Start by marking “Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

(Hannah Swensen #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  46,181 ratings  ·  3,217 reviews
Hannah Swensen already has her hands full, between dodging her mother's attempts to marry her off, and running Lake Eden, Minnesota's most popular bakery, The Cookie Jar. But when the Cozy Cow Dairy's beloved deliveryman is found murdered behind Hannah's bakery with her famous Chocolate Chip Crunchies scattered around him, Hannah sets out to track down a killer. The more H ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Kensington (first published April 1st 2000)

·  46,181 ratings  ·  3,217 reviews

Start your review of Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fantastic new series... and now they have a TV series with Alison Sweeney. Nice! It was one of the first cozies I read with recipes and I had to test one or two out. :) More to come on this series... I'm anxious to finish all 20+ books!
Rebbie
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 2016
Ok, so... I'm officially in love with cozy mysteries, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. :P

I heart this genre so much; it walks the tightrope between good old-fashioned, small town, hardboiled noir and straight up cutie patootie-ness.

It's a great break from all the really sad, serious stuff going on around the world and in books, and is a gentle reminder of better days gone by.

Think summertime, a warm breeze passes you by as you're sitting under a beautiful old oak tree reading a comfo
Min
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had been eyeing this book for a while, mostly because the cover amused me so. I finally picked it up when I was on one of my cosy mystery tears. Knowing it had been written in the 80s made the content a little less annoying. Unfortunately, the first book is the best of this sad lot.
However, having read all but the latest (Key Lime Pie Murder, which I am still debating whether or not to read) in the series, I have to say that the series is not that great. The latter books were written more rece
Tracey
The TL;DR version: This was one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

This was a stupid purchase – and a stupid thing to read, for that matter, but I did want something brainless in the middle of my Big Giant Fantasy Series. I got it. It is the first in the Hannah Swenson mystery series, which I didn’t know when I started it. I eventually caught on as the main character reacted to discovering her very first corpse. (She said something to the effect of not making a habit out of discovering bodies
Jilly
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated-it, t-s-t-l, dnf, mystery

Oh HAIL to the NO!!

Did we really stop being monkeys to evolve into reading, thinking beings to read this shit?
Seriously:
A monkey could have written a better story.
A monkey could have solved this mystery without Idiot #1 and Idiot #2.
A monkey police officer wouldn't have made his untrained family member solve the crime for him.

In other words, when it comes to this book, we might as well go back to armpit-scratching and poo-throwing because it is that braincell-stealing dumb.

(Yes, I admit I shoul
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Nov)
I enjoy these types of fluffy cozy mysteries. The Cookie Jar setting was fun and included lots of cookie recipes too.

Enjoyed the character of Hannah Swensen and her snooping ways. The small town setting of Lake Eden was perfect. Hannah's orange cat, Moishe added another cozy addition.

The mystery is light, but the characters made it fun and enjoyable for a little escape.

Recommend to those who enjoy cozy mysteries and follow the characters through the series. This is a long running series and I'm
Kate
Jun 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Is it difficult reading? No. Are the characters the best characters I've ever read? No. But what this series does have going for it is that all the books are a fun, light read. You could probably start reading any of these books as your first and you would have no trouble understanding the characters or the plots (some would find this a plus while others would see it as a drawback, I'm sure).
Hannah Swensen, the main character, while not as pretty as her sister Andrea, or her mother, for that mat
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
"Solving crimes certainly wasn’t as easy as they made it seem in the movies."

Hannah runs a cookie shop in a small town, and her main sources of worry are her mother, who constantly tries to match her with any widowed/divorced man in town, and her younger sister, who takes advantage of her state of single-woman-in-her-late-twenties making her babysit her daughter on a daily basis. Never in her whole life she would imagine that one day, right after opening up her cute, small, cookie shop, she wil
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

You know how you know something isn’t good for you, but you’re still all like . . . .

Yeah. That’s pretty much this book. After all, it is the story of the local cookie shop owner who gets recruited by her brother-in-law (who just so happens to be Barney Fife a policeman) to help solve the first murder Eden Lake has ever had. I mean, I haven’t experienced something this ridiculous since . . . . . well, actually just about
Barbara
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge

I've read other books in Joanne Fluke's 'Hannah Swensen' series so it was interesting to backtrack and read 'book one' for the first time.

