Start by marking “The Magician's Apprentice (Black Magician, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Apprentice (Black Magician, #0.5)

The Magician's Apprentice

(The Black Magician Trilogy #0.5)

Taking place hundreds of years before the events of The Magicians' Guild, The Magician's Apprentice is the new novel set in the world of Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy.

When
Hardcover, First Edition, 593 pages
Published February 23rd 2009 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Apprentice, please sign up.
Robin Vermeersch I bought this book first, tried reading it but couldn't wrap my head around the names of peoples, magic and all that.

Read the black magician trilogy f…more

Read the black magician trilogy first now and now I'm enjoying the heck out of this. So my advice would be to read the original trilogy first.(less)

Start your review of The Magician's Apprentice (Black Magician, #0.5)
Jeffrey
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Canavan fans
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
Deborah
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Definitely a worthy prequel to the Black Magician Trilogy. I enjoyed the story and the fact that it wasn't entirely predictable. I would definitely recommend it to any of Trudi Canavan's fans. The only thing I had an issue with was that the story jumped around between more characters than I thought necessary, making it a bit harder to relate to the main characters.
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, review, favorites

The Magician’s Apprentice is about Tessia, the local healer’s daughter, who unknowingly uses magic after fending of the advances of a visiting Sachakan mage, she becomes an apprentice to the magician Lord Dakon alongside fellow apprentice Jayan. However she would soon learn that with her magical gifts comes with responsibilities and not all is peaceful as it seems between Sachakan and Kyralia.

This prequel, set a fe
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
He liked the idea that if either of them ever fell from grace, the other might be there to offer support
Tessia

First Sentence:
There was no fast and painless way to perform an amputation, Tessia knew.

O, what a journy.
I remember reading The Magicians' Guild many, many years back - so many years in fact I can't remember who the main characters is. But I do remember I enjoyed it, and that I wanted to read the rest of the Black Magician trilogy. And this weekend that little reminder popped into my head
J.C.
Jan 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads, arc, fantasy
Good Intro to Fantasy; but not Groundbreaking.

I have not read any of Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy (THE MAGICIAN'S GUILD, THE NOVICE, and THE HIGH LORD), although I have thought about it for a while. It is obvious that this edition to the world introduced in the original trilogy was written after and I can only guess at what is to be the beginning of the trilogy.

This is a wonderful book for people just getting into the fantasy genre. It has everything that is to be expected in a fantasy
Rachael
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very addictive read that I would willingly read again and again. A book I could not put down with lots of fantasy elements that I like. The only reason I didn't give this five stars is because of the constant switches between the impressive cast of characters, some of which were not as interesting as others. Personally I preferred Tessia and Jayan's story and would have liked to stick with them all the way through.
Wendy
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: series, fantasy, audiobook
The Magician's Apprentice is considered #0.5 in Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician Trilogy. It was written after, but serves as a set up for The Magicians' Guild, which I have not read. It mainly follows the story of Tessia, a young healer apprenticed to her father, who discovers her magical abilities when she deflects the advances of a Sachakan mage. She becomes apprenticed to Lord Dakon, joining his apprentice Jayan, who initially disdains the fact that a he must share his education with a wom ...more
Emilia
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've come across Trudi Canavan many times when looking for good fantasy reads, and I finally decided to give it a go. The first few pages of The Magician's Apprentice were quite exciting, I thought Tessia would be an interesting character. But further on I started to get doubts, the plot was a bit shallow and most of all, the characters were really flat. Having read awesome books like "A song of ice and fire" where there's plenty of characters and each of them has so much history and depth that ...more
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
The Magicians Apprentice is 0.5 in the The Black Magician Trilogy. The first instalment in the trilogy was published in 2001 and this book was published in 2009. Perhaps I should have started the series in publishing order rather than story order, but I spent most of the novel questioning why this was actually a novel. I found it really hard to justify this 0.5 instalment needing to be 600 pages long, especially when it was published several years after the actual series.

The novel uses split PO
Matthew
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Although this didn't have the same magical introduction to a new world for me as The Magicians' Guild, I think someone starting with this book may get some of that same feeling, although the pace at which the larger universe is introduced lacks some of the details of the first book.

However, the plot is essentially the story the first book should have had. The main character, Tessia, essentially has the same personality and motivations as Sonea of the original trilogy, and the same issues with fa
Cheryl Landmark
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

Well, I liked it, but I certainly didn't love it. The premise sounded very promising--I love fantasies about strong, young women discovering their magical powers and learning how to control them to fight against evil--and the writing was certainly quite acceptable. But, somehow, this one fell a little short for me.

For one thing, the pacing for the most part was very plodding and slow and the plot was rather dull in places. There was a lot of talk about fighting, but not
Deborah Ideiosepius
In the remote village of Mandryn, in the realm of Kyralia, Tessia works as her father's assistant. Tessia dreams of proving herself enough to become a healer like her father but in this realm, woman cannot become healers. Then, just as the realm is about to be plunged into warfare with the neighbouring empire, Tessia proves herself to be a 'natural' she has magical potential and is taken into training by the lord of the village, himself a magician. Tessia finds her new life perplexing, magical t ...more
Mirjam
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Im so disappointed. Oh why, dear Canavan, have you let me down.

One day me and Emer discussed in A Book Nirvana group about how often books read at younger age are the ones that stick to all-time-favorites lists rather than new ones. And Trudi Canavans The Black Magicians trilogy was exactly that to me. An all time favorite read at a young age. I also loved the Traitor Spy Trilogy which followed that but this was sadly weak for me.

Alltogether 702 pages. The first 300 flew by but the last 400...
Dhuaine
Apr 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Retardation galore! The prequel to Black Magician Trilogy is riddled with boring, tedious narrative, moralizing talk for primary school kids and tons of ridiculously funny gaffes that would make people on literary constructive crit boards roll with laughter. It doesn't explain anything about the magic from the trilogy. This book's setting doesn't even match the trilogy and some of the situations plainly contradict the rules laid out in the other books. Overall it looks like a rehashed draft or a ...more
Racheal
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Well, once I read the other reviews and figured out this was a prequel to a trilogy, the bizarre pacing made more sense. The narrative switches between several characters, something that rarely works for me--I always end up liking one character more than another and I can never get into a groove one way or the other. The same was true here. I really liked Lord Dakon and Tessia but I could have done without the others, especially the character that popped in about halfway through the book. Sachka ...more
Maša
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I lost interest about page 200. After the interesting beginning, the plot became one of those "frolicking around countryside, letting the suspense wane" types.

I liked the character of Tessia - a pity that she didn't have much to do. Also, the interesting merging of the magic and medicine was hastly done. I would have loved to see it more developed. The relationships were nicely developed, but some of the character progression didn't make much sense (I'm tired of the "he's a paranoid schizophren
Mark
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Well written, solidly characterised, nicely constructed. But dull.

Might be a good one for those who are new to Fantasy - a way in, as Brooks' Sword of Shannara , Eddings' Pawn of Prophecy or Ray Feist's Magician was for many. And for those who are fans of the Black Magician series, (of which this is a prequel), I can see this being a much desired book.

But for me the plot was just way, way too obvious, the characters a little too cookie-cut. I lost interest very quickly.

Clare Cannon
Jun 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Shelves: young-adult, adults
Skyril
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ok, well what I thought is that a lot of reviewers got it pretty much right... at least those who gave it three or fewer stars.

See, the story had potential. I find a lot of stories do, and the writing was... neutral. I didn't notice it, so it wasn't bad, but it wasn't awesome either.
It's the characters in this story that really get to me.

They're so... detached from just about everything. A group dies, and all they do is exchange worried glances. Someone's husband dies, and she looks at the floo
Tommye Turner
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
SPOILER FREE

This book is essentially an explanation for how the world came to be in The Black Magician trilogy. Trudi Canavan has created a world with a rich history and vibrant characters. The magic system might not be particularly complex, but there are costs and a method for wielding it.

Tessia is one of my favourite main characters Canavan has created. She begins life in a typical rural setting but is soon thrust into the larger world. It was fascinating – on several levels - exploring this
Jakub
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As the tooltip for one star says - I did not like it. It would not get 1 in 10 because it was not that bad but it was 2-3 times too long. The amount of needless dialogue, fragments and sentences was overwhelming. There was even one POV character that could have easily been thrown away and it would improve the flow of reading. It the book was pruned to 200-300 pages it would be a nice and easy read. With over 700 it was a dull pain.
Sammi
Ok i LOVED this book!!

Im pretty sure i was hooked as i just couldnt put it down. I thought the character development of the main character and her story was put forward well and in a well spaced easy to understand manner. The story itself did go slow at times but overall, was a decent storyline.

I look forward to reading more from this author :)

You can also find my reviews here:
http://lilythenovelnerd.wordpress.com/ (tho they are alot more colourful)
Lisa Emme
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This was good, but nothing special. I was able to put it down for days on and and really only finished it just to get it off my plate. I guess that isn't much of a glowing review. I gave it 3 stars rather than the 2 it maybe sounds like because it was a well written story with interesting characters, it just wasn't doing it for me right now.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Set in the same world, but back in time, as Canavan's first trilogy, the Black Magician Trilogy, this is in a way back-story, and in a way, not. I thought it was a standalone novel about what happened between Kyralia and Sachaka, two neighbouring countries, and more importantly, about how "black magic" - or higher magic as it used to be called - came to be banned and the knowledge of it repressed. Well, it is a standalone Fantasy novel, it is about the war between Kyralia and Sachaka, which is l ...more
Mieneke
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, young-adult
Written after The Black Magician trilogy, The Magician's Apprentice is a prequel of sorts to said series. As a step back into history, it is a very cool story, showing us events in the past that set things in motion that will not only feature in The Black Magician trilogy, but also in The Traitor Spy trilogy. To my surprise, however, the book dealt with a different era than I expected for some reason. Why, I don't know, but I expected the book to either deal with Akkarin's history, or the period ...more
Jennifer Hosker
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another very well written book by this author. Depth of character development is well written. The description of scenes it's well thought out. Enjoyed the story but ending wasn't quite what I expected.
Thehobbyseeker
I realized that from the beginning of my reading challenge you may think that I read mostly non-fiction. You may be surprised but my favorite genre of books is different. I love science-fiction and good fantasy. In fact I agree with the people who say that good fantasy is a good literature but good science-fiction is the best possible fiction genre you can read. This time I am going to write about a good fantasy book by Trudi Canavan entitled The Magician's Apprentice so don't expect eulogies - ...more
A.D. Stewart
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Magician's Apprentice is a wonderful read. A stand alone prequel to The Black Magician's Trilogy. For those of you like me, who have read: The Magician's Guild, The Novice and The High Lord. You'll love this story!!!

Set hundreds of years before the events of The Magicians’ Guild, The Magician’s Apprentice is the perfect introduction to the world of Trudi Canavan’s international bestselling Black Magician Trilogy.

In the remote village of Mandryn, Tessia serves as assistant to her father, the
April
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Somehow this ended up in my notes section instead. Oops.

I know I can't completely judge this book when I haven't finished it (I read about five chapters). In addition to that, I realize that this isn't the plot of the book... But I really don't want to read a fantasy book based on the premise that there are two main countries next to one another, one is similar to Europe in the Middle Ages with magic added and the other similar to India with magic added, where the white people are slave-free whi
Dils AB
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
Summary from Goodreads: In the remote village of Mandryn, Tessia serves as assistant to her father, the village Healer. Her mother would rather she found a husband. But her life is about to take a very unexpected turn.

When the advances of a visiting Sachakan mage get violent, Tessia unconsciously taps unknown reserves of magic to defend herself. Lord Dakon, the local magician, takes Tessia under his wing as an apprentice.

The long hours of study and self-discipline also offer more opportunities
Goodreads Librari...: Translation in several separate books 3 27 Aug 20, 2018 02:58PM
Goodreads Librari...: Separating two books 3 187 Mar 07, 2017 06:08AM

• The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children, #1)
  • A Blight of Mages (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #0)
  • The Reluctant Mage (Fisherman's Children, #2)
  • The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1)
  • Sea Glass (Glass, #2)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • Spy Glass (Glass, #3)
  • New Threads in the Pattern: The Great Hunt, Part 2 (Wheel of Time, #2-2)
  • Die Straße des Speers (Das Rad der Zeit, #6)
  • Der wiedergeborene Drache (Das Rad der Zeit, #5)
  • The Hunt Begins (The Great Hunt, #1) (Wheel of Time, #2-1)
  • The Friendship
  • Pirate Curse (The Wave Walkers, #1)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • Diener des dunklen Hirten (Kryson, #2)
  • Die Schlacht am Rayhin (Kryson, #1)
  • Knowing People
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T

The Black Magician Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1)
  • The Novice (Black Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • The High Lord (Black Magician Trilogy, #3)