Start by marking “Safe and Sound (Promise Me #1)” as Want to Read:
Safe and Sound (Promise Me #1)

Safe and Sound (Promise Me #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
16 year-old, Hailey Perish, knows her life can’t get much worse. Since her dad split a few years ago, Hailey’s mother has spiraled hard and fast, careening toward rock bottom and threatening to take her daughter down with her. Hailey now marks time by evictions, her mother’s poker games, and Saturday School where she voluntarily shows up for weekend detentions to secure he ...more
Published February 22nd 2017 by Elephantine Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Safe and Sound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe and Sound

Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received an eGalley of this book in exchange for an honest review. And so that Alli could stalk my Goodreads updates.

This book does come with a content warning. It's not the darkest book, but it does have a few scenes that depict human trafficking and sexual abuse.

Writing: This book is great! Every scene felt important and the characters were so real. I was on the edge of my seat, even after the big major stuff happened.

Location: I liked that the story started in a small town. It
BooksByDano
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
4 stars

Safe and Sound is the opposite of what is going in Hailey's life. Since her father left 6 years ago everything has been spirialling down until she finally hits rock bottom and there is only one person left who she can call to help her.

Carson has his own secrets. He is a football player who has started getting into fights off the field. Even though Carson has a girlfriend he is in love with a girl who doesn't know he exists any more.

I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. Th
Bookish Michelle
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I receive a review copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Hailey's life went downhill when her father left their family 6 years ago and matters got worse with her mother's drug and gambling addiction. One day, her mother did the unthinkable and Hailey had no choice but to run and she desperately needed help.

Safe & Sound is an enjoyable book which I finished reading within 2 days. Although there are dark themes like rape and drugs in this book which would made me cringe wheneve
Stephanie Ward
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
'Safe & Sound' is a gritty look into the lives we try to hide from others and even ourselves. It's about love and all of its forms, of surviving the worst life can throw at you, and the inner strength we're capable of. This isn't my usual type of novel - especially due to the sexual abuse issues. I definitely suggest readers heed the warning before beginning this book as some of the content is jarring and disturbing.

The story is written from two different perspectives - that of our main char
Mary
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alli Hope’s debut, Safe and Sound, is the epitome of an exceptional YA novel. This novel is full of twists and turns that keep the reader on their toes while anxiously turning page after page as they devour this novel easily within one sitting. The author created characters the reader cares about and sets it in a world that leaves the reader thinking, “Wow, this could really happen to someone I know.” The story is gritty and raw, as are the emotions associated the characters in this beautifully ...more
Kelly Mccurdy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
~~I received this in exchange for my honest opinion~~

There are so many words that I want to put into this review, but alas if I did that, I'd give away the whole book. What I can tell you is that you will have all the feels. I am going to tell you right now that there are situations in this book that are for adults. There are scary situations and situations that make a 16 year old grow up super quick. I gave this book 5 stars becuse the writing is amazing. I dont know how Alli wrote this book an
Nicole Holt
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow!!! Incredible story!! I voluntarily agreed to read this book for my honest review and holy crap it was amazing! Everything 16 year Hailey goes through at such a young age is just unbelievable! And to have to do it alone, though its understandable how she doesn't want to confide in anybody about her port excuse of a life. Its just sad that she only had herself to rely on. Until Carson comes back in to her life then things change. This story is so captivating you won't want to put th ...more
LeighAnn Kopans
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking story with beautiful writing.

Hailey's character faces challenges (and that's putting it very mildly) that most of us don't even want to imagine a sixteen-year-old facing. That doesn't mean their stories don't need to be told. Her relationship with Carson is sweet and safe in a world that is very dangerous for them both.

Be sure to read all the way through Alli's end notes. She has put her whole heart into doing right by this story, and it shows.
Julie
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-debuts
I read an early version of this a couple years ago and it was amazing. So while I haven't read it in its final state, I know it'll be even better.
Ailyn
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Safe and Sound is a total irony of Hailey Perish's life, she is in a problem spot, and no hope. Her dad bailed on the family, while her mother escaped into drugs, no one else is looking after the sixteen year old. Trouble starts when her mom losses a bet, where she was the stake. Now Hailey has to figure out what to do with herself, before things get worse than they are.

