Start by marking “A World of Cookies for Santa: Follow Santa's Tasty Trip Around the World” as Want to Read:
A World of Cookies for Santa: Follow Santa's Tasty Trip Around the World

A World of Cookies for Santa: Follow Santa's Tasty Trip Around the World

A World of Cookies for Santa takes readers across the globe to see all the treats that await Santa on Christmas Eve. Head to the Philippines, where children leave out puto seko cookies and ginger tea for Santa; jet to Russia for a honey-spice cookie; then set out for Malawi for a sweet potato cookie! When you've returned home, the journey's still not over—M. E. Furman prov ...more
Published October 17th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Sheri
Children's Santa traditions from around the world, or more accurately, a mix of St. Nicholas, Father Christmas, and Santa traditions. Today we tend to use the names interchangeably and sort of lump them all together as one and the same. While some may say they are one and the same, others will say they are distinct and separate beings and occasions. From my admittedly limited knowledge, this book appears to have blended those traditions together. (The author's note at the end alludes to this as ...more
Pamela
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Culturally rich . . . and oh so festively delicious! A wonderful way to explore diverse Christmas traditions with young readers: through the world of cookies, sweets, and treats for Santa - and a few for his reindeer too. Complete with recipes! Plus a nice author's note and bibliography expounding on various country demographics and other fun facts.

FOUR **** Culturally Diverse Christmas Sweets, Treats, and Traditions for Young Reader's and their Families **** STARS
Cat
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So many cookies I have never tried or even heard of! There are some recipes included at the end of the book, but there's still time to go online and look up others just in time for the holidays! This is a great introduction to how the different cultures celebrate Christmas. I loved the illustrations! So warm and cozy! I think after I bake some of these treats, I'll have to go back and enjoy them with a cup of tea or hot chocolate and this book! Kids of all ages will enjoy this!
Lynn
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Focusing on the 'cookies' left for 'Santa' in 30 countries (and Bethlehem & Alaska) this allows readers to compare the treats, names for the gift giver, and a few other traditions that are woven in.
It seems there are as many different names of 'Santa' in each country as there are websites - a few I looked at don't agree with each other or with some of the names given in this book. I wonder what authoritative source the author used.
This book implies that these are Christian locations and giv
Margaret
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! When I was a teacher in a Christian Montessori school, every December we did a unit on "Christmas Around the World". I put up a world map on the bulletin board and every day we had a lesson on how Christmas was celebrated in a particular country. We had families and teachers from all over the world, so oftentimes they would do the lesson on their home country. If not, I would do research and do the days or countries that no one else could do. At the end of the lesson, we would ...more
Kendall
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It was neat to learn about the different Santa traditions of other countries. I am going to try out some of the cookie recipes!
Erica
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
What a great book to introduce the different traditions involving Christmas from around the world. I loved the interesting ways other countries and cultures celebrate this magical holiday.
Becky
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: All around the world, Christmas is a time of giving. While Santa Claus (also called Papai Noel, Father Christmas, Grandfather Frost, and more) packs his sleigh with gifts for children everywhere, they're preparing their own sweet gifts for him. Follow along on Santa's tasty trip around the globe, country by country and cookie by "cookie."

Premise/plot: This picture book introduces readers to thirty-two stops on Santa's journey around the world. There are definitely more countries
June Jacobs
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book seems perfect for a family read-aloud during the holidays! It contains excellent cultural information about Christmas customs and traditions in thirty different countries from around the globe plus Alaska and Hawaii.

The journey begins on Christmas Island--Kiritimati--and finishes up in Hawaii. There is a color world map on the inside front cover pages which shows the route Santa takes in his journey around the world on Christmas Eve. The blurb about each country includes information ab
Lisa
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a great idea! I would have totally eaten this up as a kid who loved to bake! love that it introduces kids to holidays customs around the world through cookies!
Stacey
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A children’s book that gives you a small sampling of how Christmas is celebrated around the world.
I found the illustrations delightful and the cookie recipes interesting.
Mary
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Always good to share traditions to build understanding. Recipes are good also.
Tina Eckenroth
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Covering a large number of countries in a picture book, this title would be a good addition for most public libraries who receive a lot of Christmas Around the World questions. It offers a strong jumping off point for most lower grades and the inclusion of the recipes is extremely helpful. Organizing the book as Santa would fly around the globe is a clever structure because it makes the similar traditions flow into one another (and it is a great Geography lesson).
Kelly
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
What is Santa called all across the world and what different cookies do children leave him? There are also some interesting beverages that he tries. Complete with recipes at the end of the book!
Maria Marshall
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
M.E. Furman and Susan Gal's collaboration has created a gorgeous story that will yield visual and edible treasures. This is one of those instances where every page captures your attention. The end pages, in particular, are both delightful and educational. The map on the front details Santa's journey across the globe. While the back combines a numbered map with a mixed up collection of cookies; creating a fun, visual cookie matching game.
Following Santa's trip around the globe, M.E. Furman briefl
Patricia Gmitrovic
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
See how other children celebrate the coming of Santa Claus and what they leave for Sants's treat
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Furman, M. E. A World of Cookies for Santa: Follow Santa’s Tasty Trip Around the World. PICTURE BOOK. Illustrated by Susan Gal. Houghton Mifflin, 2017. $17.

Join Santa at 32 of the different countries he visits on his yearly trip around the world. Furman gives his name, the most traditional cookie, and even the beverage that might be left for Santa. Furman also includes 9 recipes to try for your own international adventure.

I at first though that the book was too ambitious with info about so many
Brindi Michele
LOVE this picture book on the various Christmas traditions around the world. The maps and matching cookies on the endpages are fantastic (along with the illustrations throughout!!) and am happy a few recipes were included as well. Quite a neat book :)
Story Monsters Ink
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sure to become a treasured favorite during the holidays. Every page describes holiday cookie treats that children make for Santa all across the globe. Not only is this book packed with fascinating facts and beautifully written paragraphs that describe countries and their cookie making traditions, it tugs at readers’ heartstrings as they imagine these young children eagerly waiting for Santa as they carefully craft their Christmas cookies. I would love a sample of each recipe included in the back ...more
Denise Spicer
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
From Argentina to Ukraine, from Alaska to Russia, through 32countries, we are led on an interesting journey to see what treats people leave out for Santa. Colorful illustrations with lots of detail by Susan Gal add to the fun. Includes recipes for some (but sadly not all) of the treats and a colorful map on the endpapers so we can see Santa’s trail on Christmas Eve. Teachers, librarians, parents, grandparents, etc. -- this would be a great book for Storytime.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute book about all the different treats and traditions children do around the world for Santa. I really enjoyed learning about the different traditions and names for Santa.
Linda
Enter the world that’s different from ours in the U.S. and discover the beautiful traditions of Santa all over the earth, from the first entry, Christmas Island (Kiritimati) to Indonesia, countries in Asia and Europe, Africa and South America, ending in Hawaii. Many details lie colorfully on the gorgeous pages as the author tells of each tradition. For example, in Hawaii, children find Santa’s footprints in the sand “where he hopped off the surfboard pulled by a dolphin.” His name is “Kanakalok ...more
Kris Dersch
The illustrations make this one a standout...they are beautiful. Christmas around the world, from Christmas Island to Hawaii, with the traditions of Santa (or whatever name he goes by locally,) Christmas, and of course whatever treats are left for him in exchange for the loot he brings. An author's note in back gives some great additional details about the different days Christmas is celebrated on and some additional characters who bring it around the world. I wish there was a recipe for each tr ...more
Robb
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun Christmas picture book that focuses on cookies from around the world. Colorful pictures and short passages about the various countries makes the book informative and engaging. Students will get a glimpse of how other cultures prepare for Santa's visit on Christmas Eve. The author even included several cookie recipes mentioned throughout the book. All ages will enjoy reading the book. However, lower grades will have difficulty with some of the text. This book would make a great introduction t ...more
The Library Lady
Where are all the multiculturalists out there to note that the art is pretty stereotypical? Most Egyptian kids don't have a view of the Pyramids from their bedroom window and the kids all look alike, only the hair and skin colors changing.
Cute, but too many generalizations. And kids who still believe in the commercial American Santa Claus may find all these other Christmas gift givers to be a bit confusing.
A Allen
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is such a fun idea and I was excited to explore this book, even though my family does not "do" the Santa tradition. I thought it was interesting to hear about the different treats and drinks that are typical around the world. However, this book was very Christian focused and does not acknowledge religious diversity. It also seems that certain areas of the planet were underrepresented.
Courtney
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Ever since I watched Elmo's Christmas across the world video, I've been obsessed with all the different ways to celebrate. This book is fantastic for a little taste of each culture. I'd love to develop the book into an event for school-age children on winter break. I envision sweet treats in an exhibit type booth situation with activities, books and information about several countries.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A must have this holiday season! This book is lovely celebration of the Christmas season world wide. I even learned something from this book. It's an absolute treasure to read.

FULL REVIEW http://mundiekids.blogspot.com/2017/1...
Shelley
What a fun, beautiful, informative book; and the recipes look yummy. At my library, this sweet treasure will not be shelved away in the back with the other Christmas books to come out once a year. It's wonderful cultural resource for all year round.
Abraham Ray
Great Christmas cookie cookbook for children! Be sure to check out the recipes in the back of the book.