to cope with his enormous horns while trying to survive the dangers of the forest by himself. “Buford the Little Bighorn” is a great story about accepting yourself that children will love for many years!

Bill Peet has done a fantastic job at both illustrating and writing this story. Bill Peet’s story about how Buford has to struggle with his enormous horns is hea
Tamischall
Loved when he rode his horns...
Karen
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Cute book. Now when we see bighorn sheep around the desert and at the Living Desert, we think of this book.
Peacegal
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humane-education
This is a wonderful little story with a humane message.

Buford is a bighorn ram whose enormous horns cause all sorts of problems for him. Fearing that his horns will eventually trip him up and cause his untimely end, Buford says goodbye to his friends and leaves his craggy mountainside home.

Down in flatlands of the valley, Buford can trot for the first time without fear of falling. He hides out at a cattle ranch for a spell, with the understanding that humans are the sort of creatures who usuall
Joe
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
When hunters appeared in the story, my grandson pointed to what they were carrying and said, "What's that?"
"It's a rifle," I said.
"What's a rifle?" he asked.
"It's a kind of gun. These men are hunters, and they want to kill animals."
"Why?"

Bill Peet was one of the best storyteller/illustrators of the 20th century, and this is one of his better ones. The drawings, as usual, are wonderful. As in so many of his books, he both charms you and brings up issues that might blindside you if you aren't prep
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Buford is a Bighorn has a problem. He is horn challenged, they are too big. As a result of trying to out run big bad hunters he falls in with some skiers and all is good. I know Bill Peet is iconic, but I often find the conflict set up in his books feels a bit dated. My son was engaged however by his graphics and liked the story so maybe it is just me.
Dorothy
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When my son was little, this was his absolute favorite for many days. At one point, I had the story memorized. Occasionally, I'd change the words slightly, only to be told that "read it right" was what I was supposed to do.
Emily
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Another one of my favorite Bill Peet books. This adorably noble little goat is an example to us all. He's selfless and brave. It's nice to have children's books where the hero is someone to be proud of.
Tim
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-bill-peet
"Weird people are special.". Buford is a small bighorn sheep who is born with abnormally large horns. What begins as a disadvantage turns into a life-saving ability and claim to fame.
Abigail
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Bill Peet is awesome!
Joyce
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
I remember he was feisty & stubborn--Peet could make a character come alive!
Buddy
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Myles
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet, sweet story, there's something about Bill Peet's books that completely win me over.
Justin
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, picturebook
At the library I work at we had to do a bunch of digging to find this book after a patron was looking for a book about "a skiing mountain goat that used his own horns." It's a pretty cute story.
Robin
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute story but a bit predictable.
David Krohse
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bill Peet is the best children's author. The illustrations are fantastic. His books should be as popular as Dr. Seuss.
Amanda
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite childhood "picture" books!! If you have kids, I highly recommend this author...I love Bill Peet!
Pam
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I love Bill Peet
Ash
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
This one of Peets didn't do much for me.
McKay
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My favorite picture books as a kid.
Cyndi
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A sweet little book about a perceived weakness that turns out to be a great strength.
Marcelaine
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is another really long one, but Kevin and I enjoyed it. Great story, fun ending.
Jeremy
The hunters seem pretty close to the ski resort, but whatever.

Pic here.
  • Calvin and Hobbes 1: Thereby Hangs a Tale
  • Vater und Sohn, Bd. 3
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft