Start by marking “Dark and Deadly Things (Dark Things #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark and Deadly Things (Dark Things #1)

Dark and Deadly Things

(Dark Things #1)

It is a strange feeling in life to watch your ghost hunter of a father live on TV while eating popcorn next to your dead mother.

That’s not entirely true. It is a strange feeling to be sure and my mother is most assuredly dead. But she isn’t next to me. She’s across the room, standing between the old mahogany grandfather clock that needs to be dusted and the old cabinet tel
Published January 29th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Dark and Deadly Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark and Deadly Things

Start your review of Dark and Deadly Things (Dark Things #1)
SWEETY
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super creepy and addictive.
I’m definitely not getting any sleep tonight.

My go to genre is always romance. Believe me I wouldn’t have started this series if I hadn’t already cheated, by going through some reviews of the last book, and thereby confirming the fact that I would have my romance.

So, why if I scare so easy am I putting myself through this entire ordeal?
Well, I wasn’t expecting it.
I’ve read a few books, that qualify as horror on goodreads and I’ve never actually felt scared.
Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Good and super creepy!

Dark and Deadly Things by Kelly Martin takes the reader on a creepy ride with a gal that can see ghosts and a guy that can sense of feel them near. An unlikely pair that date brings together. The story is full of suspense, selected of all kinds, and lots of thrills! Can't wait to read the next book!
Teresa
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me say, this was a good book. I was looking forward to answers to all the questions.
There are some typos, and some words used incorrectly and a few editing errors, but not enough to interfere.

Brakes, not breaks
Especially not specifically, things like that.

The main character, Elise, raises many.
“ I have an idea what it is, but cant tell him that.”
But no questions are answered, not one.
And it ends on
“i dont know what se was, but I have my theories. I hope to God I’m wrong”

I dont mind clif
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/26/2020)! 🎁
Tina
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creepy
I loved the whole concept of this book. I've been a huge fan of ghost hunter programs and to have this subject in a book got my attention immediately. To say I was excited is an understatement.

Dark and Deadly Things really started out with a bang, Author Kelly Martin successfully turned up the creepy factor that even raised the hair on my arms and had my heart pounding.

I raced through this book and when i reached the end I was begging for more. Thank goodness book 2 comes out this month! It's a
Tricia
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

This was an interesting read. It was like watching an episode of Ghost Hunters, but with heart. I honestly feel like human, and non-human, emotion was the star of this tale. I expected a little more of the creepy factor here, but I think that Elise's sarcasm and semi-dark humor, along with her begrudging kind of acceptance and normalization of the fact that she saw ghosts, helped make it seem less shocking that you were consistently seeing things not of this world. Truth be told, I did
Barb
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elise was born the ability to see ghosts, Her dad is a ghost hunter
Darlene
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC copy and could not wait to devour it after having already fallen for the Heartless series. If you're a fan of that series, then you must read Dark and Deadly Things.

"A soul is a soul, whether living or dead."

The entirety of this story is understood in just that one simple line, among so many other notable lines that really had my head reeling, thinking, wow! That's profound!

Right from the very first sentence I was hooked; Kelly has done it again. She has created a very believ
Amanda
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, tw-cw
Real rating: 3.5⭐︎

TW/CW: referenced incest, child molestation, pedophilia

OK.

So.

Where to start?

This story could have been creepier than what it was... Elise should not be telling this story. Because she is so juvenile, self-absorbed, and negative/surly, the spooky elements loose most of their teeth. Simply because Elise isn't paying attention to them. She is constantly navel-gazing.

C O N S T A N T L Y.

