Start by marking “La Princesa and the Pea” as Want to Read:
La Princesa and the Pea

La Princesa and the Pea

The Princess and the Pea gets a fresh twist in this charming bilingual retelling.

El principe knows this girl is the one for him, but, as usual, his mother doesn't agree.
The queen has a secret test in mind to see if this girl is really a princesa.
But the prince might just have a sneaky plan, too . . .
Readers will be enchanted by this Latino twist on the classic story,
Published September 5th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about La Princesa and the Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Princesa and the Pea

Jillian Heise
Loved this author/illustrator team's first book, La Madre Goose, and I adore this new bilingual fractured fairy tale. Fun retelling with a twist, with Spanish words sprinkled throughout, told in rhyming verse. Martinez-Neal's illustrations are stunning and charming, and I appreciated her illustrator's note at the end about the inspiration for the style of the textiles from two specific indigenous groups in Peru!
Edie
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new twist on the well known story thanks to a determined and sneaky la príncipe . The illustrations inspired by the textiles of the indigenous peoples of Peru also add "heft" to this version. The colors are bright and rich, lots of deep reds in the cloths and on faces (sometimes with shyness and sometimes with strong feelings....see la r reina. There is a natural flow to the rhyme which adds to the attractiveness of this version and the spanish words liberally used throughout the telling are e ...more
Danielle
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful rhymes and wonderful illustrations.
Abigail
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Juana Martinez-Neal Fans / Readers Looking for Revisionist Fairy-Tale Retellings
Author Susan Middleton Elya and illustrator Juana Martinez-Neal, who also collaborated on La Madre Goose: Nursery Rhymes for Los Niños , join forces here to present a Spanish-infused Latino version of the classic Danish fairy-tale from Hans Christian Andersen, The Princess and the Pea . The rhyming text follows along as a queen plots against any prospective bride in which her son might become interested. When she gives the young woman who has caught the prince's eye a special test, he decides ...more
Tasha
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A Peruvian twist on the classic fairy tale of The Princess and the Pea, this picture book incorporates Spanish words into the story. El principe wanted a wife but his mother was very selective. When a maiden riding past caught the prince’s eye, his mother devised a sneaky test of a pea and a pile of mattresses. But this twist on the tale has one additional surprise for readers familiar with the tale: a prince with a mind of his own! The text of this book is simple and filled with touches of Span ...more
Jana
This Latin twist on The Princess and the Pea fairy tale is a real treat for readers! The rhyming text incorporates Spanish words into the story of a queen trying to find the best wife for her son. She sets up a tricky test to see if she truly has the makings of a princess, but readers will be delighted to see the queen isn’t the only trickster around. The warm, cultural illustrations really draw readers into the story and wraps us up in the beautifully designed textiles, which were inspired by t ...more
Ashley
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2018
2018 Pura Belpré Illustrator Award Winner

A South American take on the traditional 'princess and the pea' story. The story is charming, but the illustrations are a real stand out! From the rich textiles to the deep colors to the amazingly grumpy reina and her cat, every page is a pleasure to look at closely. I really enjoyed how Spanish was used throughout the story, and the subtle cultural changes.
Laura Harrison
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my top 5 favorite picture books of 2017. An incredible well written and creative re-telling. The illustrations are some of the most beautiful I have ever come across in a picture book. I recommend La Princesa and the Pea for story time and an wonderful addition to a fairytale collection.
Chance Lee
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
A bilingual re-imagination of a classic fairy tale, La Princesa and the Pea weaves English, Spanish, and Peruvian textiles into a memorable story.

The story is told in clean, effective rhymes that flow. The book incorporates a Spanish word in most verses, and -- usually -- the word's English meaning can be deciphered from the context of the other words and/or the accompanying illustrations. The book adds more and more Spanish as the story continues. If you're unsure of a word's English meaning o
Margie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In tales of fairy there is always magic. It presents itself in varying degrees. These signs of enchantment are woven so adeptly into the main narrative, captivating readers; we suspend belief and accept them as truth. Anything seems possible.

In most of these stories royalty figures prominently. The personalities of those in power can range from wise and knowing to downright evil. La Princesa and the Pea (G. P. Putnam's Sons, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC, September 5, 2017) written by S
Ricki
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
La Princesa and the Pea by Susan Middleton Elya is a bilingual retelling of The Princess and the Pea. There is a bit of a twist, and I laughed out loud as I read a section of the book. This book will bring great joy to kids. It does a great job of using Spanish words in ways that require children to consider context clues. Bonus: The illustrations are stunning! ...more
Mary Sanchez
What a fun twist to The Princess and the Pea illustrated through the perspective of Peruvian art and culture.

As always, the author has inclued Spanish words in rhyme and a Spanish glossary which also add much to this delightful tale. Elya's narrative poems are great models of short stories which include Spanish for all readers.

A fun book to revisit!
Shauna Yusko
Adored this one! And the artwork...wow!
GooseberryCompote
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So cute and so fun! So many guinea pigs.
Lindsey
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the bilingual storytelling and illustrations.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Elya, Susan Middleton. La Princesa and the Pea, illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal. G. P. Putnam Sons,2017. $16.99. Content: G. PICTURE BOOK.

Primarily in English, but with several Spanish words thrown in, the fairytale of the Princess and the Pea is retold. El Principe was lonely and wanted to get married, but his mother was very picky about princesses. One day, a beautiful maiden on the way to her castle asks to stay. The mother picks the smallest of peas and demands that several mattresses be
Stephanie Bange
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Time for a trip South of the Border...way down south to Peru for this retelling of the Princess and the Pea, with a slight twist.

In paired rhyming couplets, Elya relays this familiar tale of a young maiden riding her burro on her way to her castle. As she passes through another kingdom, a young prince spots her and decides this is the woman he wants to marry. His trusting mama puts her to the test: to see if she can sleep on a bed of twenty mattresses with a pea hidden under the very bottom one.
Margaret Boling
10/11/2017 ~ I read this aloud with a class of first grade bilingual students. So much fun. They were, however, far more interested in looking at the cat in each picture than in the story of the princess. As I did my reading this time, I noticed the guinea pig on each page. Thanks to reading Wedgie & Gizmo, I now know that guinea pigs are important to the Peruvian culture. It's amazing to me how we notice different details with each reading!

11/26/2017 ~~ I loved this variation on The Princes
Melanie
A classic tale is given a cultural twist in this retelling of "The Princess and the Pea." La Princesa visits un castillo with un príncipe who is looking for una esposa. The princes madre doesn't like the looks of her, so she sets up a test with veinte colchones y un guisante.

A glossary containing a plethora of Spanish words greets readers before the story begins. This is incredibly helpful for those not familiar with the language. Spanish words are presented in bold, red text.

The Spanish words w
Lisa
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This retelling of the Princess and the Pea is muy bueno! The story stays true to the familiar story - princess needs to stay the night, so queen tests to see if she’s a true princess with an unrealistic challenge (pea under 20 mattresses).

The twist with this story is that it’s also a spanish primer. Beginning with a glossary (nice touch, it gave the reader a heads up that there were Spanish words to look for) the simple poetic text replaced important english words with the Spanish - printed in
Sunday
2018 Pura Belpre Illustrator Award Winner. Engaging, rhyming text, perfect for reading aloud to young children. The illustrations are delightful. I was surprised by the ending -- because I didn't pay close enough attention to the story being told through the illustrations! That's the power of this book. The kind of book children will want to return to again and again - to read both the words and the illustrations.

Don't skip the illustrator's note at the end. Her description of how the textiles i
Margaux
Oh my goodness this was so cute. If you're like me and think this fairytale is stupid, look no further for a readable version! Not only does the story actually make sense, it's in verse and it's BILINGUAL. I love when picture books teach you a little something, and this one does just that. Along with the language itself, the illustrations tell their own story. At the end, I saw that the illustrator was inspired by indigenous peoples of Peru! You can see the way they carry their babies, the guine ...more
Stephanie Tournas
The classic fairy tale of the princess and the pea is retold here in rhyme, infused with Spanish words and a modern twist at the end. The warm, inviting acrylic and pencil illustrations show people, animals and textiles of Peru, giving the story a multicultural feel. A glossary with pronunciation guide at the beginning, and an endnote from the illustrator about the setting enrich the story. I especially like the brown-skinned prince's strategy to get around his bossy unibrowed Queen mother's tra ...more
emyrose8
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe because I just got back from Guatemala, but I fell in love with this book. The spanish, the illustrations, the potential comprehension questions to ask students... Which country do you think this takes place in? What clues in the illustrations make you think that?

My students are also learning a little bit of spanish vocab, so it will be fun to see how many words they recognize/can decode/remember.
I barely remember the Spanish I learned years ago, but I loved using context clues to figure out what the Spanish words thrown into this mostly English children's book mean. The rhymes helped!

Illustrations were cute, intricate, diverse, and I loved the illustrator's explanation of using Peruvian textiles at the end of the book.

And there is a twist at the end that makes this version of Princess and the Pea (I never really liked the original tale) different. And better!
Nicole
A clever rhyme with a sprinkling of Spanish words makes this a fun read aloud! Kids will laugh at the twist! Adults will appreciate the detailed representation of Peruvian culture, dress, and textiles. The artwork is enchanting and I appreciated the notes from the illustrator which added historical context and depth to this retelling.
Kelly
It's a nice version of the traditional story. It's a good thing there was a key in the front of the book with the Spanish to English words. I referenced it often, as there are many Spanish words. This makes reading the book take a little longer. Still, nice version.
Michele Knott
Really glad the decision was made to put the glossary in the front of the book. Read through it well because with this rhyming book, you'll want to know the Spanish words upfront so not to mess with the rhythm of the rhyme. Very fun retelling. And gorgeous illustrations.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Absolute gold! Caldecott contender for sure!

Incredible graphite and acrylic illustrations with style, humor and texture. The rhymes are fresh with the mix of Spanish and English. Truly the gem of 2017.
Another great twist on a classic fairytale. I love the gorgeous textiles with bright colors and patterns. I also love the twist of how the prince and princess got their way!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Dreamers
  • Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Rapunzel
  • The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet!
  • Little Red Hot