Start by marking “The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (The Vanderbeekers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (The Vanderbeekers, #1)

The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street

(The Vanderbeekers #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  7,713 ratings  ·  1,564 reviews
The Vanderbeekers have always lived in the brownstone on 141st Street. It's practically another member of the family. So when their reclusive, curmudgeonly landlord decides not to renew their lease, the five siblings have eleven days to do whatever it takes to stay in their beloved home and convince the dreaded Beiderman just how wonderful they are. And all is fair in love ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street, please sign up.
Kate Willis If you enjoy stories like the Melendys or The Moffats, you may like this book. It's a slower story, but the characters are rich and sweet. ;)
Emily Goodreads is for cataloging and reviewing the books you read. Try a library or bookstore.

·  7,713 ratings  ·  1,564 reviews

Start your review of The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (The Vanderbeekers, #1)
Mischenko
The Vanderbeekers have been living in the brownstone on 141st Street for what seems like forever. It's their family home, but suddenly their landlord (Mr. Beiderman) gives them notice that their lease won't be renewed. They have to be out just after Christmas!

The Vanderbeekers are all shocked. Where will they live? Why must they move? What's up with Beiderman? This move will certainly disrupt their lives, so the five siblings set out to do whatever they can to convince Beaderman to let them stay
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg! That was so sweet!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

Lisa Vegan
A new book for my favorites shelf! Also I wrote it in and voted for it for Best Children’s Book and for Best Goodreads Debut Author book for the opening round of the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards. I don’t know that it will move on to further rounds, given that so far not too many readers have read it, yet, but I hope that it does. I also hope and assume that it will eventually be widely read.

To all the usual suspects, my friends that enjoy children's novels, I'm highly recommending this one!!!

Th
Linda Williams Jackson
Have you ever had a book come along just when you needed it most?

When I requested the ARC of Karina Yan Glaser’s The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street, I had no idea that upon approval of the request, I would be in the midst of a very rough week and that this lovely book would be my refuge. My week was harried and anxiety-ridden, but every time I opened my Kindle to this book, I felt like I was taking a mini-vacation.

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed the world of the Vanderbeekers. Karina Yan Glaser has created
Hilary
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Hilary by: Lisa Vegan
I feel mean giving this book such a low rating as everyone else loves this book and my goodreads friend who recommended this to us shares many books we both absolutely love but we really didn't enjoy this at all.

We liked the cover artwork although there is a floor missing on the Vanderbeeker's house and the house to the left appears to be on a different level as the top of the door dissapears into the pavement? The line drawings inside reminded me of Nick Sharrat whose illustrations I strongly d
Kate Willis
My mom just finished reading this aloud to us all at my recommendation. Everyone from my dad to my youngest sister enjoyed our journey through the book. And I loved it just as much the second time around. <3

I loved all of the characters in this book. I never got confused about which kid was which (except for the first few chapters when I thought the dog, Franz, was one of the kids :P). They were all unique with their own goals no matter how small but similar enough to all be from the same family
Rebecca McNutt
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Remember those classic middle-grade novels that hit the world in that late 50's to early 70's period? Harriet the Spy, Beezus and Ramona, books like that? This quirky and interesting story reminded me a lot of those in a nostalgic sort of way, and it's nice to know that authors are still putting out writing for kids that doesn't focus on cell phones and iPads. ...more
Mackenzie Lane
A sweet story about a rambunctious family set in Harlem during Christmas! It's such a cute read, and had one of the most wholesome endings to a book I've ever read.
mindful.librarian ☀️
The Vanderbeekers are guaranteed to steal the heart of every single reader who picks up this book, children and adults alike. This is THE feel-good and huggable middle grade novel of 2017.

Thank you to the author for providing Kid Lit Exchange with a review copy of this title.

