Start by marking “Lurk” as Want to Read:
Lurk

Lurk

This is an alternate Cover Edition for ISBN10: 1539805328 / ISBN13: 9781539805328.

Some secrets should stay buried...

College student Drew Brady never wanted the power to spy on his friends. But late one night, he finds a box of old Polaroids buried under his house that can change to show him whatever he desires, and Drew finds himself with the power to watch the people arou
Published October 28th 2016 by Lilydog Books (first published March 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lurk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lurk

Start your review of Lurk
RedemptionDenied
Aug 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
Update: 25/08/17. The Kindle edition is currently gratis in the States and the UK!
Bill
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn. There was all kinds of crazy going on in this one. Drew and his friends have uncovered a mystery contained in some old polaroid’s. The pictures not only give Drew a peek into the personal lives of his friends, but also contain secrets from the past that are bleeding into the present.

…Or maybe it could just be the drugs and booze.

I was surprised how much I liked this one. It was a fast and enjoyable read with a cast of largely unlikable characters, especially the main protagonist Drew who
Bandit
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Every so often things just work out like this. I was in a mood for something scary and this book showed up in my email as a kindle freebie for the day. Never heard of the author, didn't think I'd be all that into a story featuring a bunch of college students partying themselves out of their minds, but lo and behold...this was kinda awesome. Classy cover, well edited with the minor exception of the fact that despite what most Americans erroneously believe Columbia is only the acceptable spelling ...more
Adam Light
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise. An enjoyable horror romp with some twists and turns that made it a fun read.
Sraah
ok
this is another one of those books that i just
don’t know how to rate it
i honestly don’t think i’ve ever hated, liked, loved, hated, liked again as much as i did with this one
this book was so fked up
i hated the characters so much, especially the main character but i know it was done on purpose
and the author did a superb job!!! these were very stereotypical characters but i understood it
it made me think a ton of cabin in the woods
same exact thing there
i also felt insidious vibes because i remem
Hannah Cecylia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that likes horror
Lurk is a book that frightens you as you read, not only because of the author's expertise with the English language, but because you see yourself in every character. In Drew, the socially awkward stalker who cannot separate his own failure to relate to people his own age with his self-hatred and depression. With Bea, the beautiful and confident woman who cannot see outside her own small world. With Jay, who just wants to be a good friend and have a good time.

Adam Vine's book gives you an insight
Denis Pedersen
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What a pleasant suprise!
I picked this up with absolutely zero expectations, and was treated to a nice little thriller/horror-story.
The picture this story paints of the millenium-generation-teens is very bleak, and perhaps too much so, but nevertheless the action of the characters are believeable and the inner struggles of the narrator are described in a way the reader can relate to (even though the narrator is a giant douchebag).
I will look after Adam Vine's future releases :)
Carly
May 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Spencer
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully strange book that slowly unfolds as you progress, there’s a lot going on here and Adam Vine manages to bring it all together with some impressive writing.
I really enjoyed this; it’s contemporary and inventive with a plot which keeps you guessing throughout and a good mix of characters. I’ll be keeping an eye out for more of Adam’s work in the future.
Elise
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hated how it was written, the slang, the characters and how manic depressively it was written. The only reason for 2 instead of 1 star is that the idea behind it was different.
Gatorman
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one based on a recommendation from a GR friend (thanks Bandit!) and would not likely have picked it up otherwise. I was not disappointed. It was surprisingly well-written, telling the story of a bunch of college kids living and partying in a off-campus house that has a secret spooky history which gets slowly revealed through the discovery of some old photographs in the basement. The characters were more developed than you would normally expect from a book like this and the story move ...more
Wiseask
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
The only thing worse than a comedy that isn’t funny ... is a horror story that isn't scary. At least that's what I used to think before Adam Vine proved me wrong in his novel Lurk. Thanks to Mr. Vine, there is one thing even worse than a horror story that isn't scary, and that's to write a boring, incoherent horror story that isn't scary. Mr. Vine has mastered that feat to perfection.
Bridget B
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nah -- for a lot of reasons.
Kay
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most unbelievable part of this story is the fantastic party house on a cliff overlooking the ocean near Santa Cruz that even a group of college kids could afford to rent. It's a great setting, and it turns out there are reasons why this is a rental house at such a great rate. This story, which starts with the rather standard plot of hard partying college students and their friends, develops into a layered, complex story well worth reading for horror fans. I've watched way too many shallow or ...more
Kyleigh
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
3.4/5 ⭐️

STORY 3/5 (I was really frustrated by this book. Like the beginning was great then the middle was meh and I thought the ending was going to be great but in the last couple of pages it let me down. Also I got vibes of The Shining and Amityville Horror that were more than homages.)