Hannah Swensen - a tall, attractive baker - leaves graduate school and returns home to Lake Eden, Minnesota for family reasons. Hannah decides to stay in town and opens 'The Cookie Jar' bakery and café. Hannah's mom and two sisters live in Lake Eden and often become involved in her amateur investigations.

This book features Hannah's mom Dolores - who owns an
Bobbi Jo
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for the quick, easy, light-hearted mystery novels and I really enjoy Joanne Fluke. The characters are fun and the "whodunits" are clever enough. Not surprisingly many of the situations the heroine finds herself in are a bit unlikely. But it's not meant to double your IQ, just entertain and all of her books do well at that.
Kat
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-4
Cookie-maker Hannah is juggling life as a single baker with an opinionated cat and a mother who is determined to set her up with someone in their small town in Minnesota. When her dairy delivery guy turns up dead, Hannah has to help her brother in law, who just made detective, look for clues and solve the case. I love this cozy mystery series for the great recipes and fun quirky characters. I think I gain weight every time I read about Hannah’s cookies 😊 but it’s all worth it. This one kept surp ...more
Carrie
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
I should not have read other reviews of this book, before I did so I was reading along with only a slight nagging annoyance that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I'm not finished yet, but I will only be skimming the last 100 pages in order to find out who done it, I definitely won't be wasting my time with the other books in this series. Don't get me wrong, I love a cozy mystery & read lots of 'em, but why does the main character (if she’s younger than 35) always fall into one of two types in ...more
Mandy
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to give this 4 stars because Hannah figured out who the murderer was and her brother in law was up for a promotion with the sheriff's office if he caught the killer. I am glad it all worked out but I felt like Hannah was doing all the work. She needs to be a cop. I did like the end, too and hope she ends up with the man I like for her. I will definitely read more of these books just because they are a nice, light murder mystery to read. The characters are believable and easy to like. I ...more
Robin Loves Reading
Hannah Swensen is a busy woman who is running Lake Eden, a popular bakery in Minnesota. When she is not creating culinary delights, her mother is trying to fix her up. Hannah isn't ready to settle down, and even if she is, she definitely does not want her mother's help. Hannah is devastated to discover a local delivery man dead, so she is determined to find the killer.

It is not as simple as creating delicious new recipes. No, every time Hannah thinks she has a bead on the murderer, yet another s
Laurie
Mar 16, 2008 rated it liked it
A few months ago, I went to the walk-in clinic because I was feeling miserably sick. They told me the wait would be at least 3 hours. I wasn't about to sit there and read the same out-dated magazines for 3 hours, so I snuck out and picked up this book at Walmart. I normally don't choose mysteries, but I figured anything with the words "chocolate chip cookie" in it had to be worth reading. I devoured this book just like I would a cookie, because it really was a fun and quick read. (I had already ...more
Zyra
this book will definitely leave you craving for delicious cookies. mystery was also interesting and engrossing. I do hope the other books in the series keep my attention.
Sonja
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dawn Michelle by: Kay Bolen and my Mommy

Read~August 30, 2010
3 1/2 Stars

In a way, I was hoping to NOT like this book, because I so do NOT need to be starting another series. Sigh. There goes another wish ungranted, because....
I really LIKED this book. The characters are hilarious, the story/mystery is fun and challenging and the recipes are..pardon the pun..to DIE for!!! ;-)

Hannah is a delightful heroine, and the cast of characters that come along wi6th her and equally delightful! AND, I didn't know "who-dun-it"!!! YAY YAY YAY!!!!
Dagny
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The very likeable Hannah, bakery and pastry shop owner, begins her investigative career because she knew and liked the victim. It's a plus that it helps her policeman brother-in-law's actual career. All the secondary characters are pleasant making this an enjoyable read. Match-making mothers provide some gentle humor. I'll be reading more of this series.
Fred
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This book started the great Hallmark TV series “Murder She Baked”.

Book and Movie Comparisons List

Hallmark’s Murder She Baked TV series

The sweet lovely Hannah Swensen of Lake Eden, Minnesota, runs The Cookie Jar, a coffee shop “serving and selling” goodies.
She finds Ron LaSalle, the Crazy Cow Dairy man, dead in her alley. Then Nat Turner, the bank loan manager everyone hates, found dead.

Hanna & Det. Mike Kingston investigate suspects - they find a Styrofoam cup with pink lipstick. Many s
Vicky Marie
Feb 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Another wannabe detective. Another piece of tripe. I don’t know what I was expecting when I borrowed this audiobook from the library. The synopsis should have said it all.

Hannah Swensen is the most popular baker in Lake Eden. Hannah bakes the best cookies in town, and everyone makes sure to tell her this throughout the whole book. Not like Hannah needs their compliments, because she thinks she’s the Cookie Queen as well. She even goes far as to complain about the caterer’s cookies at the bigges
Yun
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder is the coziest of cozy murder mysteries. Hannah runs a bakery called The Cookie Jar, and when a murder rocks her small town of Lake Eden, she jumps in to help her policeman brother-in-law solve the murder. In between her often tactless questioning of suspects and digging around where she shouldn't, she bakes cookies and dishes them out to every person she meets.

The mystery itself is interesting enough, though the solution isn't clever so much as Hannah just badgers
Darinda
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, mystery-cozy
Hannah owns a bakery in a small town. After the town's local dairy deliveryman is late one morning, Hannah goes to check on him. She finds him in the cab of his truck, shot dead. Hannah does some sleuthing on her own to discover who is the killer.

The 1st book in the Hannah Swensen series. This book also includes recipes for the yummy treats Hannah serves at her bakery.

A quick and easy read. Great for fans of cozy mysteries. Especially ones with a small town setting and lots of food talk.
Bookishrealm
You know what?!? I picked this book up on a whim and I definitely enjoyed it. It's one of the first cozy mysteries that I've read and I loved it. If you're a foodie I would recommend picking this up. The author includes recipes for all of the food she talks about considering that our main character owns a cookie shop. Hannah is a great character. I loved her sense of humor and independence. She definitely handled her own in this case. As far as the conclusion of the case, I didn't really see it ...more
Heather
Oct 16, 2007 rated it did not like it
The only reason I read the book in its entirety is because I was traveling and had nothing else to read in English. Aside from the flimsy plot and even flimsier characters, the thing that irked me most about the book was when the author tried to dress up her writing with mixed metaphors and other weak attempts at plumping up the lackluster text. "She was going to have a shiner the size of the Grand Canyon," and "She looked at the chisel-faced anchorman" ???!! Yes, I know what she meant, but I ca ...more
Amy
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Only my legendary stubbornness got me through this book. I should have quit while I was ahead.
The book felt super disjointed. Hannah bemoans being the 'ugly sister,' hints at some brains (just shy of her doctorate, unless I misunderstood?), and hands out free cookies like she hopes to give the entire down diabetes.
Heck, the entire town might already have diabetes the way they flock to her cookie shop.
Anyway, so a murder happens and Hannah's idiotic brother-in-law convinces her to help him sol
☆☆Hannah☆☆
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is only the first one and I believe there is 23 books in the series. I hope as I continue this series that I will still enjoy it. I'm glad to say that this Hannah did not annoy me. I liked her very much. I wasn't a huge fan of her mother though. It would suck always having your mom try to set you up with every guy she meets. I was happy with the mystery of the book too. I was not able to figure out the killer.
Completely Melanie
This is a new series that I want to devour!
Mitch
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, what a cute quick little summer read! I have been so busy lately, so this part of the summer has been spent reading quick, enjoyable "non-thinking" reads. And this was a nice addition to that list! "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder" by Joanne Fluke is an odorable mystery that takes place in a small Minnesota town where Hannah, a baker and cookie shop owner, stumbles upon a murder behind her shop!

The cast of characters are delightful, and although it is a "murder mystery", it is so cozy and light

• Mastering the Art of French Cooking
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Betty Crocker's Cookbook
  • Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats: A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners
  • Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker
  • Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food
  • Keto Diet for Beginners: 30-Day Keto Meal Plan for Rapid Weight Loss. Ketogenic Meal Prep Cookbook Full of Easy to Follow Recipes! Lose up to 20 Pounds in 30 Days!
  • The New Best Recipe
  • Martha Stewart's Cookies: The Very Best Treats to Bake and to Share
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • The Taste of Home Cookbook
  • Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast
  • Baking: From My Home to Yours
  • The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
  • On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch

Hannah Swensen (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)