Okay, so this is one of those emotional reviews for me - one where I really don't tell you much about the book but just rave and rave and tell you how much I loved it. The Vanderbeekers instantly brought me back to readi
Laura Shovan
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfect middle grade novel to read over the holidays. I fell in love with the 5 Vanderbeeker children and the cast of friends, neighbors, and pets that make up their community. The Biederman is a Scrooge-like Christmas villain and the children's efforts to butter him up are hilarious disasters. Fans of middle grade family stories -- the Melendys, Hilary McKay's Casson family, the Penderwicks, All of a Kind Family -- will enjoy the Vanderbeekers, no matter what the season.
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
DELIGHTFUL! CHARMING! I love this quirky family of seven, the community they’ve fostered in their neighborhood, their sweetness (and occasional saltiness) with each other. Laney, the four year old and youngest, especially won my heart. She was a little fairy sprite of a thing, flitting about handing out hugs - I just found her so endearing! I can’t wait to read the next book in the Vanderbeeker’s adventures.
Allison Tebo
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, buy
Re-read 2020.

Original Review:

A sweet little book but not quite as amazing as I thought it would be - although I must say the cover art and interior formatting are all that one could desire.

It was a little difficult at points to keep the children straight, and I felt that the authoress would have been better off combining some of the character bits into four more rounded children, then six murkier ones. It was nice to see one of the sisters (Jessie) so interested in science. I loved her incredi
Laura (bbliophile)
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you ever cry tears of happiness because of how lovely a book is? Because that's what happened to me with this book
Ian
When their grouchy landlord who lives in the top floor apartment decides to not renew their lease, the Vanderbeekers face not only having to leave their beloved Harlem Brownstone they might have to leave New York.

The Vanderbeeker children set about convincing the Beiderman to let them stay.

This book is completely charming. it's written for young readers but I loved it.
m a r y l i z
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absolutely darling. I want to live in the Vanderbeekers' version of New York, lol.

4 stars!
Jessica Woodbury
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is quietly amazing how this book manages to be charming and light on its feet but also present problems that will hit kids with real weight. A fabulous balance that was really lovely to read.

This is in some ways an old school book, one relying heavily on the power of one family just loving each other a lot. It's also diverse without being showy about it, the Vanderbeekers are a biracial family, their friends and neighbors are of different races and genders and abilities.

I will admit, as an in
Joanne O'Sullivan
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The sweetest, cutest story! I kept imagining this is what a Wes Anderson movie made specifically for kids would be like! The Vanderbeekers are a quintessentially New York eccentric family, with bright kids, each with their own unique character. When they face losing their home in a beloved Harlem brownstone, they spring into action. I loved how Glaser emphasized the power of community and the power of music in this story- this world felt so real and the reader is 100 percent behind the kids as t ...more
Emily
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that's positively overflowing with charm. The Vanderbeeker children are hilarious, and I fell instantly in love with each one of them and with the happy chaos of their household of 5 children, one dog, one cat and one bunny. I couldn't have loved them more! Karina Yan Glaser is an author to watch.
Amber
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
When the Vanderbeeker family finds out that they are not going to have their lease renewed and have to move after Christmas, the Vanderbeeker siblings must team up and do whatever they can to save their home. Will they succeed? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good read about family and what it means to be kind and more. If you love these types of family stories, be sure to check this one out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Abigail
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for New & Delightful Family Stories for the Middle-Grade Set
Karina Yan Glaser delivers a charming family story and a delightfully heartwarming Christmas tale with her debut children's novel, The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street. When the five Vanderbeeker siblings - twelve-year-old twins, Isa and Jessie, nine-year-old Oliver, six-year-old Hyacinth, and four-year-old Laney - discover that they are in danger of losing their home, they are terribly dismayed. They have always lived at the brownstone at 141st Street, in New York City's Harlem, and they have alwa ...more
Kelly
May 05, 2017 added it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I loved the hell outta this book and the entire Vanderbeeker clan.
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read and reviewed for the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/27/bo... ...more
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
I wasn’t sure about this book at first, but the back cover sounded interesting, so I tried it out. Besides a few words I would have preferred being left out, it was a really cute story and I definitely plan on reading the rest of the series.

