Start by marking “Crimes Against a Book Club” as Want to Read:
Crimes Against a Book Club

Crimes Against a Book Club

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  12,217 ratings  ·  1,239 reviews

“Lighthearted…You’ll speed through this read.” —Real Simple

Best friends Annie and Sarah need cash—fast. Sarah, a beautiful, successful lawyer, wants nothing more than to have a baby. But balancing IVF treatments with a grueling eighty-hour workweek is no walk in the park. Meanwhile, Annie, a Harvard-grad chemist recently transplanted to Southern California, is cutting co

Published May 1st 2017 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Crimes Against a Book Club, please sign up.
angi schneider
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  12,217 ratings  ·  1,239 reviews

Pouting Always
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
When her son Oscar is diagnosed with Autism and requires thousands of dollars in therapy, Annie is at a loss for what to do to pay for it. Then when out shopping with her best friend Sarah she gets brilliant idea, selling beauty products to high end customers. Sarah is gorgeous and until recently was a high power lawyer and Annie know's that Sarah will easily be able to get credit with the rich women at a book club she went to last week. On her part Sarah could also use the money for her expensi ...more
Obsidian
I got this as the Kindle Single this month from Amazon. I have to say, I am shocked at how much I enjoyed this book. Maybe because the book at the top of each chapter goes into a book club read and gives you someone's perspective on it. Or I just loved the fact that some of the lines in this book were so freaking hilarious that I laughed out loud. I was actually sad to see the book end. I do have to say the ending was a bit out there, and not believable in the least bit, but I liked it. I think ...more
Sarah Joint
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny. Take this one to the beach, if you're not concerned over strangers staring because you're giggling to yourself as you read. Mostly light and quirky. Utterly ridiculous but completely charming. I needed a light, witty read and that's exactly what I got from Kathy Cooperman.

It all started with the book club. Annie is invited by a friend to attend a meeting in an affluent area she lives near but not in. At first eager to read and discuss literature with other women, she quick
Ameetha Widdershins
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: beach-reading
Pros:
Light, quick read.
Amusing.
Introduced me to some novels in the book-related chapter prologues.

Cons:
The book club connection is very slim.
The ties made to books before each chapter was a little feeble and felt more like a gimmick to bring in the link to the title or like name-dropping. It didn't really add to the story and didn't work well as a device.

I would read other works by this author.
Jessica
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy witty books about female friendships, then you'll enjoy this one. As I read it, my husband kept asking, "What are you laughing at?" The two main characters, Annie and Sarah, are in need of money and trick these rich book club members into buying a face cream with a secret ingredient. The story is mostly set in La Jolla, a wealthy town near San Diego. As a New Englander, I enjoyed reading descriptions of this alien world where women own Hermes bags and plastic surgery is common place ...more
Gina
Meh. As expected, the book continued to be dumb with rather insipid characters although the premise had a lot of potential. Kim was probably my favorite. I connected somewhat with Annie and Sarah in the beginning but I wasn't thrilled with the ending or epilogue. It felt rushed and too predictable, not enough tension. Avoid the audio, it was WAY overdramatic and I think it took away some of my enjoyment of the story.
Carlin
Kindle First book for April, 2017

I'm having a hard time getting into this book partly because I'm not crazy about any of the characters or the premise. Stopped reading 5/16/17 at 59%. I'll get back to it at some point.
Paula  Phillips
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving to a new place in California, Annie is invited to attend a book club with the rich people of the neighborhood. Here she meets Dawn and the other rich wives around town. During her time in her new town, she learns that her son Oscar has autism and she needs $84,000 to pay for his therapy. When she is out with her friend Sarah, she watches a woman spend thousands of dollars on a face cream. As Annie has a chemistry background, she comes up with an idea to create her face cream. Sarah has be ...more
Matt Erwin
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little fluff ball of a book. And a lot of fun.
Cindy Roesel
A couple of girlfriends come up with a scheme to make-a-buck  - quick!
Best friends Annie and Sarah need some cash, quickly. Annie's a brainiac chemist with a Harvard PhD, three kids, and pricey therapy bills for her autistic son, Oscar. Sarah's a lawyer, who wants nothing more than to have a baby, but can't, so she's trying to come up with enough cash for in vitro fertilization treatments. Cha-ching! Annie knows a lot of really rich women in her town of LaJolla. Many of her fellow book club mem
This book was okay. It reminded me of a book that I would take to the beach. For me, beach books are those I can read while distracted. I might unintentionally skim over a few paragraphs here and there, but I won't miss anything important in doing so because really, there's nothing all that important anywhere in the book.

The premise was alright. I could see it potentially happening in real life, so I didn't need to make any huge leaps to accept the plot line, which is always a plus to me. I appr
Karimama
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!