CHARACTERS 4/5 (They were all REALLY unlikable but that really didn’t make me dislike the book. They were supposed to be unlikable. I just thought they were meh. I did like Drew and really related to him in some
Grace Hudson
This was an awesome horror story. So many times I have picked up a horror book and been disappointed with the lack of scares or weak plot or whatever. When I started reading this, I found I couldn't stop. In fact, I felt the excitement building as I went along, knowing that I'd found a well-written horror book that is truly memorable. Can't really praise this one enough. I'm not going to ramble on and retell the whole story, because that's half the fun. Go read it. It's a wild ride.
Merrisa Dolin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a story! I enjoyed the twists and turns, comic relief and creepy creativity that this author weaves throughout the entire story! I especially loved that the tale was told from the first person narrative as it truly allowed you to get inside the main character’s head — although at times you will not want to be there! The ending was NOT what I had expected, but that’s the best way a horror story is told!
Eamon Ambrose
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I delved into the horror world, so this debut from Adam Vine seemed like the perfect place to start!

Film student Drew Brady lives with his friends in a college house, where all the usual shenanigans associated with student life take place. His best friend/unrequited love, Bea lives close by and spends a lot of time there too. When Drew finds some polaroids of former tenants in the house's suitably creepy basement, he soon finds that the photos reveal much more, and that a
Marcus
Jan 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I got about 12% of the way through this one and skimmed a bit further, but found the main character and all other named characters to be way too frat-bro and cliche to continue. MC has a vicious case of "nice guy" syndrome, the main love interest is typical Smoking Hot Girl Who Is Also Very Very Smart Because These Are Complex Characters Y'All, and everyone else is just written to be "typical college students". Perhaps this changes later in the book but I didn't find the experience pleasant enou ...more
Amber ☾♥
Alright, Adam Vine. I see you.

This was definitely interesting. The creepy parts were written well enough that I wasn't sitting there thinking "this would translate better on a screen" like with a lot of thrillers.

I think I have to think on this before I write a full review though...

For now: 2.75 stars
Adam Vine
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I said I'd never be one of those authors who rates his own book. I lied.
Dez Nemec
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2018
Really weird and creepy little book.
Lilly Charysma
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing

[I have received an audio version of this book for free, in exchange for a review. This has in no way altered my opinion. Rating here reffers more to the story, than to the audiobook.]

I must confess since the beginning that I am not a such a fan of horror books. Having this one in the audio format was a very good thing, as I enjoyed the story very much!

As the description says, a group of college students notice someone has been spending nights in their basement and also a bunch of Polaroids sh
Tobyann Aparisi
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tobyann by: 25
I received this book from the author (for free) for an honest review.

Let me start by saying the cover of this book alone is sort of creepy (in a good way if you like creepy books like I do) there is a figure floating above the house and the cover is dark. Whoo Hoo I'm in. This book is very well written, the characters are well defined (you can definitely see them in your mind) and they have a very real feel to them. This story will keep you turning page after page into the wee hours of the nigh
Dawn
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose to listen to this book after receiving a free audio copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

Drew Brady lives in a typical college party house with other students. Drew is overweight and has low self-esteem because of his weight and his inability to attract girls like his friends do. He also has a history of depression probably for the same reasons. Of course, no one realizes this because he always presents himself as Mr. Nice Guy. In reality, he's not even cl
Rebecca
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I'm not sure it's the right word to say that I "enjoyed" this book, because it was intense and brutal and a total mind-warp. Maybe it would be better to say I appreciated this book, because it really was brilliant in a lot of ways. There is a double-twist at the end that I completely did not see coming--I didn't see either twist coming, actually, and I had to read the last part a couple of times to make sure I was actually understanding it.

Being in first person narration with a truly unlikable
S. Wilson
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Vine’s Lurk is a great little horror/suspense novel about one of the most terrifying things you could ever imagine: Friends. Obviously, there’s more to Lurk than just that; the book follows narrator Drew Brady, college student extraordinaire, as he and his housemates and friends are dragged into a dangerous mystery with the discovery of an old box of polaroid photos underneath the earthen basement floor. There is a supernatural element to the horror, of course, but two other specters that l ...more
Edward Burton
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Kara
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never heard of Adam Vibe before; never had the privilege of reading his stories and as a cheap book on kindle I can't really say I expected much. I was wrong to underestimate him.

The story focuses on Drew, a college student living at Sunny Hill. Upon discovering some old polaroids, Drew soon becomes obsessed with "them" and the "union", who push him towards vile and heinous crimes.

Ultimately, it's a ghost story with a slasher feel to it. It reads very much like a teen horror film but is int
Dana Sullivan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this one down. This is super creepy. I didn't find any of the characters particularly likeable, but that's probably the point. I did feel a little bad for Drew at a few points in the story, but that didn't last very long. The writing was really good --- I know I was making a face during some of the more gruesome scenes throughout the story.

My only complaints were that I think it dragged a little bit around 3/4 of the story (mainly, the "flashbacks" of the Union that Drew was seei
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hometown
  • Relentless (A survival horror story)
  • The Curse of The House on Cypress Lane: Book 0- The Beginning
  • Demon King
  • Gilchrist
  • Beneath the Lion's Gaze
  • Stay Away
  • Suicide Forest (World's Scariest Places #1)
  • Dark Halls
  • Chaser (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels, #13)
Adam Vine was born in Northern California. By day, he is a game writer and designer. He has lived in five countries and visited almost forty. A narrative designer for video games by trade, he is also the author of two novels and many short stories. When he is not writing, he is traveling, reading something icky, or playing music.