Start by marking “Risky Behavior (Bad Behavior, #1)” as Want to Read:
Risky Behavior (Bad Behavior, #1)

Risky Behavior

(Bad Behavior #1)

It's day one of Darren Corliss's career as a detective, and not only has he been assigned a notoriously difficult partner, but the guy might also be a pill-popping dirty cop. Internal Affairs needs proof, and Darren gets to be their eyes and ears whether he wants to or not.

Detective Andreas Ruffner doesn't play by the rules, and he doesn't play well with others. With bodie
Published May 1st 2017 by Riptide Publishing (first published April 29th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Risky Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risky Behavior

Shile
This is the story of Andreas the veteran detective and Darren the rookie.

description

I am a huge fan of detective series, this was Person of Interest meet Blue bloods wrapped up in 309 pages of pure reading goodness. I enjoyed the journey.

Andreas is my kind of MC i loved the shit out of him. Darren what a wonderful guy who wasn't afraid to speak his mind. These two fit perfectly.

The plot was amazing, i ate that shit up. The story focused more on the investigation part than the romance but that did not bot
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Tag Team Review with The Adam!

This is what I love about buddy reads-different perspectives. While I don't wholly disagree with Adam, I had a completely different experience.

Almost immediately I was hooked into the story, this case and these characters. As Adam mentioned, it is primarily a cop procedural which is my JAM! I love the lingo, the acronyms, the ribbing, the bullpen, everything. Truth, I grew up watching these shows, reading these books so I was in hog heaven. And this is a good case,
Simone
Risky Behavior

by L.A. Witt & Cari Z.

Starring:

Andreas Ruffner, a supposedly bad cop whose cultivated image of a lone wolf who can't keep a partner and whose more than dubios -and admittedly not always by the book, let alone illegal- methods attract ire and suspicion with Internal Affairs...

Darren Corliss , the good cop , the golden boy, a rookie and fresh promoted detective, whose first day on the job not only begins with reeling in a new, gruff and rather hostile partner
Nazanin
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, m-m
3.5 Stars

This story is about two detectives. One is detective for almost twenty years and the other one is in his early years of being detective. Andreas’s Captain is partnering him with Darren and Andreas isn’t happy about it. He just likes to work alone because of his unorthodox ways to acquire information and arrests. And he knows Darren is for keeping an eye on him (spying on him). So the story started with a hate/dislike of both characters toward each other. But their hatred disappeared so
Fabi
This one grabbed my attention and didn't let it go until the last word on the last page.

It seems like I've been landing on a lot of police procedurals lately. While I never considered it one of my favorite genres, I sure have been enjoying these new ones.

Although I consider myself a romance reader, the truth is that I prefer romance in my stories as oppossed to stories about romance. That's not a tomato 🍅 vs. tomatoe comparison. There's a difference.

This edge of your seat mystery was hard to fig
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Nice, interesting beginning*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

This book has quite some potential. However, I can't help but to compare each and every cop/agent book to Ty (specially him) and Zane from Cut & Run series... This is not good of course, because I haven't loved a character as much as I love Ty before, so no one comes close to him. Overall this book was interesting, a good start for a series, and I'm quite curious as to what's to come for ‘newly minted detective’ Darren Corliss (28) and ‘lone w
Sheri
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book but not such a great romance book. Though I very much enjoyed the slow dance between the two partners, it’s not the focus of spotlight. The heart of the story revolves around an investigation. A case in which two police officers are thrown into the heat of the fire. Burn or get burned. If you need romance to fill the pages, you won’t find that here. Instead, you’ll piece together the clues and look for impossible answers. I thought it was superbly done.

Andreas is a veteran p
Erth
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gotta admit, I love crime MMs. There's just something about hot detectives going against the bad guys and then writhing out their frustrations on each other. LA Witt checked all the boxes with Risky Behavior. Hot, growly detective. Sweet-faced "rookie." Yeah, you know what I'm talkin' about. However, unlike many in this genre, this book was more than just random plot to fill in between the hot sex. The mystery was gritty and intriguing. Three characters were well-drawn and interesting. Witt even ...more
Karen
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and this one was closer to 5 than 4.5 so rounding down seemed wrong.

Start with a little murder, add some mayhem & mystery and stir in some heat...

it'll all make for some 'Risky Behavior and one hella' good read.

Andreas is a cop, a police detective...he just doesn't always play by the rules because sometimes the rules just get in the way of a good man doing his job. Andreas also works alone, he can't afford to trust a partner.
Martin
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was a pretty intense story!

Detective Andreas Ruffner is out to bust a huge drug ring that reaches high up into the city administration. The only problem is, Ruffner is an asshole who cannot hold a partner longer than a couple of weeks before sending them running.

Newly promoted Detective Darren Corliss is his next 'babysitter' - assigned not only to be Ruffner's partner, but also to spy on him on behalf of Internal Affairs. Ruffner is said to be a shady cop who might somehow be entangled in
Renée
Feb 28, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf, mm-romance
DNF'd at 35%. WAY too much police procedure and time spent on the case, and not enough character and relationship development. And I really wasn't warming up to the MCs.
Lyn
Audio - Michael Ferraiuolo is a 5 star narrator but the audio gets 4 stars because the story is in first person narrative with dual pov. I need two narrators.

Story 4 stars. Okay, so Andreas and Darren's relationship development didn't fall in the OTT category, but still I would have liked the tension between them to have lasted a bit longer.
Ami

FINALLY!! After a string of mediocre reading experience, or books that I couldn't completely loved, Risky Behavior came to the rescue. I was gambling a little bit with this, mainly because L.A. Witt is a hit-or-miss author for me, even if I generally love Cari Z's works. So I don't know how this partnership will be.

In addition I am also always a bit weary with mystery-suspense-police procedural romance. When it comes to mystery romance, I actually put the emphasis on MYSTERY rather
Kazza
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really, really, really liked this book - the MCs, the action, the plot development. The case Ruffner and Corliss work in book #1 has real teeth and depth. This is first rate (co) writing. It's totally seamless. Thoroughly entertaining.

... and I sort of felt like I was working less with a detective, and more with an undercover superhero or something. The dark, gritty, complete asshole kind of superhero.

I started out unsure how I felt about both characters but within a few chapters they cli
Adam
Tag team review with Cupcake!

For the first half of the book, I wasn’t really feeling it. But once the story picked up, I ended up quite liking ‘Risky Behavior.’

Darren Corliss is the typical boy next door - he plays by the rules, and tries not to rock the boat. It takes a while to get a read on him, but it’s obvious from the beginning that he’s got heart.

Andreas Ruffner is Darren’s complete opposite. He’s bombastic and delights in ruffling feathers. I wasn’t a fan of his unorthodox ways, but I ca
L.A. Witt
Jan 26, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Available May 2017.
Melanie A.
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo, m-m, lgbtq
4 STARS!!

Gah! I seriously considered giving this one a big fat 5 stars, because the writing was amazing, the characters were deep, and the romance was swoon-worthy. Too bad SO much of the plot was taken up by the case these two detectives were working on. Not that the case wasn't interesting, it just wasn't what I wanted to read about.

But holy crap, these two main characters were AMAZING. Veteran detective Andreas Ruffner is much more concerned with getting results than following procedures..
CrabbyPatty
"Risky Behavior" is a crime procedural with a M/M romance element. Newly-minted Detective Darren Corliss is partnered with Detective Andreas Ruffner, widely believed to be a dirty cop with a drug problem, and IA is leaning on Darren to report any suspicions to them. Not exactly the best way to start a new partnership with someone who should have your back ...

But eventually Darren earns Ruffner's trust and what he learns makes him rethink everything he's been told about Ruffner - both professiona
Christelle
**3.5 stars** rounded up to 4 because I really enjoyed it and I feel it’s going to get even better.

Damned : another series I’m going through. But it’s LA Witt (yes, I’m a fan) and Cari Z (less fan tbh). And it’s almost fully released. And It’s a gift from my great buddy, Spymama. I couldn’t not dig in. And oh boy, it’s right up my alley as I’m going through a romantic suspense phase.

So, we get the story of Andreas and Darren, two detectives.
Andreas, in his forties, divorced with 4 kids, is the
Chris
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-crime, lgbtq
I really enjoyed this book and hope it's the start of a great series. This was a well planned cop / crime book - heavy on crime and low on heat but in saying that there was enough to feel the chemistry developing between Darren & Andreas. Darren was the fresh faced new detective working with the gruff " I don't want no partner" Andreas. Trust was a big issue and Andreas really was the pariah in the precinct. Darren decided to trust his instincts rather than gossip and learned more about Andr ...more
Natalie
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rereading for second book. As much as I enjoyed it at the time, it was a bad week and too many details are forgotten. Still awesome!

