Start by marking “Istanbul and Beyond: Exploring the Diverse Cuisines of Turkey” as Want to Read:
Istanbul and Beyond: Exploring the Diverse Cuisines of Turkey

Istanbul and Beyond: Exploring the Diverse Cuisines of Turkey

The most extensive and lushly photographed Turkish cookbook to date, by two internationally acclaimed experts

Standing at the crossroads between the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and Asia, Turkey boasts astonishingly rich and diverse culinary traditions. Journalist Robyn Eckhardt and her husband, photographer David Hagerman, have spent almost twenty years discovering the
Published October 10th 2017 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Istanbul and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Istanbul and Beyond

Start your review of Istanbul and Beyond: Exploring the Diverse Cuisines of Turkey
Kristin
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: turkey, cookbooks
9/10 Tested recipes for this book and already pre-ordered! Can't wait for the October release!

10/21 The cookbook finally arrived! Prior to publication, I tested recipes for kete (p.93), kule (p.92) and eggplant pickles (p.156). Below is an ongoing list of recipes we've tried since the book was published.

Mercimek corbasi (p.43) - This recipe is very similar to the recipe I typically use. The only differences are that this one calls for 1/2 cup more lentils, butter instead of oil, and no salca. T
Dawn
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, read-2020, own
I have perused these recipes countless times since I picked this book up at the library. I must have put in 20 bookmarks for recipes I want to try. I have made 4 recipes and all were successful. All will be added to my regular repertoire as they were easy and yummy. I'll be looking for a copy of this book to permanently add to my shelves.
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The photography in this cookbook is so breathtaking I would frame pages and hang them in my home. The recipes are also beautiful: many uses for grains and fish that were new to me, lots of bright tomato dishes and lovely breads. I am excited to try a few recipes soon.
K
I celebrate the cookbook ‘Istanbul & Beyond : Exploring the Diverse Cuisines of Turkey’ by the deeply-admired food writer Robyn Eckhardt. More than five years in the making, this cookbook not only makes me want to cook, but to also get in a car and get out there to explore Turkey, just as Robyn and her husband Dave Hagerman did in discovering and documenting recipes.

What a collaboration! Dave is an award-winning photographer and took all of the photos showcasing Anatolia and her food-ways that R
Dominika
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
God, this is such a beautiful cookbook. I have a mild obsession with Turkey and Istanbul in general, so I had to get this book since with Erdogan in power, it's highly unlikely that I'd visit it anytime soon (crying because I can't see Hagia Sofia). There are so many beautiful recipes in here, covering several regions and specialities, most of which are simple yet special. I live in a mid-sized city and can find most of the ingredients, but they have some staple recipes in the back. But man, thi ...more
Sjancourtz
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely cookbook with many (MANY) delicious dishes. I especially appreciate how the author recommends occasionally roasting eggplant rather than frying (we don't need all that oil, and the dishes still taste great.) And I was surprised to see so many recipes for corn! who knew? And ya gotta try the double-marinated chicken wings (they make a mess of your oven with a lot of spitting. I found I can roast them at a lower 425 and get the same results with less flying fat.) Either way, totally yummy w ...more
Lisa
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was so interesting and delicious. This is not the normal fair of food that I would normally pick however, I would love to try this food everything looked so eat-able. The culture and pictures for the actual country are beautiful. The recipes themselves I wish that there were way more pictures but there is a fair amount. Some recipes are intensive with many ingredients and steps while others are fun and simple. This would be a beautiful place to see. and eat your way through the country. Thi ...more
rêveur d'art
A keeper. This is not my first foray into Turkish cuisine, but this is definitely the best and most wide-ranging I've had the pleasure of reading. I read this alongside my re-read of Istanbul: A Tale of Three Cities earlier this month which I loved doing.

It was interesting to read this cookbook alongside the cookbooks, Taste of Persia: A Cook's Travels Through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, and Kurdistan and Morocco: A Culinary Journey with Recipes from the Spice-Scented Markets of Marrake
Yvette
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. I’ve borrowed, bought and cooked from a few other Turkish cookbooks but none of them were as unique and as interesting as this one. I’ve traveled extensively through Turkey and still, I learnt A LOT from this book. Each dish I’ve cooked from this book have been new-to-me. The recipes are thorough, easy to follow and the photos... they’re simply stunning. I use this book in the kitchen (often) and have it sitting on my coffee table to flick through and dream. Fabulous.
Kym
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not being well-traveled, I appreciate the photos and back stories that accompany many of the recipes. I am looking forward to trying out many of them. Although I'm not sure I can find all of the ingredients, I am sure that I can figure out a suitable substitution. Looking forward to cooking from this book.
Johanna Kindvall
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a cookbook that will soon be marked with stains of grease and traces of flour. I have added several recipes to my new favorite dishes for everyday meals or treats to share at parties. The recipes are easy to follow and many of the ingredients are easy to get in almost any grocery store. The photographs are beautiful and breathtaking. I love it!
Jaci Chandler
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have followed this blog forever and love all of the posts. I'm happy they finally finished their cookbook. It's excellent and so beautifully illustrated. I only hope they do one on Asia next. Perhaps the cuisines of Malaysia.
Joan
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Turkey has long been on my list for places to go, so this books about its regional cuisines was the perfect armchair visit.

The photography is beautiful and the commentary is so interesting. I acquired a few recipes too, naturally!
Manon
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kookboeken
Love this book about Turkish regional cuisine. Very versatile.
Jaguar
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BEST COOKBOOK EVER!!
Maxine
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My husband and I loved reading this book and preparing the recipes due to our love of Istanbul after a few visits and Turkish food in general. One thing that takes this book to the next level is the stunning photography that accompany the recipes!
Kristen

• The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection
  • You Can Thank Me Later: A Novella
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • The 3-Day Effect
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Heaven, My Home (Highway 59 #2)
  • The Big Ones: How Natural Disasters Have Shaped Us and What We Can Do about Them
  • The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir
  • Blessed Are the Refugees: Beatitudes of Immigrant Children
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • Unapologetic: A Black, Queer, and Feminist Mandate for Radical Movements
  • Fagioli: The Bean Cuisine of Italy
  • The Essential Rumi
  • Whole Bowls: Complete Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Meals to Power Your Day
  • A Forgotten Place (Bess Crawford, #10)
  • Black Crow, White Snow