Start by marking “Your One & Only” as Want to Read:
Your One & Only

Your One & Only

Jack is a walking fossil. The only human among a sea of clones. It’s been hundreds of years since humanity died off in the slow plague, leaving the clones behind to carry on human existence. Over time they’ve perfected their genes, moving further away from the imperfections of humanity. But if they really are perfect, why did they create Jack?

While Jack longs for acceptanc
Published February 6th 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Your One & Only, please sign up.
Hillary I think they must have sold out of their inventory, but it's back available with Prime shipping from Amazon now.
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi AdeyemiThe Hazel Wood by Melissa AlbertSky in the Deep by Adrienne YoungEverless by Sara  HollandAmerican Panda by Gloria Chao
YA Debuts 2018
153 books — 643 voters
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,052 books — 5,533 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Your One & Only
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Got this through Bookish First. Let's see if it's any good!

Well that was short and sweet and not what I was hoping =(

I thought the summary of the book sounded great! You have one human and all of these clones, but I guess I'm in the unpopular opinion catagory as it didn't work for me.

I liked Jack and Althea-310 to a certain extent. I liked the ending of the story and I liked when they read all of the stuff in the journal that told stories about the clones.

I didn't like anything else =( But it
Carrie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Your One & Only by Adrianne Finlay is a young adult science fiction fantasy read that has a side of romance to it. The story is told by alternating the point of view between the two main characters in the book Althea-310, a clone, and Jack, a human created by the clones.

The story is set in a city known as Vispera that has been the home to a group of clones for 300 years since the end of human life due to a plague. Before the humans died out they perfected the ability to produce clones in hopes t
Silvia
How foolish we were, to act as gods.

You know the book is good when you don’t know how to write a review for it and when despite your reading slump and the feeling of constant, impending doom you still made time to read it.

Althea-310 is one of ten Altheas of her generation (and one of the hundred Alteas from ten different generations, all simultaneously living at the time the book takes place). Her species calls themselves Homo Factus as opposed to Homo Sapiens, which went extinct thr
Simona B
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

3.5/4

“Whatever son really meant, to [him] it was painful, dazzling, and the only thing that mattered.”

A simple though rich concept executed with skill and intelligence. Absolutely recommended.

RTC
Trina (Between Chapters)
Feb 27, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
DNFed at 60%.

This had several elements I wanted to like but unfortunately I found it uninteresting. From the title, I was expecting more of a romance, but it was just a bunch of bros constantly fighting each other, a few kisses without any feels, and an instance of rape that was completely brushed over. The first half was very rinse, wash, repeat, and I just don't care how this ends because I am not invested at all.

One of the main characters has asthma and uses an inhaler if that's something you
Tudor Vlad
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Your One & Only is a beautiful and at times heartbreaking story of acceptance and of love in a world that has lost its touch with what it means to be human. The book presents a welcoming new take on clones in a science fiction world that seems living and breathing due to Adrianne Finlay’s writing which enwraps the whole story in a prose that is thrilling and full of emotion.

Far away in the future humanity has died killed by a plague, and now the world is populated by clones. Nine types of clone
chloe ♡
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, review-copy
[I don't really like the cover. I like the heart and the DNA thingy, but the color scheme is so Christmassy, and this book is not related to Christmas at all. (There's actually another version of the cover but it's not on Goodreads?) But luckily, when I saw this book on The Fantastic Flying Book Club website, I didn't judge it by its cover at all! I found the synopsis so interesting so I signed up for the tour immediately.]

Hahahahaha. This book. Wow. #mindblown

Try to imagine being surrounded by
Ashley
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a great read! It is very refreshing take on clones, and nothing like I have ever read. It was just one of those books that I couldn't put down, and when I was finished with it I wanted to read it again and again. I can't wait for this book to come out so I can read it over and over again. It is a real page turner, and I can't wait to share it with my friends. A must read for any science fiction/ fantasy fan.
Courtney
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of: YA sci-fi, dystopian and romance
Recommended to Courtney by: Netgalley
"How foolish we were, to act as gods."

Humans have been extinct for over 300 years after being eradicated by the slow plague. Having foresaw their extinction, a group of scientists figured out a way to successfully create clones using human DNA from ten different strands (out of their many samples). Although those ten clones were meant to repopulate the earth and save humanity, they had their own vision of the future. Once the last of the humans were gone, the clones worked hard at eliminatin
Jackie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read, hmh
This was eye opening for me. I started slow, unsure about the Sci-Fi elements, thinking it wouldn't appeal to me, it's certainly not my usual taste. It didn't take long though (just one subway ride of uninterrupted reading) and then I was hooked! The world building, the characters... I can't wait for a friend to read it so we can talk about it! So much to think about.

*Disclosure: I work for HMH, but I do not review HMH titles unless I feel extremely strongly about them as a reader. They have to
Adrianne
Sep 20, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
From the author:

Hello Goodreads!
I'm so excited to share YOUR ONE & ONLY with the world! If you like science fiction, or clones, or stories set in the future with a bit of romance, you might like this book.
Look for it on release day, February 6, 2018, and keep an eye out here for swag, giveaways, news, and notes.
Thanks for checking it out, and happy reading!

Debra
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What does it mean to be different? To be the only one of your kind?

What does it mean to be the same? What if you were the same but you felt different?

What is acceptance?

Jack is the only human living among clones. Clones who see themselves as being the normal ones and Jack as being an anomaly. He is erratic. He has his own thoughts and does not resemble anyone else. He experiences emotions and acts on them. The majority of the clones treat him with animosity; while there is one clone, Althea-310
Vicky Again
This book was so quick to read! I sped through it really quickly and almost wish there was more for me to dig into.

Although it may seem like romance-centric, I found that this wasn't really the focus of the plot--there was so much more happening in the story.

The characters were all very interesting to me--Jack and Althea were very different, but the same underlying theme of "outsider" ran true between them.

Jack obviously strongly feels that all-permeating loneliness of being the only human on Ea
Rachel
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought it yesterday, started it this morning, and finished it this afternoon. Every world distraction was an annoyance from which I’d have to drag myself from the book.

The dog needs out? Grrr.
I am thirsty? Grrr.
It’s beyond lunchtime? Grrr.
What did you say? I was reading! Grrr.

Now, everyone around me can rest easy after I closed the book with a satisfied sigh.

Thanks for a much welcome book hangover, A. Finlay!
Caitlin
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars! Surprising, fascinating, touching. I loved this book! A love story wrapped in a futuristic tale of a world where humans have brought about their own destruction, and in their attempt to save themselves they've created something new and supposedly "better." But, the story asks, what has been lost along the way, and what will it take to get that lost humanity back? This is the kind of book that makes you stay up too late because you have to read "just one more page." Great characters, gre ...more
Karen’s Library
This story was a very unique take on clones, a utopia world set in a postapocalyptic future, and one human boy created by the clones. And I could barely put it down! It was just so different from other sci-fi books and had an element of all of my favorite genres.

It had a little bit of The Giver feel to me in that the world is "perfect". But really, it's actually far from perfect!

The reveals all came at the perfect times. And the ending was very satisfying. I'd like to see a sequel to see what
Sheryl Martin
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this from Netgalley for an honest review

This one started out slow for me and I wasn't too sure about the sci-fi elements but it ended up pulling me in. The world building and the characters were so believable and it was just so well written. I just felt like I was living the in the world of the book. I'll be buying this one and recommending it to everyone!
Cindy ✩☽♔
Nov 12, 2017 marked it as to-read
Hmm...I am not sure how I feel about the cover being changed from this:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
While I was not in love with this cover, it somehow feels more fitting with synopsis than the current cover, but whatever. I guess the deed is done.
Flavia
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

This book surprised me in so many ways! I had a bit of an idea about the atmosphere and story that I would experience in Your One & Only, and while it did meet those expectations, it also did so much more! From the first page, I realize that this book would be well-written and unique. The manner in which the clones were depicted was also quite interesting, and I’m always intrigued by the whole discussion about what makes humans, well, human.

The writing in Your One & Only was very enjoy
Jen
This is a great YA look at cloning and it's effects. It's set in the future in a post-human world. At first I thought Jack was a human who was the only one left after something killed everyone but the clones. But the story takes a completely different tack and backs it up with some reasonable-to-believe science.

My only problem with this story is all the loose ends. The ending is a good idea but didn't play out well and there are characters that just drop out of sight. It wasn't much of a satisf
Meigan
With its unique and inventive storyline centering around clones and what it means to be human, Your One & Only was such an interesting, fast-paced book that simultaneously delivered a hefty dose of creepy.

Several hundred years into the future after real humans died out from a plague, the only “people” left are clones. Every few years, the same 9 clones are recreated, and each set of clones are given a number that correlates to their generation. They’re also named after the original human they w
Aneta Bak
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
For 300 years, the Homo factus species have survived in a post apocalyptic world dominated by the Snow Plague. There is a new generation of Homo factus every 10 years, using 9 different sets of DNA to make 10 copies of each sibling. Althea-310 is different than her 9 sisters, by carrying a small scar on her hand. No one wants to be different, especially when your other sisters are perfect, but when she meets Jack, the only human in the compound brought back to life through genetics, to fix their ...more
Suze Lavender
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Humanity has become extinct because of the slow plague. A few groups of clones that can't get ill have survived. There are nine of them, which means nine different faces, and they keep reproducing, so plenty of versions of the same person are walking around and they each get a number. They are connected and they feel each other's emotions. Every clone has an area of expertise and they all work in groups leading a peaceful existence. However, things aren't as perfect as they seem. The clones have ...more
Caryn Lix
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome addition to the dystopian genre. The idea of cloning has so much possibility, and Adrianne Finlay really does an amazing job of bringing out that potential. This story will draw you in and make you think about what makes us who we are!
Amy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From Page One I was drawn into the world of Vispera. I loved the dichotomy and shifting relationships between the human, Jack, and the other clones. Finlay does a superb job of building this world and how complicated it has become. The tense plotting kept me guessing until the end. A highly recommended read!
Wendy Wilcox
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-pics, 2017
I had been looking forward to receiving an ARC for this book and it did not disappoint! Finlay constructs a fast-paced, futuristic tale that combines the social commentary of The Giver with the clinical rawness of Brave New World into its own unique vision of our future.

In a world where "different" has absolutely no place, Althea-310 struggles to suppress her uniqueness. When she meets Jack, a human and one-of-a-kind in a world of clones, she is propelled forward on a path that will take her fur
Jessi
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Your One & Only had me intrigued from the moment I read the back of the book. It deals with a future where humanity has become extinct and in our place, clones live. Everything about it is so intricate and plausible. It took a few chapters to really draw me in though, but once it got going boy did it hook me! It has all the vibes of The Giver and even a little Divergent. What I loved about this book was the concept, the alternating points of view, and the world it built. I was a little let down ...more
Amelia Brunskill
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and at times heart-wrenching, this novel explores the dark side of a seemingly utopian community of clones.

I was hooked within the first chapter, and as the novel progressed I found myself equally enjoying the alternating perspectives of Jack, a human boy being raised in the community, and Althea, a clone girl who is starting to become an individual.

The world building was excellent, giving rich insight into this society of clones that exists centuries after an epidemic deva
Jessie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The writing, the story, the characters. Science fiction meets romance? Yes, please. Finlay's honest look at what it means to be human when almost no one else is (hm, sounds familiar) is captivating and beautiful.
Grace P
Adrianne Finlay is a debut young adult novelist originally from Ithaca, New York. A college professor of creative writing, composition, and literature courses, she has a plethora of writing experiences to offer her readers. She currently resides in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

YOUR ONE & ONLY is an innovative dystopian and science fiction novel set in 2407, a time where humans, having died off from a plague, have been cloned through three centuries and have struggled with retaining aspects of humanity. Thi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Bookish First Rea...: Your One & Only by Adrianne Finlay 1 2 Oct 22, 2019 10:20AM

• Pitch Dark
  • This Splintered Silence
  • Brightly Burning
  • Toxic
  • Sia Martinez and the Moonlit Beginning of Everything
  • Some Kind of Animal
  • Prelude for Lost Souls (Prelude for Lost Souls, #1)
  • Going Places
  • The Lonely Dead
  • Ignite the Sun
  • Till Midnight (Reversed Retellings, #1)
  • No More Excuses: Dismantling Rape Culture
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1)
  • The June Boys
  • Raybearer (Raybearer, #1)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Ever Cursed
Originally from Ithaca, New York, Adrianne Finlay now lives in Cedar Falls, Iowa with her husband, the poet J. D. Schraffenberger, and their two young daughters. She received her PhD in literature and creative writing from Binghamton University, and is an associate professor of English at Upper Iowa University in Fayette, Iowa.
She is also an avid soap maker, and sells handmade soap locally to rai

News & Interviews