Start by marking “Last Chance (Rains, #2)” as Want to Read:
Last Chance (Rains, #2)

Last Chance

(Rains #2)

The Rain brothers fight for the survival of humanity in Last Chance, the thrilling sequel to New York Times bestselling author Gregg Hurwitz's YA debut, The Rains.

The New York Times bestselling author of Orphan X, Gregg Hurwitz, returns to Creek's Cause to follow the Rains brothers as they fight an alien threat that has transformed everyone over the age of 18 into
Published October 17th 2017 by Tor Teen

Start your review of Last Chance (Rains, #2)
Chelsies Crazy4Books
In this thrilling duology, brothers Chance and Patrick Rain, along with Patricks awesome girlfriend Alex, fight tostay alive afterparasitic spores have infected everyone over 18 and transformed them into terrifying zombie like creatures. Determined to save their world they embark on a mission to uncover the truth about its origins and how to defeat it.Every monster has a weakness they just have to survive long enough to figure out what it is. I enjoy a good survival story and all the death made ...more
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

My rating is 2.5 stars.

Last Chance is the second volume of Gregg Hurwitz’s Rains Series, picking up the tale of brothers Chance and Patrick Rain as they struggle to survive the transformation of their peaceful town into a zombie infested war zone. While book one, The Rains, was all about the initial outbreak, this follow-up installment delves more deeply into the progenitors of the outbreak, their true motives, and the reason why the Rain brothers find
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was offered the chance to read and review Last Chance I literally couldn’t have been happier! After reading and reviewing the first book, The Rains, and loving it, I was beyond curious to know how everything would go down. Did this book manage to live up to my standards from the first one? Absolutely. In fact, somehow, it exceeded them.

What you must love about Hurwitz is that he knows how to write action into his stories. This is set during an apocalyptic alien invasion. It’s pretty much
Janie Johnson
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I received this book in exchange for a honest review. I was not aware of the fact that it was book 2. I now may have to look for book one because I enjoyed this one so much.

This a YA post apocalyptic thriller set in the small town of Cause Creek. The storyline was pretty amazing, it kind of reminded me of the Joe Ledger series with all of the bio warfare. It was written so well and it was so believable that it had me in hyper drive for most of the story, I just could not put the book down.
Justine
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-read

This was pretty much a repetitive, boring gore-fest. The first book, The Rains, wasn't great literature or anything, but it was interesting enough that I wanted to see how it ended. I probably should have just skipped through to the last chapter on this one to find out.
 CCAM&GZM
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For this event I had to review only the second volume, Last Chance, but in order to have a complete idea, I read the first volume too, The Rains. The books are part of The Rains Brothers series by Gregg Hurwitz and I think it’s proper for you to read both of them. Howbeit, it seems normal to me to read the volumes in order without skipping a volume; the series has only these two volumes and the effort will not be too big.

Apocalypse... I realize that some of you now may start to roll your eyes,
Stephanie Ward
'Last Chance' is the second installment in the Rains series - a young adult science fiction series that readers are sure to love. Since this is the second book, I recommend reading the first book in the series, The Rains, beforehand. It's easier to understand what's happening and you'll get a chance to know the main characters. That's just my own opinion though. Right from the very start, this book was filled with non-stop action. There seemed to always be something happening, with no time to ...more
Phillip III
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Last Chance is the second book in a young adult apocalypse series. The first was Rains. This is one of those times where you definitely need to read Book 1 before diving into Book 2. Last Chance picks up right where Rains left off. The characters are already established, as is the plot. But don't worry. Both are quick, quick, and relentless reads!

So let me see if I can sum up what is going on without giving much away. I don't want to spoil the surprises for those reading this review who have not
Kathy Martin
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This sequel to THE RAINS is an action-packed, thrill-a-minute science fiction adventure. Patrick Rain, his younger brother and the narrator of the story Chance, and their best friend Alex are among the few survivors after the alien invasion. The invasion immediately turned anyone over eighteen into a sort of zombie. Anyone who turns eighteen is also infected. Patrick is the exception.

