Start by marking “Dark Sky at Dawn” as Want to Read:
Dark Sky at Dawn

Dark Sky at Dawn

(Free Men and Dreamers #1)

A historical fiction surrounding the years after the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812. Free people who dream and pursue what liberty and independence should be for their families lives.
Published January 1st 2007 by Covenant Communications (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Sky at Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Sky at Dawn

Lori
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The above description really does not do this book justice! The book was just packed with information about the founding of our great country. So much of it, I was not familiar with! I love how it also highlighted the faith of early Americans. This book really brought out a lot of emotions, especially when it came to the slave issue. I wonder how it would have been to actually live in those times. I really enjoy fiction books that have actual history in them. It amazes me how authors can weave w ...more
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I think the author created some very interesting characters and painted a great picture of the time period with a very intriguing plot. I can't wait to read the next one.
Kaye
Aug 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: my friends and family
I am in the progress of reading this book. I have read about one third of the book. So far I am enjoying the book very much.
Jennifer Starkey
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a MASTERPIECE! It should be required reading for every American! Simply stunning and beautifully written!
Jenny
Jun 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I love the pre-civil war period of history. This was a good story and I need to get the next book in the series.
Rachel
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book full of many historical details that I'd never heard before but enjoyed learning about. The characters and plot were well developed and I'm looking forward to reading the next books in the series.
Teri
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Free Men and Dreamers Vol I: Dark Sky At Dawn by L.C. Lewis

When Laurie asked me last week if I'd done my review of this remarkable series, I felt bad, as I'd not read or reviewed it yet. I had bought our good friends this first book for mowing our 1/3 of an acre and knew they loved historical novels, so when they read it, they had three of three of their six daughters read this volume, then one daughter borrowed my Vol II and they all loved this series just because I knew they loved historical f
Deana
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Set in abolitionist America in the early 1800s, this story evolves during a trying time of controversy over slavery. The economy, values, and families are greatly affected.

So far, I'm pretty hooked.

Ok, this book is meant to be about the war of 1812. I vaguely remember studying this war years ago, but all the history books seemed to only briefly cover the period. I learned quite a bit. I didn't realize that England tried to recover their claim on America after the revolutionary war.

