Start by marking “Island of the Sequined Love Nun” as Want to Read:
Island of the Sequined Love Nun

Island of the Sequined Love Nun

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  28,367 ratings  ·  1,354 reviews
Take a wonderfully crazed excursion into the demented heart of a tropical paradise—a world of cargo cults, cannibals, mad scientists, ninjas, and talking fruit bats. Our bumbling hero is Tucker Case, a hopeless geek trapped in a cool guy's body, who makes a living as a pilot for the Mary Jean Cosmetics Corporation. But when he demolishes his boss's pink plane during a drun ...more
Published May 25th 2004 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Island of the Sequined Love Nun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island of the Sequined Love Nun

·  28,367 ratings  ·  1,354 reviews

Lyn
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore tells the story of Tucker Case, a ne’er do well corporate pilot who, after a hilarious allusion to Shakespeare, winds up in a chaotic Moore created bad trip in Micronesia.

Somewhere along the way we meet reformed cannibals, a transvestite Filipino navigator, some wacky Pacific Ocean cargo cults, and the ghost of a WWII fighter pilot. Not one of his best novels, all the same, Christopher Moore novels join the ranks of pizza and sex where a good
seak
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2012
Christopher Moore is a popular writer and satirist in the vein of Terry Pratchett and Kurt Vonnegut with titles like Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal; You Suck: A Love Story; and many Moore (how could I resist?).

Island of the Sequined Love Nun was actually my first foray into his work, but what got me more than anything else, even more than Moore's popularity and humor, was the title itself. It says it all. And after having read it, it's actually an extremely fitting t
Becky
I have read and really enjoyed quite a few of Moore's books, but this wasn't one of them. It just didn't do it for me. I didn't find it funny or quirky or even interesting. I didn't care what happened to any of the characters, and honestly, it just felt too try-hard to be all of the things that one expects from Moore.

Kimi, the male cross-dressing prostitute with a pet bat named Roberto (Rodrigo? something like that.), was the only character I actually liked at all, and that was only because he
Mick
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Okay. I like humor. Some people tell me, based on my looks, it's darn good I like humor, 'cause I sure need a sense of it. I like funny movies, funny stories, dirty jokes; what I don't see a whole lot of, are funny books. I mean, laugh-out-loud funny books.

ISLAND OF THE SEQUINED LOVE NUN is a witty exception. I had read Christopher Moore before ("Coyote Blue"), and while I enjoyed his work, his humor was just a tad too quirky (and for me, that's saying something). But with this book, I had a go
Elise
Jan 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dick joke enthusiasts
Shelves: abandoned, fiction, 1990s
This book reminded me of Meet the Parents, a movie that I stopped watching after the main character's name was revealed to be Gaylord Focker (his first name has "gay" in it and his last name sounds like "fucker"! That is hilarious). So when Moore presented the character Zoophilia Gold, I knew that the book could safely be added to my trade-in pile.

Granted, my simple lady-mind is ill-equipped to recognize and appreciate humor. In the 30 or so pages before Zoophilia's entrance, nothing struck me a
Martin
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet cannibal Pacific islanders who;
really believe in the Cargo Cult religion,
worship a real life Sky Princess,
who gives them Hollywood magazines and coffee.
Meet her colleague, who is also worshiped as the Sorcerer, who harvests organs from the cannibals.

Follow the wild adventures of an American pilot, a cross-dressing Filipino navigator and a multi-lingual fruit bat as they land on the island of the Sequined Love Nun.
They don't know it yet, but they will attempt to save all the islanders.