Chance had an encounter with an alien rebel who tells him that he and Patrick could be the saviors of the Earth
Casia Courtier
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from Tor Teen via Jean Book Nerd Blog Tours for an honest review. What follows is my opinion. I wasn't compensated at all.

Talk about an edge of your seat action packed read. I don't think I've ever read a book by Hurwitz before this one, but now I think I'll be looking into more.

Even though this is a second book (the first of which I hadn't read), I wasn't pulled away from the story and I wasn't pulled away from the characters. The book instantly begins at a high emotional and
Seema ♥Nerdgirl♥
Well, okay. After reading The Rains, I was so excited for this sequel. I hoped it would be my favorite sequel, but to be honest, the ending wasn't as I hoped it would be. The beginning seemed promising but then, near the ending things started getting boring involving fighting with Hatchlings and Hosts. Things like that! I like sci-fi, but they're a bit hard to understand sometimes. I felt so sad when (spoiler!) Patrick died in the end. Damn Hurwitz! Why did you do this to me? This book was ...more
Dyane Forde
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great ending to the story.
The love-triangle drama weighed down the story for me and I found myself wishing the narrative would move on to the action. But, it does serve a purpose and makes for a poignant, though predictable, ending.
The over-use of incomplete sentences also became tedious (a point I had also noted in book 1).
BUT none of that detracts from an exciting story, great characters, and an interesting premise. Not to mention, the writing was very, very good. Looking forward to reading
Sherry Guice
My 8th grade boys LOVED this series--they read four books during the fourth quarter. The book's plot is one big zombie chase scene followed by the next. I was impressed with the writing. Gregg Hurwitz writes adult fiction and has a series called Orphan X. I am planning on reading it this summer. These books are great for silent reading rate, stamina and fluency. Two of the four boys in this group wrote me thank you notes and both mentioned this series as one they loved. The books are rather long ...more
Wolf (Alpha)
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cutthroat
I really enjoyed this book. I like how Chance wasn’t going to give in to Ben. I like how Jo-Jo saved the kids when the Hosts got in. I hate how Ben tried to bargain with the queen for his life. I am glad that Chance and Patrick were both willing to give up their lives to save everyone else. I hate how Patrick had to die but I’m glad that he was able to save everyone under the age of eighteen. I rate this book five stars.
Kim Markett
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for boys to read. It’s very sci-fi but also very heart pounding and original. I enjoyed its fast pase and that in the end it is an ending that makes you content.
Carol Suraci
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Hurwitz did not disappoint! LAST CHANCE was an enjoyable, fast-paced read. Both young adults and adults will enjoy the RAINS series.
Annette
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
For teens who can't get enough of books with non-stop action, Last Chance will be sure to please.

Last Chance is the sequel to The Rains, so you may want to read that review first. There may be spoilers ahead...

We pick up where we left off in The Rains. Chance, Patrick, and Alex are trying to survive while trying to save the world. It is one ordeal for them after another.

I feel pretty much the same about Last Chance as I did The Rains. Here's what I said: For the young adult intended audience,
Victoria Perkins
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had waited for the second book in The Rains series to come out for what felt like an eternity and being left on such a cliffhanger in the first book killed me inside but... LAST CHANCE DID NOT DISAPPOINT. For the first chapter, I really couldn't remember what was going on having read the last book what felt like ages ago but I jumped right back into the storyline soon enough and it all came flashing back. The whole book is packed with action and extremely fast paced. How could there ever be ...more
P.M.
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagine being genetically engineered before your birth and learning that your purpose in life is to sacrifice yourself to save humanity! That is what the Rebel tells Chance and Patrick Rain. They must use the Serum which only they can disperse to wipe out the Queens, Drones, Harvesters, and Hatchlings. The only drawback is that they must explode just as the Hosts did to spread the alien spores which wiped out everyone over the age of 18. What a choice for two teenagers to make! I really liked ...more
Tony
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Exciting climax. Ruthless though? Didn't seem any need for certain deaths. Just for shock.
Sandra
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My heart my heart. High octane thriller from one moment to the next. Patrick, the perfect older brother with his patented, "I got it from here, little brother." And Chase, the steadfast brother with a pack of loyal and fierce dogs. Perhaps the toughest of all, Patrick's girlfriend Alex, with her sass and hockey stick. They make an unbeatable trio facing the worst zombies ever.
BookLoversLife
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My poor heart!!! This book broke me at times, but it was also.... I don't know.... emotional I suppose is the word I'm looking for because so many of them ran through me while reading.

