Start by marking “The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 3: The Book of the Iron Fist” as Want to Read:
The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 3: The Book of the Iron Fist

The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 3: The Book of the Iron Fist

(The Immortal Iron Fist #3)

There have been sixty-six men and women to carry the mantle of The Immortal Iron Fist throughout the ages - men and women of great courage, valor, skill, and sacrifice. Sixty-six men and women have stood between man and the unstoppable forces of evil, willing to give all they have to hold back the hordes. This is the story of four of them - Wu Ao-Shi, the Pirate Queen of P ...more
Hardcover, Premiere, Illustrated, 160 pages
Published October 22nd 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 3

Bradley
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have a split mind on this volume. The stories in it are pretty good, standalone, rather one-shot pieces of past Iron Fists. Good, but only tangentially have anything to do with Danny's main story. Good for backstory and the whole legend, but not great for keeping the pacing up.

Fortunately, the art and their tales ARE good.

Win some, lose some. I still love it all, however. :)

Frédéric
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
After 2 good volumes I'm not too thrilled by this one.

Issues 1 & 2 are stories of Iron Fists of old. Not badly written but very anecdotal.
Third is much better. Danny dismantles Rand Corp. to give to charity aid and discovers a terrible thing about the Iron Fists. The last page is very well done.

Then it's a special about Orson and John Aman. Four parts, four very unequal pencilers-the best by far being Stefano Gaudiano-supposed to explain why Aman took sides with Danny in vol.2. Again, very a
Aaron
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A collection of independent stories featuring different people who have held the mantle of Iron Fist over the years, including Wu Ao-Shi (1545), Bei Bang-Wen (1860), Orson Randall (early 20th century), and the origin issues of Danny Rand from the '70's.

The more I read about Iron Fist and the mythology that's been woven around the character, the more excited I get about the upcoming Netflix series. The glimpse into the past tales of former Iron Fists really gives the present day hero and the whol
Clarissa
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This has been a solid series so far. Although, this does feel like a bit of a filler so go away from the main story line revolving around Danny, but I still find the history of the Iron Fist compelling so I like learning about other people who once held the mantle.

You don't get a ton of character here but you can still see the depth of the relationships between Danny and Misty and Danny and Luke. *sings* "It's guy love...." (okay, I won't, but y'all know it's beautiful. This makes me excited for
Michael
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Awesome comic. The tales of previous Iron Fist were great. The one thing I wasn't so into was the reprints of the first two Iron Fist comics from the 70's. I wasn't sure if they were reprints at first. They have been recolored which makes them look amazing. I just don't like how they have to explain everything that is going on. I feel comic are more of a visual medium and the art can tell the story. I don't need a narrator telling me Iron Fist is punching a guy when I can see it. That was the on ...more
Christopher Mclean
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic, anthology style book, showing off a few different Iron Fists throughut the ages. Most of the stories are very interesting, and I really enjoyed the distinctive art styles and tones used for the different eras and places explored.

Doesn't link into the main Immortal Iron Fist story very heavily but it a great read all the same.
Matthew
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From meh to good with some bright spots

This collection left me wanting the next volume but not because of consistent quality. 3.5/5 stars

Honestly there were a few frames and dialog that made me cringe. I could see arguing for a 3/5 stars especially relative to the first two volumes. I may come back and revise the review after the next volume.
Vahid
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a few creative stories on previous warriors who had held the title of the Immortal Iron Fist. And, reprints of some of the early stories, which just makes the TV show all the lamer by comparison.

This wraps up the Fraction/Aja run...I think I'll track down their Hawkeye run as well...
Annemarie Kuhnau
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Took me along time to finish...I like that I learned more about the previous Iron Fist but really felt like a filler and a bit of a waste of time in reading....Looking forward to getting back to the story line.
t.i.m
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-geekdom
3.5
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Worst volume in the series so far
Derek Neveu
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disjointed but interesting. I find it odd that Faction tapped out leaving the storyline where he did, but he did, and now I have to give Swierczynski a fair chance. Time will tell!
Paul Muad'Dib
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Za całość
JetsFan
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thise comic is so incredible!.
Ragnarök
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cómic-manga
EL tomo final del arco de las 7 ciudades celestiales, que acaba con el inicio del siguiente arco.
Derek Bailey
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Please note: This section of the post contains some spoilers for Volumes 1 and 2 of THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST series.

