Start by marking “Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)

Strawberry Shortcake Murder

(Hannah Swensen #2)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  18,657 ratings  ·  1,187 reviews
When the president of Hartland Flour chooses cozy Lake Eden, Minnesota, as the spot for their first annual Dessert Bake-Off, Hannah is thrilled to serve as the head judge. But when a fellow judge, Coach Boyd Watson, is found stone-cold dead, facedown in Hannah’s celebrated strawberry shortcake, Lake Eden’s sweet ride to fame turns very sour indeed.

Between perfecting her Ch
Published February 2nd 2002 by Kensington (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Strawberry Shortcake Murder, please sign up.
Sheila I found this series by ready book #16 first. So then I went back and started to read #1. It's a fun series to read
…more
(less)

·  18,657 ratings  ·  1,187 reviews

Start your review of Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
James
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hannah is great. She seems very real but I don't know the mid-west all that well, so I have a few more books to read in this series before I come to a conclusion... but I'm looking forward to it.

(MINOR SPOILER, skip next paragraph)

I was glad the coach bit the dust in this one, as he was not a very nice guy... the whole abuse factor (not brought up a lot) made it clear he had to go.

(OK to read)

I loved the way this one was portrayed on the TV series with Alison Sweeney when the made it into a show
Kat
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-4
Hannah and her zany orange cat Moisha are back at it again. A baking contest has come to Lake Eden, and Hannah is making her famous Strawberry Shortcake Swenson (yum! I always get so hungry and want to fill my house with cupcakes reading Joanne Fluke’s cozies with all the delicious descriptions and recipes!)

But when one of the judges is murdered, and it happens to be the basketball coach who Hannah knows has been abusing his wife Danielle, suspicion turns to her. Hannah and her sister Andrea ha
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
"Most people don't lock their garages in Lake Eden. There's practically to crime. If you don't count murder."

When Lake Eden is chosen to host the annual Bake Off competition, Hannah gets busy baking special creations to show off on television. Unfortunately, the violent death of one of the judges will leave everyone with a bitter taste in their mouths. And, once again, Hannah will find a way to get as involved as possible in the investigations... is someone developing a taste for murder?☠️

Hanna
Amanda
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kabul-books
I really liked book #1 and I quickly bought and finished the second installment. Had to lower my rating though because the book is EXACTLY the same as the first one. As if it was written by a template or paint-by-numbers.

(view spoiler)
Elle's Book Blog
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
:: 4 Delicious Stars ::

I adore this series. It is light, action packed, fun, and leaves readers craving for more. Hannah Swensen (the books heroine/amateur sleuth) is very likeable. She is smart, charming, and really knows how to dish out delicious treats! While I do feel like her character could be a bit more dynamic, there really isn’t anything bad I can say about her. Hopefully as the series progresses her character will develop a bit more. In addition to this, the plot is a bit predictable
Rebbie
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 2016
This is the second cozy mystery in the Hannah Swensen series by Joanne Fluke. For those of you who don't know, you can currently watch this series on the Hallmark channel. I personally haven't seen it, although I have heard it's great.

Set in the fictional tiny town of Lake Eden, MI, Hannah Swensen is the owner of a bakery called The Cookie Jar. Once again, there's been a murder, and once again, we find Hannah placing herself in the middle of the investigation.

Why she gets away with this, I don'
Liralen
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
It's a cop-out, but the Hannah Swensen mysteries really only need a lump review:

For some reason, I keep reading these when they show up at the library. I don't know why. Do I enjoy them? Sure. They're trashy murder mysteries that don't always make sense. I can huff at them in irritation when the main character does, or thinks, something especially stupid. They involve recipes.

Actually, the books are formulaic enough that they themselves were written by recipe.

Yes, I will keep reading them, assum
Fred
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
“Strawberry Shortcake Murder” book is used in the "Just Desserts" movie.
2nd in the Hallmark TV series “Murder She Baked”.

Book and Movie Comparisons List

Hallmark’s Murder She Baked TV series

A “cozy mystery” with Hannah Swensen of Lake Eden, Minnesota, running “The Cookie Jar”, her coffee shop “serving and selling” goodies.

In this book, Hannah bakes her “Strawberry Shortcake Swensen” & organizes/runs the “Lake Eden Inn” town’s first annual “Bake Off” contest.

