Start by marking “Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1)

Bloodsucking Fiends

(A Love Story #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  56,109 ratings  ·  2,379 reviews
There is an alternate cover edition here.

Jody never asked to become a vampire. But when she wakes up under an alley dumpster with a badly burned arm, an aching neck, superhuman strength, and a distinctly Nosferatuan thirst, she realizes the decision has been made for her.

Making the transition from the nine-to-five grind to an eternity of nocturnal prowlings is going to tak
Published June 1st 2004 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodsucking Fiends, please sign up.
Chelsea I read the second one first without realizing it. I think it stands on its own fairly well. If you have the option to read in order, though, I would…moreI read the second one first without realizing it. I think it stands on its own fairly well. If you have the option to read in order, though, I would recommend it. I was having issues with finding the first book shortly after I started You Suck, so I just finished YS and now working on Bloodsucking Fiends.(less)

·  56,109 ratings  ·  2,379 reviews

Patrick
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let's cut right to the chase here.

I discovered Christopher Moore him about two years ago, and since then I'm pretty sure I've either read (or listened to) everything he's written.

I really enjoy his books. They're tightly written, clever, and funny, funny, funny....

How much do I like his writing? Let me put it this way:

Let's say I met Christopher Moore at a convention and instead of being the charming gent I know him to be, he turned out to be a total asshole. A real tunk.

Let's say he
Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MoonriseOverSanFrancisco3

C. Thomas Flood lands in the city by the Bay, fresh from the farming fields of Indiana, determined to write a great American novel. He rents a cot from a Chinese entrepreneur named Wong and finds himself living with five other Chinese gentlemen all named Wong as well. The Wongs are excited because they have recently learned that it is legal for two men to marry in San Francisco. Thomas has something they really, really lust for...American citizenship. Needless to say living with five men who lo
Heidi The Reader
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jody was attacked by a man who bit her neck and left her for dead in an alleyway. She woke up a vampire. What is she going to do now?

"(Jody) was twenty-six and pretty in a way that made men want to tuck her into flannel sheets and kiss her on the forehead before leaving the room; cute but not beautiful."

C. Thomas Flood wants to be an author, but where he comes from (Indiana) that's not an acceptable trade for a man. He flees to San Francisco to "starve in the city." After some misadventures with
Melanie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-i-own
3 stars from me. Silly, funny, kinda gross vampire story. I liked it. It's an easy read. I may just seek out the next in the series to find out what happens to everyone. Just what I needed after the heavy and serious book I read right before this.
Maiquel Costa
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terminada la relectura. Es un estilo que para mí es un referente. Cómico, surrealista, fresco y divertido. Quizás no sea un cinco estrellas pero se lo pongo por lo que significa para mí y por lo que me sorprendió en su momento. Y además a Jody y a Tommy se les coge cariño.
Lyn
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Like all of Moore's novels I have read, this one is hilarious.

Could this be the first post-modern vampire book? Romanticism has been either thrown in the corner of the closet or all together defenestrated, this is nuts and bolts of how this immortal stuff works and mythbusting what doesn't.

Really, really fun.

description
Lance Greenfield
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Christopher Moore has an amazing imagination. As I read Bloodsucking Fiends and, a while back, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, I kept asking myself, "Where do all his ideas come from?"

This story is both creative and funny. It is different to any other vampire story that you have read, or will ever read, unless somebody plagiarises Moore.

Tommy is the leader of a gang of oddball supermarket shelf-stackers. Jody is a novice vampire. The two of them form what one would n
Krystin Rachel
This reminded me of the campy vampire movies I loved as a kid: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the original with Kristy Swanson and Donald Sutherland (for some fucking reason) - or The Lost Boys. Perhaps if I'd read Bloodsucking Fiends when it first came out in 1995 I would have a nostalgia towards the story, because I'm fully aware that the only reason, something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer is re-watchable to me is because I saw it for the first time when I was 8. It's not going to hold up for, sa ...more
L
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it helps to read a series in order. In the case of Christopher Moore, though, it's not always necessary. I read "You Suck" first, and thoroughly enjoyed it, then went back and read its precursor, "Bloodsucking Fiends." While BF gave context for YS, each stands on its own as a very amusing quick read.

Jody is attacked walking home from work and wakes up the next evening disheveled, under a dumpster, with one burned hand, and with a load of cash in a paper bag. She returns to her apartme
Nicholas Karpuk
I saw Christopher Moore give a talk at the Tattered Cover recently, and having only read Fluke, I didn't really grasp the nature of his audience. The crowd easily tripled the normal quantity of attendees for that sort of event. His talk resembled a odd sort of stand up comedy routine, and every joke exploded through the room from the uproarious laughter.

For me I'd say a joke hit home about 1 out of every 3 times. His humor is consistently rather broad, he has the demeanor of a elementary school
Mercutio
Jan 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
NOTE: PLEASE STOP COMING TO THIS REVIEW ACTING LIKE I AM CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO FIND THIS BORING ASS BOOK INTERESTING OR FUNNY. IT WAS BORING. I WAS BORED. PLEASE LEARN TO DEAL.

Jody is a grab-bag of stereotypes and is flatter than a cardboard cut-out of Carrie Bradshaw. One has to wonder if Moore had any idea what women are like. Or even people. Perhaps he lives in some secluded Alaskan tundra; in which case I will forgive him his ignorance.

Moore at best seems to be a garbage bag who seems
Cyndi
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every summer my amazing library has a summer reading contest. One of the challenges is to read a book by an author who shares your initials. So I had an excuse to read a book by the hilarious Christopher Moore.
I love his books and this was no exception. A woman wakes up in an alley and discovers she's a vampire. She finds a hick from Nebraska who has moved to NY to become a writer. She needs a 'Renfield' to take care of daylight stuff and he needs to have his heart broken to help his writing.
Felicia
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Very funny vampire novel. I love Moore' tongue in cheek writing.
AH

I first picked up this book because it had an intriguing cover. As I started reading, I realized that this was not your average vampire story. First of all, the characters are very colorful, the writing is humorous, and the vampire lore just a little different from all the other stuff out there.

Jody has been made into a vampire. She was attacked, bitten, left under a dumpster, burned her hand in the sunlight, and left with a shirt stuffed full of money. There was no vampire sire to teac
Gökçe
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaa durun, bu bayağı komik bir aşk hikayesi 😂
Kitabın arka kapağında "Ölümlülerin sıkıcı hayatından gına gelmiş sevgili dostlarımız! İşte karşınızda sonsuz, harika, leziz, ölümüne komedi, yüksek, genç ve aşık bir terane!" diyor. Vaat ettiği her şeyi gerçekten de veriyor üstelik 😂 Fark ettiyseniz ben genelde komik, eğlenceli, kafa dağıtmalık kitapları seviyorum. Bu kitabı da beklentisizce almıştım. Vampir kitabı okuma yaşımı geçtim diyordum ama çaylak vampir komedisi okumak için asla geç değildir
Ben Babcock
C.T. Phipps
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
BLOODSUCKING FIENDS (A Love Story) is a funny book 90% of the time but when the humor falls flat, it falls flat. The premise is Jody is a 26 year old urban professional who gets turned into a vampire, only to immediately recruit a 19 year old would-be-writer to be her minion since she can't go out in the day. This is while she's being stalked by her super-rich creator and Emperor Norton of San Fransisco (mysteriously alive 120 years after his death), who is apparently a vampire hunter now.

The bo
jD
At first I thought I liked this because of the narrator's delivery of the off color vamp Urban Fantasy. But now that it's concluded, I am thinking I just really like Christopher Moore's twisted sense of humor and storytelling. The characters where a blast even down to the two dogs and the cranky cops.

Regretfully, this story was written quite some time ago as a trilogy but only one audio book is still on the market. My library carries the hardcopies but I am loving having this delivered via car s
Krissy
I just could not get into this one. The humor was a little OTT and not in a good way. Some authors can pull it off and some fall flat. This book is an example of the latter. I didn't laugh a single time through the whole thing. And the narrator was awful. Tommy sounded more like a girl than Jody did. Either that or a prepubescent boy. Plus he acted like such a wimp most of the time. I just could not take him seriously. I much preferred the author's book A Dirty Job. I will not continue this seri ...more
Athena
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: folks who enjoy a good laugh
Recommended to Athena by: I've totally forgotten … sorry ...
Shelves: paranormal, humor
Bloodsucking Fiends is a flat-out romp. I snickered, chortled, and yes, guffawed through the entire quick read. Moore writes with quirky ease, managing to seamlessly integrate the sport of frozen turkey bowling into a modern vampire tale featuring an actual, non-sparkly, quite threatening vampire lurking in the background of this modern tale of American romance, unlooked-for vampirism, and over-worked cops.

The perfect light read for summer, or any time you need a good laugh. Go for it!
sj
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: yorwtfiw
This was only my second Christopher Moore novel (and ZOMG I HAVE SO MANY FRIENDS that are all "OH, YOU MUST READ HIM RIGHT MEOW!") so there was a lot of pressure (even if only in my own mind) on me to enjoy this before I'd even started it.

I LOVED Lamb, mostly because it reminded me a lot of mid-Tom Robbins. This? Not as much.

I mean, it wasn't terrible, and I liked it, but if I had started with this book, I'd be in no hurry to return to his work.

But, FFS, every single time I updated my reading pr
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers and Humor Enthusiasts!
Recommended to DJ by: Vampire Research Project
Patrick
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3 and a half stars*
A fun read for sure. A bit odd and quirky
Caroline Åsgård
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I decided to read something light. This is a light, kind of trashy adult vampire novel.
It's hilarious and casual, and not by any means a proper quality novel. It sounds like I'm talking shit about it, but I'm sure it's meant to be that way. And I don't view it in a negative way!

A young woman (Jody) gets turned into a vampire, and she's left alone with tons of cash.
She realizes her life has turned upside down, and meets a young man (Tommy) she thought she could use as her little slave to do her b
Wendy Bunnell
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am so torn about Bloodsucking Fiends I’m not sure what to do. First, I really like Christopher Moore and think that he is hilarious, which is something sadly lacking in most of the stuff I read. Even the books that are listed as humor. So, I’m hard pressed to bag on Moore. And then there is the excellent review of this book by Patrick Rothfuss, who is the author of the very excellent Name of the Wind / Kingkiller Trilogy who adored this book. I love Kvothe, so I’m tempted to not go against Rot ...more
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite, humor
2 Words that describe the book: Vampire comedy

3 Settings where it took place or characters you met:

* Setting: Modern-day San Francisco

* Jody—A fledgling vampire who had her new lifestyle thrust upon her with no warning or choice, Jody is trying her best to make sense of her new undead lifestyle. But getting used to a life lived solely at night can make things a little tricky, so Jody needs a minion to do her bidding, which is where...

* C. Thomas Flood comes in. A wannabe writer from Incontinence
Amy
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires-snore
I should admit upfront that I'm suffering from a severe case of vampire fatigue; that, coupled with disdain for Christopher Moore based on the only other book of his that I read, means that there really was no chance in the world that I was going to enjoy this book, and in fact should never have read it. However, it was this month's book club selection, so read it I did and now we all must suffer the consequences.

Bloodsucking Fiends is the story of several unlikable characters, some of whom are
Aries
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le uscite in Italia dei libri di Christopher Moore sono quanto meno schizofreniche.

Fino a qualche anno fa si trovavano giusto due o tre titoli, poi quando ha iniziato ad avere il meritato successo, la Elliot ha cominciato a pubblicare in parallelo non solo le nuove uscite in tempi accettabili ma anche i romanzi inediti in un ordine non esattamente lineare.

La situazione più assurda è capitata con la trilogia vampiresca.

"You Suck" (tradotto in Italia con "Suck" e da me letto e recensito millenni f
Marcie
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
The interesting thing about this book is how clearly it illustrates the evolution of a writer and his novel-crafting skill. This is NOT the same guy who later wrote Lamb or Angel or Dirty Job…

I looked it up: this was his 3rd (1995) of 13 published works. I had experienced Numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11. Lamb, Angel, Dirty Job, Fool, Lust Lizard, Fluke, all meet and exceed the challenge of using seriously unfunny subjects (religion, death, Shakespeare, mental illness, science) by a Master of Humor
Merril Anil
Apr 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Can you see me laughing...of course you can’t

Okay the single reason, I picked up this book was because everybody was saying how good of a humorous ride it was and that how they find it hard to stop giggling and laughing. once I started reading it, I got confused as to whether this was the same book these people were talking about as nothing was making sense and except that i picked up a book thinking to be funny but was not, nothing seemed to be funny .Then I thought perhaps i am not adult eno
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Monster
  • Big Trouble
  • Pest Control
  • Breathers: A Zombie's Lament
  • The Golden Gizmo
  • Skin Tight (Mick Stranahan, #1)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Vamped
  • Boomsday
  • X-Rated Bloodsuckers (Felix Gomez, #2)
  • The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2)
  • No Dominion (Joe Pitt, #2)
  • Dead End Dating (Dead End Dating #1)
  • Night of the Living Trekkies
  • Lord of the Flies

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums

A Love Story (3 books)
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • Bite Me (A Love Story, #3)
“He was a writer and words were his weapons.” 109 likes