We know she's going to encounter a spook? We know the build up should be happening? Along c
Kathleen
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a surprisingly fun read. I really like the sarcasm of the main character and I the back story of the characters was a different approach than I had ever read before. The author does use some typical ghost tropes but it reads so quickly that you don’t mind. I am continuing on with the series as one of my next reads.
Teresa Barrera
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This book brings the ghostly creepy atmosphere in a read.
Not sure if it's just a slump I'm in or that my busy days have been distracting me, but couldn't get into this book like I wanted to. I plan on rereading this later and giving it another try.
Eliza
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
MEH- I thought it had potential, but it wasn't scary enough and it seemed to be YA, which I cannot get into.
Louisa
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because somethings that go bump in the night can kill you

Omg just when you thought Kelly Martin's imagination couldn't create anything better than the heartless series she proves you wrong.
Elise was born the ability to see ghosts which when you work on a ghost hunting show can be an advantaged. When her mother is murdered she leaves the show but sadly not the ghost behind. Her father though no longer believes and has taken to faking evidence but when a live episode of the show goes horribly wron
Leslie M.
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elise is not like every other girl her age. Elise can see ghosts. Her father is a ghost hunter on television. One night while watching a live broadcast of him at work, Elise witnesses something unexpected. A family member from the potentially haunted house where her father was filming tracks Elise down to help him understand what exactly happened at his house. What dark and deadly things will be uncovered along the way?

I have read many books by Kelly Martin, and I have yet to be disappointed. He
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I will start by saying that I read this in one sitting. Within the first few minutes of starting to read this book, I knew that I would not be going to bed until I finished reading it.

This pulse pounding, back of the neck hair raising story quickly pulled me in and kept me ensnared until the very end. The plot is well developed and the characters are strong.

This author's creative web is spellbinding and intoxicating and man, did this book give me the creeps. This supernatural read will captiva
Kerry
Nov 04, 2019 added it
This book ends in a cliffhanger. Know that up front.

It is told from the perspective of Elise. She has a begrudging acceptance that she sees ghosts. Has since childhood. Yet her parents, both Ghosthunters, inexplicably never believed this about her. One Halloween night, while watching her father's live cast of Dark and Deadly with her recently deceased mom, she witnesses a dark mass that attacks the Hale family.

In an improbable turn of events, Elise teams up with the only survivor of the Hale fam
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
If you enjoy ghost stories, and shows like Paranormal Lockdown and Ghost Adventures, you are sure to love this series from Kelly Martin. Book 1, Dark & Deadly Things is a spine-tingling page turner. A definite “read it with the lights on” book. ...more
Jason Helms
Warning: Cliffhanger Ahead

After reading several self-published books recently that were totally not ready yet for their time in the sun I was desperate for something/someone who would shine a little light on my field of newly discovered writers. Kelly Martin and her? his? book, Dark and Deadly Things came so close to achieving that.
I received this story free. More often than not when I do that I end up getting exactly what I paid for. In this case I got a very well written story about a young wo
Rebecca
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, e-books, favorites
I’m going to do a review of the series as a whole and just repeat it for each volume, for a couple of reasons. 1) Much more many series, all of these books really function together as a unit, each one ending as a cliffhanger. Although I think they could stand alone, they really make more sense taken together. 2) I read through them all in a row and so quickly that they’re all one book in my mind and I don’t know how I would break the reviews out, especially without major spoilers.

So, these books
Doris
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do not read this book in the dark... or alone!

Dark and Deadly Things is the name of Elise's family business. They all together and in parts, ran a ghost hunting business called Dark and Deadly Things.

Without major spoilers, the book starts with Elise watching her father and crew investigate the Hale home. The Hale family are divided with believing that there is a ghost in the home, so they allowed the show to come in and see what was really going on.