A fa
Bandit
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure it's impossible not to enjoy Christopher Moore's books. His awesome imagination creates these terrifically preposterous scenarios and his killer combo of wit and humor turn every story into such a fun read. About the only author to consistently have me laugh out loud during reading. Tucker Case is a disgraced pilot with a quite literally Shakespearean (Hamletian to be specific) past and a revoked license. When he gets an offer he simply can't refuse to be a private pilot for a sm ...more
Marvin
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does Christopher Moore know how to write a bad novel? Does he even know how to write an average novel? While Island of The Sequined Love Nun is not the equal of Lamb and A Dirty Job, it is still a total delight with Moore's cast of insane characters and tightly woven if outlandish plots. And of course It is frigging hilarious. Cargo Cults, talking bats, stripper bimbo masquerading as goddess, pink Lear jets, transvestites. All the sort of things that no one but Moore could tie together in a funn ...more
Ralph Pulner
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Since reading Dream Park by Larry Niven as a young lad, I've always had an interest in Cargo Cult stories. This was a lot of fun, but not as engaging as I'm used to from a Christopher Moore book. I didn't connect with a lot of the characters like I usually do with his stories. I enjoyed it, but can I safely say I'll remember it a month from now?
Wendi
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
When you read the first chapter of this book you will say to yourself, what the He**? Only not in a bad way. I could not stop reading and actually had read halfway through by the end of the day. It is about a washed up pilot who is an alchoholic and is asked to fly a jet for a Mary Kay type person. Needless to say, the jet is bright pink. The opening chapter sums the main character up pretty much in a nut shell, his luck with flying, booze and women. It only gets better from there. I hope I didn ...more
Twan
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Island of the Sequined Love Nun is absolutely hilarious. Christopher Moore has a style akin to Tom Robbins, of whom I am a big fan. Sardonic and clever. Excellently ridiculous story line, completely engaging. If done right, could be made into an excellent movie. I highly recommend this read.
Rachel
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-08, humor
somewhere between 3 and 4 stars...but definitely closer to 4.

very different from the previous christopher moore i've read.

i guess i've stuck to the "supernatural" moore (except for "lamb" which is in a genre of its own), so this is the first "normal" novel of his that i've read.

(and yes, i use the term "normal" very loosely)

"island..." was reminiscent of carl hiaasen (one of my favorite authors), so overall i really enjoyed it.

i was slightly disappointed with the ending...i felt it just sort
stormhawk
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remarkably Crazy

Like most of Christopher Moore's books, I can't reveal much, if any, of the plot without spoiling the delight. Rest assured, there is a whole lot of quirky going on to the tune of the Glenn Miller Orchestra, Technicolor explosions, and the most horrific personal injury in the history of American literature.
Esther G. Recuero
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desternillante, alocada, fresca y con unos momentos encantadores.
Nunca el perderse en una isla de caníbales fue tan divertido ni tan romántico.
Una joya de Moore.
Vídeo reseña con más información: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TiNc...
Yael
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've now read several of Christopher Moore's novels, and each one leaves me more impressed with his skill as a novelist than the previous one. Island of the Sequined Love Nun is no exception. The story of Tucker Case, a totally hopeless geek trapped in the body of a gorgeous jock, Island of the Sequined Love Nun is an epic journey into a world of cargo cults, cannibals, mad scientists, ninjas, and one talking fruit bat.

After Tucker Case manages to demolish his boss's pink executive jet during a
Nic
Jan 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Just not my type of book. I only read it because a client of mine brought it in to me claiming I needed to read it as it is one of her favorite books. I don't think she knows much of my reading tastes and because she loved it thought I might too. I did not enjoy it in the least and just found it stupid. Sorry to those of you who love this book it's just not something I would ever choose to read on my own. I can understand people liking it if this is the type of book they usually read, if it is t ...more
Delta
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2015
In the last few months I become a big fan of Christopher Moore's work. He's got this dark humor thing that really works for me and I often find myself laughing out loud. This book was a bit more serious than some of his last work, but it had just enough wild adventure to really keep me interested. It's a level of absurdity that you would have a hard time finding in another author.

I listened to the audio version and narrator did a pretty good job. Some of the voices of the natives were odd, but t
Marta
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shark People, a Sky Priestess, a Sorcerer, Roberto the talking fruit bat, a man-girl navigator, an old grouchy cannibal and a complete loser who thinks with his penis make up the cast of Island of the Sequined Love Nun. In proper Moore form, some supernatural and some insane silliness ensues. Tucker Case starts out as sex obsessed loser jerk, but slowly turns into a decent human being while uncovering the mystery and his sense of decency.

