Start by marking “Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology (Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology, #1)” as Want to Read:

Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology

(Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology #1)

POWER & MAGIC is a comics anthology about queer witches of color for teens and adults ages 14-and-up. The book is over 160 pages long, black and white, and contains 15 original stories blending fantasy, drama, humor, and romance.

Cover by Ashe Samuels
Published January 1st 2017 by P&M Press

Start your review of Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology (Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology, #1)
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This was absolutely excellent. Every story had a different vibe and style, but they flowed together so well and I want to know about 150% more about every single individual world every one of them takes place in. Full of soooo much diverse rep. Every main character is queer, and all are POC. There are blind witches, deaf witches, witches with chronic pain, and many who deal with depression. It's a really beautiful collection and I HIGHLY recommend t.
Anna Marie
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, witches
OMG THIS IS SUCH A GOOD AND BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION!!!! my fave stories were Your Heart is an Apple by Nivedita Sekar [it has an ex-mermaid ariel as a cane user and it also just is like...... b e a u t i f u l]. i cried at its loveliness!! then i love as the roots undo by joamette gil, especially this lovely line:
“they called her witch. I called her moon.” and then lastly i ADORED songbird for a vulture by Naomi franquiz, it was so tender and gorgeous [also one called like the shop that never
Luce
My favourites were Your Heart is an Apple, Capture the Stars, The Shop That Never Stays and Songbird for a Vulture. But all of the comics had something profound and lovely of their own.

(A note on the shelving: most stories in here are ff, but not all. One has a trans protagonist. I haven’t marked it as “lesbian” because even though the pairings are predominantly ff, not one of them ever explicitly denotes sexuality.)
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
What a great collection! Other comics anthologies I've read didn't have true short stories that stood on their own, but Power & Magic really did! My favourites were "Your Heart Is an Apple," "The Whisperer," "Te Perdi," & "The Shop that Never Stays." And there were only a few that didn't really do it for me. There was a nice mix of drawing styles, serious & light-hearted stories, and different cultures & ethnicities. You can't go wrong with these stories about queer witches of ...more
Megan
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, lgbtq
Do you ever just feel really recharged reading comics by queer people? I feel so alive and simultaneously heartbroken by some of the stories in this anthology.
McKinlay Dennis
Liked most of the stories. Only loved a couple. Still totally worth the read.
Jessica
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful wonderful book.

I loved most of the stories in this book, and the contents page even gives content warnings for any stories that need it! <3

I can't wait to see the next anthology from this company when it comes out :D
Colleen (Soggywarmpockets)
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a refreshing collection with a great showcase of gender and racial diversity. I highly recommend if you like witches and can get your hands on a copy.
Mir
Mar 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Honor-listed for a Tiptree Award.

Sean
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I’ve been really jamming with comic anthologies lately, and this was one I was really excited about when I backed it on kickstarter last year. It’s basically the radness that’s on the tin–an anthology focusing on the work of queer women and nonbinary people of color with a witches theme. There’s a line on the back cover I really like: “The Queer Witch Comics Anthology explores what it means to be a person of power in all its complexity.”

Like with any anthology, the quality and style varies from
Chasia Lloyd
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BEST way to spend an evening. This queer witch comics anthology is filled almost exclusively with women or nb/trans people of color along and loads of disability + mental illness rep. Some stories made me squee or giggle. Others made me cry. The rest made me so grateful to be in the same timeline as these talented creators.
Alexis Sara
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
This is one of the best books I ever read. Taking in the amazing set of artists and stories being told there has never been a book I felt so fully represented in. Queer people united in telling a great selection of stories about power.
Abbey
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I backed this on Kickstarter and I'm happy to say I do not regret it. It includes a wide range of stories and styles. My favorite stand-outs include "Your Heart Is An Apple" and "The Whisperer."
Carrie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Queer Witch Anthology from Power and Magic Press is a project that has been near and dear to me for a number for reasons: it was a Kickstarted comics project, it was put out into the world by a publisher of creator-owned comics that is QPOC-operated. Lastly it was led by one of my favorite artists/comics personalities from Twitter which would be Joamette Gil whom I had the opportunity to finally meet in person at Geek Girl Con last year. (Jo gives GREAT hugs by the way!) This review is a ...more
feux d'artifice
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
i really like the idea of queer witches comic anthology but i wish it was more and better
Richelle Priscilla
This was wonderfully magical and full of spirit and love and power. I will be treasuring this forever.
Danielle
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection, thoughtful and expressive. Not all the stories spoke to me personally, but the ones that did were truly meaningful to my life. It's a volume that stays with you.