I am struggli
Melissa
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
My dad gave me the first two books in this series to read. He had gotten them thinking they were about the War of 1812, which they are, but they were more of a romance story he said. It was a little funny to me. He loves historical fictions and can handle a bit of romance but I guess these had a bit more than he wanted. I on the other hand have enjoyed the romance story that is woven throughout this historical fiction novel. The first novel is setting the stage for the War of 1812. I don't know ...more
Lorraine
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
i love series! this one is about the war of 1812. i had this time period all mixed up with the revolutionary war and which came when. so it is interesting to put it in its' proper place in history! also, this is the time of joseph smith's family and the author intertwines his story with the families in the novel. the series is about a slave-owning family (they free their slaves), a British family, and Irish friend and their reactions to the conflict. there are 5 or 6 books in the series. book on ...more
Sherrill
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am a push over for historical novels. I know they are usually not major works for posterity but I just love reading them. This series is fun for me because it takes place in the time of the War of 1812 of which I know very little. I learned a few things about history that I did not know. Who knew the War of 1812 was anything but a wrinkle? I finished this book in record time and am halfway through the second book. I can see we are going to meet up with Joseph Smith and family pretty soon as th ...more
Angie
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The only thing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars instead of 4 was I felt quite frustrated at times with Jed's indecisiveness. I wanted him to get in and fight for Hannah not play mind games about why he shouldn't. I also would have liked to see him come to his decisions more often than to find out he'd reached them but not have it explained what led him in that direction. I look forward to reading the next installment and to finding out what happens to Jeb and Hannah ...more
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a great new series that focuses on the War of 1812. This is a pivotal time in American History that is often skimmed over or even completely skipped. The War of 1812 was essential to preserve our newly founded liberties and prevent our brand-new nation from returning to British control. This is also the same time that young Joseph Smith was growing up and gaining the foundation that encourage him to make his world-changing inquiry of God. Excellent books, I can't wait for the next volume ...more
Elaine Grant
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was well-researched and very enlightening. We study the Revolutionary War and Civil War in depth in school, but somehow we don't focus much on the War of 1812. At times this story is disturbing, especially when you realize some of the horrible things people did to each other (mob violence, hatred, etc.) because of fear. Historical fiction is my favorite genre and I very much enjoyed this book. I am a history teacher and the descriptions agree with what I have studied. Kudos ...more
Momto5
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story. I love historical fiction. I felt she stays true to the history without letting it take over the story. I actually listened to this one on CD. The narrator was not bad, but not great either. In the second book she changes narrators and he is terrible, so I ended up reading the second one. She is a great author. The story flows very well and you get very involved in the characters and their lives. The love stories are done very well and keeps up the suspense through out the ...more
Ashley
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
From reading the back of this book, you would think it was primarily about the war of 1812. Well it hardly has any war in it. It is mostly a love story. I love the characters in the book and their relationships with each other. It jumped around alot to different plots that were not always very clear. It just ends leaving everything unresolved so you need to read the sequal, which i am very excited to do. I did enjoy this book.
Tanya
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
An excellently researched novel in a series set in America (and England) in the early 1800's. This book can stand on its own, but I intend to read the entire series, entitled "Free Men and Dreamers," and suggest others do likewise. If you love historical fiction, you'll certainly appreciate this book. For a more complete review, see my blog at http://tpmills.wordpress.com/2009/10/....
Amanda Long
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much. Being a busy mom of three little kids, I have to really love a book to keep reading. This book hits all the the high notes. It's not only a great read on this pivotal time in history, it is also a great love story. Not just between man and woman but about a man's love of his country. It is evident the author has this same love of country which makes it a wonderfully fulfilling read.
Allison
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this first book in the Free Men and Dreamers series. I've never been that interested in the War of 1812 but this book go me interested in researching a little about it. The characters were interesting and the plot line was good. The only thing that bugged me about it was I wished that Jed would just fight for what he wanted instead of worrying so much about propriety. But I can't wait to pick up and read the next one!
Pat
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great fictional characters set in the historic period of the War of 1812. Seen from the views of US citizens and British citizens. Hannah and Jed are star-crossed lovers and they still haven't worked things out. On the horizon is the entrance of Stephen Mack, brother to Lucy Mack Smith. Have to read the next book to find out about that connection.
Lewis gives excellent references and websites to follow up on the history of the period.
Liesl
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series! I never even knew about the war of 1812! The British came and tried to take over the country again and nearly succeeded. Very interesting story, you really get into the Character's lives. Could hardly put them down. Just now starting the last one. Got it for Christmas! I am so excited to read it! I am thinking I may read the third again first though just to make it all last longer!
Christina Jones
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series!! I could not put it down. It takes place around the time of the war of 1812 so it has a lot of historical fact plus a great story line! It's exciting and has a really cute love story while really making you appreciate this great country we live in! (I did tear up once:) I highly recommend it! Can't wait for the next one!
Bonnie
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wish I had done my review sooner, because now that I've read the second in the series I'm having a hard time "going back". Well developed characters, great story, and so many good lessons. I found myself thinking about agency a lot in this one..your own personal use of it, and controlling any urges to alter the ability of someone else to use theirs.
Michelle Llewellyn
Sep 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
You know a book really sucks when you can't remember the name or the author or even the name of the series after reading it! Her research is spot on, you can tell she really has a passion for U.S. history but as for telling a good story with strong plot and characters that live in your mind long after you close the book, well...find another series to read.
Katie
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone!
I have never studied much about the revolutionary time period in our history and certainly not hardly ANYTHING about the war or 1812 (which is when this takes place). The History is fascinating and the story is FANTASTIC! I couldn't wait to get my hands on the second one and now I am dying for her to release the next book!
Sheila
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great beginning to this series. For some reason I thought I had read the first three books in this series. Now after reading the first book, I realize I would not have forgotten reading this. The story is just so good. Great historical fiction and very memorable characters. I will be starting the second book tonight.
Lee Bean
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a good read if you like Historical Fiction. Setting is around the war of 1812. Actually this is agood read even if you don't like historical fiction. I had not read any historical fiction until reading this book thinking that I would not like it. I was pleasantly surprised. This is the first book in a series.
Diane
Nov 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
I could not get into this book. The author obviously researched her topic well, and I usually love historical fiction, but I really didn't like this one. (It's set just before the War of 1812.) The characters were annoying, and the story didn't stay fluid enough for me. I read the first third and skimmed the last two thirds - never a good sign.
Lee Wilson
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have just Started this book. It is an historical novel about the wars of early American History. It intrigued me from Page one. I finished the book last week and it is very well written and moves fast. It is an excellent read
Jessica
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable account of a crucial time in American history...early 1800s when our nation was still trying to become independent. Those people faced so many fundamental issues of right and wrong...we owe them a great deal of gratitude.

• Faith of Our Fathers: One Nation Under God (Volume Four)
  • Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)
  • A Banner Is Unfurled (A Banner is Unfurled, #1)
  • Master
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 4: The Hand of Providence
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • Mary & Joseph
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Espionage
Laurie (L.C.) Lewis will always be a Marylander at heart—a weather-whining lover of crabs, American history, and the sea. She admits to being craft-challenged, particularly lethal with a glue gun, and a devotee of sappy movies. Her ninth published novel, her first romance novella, "Sweet Water, " was inspired by a visit to Oregon’s magnificent coast, and time spent with Mother Eugenie, upon whom t ...more

Free Men and Dreamers (5 books)
  • Twilight's Last Gleaming