This story is dark, border lining the YA genre with its background story. While author tries to make light of things with roma
Curtis
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fast reader: it can take me months or even years to finish a book. But you could almost say I devoured this one.

From the calmest to the most exciting (or disgusting) chapters, I wanted to keep going. And I'm glad I did.

(Full Disclosure: Alli and I are good friends and fellow Slytherins. But this truly is a great book! Check it out!)
Rebecca
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even if I weren't friends with Alli I would still be giving this book 5 stars.

The characters are well developed. The story never lagged. I was enthralled and traumatized. I even took a break to tell her that I did not like her for the next 5 seconds due to the distress her story was causing me. This is a very gripping book that refuses to let the reader go.

Extremely well done!
Raewynn
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had not heard of or read any books by Alli Hope before and, despite having 6 books on my to read list, I decided to give Safe & Sound a try.

This is not the sort of story line that I usually read and the cover looks a bit scary for my tastes but, once I picked it up, yesterday, I just couldn't put it down!

You hear about this sort of thing happening and you just never think that it can happen to you, well, Hails sure finds out that not only can it happen....it does!

I loved the writing style
Heavenly
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I have really enjoyed this story. It's full of emotions and enough mystery to pull the reader straight away. It's definitely a book that can be finished within one sitting.

In here we meet Hailey whose life is nothing like the title. After her dad's death it was getting worse and worse. Until she hit the bottom and she knew there is only one person who can help her.

Carson. A football player who has his own secret. But even
Wendy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about Alli Hope's Safe & Sound, it was through author Heather Hildenbrand, an author I strongly admire and who's work I adore. Safe & Sound stood out to me for it's powerful and unique premise, one I positively could not wait to explore. I couldn't wait to see if everything would work out for the heroine and if her mother's misdeed would catch up with her, or if her childhood crush would find a way to keep her away from it all.

I devoured Safe & Sound in one solid s
Kasia Burlakoff
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: september-2017
This book had me reading in stunned, frozen silence. The graphic reality of the society's underbelly was sickening, but very realistic. Monsters disguised as humans were especially frightening, no conscience, just money and power. The warning was fully justified, but the graphic scenes were necessary to include it in order to fully present the victims plight. Very intense. The ray of hope was Carson and Hailey's relationship, which was strengthening through their journey. Some scenes between the ...more
Smash
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Hails,” I insist, “you don’t owe me anything. It wasn’t a loan, and love isn’t a debt you have to pay back.”

Amen, Carson.

Alli, your writing is lovely! I was really impressed by your characters, as well. You went deep, and while it was painful to watch, the beauty is what stays with you. I gasped and cried and smiled and sighed right along with Hails Bells and Beats. ❤ I mean, I truly love those 2!

This book was packed full of ugly situations that most people don't want to address. Bringing top
John Clark
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the faint of heart, but pretty gripping and a story that will feel too close to home for some teens. It features two gutsy teens and a mother who belongs in the top ten worst literary mothers ever. While the language and some subject matter might make some libraries shy away, I feel it's a good one for most public and some school libraries to consider because it looks at a subject that's real, but all too often gets swept under the rug.
Courtney
I didn't absolutely adore this book, I found the choices of the characters to be frustrating at times and often wanted to chuck my Nook because of it. However, the story was raw and gritty and when they weren't making terrible choices, Hailey and Carson were a pretty good team.

By the way, I love the cover of this book. It's the reason I was initially drawn to this book.
Amanda
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book was a bit too boring for me and I didn’t emotionally connect with the characters at all. This book also says it contains mature content but I think there should be a little bit more of a warning that it contains detailed sexual abuse. I was not expecting that at all.
Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers)
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I must admit it was the cover that drew me in to start, it just grabbed my attention straight away and made me read the blurb to see what the story was about.

From the first page I was drawn in. I found that this book had it's intense & happy moments and definitely brought out the emotions. We get to hear from both of the main characters, Hailey & Will. I just adored them so much, especially Hailey.

I think Alli Hope did an amazing job and I look forward to reading more of her work.

Would I
« previous 1 3 next »

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • This Is Where It Ends
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin