Start by marking “Water Witch” as Want to Read:
Water Witch

Water Witch

People are disappearing in the mysterious bayous of Louisiana and it's up to a "water witch", a woman with powers of divination, to try to find them before more people disappear.
Published September 1st 2008 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Water Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Witch

Werner
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural horror who don't mind bad language
Recommended to Werner by: The author
Note, Sept. 24, 2016: I've tweaked this much-amended review once again, to remove language critical of the Federal disclosure requirements for free review copies. Though I originally resented these as insulting to reviewers, I've come to recognize that readers of reviews are entitled to that kind of above-board disclosure. (I know a bit more about abuses in the book trade now than I did back then!)

Note, Aug. 20, 2013: After reflecting on this book in the four or so years since I've read it, and
Carl Alves
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deborah Leblanc uses her unique talents and gothic Bayou style in creating a tale filled with terror and suspense. In Water Witch, the protagonist Dunny Pollock has a special talent, she has an extra digit, which allows her to find things. In the old days this was used for finding water, but Dunny can find other things such as people. Her sister Angelle enlists her help in finding two missing children who have been abducted by a man who is trying to invoke ancient Indian spirits in order to atta ...more
Michelle
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
A woman with a supernatural ability to find lost things is called to the swamps of Louisiana by her sister to help find two missing children. I would have really liked this book if it hadn't ended with so many loose ends. I was very intrigued by some of the ideas in the book such as the teeaunt and the prayer tree. The Poochie character is awesome as well. But other elements of the story just don't get explained well.
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Dunny was born with a special gift of an extra finger. This finger is unique because it is like a third eye. You could also say that Dunny’s abilities are a curse. She has been called many names and that is why she is pretty much a loner. Two children have been kidnapped. Dunny has been called to help. She travels down to the swampy backwaters of the bayous of Louisiana. Dunny soon learns that the children’s kidnapping is connected with an old ancient Indian ritual.

Water Witch is the first book
MissSusie
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a good paranormal mystery. Dunny is a water witch a human diviner she has an extra finger that works as a divining rod which can find anything from water to oil to people. I’ve seen some people call this horror but I didn’t feel that way about it. It was more a mystery with ghosts & paranormal activity.

When 2 kids go missing in the Louisiana bayou Dunny’s sister Angelle calls her and asks her to come help find the kids. But where these kids are and what they are going through is mor
Ashleen O'Gaea
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror and occult fans
Deborah LeBlanc is an inspiring speaker as well as a devastatingly riveting writer. I've heard her a couple of times at Society of Southwestern Authors meetings -- she was a keynote speaker at the SSA's 2008 conference, Wrangling with Writing. The back-cover quotes about what a brilliant writer of horror stories she is are not at all exaggerated. She's not a one-trick pony, either. Her settings do tend to the Louisiana areas she's most familiar with, but her cast of characters is wide-ranging an ...more
Carolina Dean
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Water Witch is the story of Dunny, an ordinary woman with an extraordinary gift. She has the power to find things that are lost or hidden….car keys, water, wallets, as well as missing people and animals. The only drawback is that her ability is tied to an extra digit on her left hand, which she feels compelled to keep hidden with the use of gloves. That, and the fact that there are numerous people who ostracize her for her gift or wish to use it for their own gain, like finding oil on their prop ...more
Kathie Lambert
Oct 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not sure how this found it's way onto my reading list. Not sure why I even bothered to finish it.
Kristen
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
How does a normal woman get along when she has a supernatural ability? Say you have a sixth finger on your left hand and it really likes helping you find things? Things like missing cats or oil hidden underground... suddenly people look at you in a new light, as an object to help them amass their fortunes. So you hide away in your little house in Texas, thinking everything is going to be fine until your sister in Louisiana calls... suddenly you are flying to the bayou to help look for two missin ...more
Mishel Forte
Sep 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Dunny Pollock is a pretty normal gal. She's stresses about paying her bills and dealing with her deadlines at work as a freelance writer. She has a stray dog that keeps scratching at her door and she doesn't have the heart to shoo it away. So instead, she feeds the scraggly thing and even gives the little moocher a name. But there is something different about Dunny. Because of an extra finger on her left hand, she has been given many names in her younger years - like freak and water witch. How c ...more
Karen Loveridge
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I liked the general plot and characters of this book, but there were a couple of critical problems that made it quite unsatisfying.

The first was that a 7 year old girl and 8 year old boy were missing and yet it was very low key in the scenes set in the town/bar. The first couple of days two children were missing would have the town humming and totally dominate everything. There was a sentence or two about people being out looking, and the sheriff went out to look again, and we were told the poli
Terryann Saint
Huh. This was unusual...I was expecting a set-up for like, a series, and this is not. The characters were pretty strong, one in particular kinds runs away with the book so to speak, leaves the main character a little pale and washed out. I did find it a tad unsettling in some way, but can't figure out why...not sure if I was unsettled in the way the author intended. The ghosts could have had even more time, and I could have used more of them there, but really only because they were so well writt ...more
Kelly Truelove
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I was underwhelmed with Leblanc's 'A House Divided' and didn't have very high hopes going into 'Water Witch.' I was surprised and actually glad to have underestimated the experience I would have with this book. I picked it up yesterday and just a few short hours later, I was closing the back cover and recommending it to my husband. It had an interesting premise with unique elements that aren't overdone and haven't been seen a dozen times before. There are certain core concepts and elements of al ...more
Sonja H
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another GREAT book I got from the goodreads site. I am about halfway through this book. It came autographed, so I definitely will be keeping it since I like the book. The author writes horrors I guess, but so far this is more mystery to me.
The main character Dunny Pollock, is a woman with a gift. She was born with an extra small pinky that was never removed. Early on she learned that her finger could find such things as water, oil, missing pets. Having been treated as a freak and sought after i
David Veith
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3.75. Good read start to finish, well written, grabs your attention right away. Skips some of the little things that can bog a book down or have nothing to do with the main story, granted some things were passed over that maybe more explanation could have been used. Fun all around though. Girl with an extra pinky (which she hid, but honestly who looks at someones hands? found that a bit odd that she was so self conscious of it.) that can find things and uses it to help her sister and crazy grand ...more
Mark
Oct 15, 2010 rated it liked it
A fast-paced and entertaining read if a little light weight (as far as horror/adventure books go). It starts and finishes strong and the author is very good at creating suspense and sustaining momentum. She also draws interesting colorful adult characters (particularly the bayou locals) but her children don't ring true and she has tendency to pull her punches--ie a chapter ends or the focus switches right before something bad happens. This is a relief, of course, because the author has created l ...more
Sylvia Frances
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dunny was born with a special gift of an extra finger. Dunny’s abilities can also be a curse. She's been called several names and that is why she's a loner. Two children were kidnapped. Dunny's sister called her to help. She travels to the swamps of Louisiana. Dunny soon learns that the children’s kidnapping is connected with an ancient Indian ritual.

I finished this book in two days. I was hooked, and it did keep me on edge. Poochie was my favorite character. She reminds me of a great-great uncl
Bridget
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You think you had it rough as a kid trying to fit in but try walking in Dunny's shoes. It seems the more she tries to extinguish her powers and live a normal life, something happens and she is the only one who can make things right. When a couple of kids vanish from thin air, Dunny has to decide what is more important, staying under the radar or saving two lives.

Talk about suspense! I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book. Another must-have author.
Julie
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
April
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
An ok read about a woman who can sense lost things through her sixth finger. I liked the setting (Louisiana Bayou) a lot and the characters were pretty good, but the buildup in the plot was a little too slow for me. Dunny goes to visit her sister who is newly married and scared of something ghostly in a small Louisiana town. That combines w/the antagonist's Native American plot to get power by torturing small children.
Kristin The Bookworm
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011, mystery
Jennifer McMurrain
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
A great book, though I still kind of saw the ending coming I wasn't sure how she was going to get there. Kept me reading way past my bedtime. One crit, if you're gonna have a romantic interest there should probably be some romance. Just sayin'.

*Side note, met this auther at the OWFI conference in OKC. Very entertaining speaker.
Mckenzie
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Edmund Lester
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
When two kids are kidnapped in a small Louisiana town one local resident calls her sister - who has a supernatural knack of finding things (thanks to an extra finger on one hand).

On the face of it this sounds pretty hokey but the writing is skilful and the characters are wonderfully to visit - especially a cantankerous grandmother you just help liking.

Fun!
Terri Lynn
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two kids go missing, kidnapped by crazy guy who thinks he is appeasing ancient indian dieties. Two sisters, one with a gift of finding things/people by a twitchy 6th finger. Louisiana bayou. Pretty good !!
Ken
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book frustrated me. Parts of it I really enjoyed and other parts seemed to drag on forever. Some of the characters were well developed and interesting and others were poorly defined and ended up playing a bigger role than I anticipated. I was glad to be able to finish it.

3 STARS
Jamie  Leigh
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I started this book last month. I had to put it down and start over due to life. I really liked the suspense and thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have another one of this author's books and I can't wait to read it.
Grace
Jun 07, 2010 added it
Inclusion of Native American elements seriously downgraded the whole story. Pawnees in Louisiana???? Totally wrong tribe for the area. A person who is 1/3 Pawnee??? The author (and editor!) is totally ignorant of blood quantum protocols.
JoAnn
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent horror book. Characters you can easily grow to love. I find myself wanting to know more of what happens to Dunny and her family. I think that is the best kind of book, one that keeps you imagination going long after you have finished the last page.
Starlyn
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Deborah Leblanc came to our school and spoke to our students. We got autographed copies of two of her books. Can't wait to see what they are about.

Quite a bit of the occult, etc.... kind of oooky
  • Random Magic
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Headstone City
  • Bloodstone
  • Pennies for the Ferryman (Dead Eye #1)
  • Ginger High
  • A Banquet for Hungry Ghosts: A Collection of Deliciously Frightening Tales
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • Bleak History
  • Plague of Spells (Forgotten Realms: Abolethic Sovereignty, #1)
  • The Hidden
  • Ghosts of Coronado Bay (Maya Blair Mysteries, #1)
  • Spera, Volume 2
  • Crimson
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • Dead Sexy
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • Arson (Arson, #1)
Deborah LeBlanc is an award-winning, best-selling author and business owner from Lafayette, Louisiana. She is also a licensed death scene investigator, a licensed private investigator and has been a paranormal investigator for over twenty years. Deborah is currently the house ‘clairsendium’ for the upcoming paranormal investigation television show, Through the Veil.

She served four years as preside