Jordan High’s basketball coac
Julie Tuttle
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

I was hooked from the very beginning. I loved this story and her writing flows so well. I'll definitely check out her next book!
Chrissy
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another delicious murder mystery! Hannah has become a cooking judge in front of a live audience. She is also given her few minutes of fame before each contest begins by baking a recipe and sharing it with the viewers.

One of the judges has to back out at the last minute due to a dental emergency, so the station has to have another person randomly choosen to be a judge on such short notice. They draw the name Boyd Watson. A basketball coach at the local high school where they are filming the bakin
Annette
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Book 2 was no better than book 1. Hannah is still insufferable, and she still treats everyone in town like they're an idiot (in her defense some of them are. "I didn't know raisins are a dried fruit. I thought they just came in a box." Seriously?). The detectives apparently don't do anything, while Hannah's running around nosing into people's personal lives and condescendingly telling her sister how helpful she is! She can count the beeps on an answering machine!

I hope the real Eden Lake, Minnes
Mandy
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bad thing about these books is that I want to eat the entire time I'm reading! I enjoy Hannah Swensen and her uncanny ability to find herself in yet another murder mystery. It sort of reminds me of Scooby Doo and the gang and how they always wound up at the scene of a crime or in the middle of a case no matter what. I could do without the "too cheerful" dialogue and way happy ambience of these books, but I do enjoy them! This one had me stumped until the end. Now I'm on to the 3rd one :)
Janet
Mar 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
NOW I remember why it has taken me so long to get to the 2nd book in this series. Hannah just makes me so irritated! There are 3 things that are very wrong about this book:
1) I know it's a little town and the police force might not be that experienced with murder and mayhem but in bulldozes Hannah with her English Lit degree and cookie recipes and thinks if only she plays a sort of Nancy Drew she can do so much better and solve the case. She actually tells her cop boyfriend, "I'll tell you what
Sarah {The Bookish Knitter}
3.5 Stars

This book was good; I did really enjoy the story line and the whodunit did keep me guessing right up until the end.

My biggest issue was with Hannah; she drove me crazy! She just had this attitude about her that she knew everything. The way she talked about here sister, no wonder they didn't get along as children. I enjoy cozy mysteries, I think they are a lot of fun; but Hannah's whole 'I better than the police' started to get on my nerves.

Like I said, I did enjoy it and I will be conti
Charla Cope
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Here I am on a diet and after finishing this all I’m craving now is sweets! I like how there are several recipes in these books for the deserts that are mentioned throughout it and I like the light hearted love triangle that’s developing! It’s mainly the same plot as the first book and I figured out the killer a little before he was revealed but I enjoyed it and I look forward to the next one.
Vanessa Wolf
Jul 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
First chapter in and the MC starts getting nostalgic about the racist crap (a note book) they used to be able to buy, but now it's not "PC," and according to their friend Natives aren't actually Native at all, and I couldn't throw this book because it was an e-edition and I love my eReader.
It'd be one thing if I wasn't reading reports about lead in the water of reservations and no one giving a damn, it'd be one thing if the Washington D.C. 'Merican football team changed their name; there might
Evan Quade
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going for more Hannah Swensen mysteries! Because her cookies are absolutely delicious! Okay, maybe it's not just because of the cookies. But because this is probably the next best set of cozy mysteries I have read yet, while this is my second in this series with over 20 more. Also because while Hannah is an amateur because she is a baker and not holding a badge of her own, she is very intelligent on taking in information to put out a helpful theory for authorities, and most of all, because ...more
Robin Loves Reading
Our lovely amateur sleuth Hannah Swensen is back and has been thrust into an opportunity to solve yet another murder. Hannah is an exceptional bakery owner who already has enough on her plate, literally.

This time around, Hannah is afforded the opportunity to serve as head judge at the town of Lake Eden's first annual Desert Bake-Off. However, Coach Boyd Watson, a fellow judge is murdered. Hannah does two things: she keeps perfecting her delectable recipes, which are shared with readers throughou
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 7

In Depth

Best Part:
Food, duh.
Worst Part: Kinda the same plot as book 1.
Thoughts Had: Being on a diet stinks.