Content:
*Some Christian content (blessings over food, a mention of a dad reading “a big book” in the morning, mentions of churches and a nativity set)

*Minor cussing (a handful of ‘fudge’s; a couple ‘sucks’, a ‘freaking’, a few ‘screwed up’s, a c
Skip
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A feel good middle school story about a Harlem family, the Vanderbeekers. A family of five children, parents, dog and rabbit, they live in a brownstone in Harlem, which they can afford because the father acts as the superintendent. The family and neighborhood are both very caring, but there is a pending disaster: their landlord, Mr. Beiderman, decides not to renew their lease, and they have to move right after Christmas. While the parents are packing and worried about whether they can even affor ...more
Penny Wood
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect, perfect, perfect!!! I love this book so much! It's so dear!
I love the characters, the setting, the plot, EVERYTHING!!! It's just a great story!!
The siblings reminded me of the Hunters on Hunter Street. And the plot was a teensy bit like it too.
There was something about this book that almost felt whimsical. And that made it beyond wonderful to read! I'd gladly recommend it to my friends!!! <3
(P.S. Ship Isa and Benny. Now.)
Wendi Lee
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

I loved this book!! Loved it! At first I was nervous because there are five Vanderbeeker kids, and I know from other books (not naming names) that sometimes too many siblings can cause mass confusion and cardboard personalities for the entire book. But here, every sibling is so well-written! I loved them all, as well as their plight to save their childhood home and unravel the mystery of their mean, agoraphobic landlord.

Read for my stepson's Battle of the Books.
Valerie Kyriosity
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Ahhhh...a story about a family with two married parents and their five kids, all of whom love each other (imperfectly, but truly) and learn to love better. Refreshing...and almost subversive these days! I found it delightful and found myself wishing I'd had it when I was a kid.

The narrator was good.
Danielle
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade-ya
The Vanderbeekers are a charming family surrounded by charming neighbors and their story of connection, camaraderie, and triumph warmed my heart! A very merry read.
Luisa Knight
Ages: 7 - 14

Cleanliness:

Children's Bad Words
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 11 Incidents: freaking, fudge, scr*wed up, dang, shut up
Name Calling - 4 Incidents: What a punk!, Rotten Beiderman, dummy, Stupid Beiderman
Religious Profanities - 3 Incidents: Geez, thank goodness

Romance Related - 12 Incidents: A mother and father kiss. A boy wants to take a girl to a dance. They are good friends, nothing really romantic is mentioned except that they like each other. This is throughout the book. A hus
Ms. Yingling
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline
Am I the only one bothered by the parents' irresponsibility and lack of planning? Apparently, I am. Also wasn't wild about the explanation for why Mr. Biederman was so negative. Sure, it's a cute story, but really, really worrisome!

The Vanderbeekers family of five children, parents, dog and rabbit have lived on two floors in a brownstone in Harlem. The father grew up in the same neighborhood. Just before Christmas, however, their landlord, Mr. Beiderman, de

• The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • The One and Only Bob
  • The Penderwicks at Last (The Penderwicks, #5)
  • Sidetracked
  • Merci Suárez Changes Gears
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette (The Penderwicks, #3)
  • The Penderwicks in Spring (The Penderwicks, #4)
  • Lemons
  • Winterhouse (Winterhouse, #1)
  • The Doughnut Fix (The Doughnut Fix #1)
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Louisiana's Way Home
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • The Perfect Score  (The Perfect Score, #1)
Originally from California, Karina came to New York City for college and has stuck around for nearly twenty years. She has had a varied career teaching and implementing literacy programs in family homeless shelters and recruiting healthcare professionals to volunteer in under resourced areas around the world. Now as a mother, one of her proudest achievements is raising two kids who can’t go anywhe ...more

The Vanderbeekers (4 books)
  • The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers, #2)
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers, #3)
  • The Vanderbeekers Lost and Found (The Vanderbeekers, #4)