Things are never as they seem, and there is
Ashley Poteet
I've never read a ghost story before. I've read a ton of paranormal romance, but mainly with vampires and reapers and witches etc etc. This was a first and I absolutely loved it! It kept me on the edge of my seat and creeped the he'll out of me lol! Who doesn't love a good ghost story!
We have Elise, she is a normal girl, well except for being able to see ghosts lol. She witnessed something terrible her dad's paranormal show Dark and Deadly things. She tried to call and warn him but it was to lat
Alec
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm realizing I might not like ghost stories as much as I thought I did. Or maybe I need them to have some twist to the typical types of ghosts and ghost hunters/people who can see those ghosts type of books. And this book was pretty much that same old straightforward story, so I ended up not caring for it.
It was very short, which I kind of liked, since otherwise I maybe wouldn't have been able to finish it. But at the same time I think that had the book been longer and the story and its charact
Kaila
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was truly amazing... omg some of the creep factor in this story wow'd me.. I don't get goosebumps often from thrillers (I get them in romance from the awww lol) but this one gave me some several times.. it was amazing. Elise is... wow... she wants to just be normal.. and loved.. for herself nothing more nothing less.. and Abel is a whole lot of confusing.. sadness and sexy rolled into one. They are thrown together and have to go from there. It is wonderful.. I am now on book 2 because I can ...more
Anne
Well apparently I enjoyed some of the things other reviewers didn’t, like Elise’s sarcasm and attitude. She’s 21, I think she acted like it. I liked the story and thought Elise was an interesting narrator even when she did illogical things. I thought the story was well written and yes, there are some editing errors but not as many as a large number of things on kindle these days. It was a fast read, and though a lot was unresolved it had to be to set up the series. I’ll give the second book a go ...more
library goddess
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I’m a fan of those TV ghost shows on the Travel channel so this book was right up my alley. Elise was a tv ghost hunter with her father but left the series when she realized that her father and partner was faking the evidence. Elise can actually see ghosts....her father cannot. When a catastrophe happens on live TV and results in the death of 3 family members, Elise must deal with her father being charged with murder.
Of course, there is a cliffhanger and there are more scares to come in the fut
Miki Lacombe Trahan
Interesting, good banter, creative world

The grammer errors are bad, but not so much that I didn’t enjoy the story. She definitely has chemistry between the two main characters with banter and tension. Elise’s inner thoughts are funny and witty. The story was interesting enough to keep me reading and download the second book. Is it scary? No, but it’s got action and the ghosts are described in a way that you want to know the backstory on all of them.
Luann
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in bold first person present tense, this was a very fun read but, darn you Kelly Martin, the first book was free. Like any great drug, it sets you up so that you HAVE to buy the second (and likely the third and on and on... the author as pusher!) From the first line on, the book moves fast, has an engaging pair of protagonists and edge of seat scary fun. Thumbs up summer read.
Andrea Thomas
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner

I couldn't put this book down. Realizing that it's the first in a series, im eager to sink my teeth into more. So many questions needing answered. What is the black thing? Who killed Abels family? Why can't Elise hear her mom and what does her mom know? Answers! I need answers.
E. S. Charree
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really Good Story

This is the first book by Ms. Martin I've read and I loved it! The main character, Elise, is my kind of character, snarky, self-aware and funny. The story has all the main attributes necessary for a good read, mystery, great characters and a bit of humor with a satisfying ending. Thank you Ms. Martin and keep them coming!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Twisted (Lights Out #1)
  • The Crowlands
  • Mask of Silence (Mask of Silence #1)
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • The Dark Man  (The Graveyard: Classified Paranormal Series Book 1)
  • Pretty Killer
  • On the Lips of Children
  • The Horror at Criven Farm
  • The Haunting of Hathaway House
  • The Haunting of The Holloway Family (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Series Book 8)
  • The Seance in Apartment 10
  • Run Away Baby
  • Haunted Hideout
  • Ghost Song
  • The City
  • The Ghost of Old Coal House
  • The Room Upstairs
  • Baba Lenka: Pure Occult Horror
Kelly Martin lives in a possibly haunted house in a small southern town. While she'd like to say paranormal things have only happened to her at her home, it would be a lie...

She is an international #1 best selling author in horror, paranormal, contemporary, historical, young adult, and mysteries. All of Kelly's books have one thing in common-- imagine the real world is tilted slightly on its side

Dark Things (5 books)
  • Dark and Devious Things (Dark Things #2)
  • Dark and Dreadful Things (Dark Things #3)
  • Dark and Desperate Things (Dark Things #4)
  • Dark and Dangerous Things (Dark Things #5)

News & Interviews