Conclu
Naomi
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Where is my insulin?? This book was way to sticky sweet and the emphasis was on how the author was going to be able to fit her recipes into the storyline versus the story line itself. I do believe, unless I need them for a challenge, this is my last Joanne Fluke book, unless I grab them to see what recipes she puts in them!
 Readaholic Jenn
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I love this series
Mayda
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
It’s not all sugar and sweetness for Hannah in this cozy mystery. Judging a Dessert Bake-Off sounds like fun, until one of the judges is found dead. But the dead man, a coach and abusive husband, had more than one enemy, and Hannah is determined to narrow down the suspects. Hannah enlists the help of her sister to do some sleuthing, but they find more than they bargained for. The only thing that will slow down your reading of this tale are the recipes that are sprinkled throughout the story. You ...more
Ashley B.
Hannah Svenson returns in the second installment in Joanne Fluke's cozy mystery series. Hannah once again uses her amateur sleuthing skills to help solve a murder in her small Minnesota town. I enjoy these novels simply for what they are: quick, easy reads.

In truth, Hannah has no business inserting herself into murder investigations, but apparently law enforcement looks the other way in this small town. Also, can we talk about how much she feeds Moishe, her already 22 pound cat!? I also cannot
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating:3.5

This was an enjoyable read. I thought that the story was great, and I love the whodunit concept. Cozy mysteries are my favourite type of mysteries. I really wanted to eat the food. The characters were great. Hannah is narrowing the suspects for who killed the coach, a judge for the Dessert Bake-Off. The story had many twists and turns in the story. I hope the series continues like this because I really enjoy seeing Hannah and her sister work together to solve the case. I want to
Bookishrealm
I'm enjoying the heck out of this series. It isn't the best writing but goodness it definitely is one of the most relaxing reads I've had in a while. I'm loving it. And I can't wait to continue listening to them all on audiobook.
Erica Chaillot
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have heard mixed things about this series, but so far I really like it! Hannah, Lisa, and her crew are growing on me and the plot was very good. Looking forward to reading many more.
Linda
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
This was a fun book. Cooking shows always make for a fun setting, amazing how many have murders happen on them. I did catch on to the culprit before Hannah so I guess I’m getting better at detecting. I enjoyed the recipes throughout the book and will have to try one sometime.
Janie Johnson
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I chose to read this book for the March Mystery Madness challenge that is going on. I am not at all familiar with cozy mysteries so it was a good idea for me to choose one for this challenge to kind of get an idea of what they are like. This one was for a cozy mystery involving cooking or crafting. I have not had the chance to read the first book since I do not own that one, but since this series has different cases with each book, it was fine to start with book 2. I did discover that with readi ...more
Sarah Croft
The story is fine, even if the main character is a little annoying. I'd give the novel itself 3.5 stars, but I find the odd slur and insensitive comments that were included -very- distracting.

Especially the tangent about how Native Americans shouldn't care about racially stereotyped depictions, or the word Indian. It honestly blew me away that her racist rant that didn't add anything got by the editor. It was definitely the viewpoint of the author, as it didn't flesh out the character or provide
Sheri
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Joanne Fluke)
Murder Mystery. Hannah Swensen is a baker living in rural Minnesota. When she is not baking she is solving crimes...this job just comes naturally to her. Hannah is asked to judge a four day bake sale. After the first day one of the judges, Coach Boyd Watson is found dead and Hannah is on the scene.

Hannah with the help of her sister Andrea, decide to do some investigating
Fast paced who done it, with twists, turns a lot of suspects is a fun page turning al

• Sugar and Spice
  • The Dangers of Candy Canes
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1)
  • Gingerbread Cookies and Gunshots (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #16.5)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • Candy Canes of Christmas Past (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13.5)
  • Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • The Dangers of Gingerbread Cookies
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • Cappuccinos, Cupcakes, and a Corpse  (Cape Bay Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch

Hannah Swensen (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)

News & Interviews

“If chocolate were a mandatory part of breakfast, people wouldn’t be so
grouchy in the morning.”
19 likes
“There was something wonderful about a blank sheet of notepaper. The lines were there, just waiting to be filled, and the page could turn into anything from a grocery list to the opening of The Great American Novel. The possibilities were endless.” 3 likes