5/2/17 I am in seventh heaven! This had all of my book-drugs-of-choice; police procedural, complicated case, lone-wolf cop on a mission, action scenes and reluctant partners to lovers. Romance purists may not care for it as much, as the romance does take a back seat to the complicated case that Darren and Andreas are pursuing. I just loved it though, as L.A. Witt an
Alisa

I was a bit nervous going into this one because while I really enjoy Cari Z's books, Witt is very hit or miss for me (more misses if I'm being honest) so I wasn't sure what to expect. This ended up being an enjoyable start to this series.

I would classify this as being a romantic suspense (& I'm super excited to see these popping up in the m/m world). The story is focused more on the police case with the readers getting to know the two MC's as they get to know each other. The men hav
haletostilinski
Yay! What a solid start to this series -- I am thoroughly impressed!

description

I think I agree with other reviews of this I've seen so far that this is more detective/mystery/crime story than romance. But only because we barely scratch the surface with Andreas and Darren's relationship. The main plot of the book takes place around 2 weeks, and ends with only a month having passed since they met. I think they're clearly very into each other by the end - and it does end on a happy note, so it's definitely a
Melissa
1-22-18: Currently on SALE for .99cents on Amazon US (not sure about other locations).

9-28-17 Review:
This was pretty good. While elements of the story were pretty unrealistic, I kind of brushed them aside because the story itself was quite entertaining. I decided to read this story when I noticed the 2nd book in the series had come out and I thought this would be a good time to decide if I had yet another series I needed to keep track of.

I won't be running out
Jay
4.5 stars – Risky Behavior is the first novel in L.A. Witt and Cari Z.’s serial-type detective series. Like other such series, or like television series of the same style, the focus is heavy on the police-procedural aspect with a complete story in each volume (at least the first one is this way, so I assume the rest will follow the pattern) while the romantic arc will proceed in small bits over the course of the entire series. While there were still plenty of unanswered questions about the backg ...more
Lila Hunter
Rating: 4.25 stars

My View: Risky Behavior is a police procedural thriller with a dosage of romance. Everything unfolds slowly until the very end, including Darren's and Andreas's relationship.  You have to pay attention to all the clues, and even so, you'd get surprised.

I enjoyed how all the characters--good & bad--are interrelated, not only with the investigation but with the main characters itself.  The pacing keeps the reader entertain, curious, and Andreas's vulnerability is a nice rewar
Vanna
4 stars! Really liked this action thriller about drugs, crime and murders. In fact I was so immersed in the plot that the slow burning steam between the two MCs didn't matter. Darren is a rookie detective whereas Andreas is a veteran who is fighting off some damaging rumors about his credibility. Obviously Andreas has trust issues and does not want a new partner, but once they start working together they find common purpose to solve the case. Danger follows them everywhere and they don't know wh ...more
Fani *loves angst*

I really liked the first half where Andreas and Darren slowly circled one another, trying to see if the attraction was mutual and if they could trust each other. After that though it was 99% mystery/suspense and 1% romance, which might be fine for other readers but it was not what I was looking for; I totally skimmed the last part where they tried to frame the bad guys.

Verdict: Well written, likable heroes, but not enough romance.
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I loved these guys.
Yes Andreas could be an ass. I have a soft spot for assholes. I happen to be married to one. He's also the sweetest man alive, who makes me feel beautiful and loved. I know asshole and sweetheart don't normally sound like they go together, but when they combine, they are an awesome combination.

I fell for Andreas right off the bat. Darren was able to stand up to him, and call him on his BS. I loved them together. I'm so glad the series continues with the same MC's. I look forwa
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Long Shadows (Common Law, #1)
  • Bitter Legacy
  • Love is Heartless (Love Can't Series, #2)
  • The Best Corpse for the Job (Lindenshaw Mysteries, #1)
  • Hush
  • Red Fish, Dead Fish (Fish Out of Water, #2)
  • Back to You
  • The Merchant of Death (Playing the Fool, #2)
  • Snakes Among Sweet Flowers
  • Home the Hard Way
  • Fair Chance (All's Fair, #3)
  • Splintered  (Splintered #1)
  • With This Bling (Romano and Albright, #3)
  • Inferno
  • It's Witchcraft (Criminal Intentions, Season One, #5)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is al ...more

Bad Behavior (4 books)
  • Suspicious Behavior (Bad Behavior, #2)
  • Reckless Behavior (Bad Behavior, #3)
  • Romantic Behavior (Bad Behavior, #4)