Standout stories include The Whisperer by Arianne Hokoki, which in addition to being a wonderful story about depression, self acceptance, and love, is phenomenally drawn with a beautiful, saturated style. Her Gift by Coco Candelario, which looks like Steven Universe and Kiki's Delivery Service had an adorable,
Schnekk
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Your Heart is an Apple" by Nivedita Sekar is really wonderfully drawn. Loved the fairy tale princess references, made me feel like the characters had good depth even within such a short number of pages.

"The Whisperer" is charming, but difficult to focus on because everything printed so dark. It looks like the comic may have originally been drawn in color (?) and then converted to grayscale... And if that is the case, I bet the color version is beautiful!

A preview image for "Fluid" really made
Derek Newman-Stille
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer-studies
Power & Magic is an incredibly potent collection of narratives that have needed to be told. It is a reminder that we Queer people need to have narratives that don't just include us, but CENTRE us, making Queer lives the central stories.

As a youth I searched through comic after comic to find a magical mirror that would reflect some element of myself back to me, tell me a story that I could see myself in, and Power & Magic is the collection that I have best seen myself in. So often our
Jaymee Goh
A wonderful little anthology covering a range of love stories, from sad to sweet to bittersweet, and a range of art styles as well. The most striking is "Def Together" by fydbac, starring a deaf witch crushing on a blind witch, with ASL in place of lettering except at the very end (which is a great little punchline that heightens the meet-cute of the story). Definitely a thing to read as the world is falling apart around one's ears.
Maia
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, lgbtq, fantasy
A wonderful collection of short comics edited by Joamette Gil. All of them were good, but some of the standouts for me are "Convolvere" by Jemma Salume, "Your Heart is an Apple" by Nivedita Sekar and "Songbird for a Vulture" by Naomi Franquiz. This book is now available both in print and as a PDF on Gumroads: https://gumroad.com/powerandmagicpress#
Ashley Rose
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!

Very beautiful stories by incredible women, I loved the messages and diversity in this book as well as the mental health aspects of some of them. I feel it wasn't for me completely (I don't struggle with a lot of these issues, though some of them really moved me more than others), but I would recommend this to nearly everyone because of the messages behind them.
Alexia
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, fiction
I loved the comics so much! Even the sad ones were so heartfelt and most of the stories warmed my heart and brightened my day when I read them. I wish the anthology was longer, just because I enjoyed reading it so much.
Camille
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and brief anthology and a great introduction to a bunch of wonderful creators. I am really happy to be able to support these talented coven of color!
Waffle
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An extremely strong anthology (I loved ALL the stories) with gorgeous art.
Jaina Bee
This is beautiful and brilliant. Excellent from the editing to the printing. I want MORE! (Yes, i have already read it multiple times!
Hannah Garrison
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Summary and What I Loved:

(Note: since this is an anthology, I’m just going to discuss a few of the stories rather than the collection as a whole.)

“Her Gift”

This is a lovely little comic about April, a witch, and Pamela, a baker. They have an adorable, loving relationship. April helps Pamela bake a cake and suggests Pamela enter into a baking contest. However, things get a little mixed up when April offers to add magic to Pamela’s cake. Pamela feels offended by this and that April doesn’t
Brandie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Such a great collection! I don't think there's a bad story in the bunch! And that cover! Gorgeous!

It's hard to pick favorites but I'll give it a try:

I loved Your Heart is an Apple by Nivedita Sekar about Snow (yes Snow White) but the evil queen/witch is not her evil stepmother but a lover/partner whom she gives her heart to only to have it replaced by an apple as the queen walks out of her life. Snow slowly returns to the dating world and you watch as she struggles to mend her heart and
Artemis
Brilliant, powerful, original, authentic, and important.

'Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology' - Fifteen comic stories about witchy, fantastical queer women of colour, written and drawn by queer women of colour.

Each short story is vastly different from the one before it, and it's not just the eclectic art styles; all of which are beautiful in their own way that fits, like a kid glove, a kitten heel, a velvet cushion, a felt slipper, or a silk purse. Some of the tales are funny,
Brooke
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This comics anthology was one I kickstarted back in 2016 because comics by queer women of color are so often overlooked and ignored in the comics community. WHICH IS A FUCKING RACIST, MISOGYNISTIC SHAME! Now that I've read this volume I can delightfully say - THIS WAS SO FUN AND OFTEN ADORABLE. But also sometimes heartbreaking.

The artwork is all in black & white. There are various art styles and each short story touches on different intersectional identities and age demographics. Not every
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Are You Listening?
  • Elements: Fire
  • Spell on Wheels (Spell on Wheels, #1-5)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Bury the Lede
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Gender Queer
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • Marvel Rising
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities
  • Motor Crush, Vol. 2
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Stage Dreams
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • The Black Mage
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
Joamette is a queer Afrocuban illustrator, cartoonist, curator, podcaster, and publisher from the Miami diaspora.

Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology (2 books)
  • Immortal Souls (Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology, #2)