Starts out rather low-brow and dated, but it picks up and
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
Feb 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: _-_abandoned_it
I suspect that if I was the type of person who found the very idea of naughty spanking unbearably hilarious, I would have loved this book. Moore seems to write for the kinds of people who consider the phrase "fur handcuffs" to be a laff-riot punchline, deserving of its own paragraph. Sorry -- I've read enough shocking filth that sex on a plane doesn't strike me as all that titillating.
Bettie☯
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
pub 1997
boy humour
autumn 2012
madcap adventure
fraudio

Not sure I will get to the end of this but it's enjoyable enough in the background for the moment.

3* Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
2* Island of the Sequined Love Nun
TR A Dirty Job
2* Practical Demon Keeping
4* The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove
Eric
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What do you get when you mix a disgraced pilot, the CEO of Mary Jean Cosmetics, a lazy Australian journalist, a sky priestess, a shady doctor, a cannibal, a talking fruit bat, and a Micronesian cargo cult? The plot of a zany-as-it-is-absurd Christopher Moore novel. While it dragged in a few parts in the middle, the payoff in the last act was well worth the ride.
Kelli
Jul 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those wanting a dark quirky comedy
I have recently discovered the strange, crude, hilarious world of Christopher Moore. This book happens to be one of my favorites. It's packed with memorable characters and crazy plot twists all set in the wonderful South Pacific. Cannibals, ninjas, hurricanes, stolen organs, and talking bats... Oh my!
Anna Knutson
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best travel book ever! Light hearted and easy enough to digest even with the most crippling jet lag, but plenty of twists to keep you turning pages. I <3 Christopher Moore.
Madeline
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-moore-books, humor
Amusing:
Quite entertaining; pleasantly diverting; causing a smile or laugh!

John
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
At his best -- as in novels like Fluke, Lamb and Noir -- Christopher Moore is close to being our finest living humorous writer. Even his lesser novels, of which this is one, offer good entertainment.

Underqualified pilot Tucker Case loses his job flying for the boss of a cosmetics corporation when he's about a mile low in altitude for an initiation into the mile-high club. His piloting mentor points him in the direction of a new job in the remotest corner of Micronesia flying medical supplies f
Karin Garcia
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very fun relaxing read. The feel to me was like Road to Bali meets Sean Connery era James Bond...which is a compliment. I liked the setting😊 🏝
Stephanie Griffin
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Island of the Sequined Love Nun, by humor writer Christopher Moore, begins with a ne’er-do-well pilot named Tucker Case, hanging upside down from a breadfruit tree, about to be a cannibal’s next meal. After crashing a plane belonging to the Mary Jean Cosmetic Corporation, he gets a job offer from a missionary doctor on a tiny island in the Western Pacific ocean. An adventurous trip just trying to get to the island ends with him in the tree and begins the mysterious story of the island itself.

Sa
Sara
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lol
How this book escaped my radar for so long I’ll never know but this absurdist romp through the South Pacific was much in the same vein as The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific, but while the Moore’s book is fiction and Sex Lives isn't, Island of the Sequined Love Nun is so rooted in reality that that’s where the joy in reading this came from for me. If you’ve spent any time with people who live on dots in the Pacific you’ll know the truth behind this fiction as well.

If yo
Chris White
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like any good book will do, this one is going to change me, I just know it. And I'm scared.

I had to track this sucker DOWN, okay? I usually read books that are available at my local library, and this one was on a back shelf in a distant annex across town, which boded something, right off the bat. And when I finally arrived at said location I proceeded to confuse the hell out of the librarian--either that or she just enjoyed hearing me repeat the title over and over again out loud.

Here's the deal
Alice
Jun 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I picked this one up because it's been on my to-read for a while, and I needed something light and funny to cleanse my reading palate, so to speak. This was definitely the right choice.

Tucker Case, who shares a history suspiciously similar to a certain Prince of Denmark, gets himself in hot water with a prostitute who wants to join the mile-high club. His best friend gets him out of the way by shunting him off to a job in the South Pacific, where he's supposedly running supplies for a tiny islan

• Pest Control
  • Divine Misfortune
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Santa and Pete: A Novel of Christmas Present and Past
  • Foop!
  • Stormy Weather
  • The Fandom of the Operator

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums
“Boredom can be a lethal thing on a small island.” 166 likes
“After all the evidence is in--after you've run all the facts by everything you know--and you're still lost, you have to do some things on faith.” 20 likes