At first, I thought it a mystery because of the title, but no, it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable chicklit I've ever read!
The storyline is well thought and woven, and I also liked the author's sense of humor, which often made me chuckle aloud.;D
What I enjoyed most, however, among other things, is the narration! (Yes, I listened to the audiobook,too.) This narrator is such an actress I was amazed by the dramatic effect she added to the story! Especially when the protagonist
Gail Barker
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Didn't expect this one! Thought it would be too fluffy; but good writing, absolutely

Hysterical, I laughed until I cried-recommend for all savvy book clubs!
Even in La Jolla· Hang on to your wallets·
Brittney Hall
I am not a big fan of Lifetime or Hallmark movies and this book could definitely be one. One of those made for TV movies geared towards women with a little humor and lots of cliche characters. It's not horrible, just not my cup of tea.
Kelly
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
after a few heavy reads, this was a perfect palate cleanser. light, funny, silly. it would be a cute lifetime movie.
Cab
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure where I picked up this book and I want to be clear it's a short book. That said, I had a great time reading this story. The general premise is two friends face financial crisis's and they devise a scheme to make some money. The story really revolves around that process mixing in some serious situations but as a whole the story is very entertaining. Some of the lines were great. So much so that I was laughing out loud.
So if you want a quick, lite, funny read this is for you
Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn
Entertaining fluff. Kind of like Breaking Bad downsized and made cute instead of scary. Not gonna win any literary awards for sure, but fun for mindless reading. Worth it for Katherine Kellgren's narration.
Melissa Storm
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had fun characters and a zany underlying plot. There was just too much going on with too many minor characters that made the reading drag out for too long. I loved Sarah, Annie, and Chloe, and if the book had stuck to just their story, it could have been a 5-star read. Still recommend if you have the time and don't mind an abundance of loosely connected subplots.
Darcey Hawkins
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm disappointed.
I'm from the Imperial Beach area of Southern Cali. I suggest the author spend a weekend there and enjoy it for what it offers, which is a lot.
I didn't care for how the novel ended...I won't elaborate as to avoid spoilers.
Jen Petro-Roy
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, ebook, 2017
An odd, yet strangely compelling book. Think quirkier Liane Moriarty.
Chloe
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courtagonist
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally went against ALL of my TBR for the month of January and I am SO happy that I did! Ha! I have had A WONDERFUL reading month! It has been a great start to 2019!

This is a book that I don’t quite remember how it got on my Kindle but I am SO happy that it did! This has to be one of the funniest and easiest reads I have had in a long while. I would put the genre as Chick-Lit and I am living for it!

This is the debut novel for Kathy Cooperman and I can’t wait to read more of what she has to c
When Annie and Sarah find themselves in need of some serious cash - Annie to fund the therapy for her autistic son, and Sarah to continue her fertility treatments after she quits her job - Annie concocts a plan to sell overpriced face cream to the wealthy women in her book club and their friends. Annie was a chemist before having children so whipping up a face cream shouldn't be too difficult, but she has trouble finding that special ingredient that will give their customers the feeling that it ...more
Pia
This book is funny and well written, just not for me.

The premise sounds interesting: two best friends, one married with children the other single. Both need money, so they devise a plan to sell a fake "miracle" cream to the rich ladies of Annie's La Jolla, Ca. book club. The problem is there's a secret ingredient that is totally illegal and potentially dangerous.

This is a fast, light beach read type of book. Maybe too light for me?

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I
Jackie
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a slow start, culminating into a fluffy read at best. From the beginning, you knew they were going to get caught but I'm not sure that was entirely necessary to reveal up front in this book. It took the excitement out of the ending.

This would be good for a filler-book, but I'd say don't go in with high expectations and don't go in thinking this is actually about a book club.
Julie S
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I kind of thought this would be more about an actual book club but it was more of a sort of framing device for the story, with the initial characters all meeting at one. Also the chapters begin with characters opinions on books, which I mostly skimmed past because I didn't find it that interesting. It was a fun book but not earth-shattering.
Satomi
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Wow. The characters talk a lot! And it’s hilarious! The author uses very unique analogies and I laughed a lot. I do not like the mother at the beginning, but her speech at the end made me smile.

Although this book was a kindle first selection, I had chosen the other book. Wrong decision...

Trudy
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well I just had the best couple of days with these hilarious characters! This was just pure fun and sometimes that’s just want I need. Big Smiles! Thank you, Kathy Coolerman.
Oh yeah, the narration (by Katherine Kellgren) is exquisite. Highly recommended!
Ann
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 Crimes Against a Book Club 1 5 May 06, 2017 02:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Update Cover 2 24 Feb 09, 2017 03:01PM

• 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • Implicated
  • Tales from My Hard Drive
  • Click
  • The Good Wife (A Brennan Sisters, #3)
  • Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Moms
  • Top 30 Easy Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Women: Set It and Forget It (First Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook for Busy Women Vol. 2)
  • You Are Made for More!: How to Become All You Were Created to Be
  • Goodbye to All That
  • Henny on the Couch
  • Nice
  • 132+ Delicious Salads, Dressings and Dips (Gabrielle's FUSS-FREE Healthy Veg Recipes)
  • Also Known as Elvis (The Misfits, #4)
  • The Slow Cooker Cookbook: 87 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals
  • Into the Thickening Fog
  • Blame It On Cupid
  • The Book of Maybe: Finding Hope and Possibility in Your Life
  • Memoirs of a Bad Dog
“How did the nursery rhyme go? “Old Mother Hubbard went to her cupboard and found she was fresh out of blow.” Something like that. Annie” 3 likes
“Joan Collins once said that being beautiful was like being born rich and getting poorer every day.” 3 likes