Start by marking “Bright Air” as Want to Read:
Bright Air

Bright Air

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
She stood panting on the narrow ledge, pressing herself back against the hard surface of the rock. She heard a voice, far below, calling her name. She tried to answer, but her throat was parched and no sound came. They had heard the stone, clattering down the cliff to the sea, and now they knew where she was.

On a cliff-face in New Zealand, two men fall to their deaths carr
Trade Paperback, 304 pages
Published July 1st 2008 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Bright Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Air

Lyn Elliott
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A thriller with an environmental issue at its centre. A lively summer read.
Brenda
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Josh returned to Sydney, to his Aunt Mary’s hotel, after spending 4 years in London with his job in finance. He was at a loose end, as his departure from Australia was not a happy one. He had broken up with Luce, his girlfriend, the person he thought he’d spend the rest of his life with, and not long after he’d left, she was killed on a rock climb on Lord Howe Island with the group of close-knit friends he’d also been a part of. Her body hadn’t been recovered, and he felt no sense of closure to ...more
Jessica Verbeek
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Mark Stewart
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Barry Maitland I read and still in my opinion the high water mark for this author, although that's a pretty high mark indeed. The lack of indebtedness to a long running series like Brock and Kolla or the Belltree trilogy meant that Maitland could let his love of place soar and the rock climbing scenes are wonderfully evocative, both mesmerisingly beautiful and viscerally terrifying in equal proportions. The murder mystery has satisfying red herrings and dead ends and is nicely fitted i ...more
Karen
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gripping action, engaging characters. With Barry Maitland the is always a twist, and "Bright Star" is no exception.
Heidi
Bright Air is a well-plotted and imaginative thriller set in the beautiful and unusual location of Lord Howe Island off the East coast of Australia. With believable and engaging characters, a stunning setting and interesting background information on rock-climbing, Maitland escalates tension right up to the story’s surprising and unexpected finale.

Having recently returned to Sydney from England after a four-year absence, Josh is being visited by Anna, an old friend from university and member of
Karen
Jul 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, review-books
Maitland has taken a break from his popular Brock and Kolla series with the release of BRIGHT AIR. It opens with Josh, having recently returned to Sydney after working in London, still mourning the death of his girlfriend Luce, they had both been members of the University climbing club. Luce had fallen to her death off the rugged coast of Lord Howe Island, her body never found, other members of the climbing team on the same trip had said she was climbing on her own and had simply disappeared. Jo ...more
Sharon
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
There's that half star extra rating again :)

This is the first Barry Maitland novel I have read - and surprise surprise (not) I have another 5 on my shelf.
I was a bit worried that I wasn't going to like Maitland's writing style in the first few pages, to be honest it seemed a bit amateurish, but after a few pages I was finding myself slowly drawn in to the story and ended up really quite enjoying it. Not quite a four star though.
Gary Van Cott
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had this on a list of Kathy and Brock books by Maitland, but it isn't part of that series. This story takes place in Australia (where the author has lived since 1984) and Lord Howe Island. I found it to be an excellent book, although the story gets a bit convoluted at the end. The main characters are not police but a man and a woman investigating the death of woman they both knew well. This book is probably more suitable to be made into a movie than any of the Kathy and Brock books.
David
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable crime thriller set mainly in Sydney and Lord Howe Island. I particularly enjoyed the rock climbing theme that was interspersed throughout the plot. My first Barry Maitland book, and a captivating thriller that will compel me to read more of his books in the future.
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian, crime
Fantastic suspense novel featuring climbing on Lord Howe Island/Ball's Pyramid. An eco-suspense thriller.
Spitz
Jan 24, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mysteries
This is apparently not available in the US yet.
Judy O'Laoi
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this Australian mystery, fast moving story, with several intriguing characters. Highly recommended.
Sharron
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
not part of his Kolla and Brock series and not as good. it's set off Lord Howe Island which is why I read it but even the setting (very intriguing) couldn't save the silly plot.
Sue
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Another great read from a master of the crime with a twist!
Ann Tonks
Maybe it's because I hate heights and have no interest in mountain climbing that is the reason that I just couldn't get into this book. I've liked Barry Maitland's work in the past but not this one.
Terese Smith
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it - architectural detail is interesting especially Castlecrag. Ebook from State
Library collection.
Jan 22, 2013
Merilyn
Jun 28, 2016
Bruce Boes
rated it did not like it
Oct 20, 2016
May 06, 2011
Aileen
Feb 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Barry Maitland is the author of the acclaimed Brock and Kolla series of crime mystery novels, which are set in London, where Barry grew up after his family moved there.

His books have been described as whydunits as much as whodunits, concerned with the devious histories and motivations of their characters. Barry's background in architecture drew him to the structured character of the mystery novel,