Start by marking “The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily” as Want to Read:
The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily

The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily

When Lily Michaels-Ryan ditches her ADHD meds and lands in detention with Abelard, who has Asperger’s, she’s intrigued—Abelard seems thirty seconds behind, while she feels thirty seconds ahead. It doesn't hurt that he’s brilliant and beautiful.

When Abelard posts a quote from The Letters of Abelard and Heloise online, their mutual affinity for ancient love letters connects
Published December 26th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily, please sign up.
JD In the not so distant past, lobotomies were performed on patients whose illness did not respond to other forms of treatment. For a while it was…moreIn the not so distant past, lobotomies were performed on patients whose illness did not respond to other forms of treatment. For a while it was considered the answer to a variety of psychiatric problems:

Laura Schultz I loved Abelard and Lily. The emotions I felt while reading reminded me of Rainbow Rowell's books. I recommend all of those! Especially: Fangirl,…moreI loved Abelard and Lily. The emotions I felt while reading reminded me of Rainbow Rowell's books. I recommend all of those! Especially: Fangirl, Eleanor and Park, and Attachments.(less)

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Thank you HMH Teen for providing an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Love Letters of Abelard & Lily is such a wonderful debut novel with protagonists that have an ADHD and Asperger Syndrome / Asperger's. Lily Michaels-Ryan and  Abelard Mitchell  have known each other since they were kids but it wasn't until they're in high school where they got closer. It all started one day, she and Abelard broke the classroom wall and got detention. For Lily, attending school is a da
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, giveaways
This was a very interesting, thought provoking, and emotional read. There was much more depth than I expected and I really liked that because it made the story seem more raw and real.

In all elements with this novel it seemed similar to a John Green novel. That isn't an insult AT ALL. John Green writes deep, emotional novels with complex characters and that was exactly what this novel also had. Both of the main characters are struggling with their own personal dilemmas while also trying to be th
Ishmeen
First of all, I want to thank HMH teen for providing me an arc of this book via Netgalley

I had been eagerly waiting for The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily to be released so when my request to review it was accepted, you can imagine how I grateful I was! I was really intrigued by the synopsis since I have read books with autistic reps in the past but never one with an ADHD rep!

I quite liked the pace of the story and although there is insta-love, the relationship development between Lily and A
Brinkley
Feb 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
HOLY FREAKING MOTHER THIS BOOK HAS A HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISTIC NARRATOR!!!!!

AKA ME!!!!!

(okay, I get he's a boy. BUT THERE'S A GIRL WITH ADHD!!!!)

December can't come soon enough.
Stacee

I loved this synopsis and was pretty eager to get into this story.

Love love loved Lily and Abelard. I loved that they find each other and start the sweetest relationship. I loved being inside Lily’s head, but would have loved to get inside Abelard’s, even for just a peek.

Plot wise, it was fantastic. It’s heartbreaking and hopeful and swoony and the way ADHD and Aspergers is portrayed felt authentic. And the use of the letters was unique and created a new path for the both of them thro
Nadhira Satria
Mar 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
A book with a female main character that have ADHD, written by an author that also have ADHD?

My ADHD ass is living
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you, HMH Teen, for giving me an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Love is about being broken beyond repair in the eyes of the world and finding someone who thinks you're just fine.

I'm glad that I've found another meaningful contemporary novel that deals with mental health. I honestly didn't have high expectations when I requested this book from the publisher, so I was delightfully surprised by its enlightening and philosophical content. If you're looking for an Own Voices
Jessica (BookObsessedJess)
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 3-stars
I feel like I am being pulled in multiple directions. I adored the cuteness of this book. There was so much to like...and dislike....

All quotes are not final until actual publication.

You are a fractured snowflake, a pattern repeated in infinite detail in a world full of salt crystals. You're not broken-you're perfect."

PRO: Proper ADHD representation and Asperger's representation. Lily is 30 seconds ahead, neurons firing at lightspeed and Abelard is 30 seconds behind in processing. They are both
Brina (Brina and the Books)
2 Stars

Read full review here: 5171 Miles Book Blog

Thank you to HMH Books for Young Readers and NetGalley for providing an ARC for review.