Throughout the first two volumes in this series, readers have been given glimpses into the figures from the past who have wielded the power of The Iron Fist. This volume, however, brings some of those stories to the forefront. While this is certainly a treat for anyone who might have been curious about the various Iron Fists that have shown up in different historical flashbacks, I al
Pratikshya
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the look we get into the legacy and the others who have carried the mantle of Iron Fist.
Alasondro Alegré
★★★ ...more
Todd
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book tackles a bit of history leading up to some of the events in the first two books. The theory behind this bit of history giving I'd assumed was to take a stab at making the Iron Fist saga more interesting. Sadly the stories didn't tie together overly well, nor did they contribute much to the story of the current Iron Fist.

The stories do bring to light a common theme though of Iron Fists leaving the fold over emotional reasons. Most didn't even spend time defending their sacred city. In
Tays
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
For a supporting volume to the previously established story arcs, this was quite endearing. The rich history of the Iron Fist title became a little more appealing since you would actually get a a few peeks at the book Danny Rand had in his hands - atleast in terms of the previous people who held the title that is. Apart from that, you are being introduced to the origins of how Danny became the current Iron Fist and what lead him into becoming one. It's an earnest well written compilation of stor ...more
Bodea
I enjoyed the short stories about others that have held the mantle of the iron fist. I also enjoyed seeing where Danny and his team were at after what took place in the last volume and reading about his origins. Still, after the complicated, but tight storytelling in the last volume, this one was a little low key for me. The art is growing on me though. It gets better with each volume and it fits just right with the story.
Kanon
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cómic
El dibujo y la composición de páginas de David Aja es impresionante. El capítulo que cierra este tomo es un regalo, tanto en ilustración como en guión, qué manera de dejar al lector con la intriga cuando Daniel descubre otro nexo de unión de los diferentes Puño de Hierro, si cabe más extraño que los místicos. La secuencia final es tremenda, con el shock que experimenta Danny al ver la cifra sobre el pastel.
Sophie
Jul 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This volume is a bit of a hodgepodge of stories rather than a collection with a focused plot, but it does give once again a sense of who the other Iron Fists were and what Danny's history is. I really enjoyed the two stories about earlier Iron Fists (Wu Ao-Shi and Bei Bang-Wen), and the artwork was pleasing as always. If you liked the earlier volumes, you should get this one. It's fun and really good, non-dumb entertainment. (And I just have to say: I love Danny. Oh god, how I love Danny.)
Pturingan
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero
This is the weakest of the three Iron Fist volumes I've read so far, but it's still pretty good... just not as awesome as the first two volumes were. The three Iron Fist issues were pretty good but I was not a fan of the Orson Randall story as well as the two "Origin of Danny Rand" stories. In any case, I'm still hooked by the series and looking forward to reading the next volume. I'm a bit worried in the change in writers but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Cory
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The first thing to say is that this one certainly brought it's A-game with the first half, but certainly left off on the second half. So it would be five if not for the Iron Fist origin story which could be seen as unnecessary and redundant. The other stories were top notch and gave real depth to the Iron Fist mythos.
Angela
Stories of different Iron Fists through the ages. A woman who falls in love with a fisherman. A man who becomes a slave. And finally Danny, who wants to spend all his fortune on good causes. I really liked the woman's story and the historical setting. It feels like a short story book, with stories that you wish were longer. A good read.
Brad
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
This book is by design less focused than the last two Iron Fist books and it suffers for being a clip show. The two stories on historical Iron Fists are fun, and the lone present day story about Danny Rand does a good job tying in that history to "our" Iron Fist's motivation, but I wanted to see more of that propelled story, not more backstory on Orson Randall and Danny Rand.
Mitchell
Another fine romp through the back stories of the many Iron Fists. As well as more recent Danny Rand stories. I'm just glad that the later written stories don't spend the time to name every silly attack. What makes this book as strong as it is, is that the stories and characters are actually different. And they don't spend a whole lot of time explaining.
Tommy
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
It was really nice to see stories of past Iron Fists mixed in to the series. Not only is it interesting evolution and back story but it's helpful to know that Danny Rand, a white guy, is the outlier in a string of immortal weapon's from K'Un Lun, a mystical city that teaches kung fu and only has an entrance in rural China.
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: avengers, comics
A collection of stories exploring past and present bearers of the Iron Fist title.

Lots of martial arts action and interesting concepts.
Art and story lines range from fair to excellent.

Notes
Good for those looking for an alternative to traditional comics and those interested in lesser know Marvel characters.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 4: The Mortal Iron Fist
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 1: The Last Iron Fist Story
  • X-Factor, Vol. 3: Many Lives of Madrox
  • Agents of Atlas
  • NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face
  • Strange: The Doctor Is Out!
  • Nova, Volume 1: Annihilation: Conquest
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art

The Immortal Iron Fist (5 books)
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 1: The Last Iron Fist Story