I so want to talk about the plot but I can't because it will spoil it!! This one sees the clock ticking closer and closer to Alex's birthday and they now know for sure that she isn't immune to the virus. Patrick and Chance know as well, that they are humanities last hope, but surviving isn't easy, and with the
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not gonna lie, I shed some tears at the end. ...more
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I really enjoyed this book, action packed, well thought out and detailed, kept you interested. I won this book in a giveaway so I had not heard of the series before. Needless to say I have The Rains on order, lol.
Sandy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm only half way through this book and can't tell you how much I like it--- no love it. it's one of the best books I've read a in a very long time. I highly recommend it. I can't wait to finish it. I will definitely be looking in more of Mr. Hurwitz's books.

I received this book free in a goodreads giveaway but that most definitely didn't influence my review.
TheCosyDragon
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Chance Rain has made it through the last gasp of their plan to kill the Queen and free their home town. Too bad that the aliens can simply replace her with another. With the impregnated kids ready to hatch the next generation of invaders, Chance might be able to stop it – but it will cost him his life.

I received this, and then I literally gobbled
Stephenee
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher, but that in no way affects my review or opinion.*

This is book 2 in The Rains series and you really need to read book 1 to fully understand everything that is going on. This is the continuation and conclusion to book 1 (The Rains). This is not author Gregg Hurwitz's usual genre, however, he knocks it out of the park!

This story starts off right where book 1 ends and the reader has no problem picking right back up where they left off. The story
Robin Drake
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
description

And there are the zombies! I had thought that this was going to be a zombie book based on the first cover but it wasn't. Now the Hosts have finally, officially broken down physically. They're rotting corpses. It's fantastic! I'm glad that this detail was included in the story.

I liked this book and I wouldn't mind reading a third one (one where they restart their lives and meet other survivors). But I had some nitpicks with this book that I didn't have with the first one.

The first is actually
DANIEL
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is number two in the series. It picks up right where the first one left off. You need to read the first book in the series to fully enjoy and understand what is going on in the book. The story got you very involved with what you thought was going to happen next because you never really knew with how many curve balls were thrown at you in the book. Some things seemed a little unrealistic and far fetched. I wish it went more in depth with what the invaders actually were and how they ...more
Sharon
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author Gregg Hurwitz has taken readers back to Creek's Cause with Chance and Patrick Rains, brothers who have been struggling to help fight an alien threat that has transformed everyone over the age of 18 into horrific beings. As their small group of survivors start to age, with Patrick's girlfriend Alex getting dangerously close to turning 18, will the brothers be able to stop the threat before it is too late for all of them? When help comes in the most unexpected way, will Chance and Patrick ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Devils Unto Dust
  • The Thought Pushers (Mind Dimensions, #2)
  • Pinocula (The Creature from My Closet, #3)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • Alive? (The Alive? Series Book 1)
  • Reckoning (Silver Blackthorn, #1)
  • Rise Again (Rise Again #1)
  • The Fearless
  • The Prey (The Prey, #1)
  • Manhattan Is My Beat (Rune, #1)
  • Greetings from Nowhere
  • The Bake Shop (Amish Marketplace #1)
  • The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future
  • The Imprisoned Earth
  • Lockdown
  • Fury, Stallion Of Broken Wheel Ranch (Fury, #1)
  • Fury and the Mustangs
  • Descent (The Walking Dead #5)
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine,

Rains (2 books)