I think the coolest feature of this story was the authenticity of Abelard and Heloise, the two people Abelard and Lily bonded over. Abelard and Heloise, two star-crossed lovers from the medieval times around 1116, became famous for exchanging love letters - just like Abelard and Lily did in this story, only they exchanged love letters via text. They not only te
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“For every horrible person in the universe, there is a truly amazingly good person waiting to undo the evil. It’s all a matter of timing.”

The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily is such a beautifully rendered contemporary novel that resonates emotionally and effectively uses well-crafted characters to engage you in a moving story of human connection. We follow two neurodivergent teens, Lily Michaels-Ryan, who has ADHD, and Abelard Mitchell, who has Asperger’s, as they come together after servin
Rê
description

4 “Keep the #ownvoices books coming” Stars

This book was so, so good. Cute. Heartbreaking, at times. Romantic. And above all, authentic.

I’m not the best judge of ADHD or Asperger’s rep, but this sure felt like one of the most authentic representations of neurodivergent teens I’d seen in a while. And I’m a firm believer that is the result of the author’s experience. This is another successful example of why we need more #ownvoice books.

In The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily, we follow Lilly’s str
Samantha (WLABB)
I loved so many things about this book, but mostly I loved Lily. Obviously, the hopeless romantic in me adored that Lily and Abelard found each other. These two people, who were considered "different" connected through the words of two long ago lovers, and from there, love flourished. This one delivered a lot more than I was expecting, and I loved just about every second of it!

•Pro: Lily. I LOVED Lily. Being in her head was quite an experience. Her voice was clear and distinct. She had so much t
Odette Knappers
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, inbezit
En weer heeft Gottmer een succesnummer gekozen om uit te geven. Ze geven niet superveel YA uit, maar wat ze uitgeven vind ik over het algemeen echt supergoed.

ZO ook dit boek. Ik leefde heel erg met het hoofdpersonage mee. Ze hebben ook iets bijzonders gedaan met hoe de wereld voor haar binnenkomt, waardoor ik me veel beter in haar kon verplaatsen dan als ze dat op de normale manier hadden opgeschreven. Dit vind ik echt bijzonder en knap én fijn!

Het plot vind ik gewoon super. Ik heb de hele achtb
Anna Priemaza
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lily Michaels-Ryan thinks of herself as She-Hulk. She's constantly breaking things, acting on impulses, and generally feeling more monster than human, as her ADHD makes her feel like her brain is broken. And being a monster is lonely.

But then she starts dating Abelard, who not only understands what it's like to feel broken (since he's on the autism spectrum), but who finds her broken brain to be fascinating and beautiful. And for the first time, she doesn't feel so alone. But just like everythin
Esther
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit boek was zo mooi!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
**Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complementary copy of THE LOVE LETTERS OF ABELARD AND LILY in exchange for my honest review**

GRADE: B
4 STARS

Lily, impulsively kisses her classmate after going off her ADHD meds. Abelard is high functioning on the Autism Spectrum, doesn't normally like to be touched. The two begin aa atypical romance, despite their challenges, but those challenges may just tear them apart.

Laura Creedle's debut novel will have broad appeal to those with and without disabi
Read InAGarden
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The description on Edelweiss originally included information stating that Lily had ADHD and Abelard had Aspergers. I immediately thought I have to read this book. I want to see inside the minds of these characters. Creedle didn't disappoint in her writing. Lily is a fully formed character with ADHD. Readers get to experience all the chaos inside her mind and understand (somewhat) what it is like to live life on the attention defecit spectrum. Then there is Abelard in all of his quirkiness. It is ...more
Dahlia
I don't know about the depiction of autism, and this is really not a book for people who hate instalove, but it was definitely interesting to read a YA with a female main character who has ADHD. That was my favorite aspect for sure. For me, it wasn't as successful with the romance or the general conceit, but I'm glad I read it for a POV I haven't seen before.
Amanda Rawson Hill
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was everything. I finished it in a day and a half because I couldn't stop reading. The characters are all fully formed and so real and relatable. The insights into ADHD were fantastic. Such a beautiful book.
Julie
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: debut
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of this amazing story and I loved it. Lily is so raw and real and her struggles to make sense of her ADHD and her family and her love for Abelard made this book completely engrossing.
Nancy
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What to say? All I can say is that I read this book over the course of two days, couldn't put it down and loved every word, every character and every moment that I spent with Lily and Abelard. Whew. I'm exhausted from all the emotions.
Joost
'De liefdesbrieven van Abelard & Lily' beschrijft een relatie tussen twee bijzondere pubers, maar wat ik van dit verhaal vond? Dat lees je in mijn recensie!
Leann Elaine
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got to read this book as an ARC, and I must say it was wonderful! Lily is unique, but oh so familiar. There were many times where she would say or think something, and it was the same thing I had heard from my family members who are dyslexic or have ADHD. I felt like I was reading their story, and that meant the world to me. I can't wait to share this book with them.

I was surprised, because I thought this was just a love story, but really, this was Lily's story, and how she grows and matures.
carolina ☾
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
By the middle, i was kind of done with it.
Lorna
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a sweet love story and had good representation of people who aren't necessarily neurotypical.

The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily by Laura Creedle follows the story of Lily Michaels-Ryan, a sixteen-year-old girl who suffers from ADHD and dyslexia. During class one day, she breaks a crank on a wall that Abelard Mitchell is on the other side of. Abelard Mitchell is a classmate of Lily's who struggles with autism spectrum disorder. After Lily is forced to apo
Emmy
I never connected with Lily as a character and, consequently, didn't care all that much about her story. I liked Abelard and almost think I would have preferred the book told from his POV.
Rebecca
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This was a one-sit read for me! Once I started, I couldn't stop. Come distractions and emotional upheavals, I couldn't put it down. Except for the occasions where the tenuous nature of first loves, what it means to have control over your life, and the question of what is broken and what is normal drove me to stare into the vast eternity of the white ceiling above me. I can't wait for this book to be out in the world so that people I know and love can find this book and know it and love it the sa ...more
Isidora
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think everyone should read this book. It's such a lovely and charming love story about two different children who want to feel love. And it will melt your heart and it will leave you heartbroken,but when you meet Abelard and Lily you will not regret one minute spending with them. Not one minute. Because they will grovel in your heart and stay there forever.

If you want to read whole review you can do it at pobesnelabubamara.blogspot.rs :)
Leigh Mar
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finished an ARC of this in one sitting. Lily and Abelard's story is sweet and unique and made me smile and, okay, made me cry a bit too. Being in Lily's POV pulls you into her challenges and frustrations and you can't help but root for her from chapter 1. Loved it!
Cynthia
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Such a great story! Lily and Abelard are such endearing characters. I am probably what you would call neurotypical, but I felt that I had a fascinating glimpse into what it must be like to live with severe ADHD and a tiny glimpse into the world of Asperger’s syndrome in our heroine and hero. I loved the construct of texting back and forth using quotes from a pair of real-life Medieval lovers. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, teen or older.
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily by Laura Creedle --> Starting 9th Feb 55 21 Feb 11, 2018 11:24PM
DiverseCity: Postscript and Final Thoughts 4 21 Jan 25, 2018 04:50PM
DiverseCity: Chapters 16-20 5 9 Jan 24, 2018 01:31AM

• Crazy Messy Beautiful
  • The Theory of Everything
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
  • The Devil's Dreamcatcher (The Devil's, #2)
  • The Chaos of Now
  • Rosie Girl
  • Things Jolie Needs to Do Before She Bites It
  • Rani Patel in Full Effect
  • Chaotic Good
Laura Creedle is ADHD, dyslexic and neuro-divergent. She writes young adult novels and blogs at http://adhd-writer.com. She lives in Austin, Texas in an urban forest with her husband and son, a cat who thinks he's a dog, and a tiny dog who acts like a cat. Also, a half dozen raccoons who have burrowed into her attic. Unless she plays NPR on a radio in the attic, because as everyone knows, raccoons ...more
“Yes,” Abelard said finally. “You are a fractured snowflake, a pattern repeated in infinite detail in a world full of salt crystals. You’re not broken—you’re perfect.” Perfect. Some tight, hard shell around my heart cracked open. I hadn’t even known I’d walled my heart away from this terrible world.” 6 likes
“I'm learning that my brain will invent catastrophic scenarios that bear absolutely no relationship to reality because, like Heloise, I am too much accustomed to misfortune to expect any happy turn.” 4 likes