Start by marking “Beyond the Horizon” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Horizon

Beyond the Horizon

Eliana longs to see the world beyond the mountains that tower above Salzburg, Austria, but knows that dream will never see such adventure- and neither will she.

Surrounded by a world of cruelty, she lives for the weekly visits of Aron, a boy she met on one of her rambles through the countryside.

But as the years pass and she begins to grow older, a new and unwelcome world
Published December 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Horizon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Horizon

Elaina
The main character's name is almost the exact same as mine! I rarely ever see that happen so I HAVE to read this book hehe :P
Kate Willis
FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.

Say the words “fairytale retelling” and my ears perk up. Then tell me it’s a World War II version and show me the beautiful cover, and I’m in. ;) This was a pretty unique take on the on the tale of Cinderella down to the fact that Eliana disliked dancing. I enjoyed her interactions with Aron ((view spoiler)
Sarah Grace Grzy
I loved this sweet retelling of Cinderella! Eliana was very sweet, and I liked how she wasn't perfect. She had her faults and flaws just like the rest of us. WW2 is one of my favorite times periods to read about, so this fascinated me.

I loved the character of Aron. He was so kind and gentle with Eliana. I also loved his care-free "do whatever he wants" (in a good way) kind of attitude.

And Wilhelm . . . <3 <3 <3 I did not see that storyline coming, but I L.O.V.E.D. it!!!! His love, ten
J.C.
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beyond the Horizon was a sweet tale which I thoroughly enjoyed!

First of all, it had such an unique premise! Cinderella retellings? They’ve been done. But a WWII Cinderella CHRISTMAS retelling? Can it really get any better?!

Not only that, but the story came through on every aspect. I thought everything was developed down to the tiniest detail, retaining a strong Cinderella feel while still being unique and distinct. It was so, so, so cleverly done, and came through amazingly. I loved the ways it
Faith
5 of 5 stars

*happy sigh* Ahhh, I just love this book so much. It's a lovely story and a Christmas story (so already a "yes, please!"). But then you add a Cinderella retelling (I love fairytale retellings, y'all...) and set the whole thing in Austria at the beginning of WWII? Was this book written for me, or what?!

I had the opportunity to beta-read for Miss Wheaton and I really enjoyed Eliana's story. She, along with Aron and Wilhelm (just...<3), were my favorite characters. The lovely setti
Rebekah Morris
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
The cover is what pulled me to read this story in the first place because I'm not really much of a fan of fairy-tale re-tellings (or fairy tales at all). But, I had read a few other stories by this author and decided to go ahead and try it. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The setting, the characters, the action were all interesting and kept me wanting to read.
This is a story I'll probably read again.
Angie Thompson
Whoa! How did I miss that this was a Cinderella retelling? Cinderella in post-Anschluss Austria with shades of Sound of Music? Umm, yes, please!

I recognized the Cinderella connection immediately, and I loved watching the way the story developed. Of course, the setting itself gave the story a very unique feel (Nazis!), but there were several other twists that really shook things up and kept me guessing. No spoilers this time--you'll have to go read it for yourself--but, can I just say, "Ahhhhh!"
R.
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
For, me this book is rather difficult to rate.
Basically, the story idea was pretty good. Even though I’m not romance’s number one fan, I still thought the story was pretty sweet.
However, in several instances the characters (right now I’m thinking mostly of the stepmother) didn’t quite act real. The plot twists were slightly rough but not bad.
The salvation message was quite clear which is a plus.
If you like World War 2 and clean romances you probably found the right book.
I has the privilege of
Mikayla
This was a cute, short Cinderella retelling. For some reason my brain found the setting very hard to adjust to. I kept thinking it was much further back then WWII. I wish the author had described the setting a bit more. But I did like the characters and I enjoyed the plot.
I guess this was a bit of a blank slate for me. I like this authors books, but I guess I shouldn't read fairy tale retellings. It seems like the balance between to close to the original and not close enough is very hard to pul
Kellyn Roth
**Originally posted on Reveries Reviews**

Before we go any farther, I just want to say … that cover. Wowza. It’s so gorgeous. It’s also super professional. I just adore it! I know who I’m going to go to for future covers! (Although … I know so many good cover designers!)

That was really a fantastic story! It’s a unique, interesting way of retelling the Cinderella story. I especially liked the little mystery! Absolutely fantastic. She totally had me going for a while! :D

This is definitely one of my
Bethany
Although I’m not a fan of fairy-tale retellings, and even though I don’t keep Christmas, I decided to read this book anyway—firstly because it’s WW2, secondly because the plot sounded so intriguing, and thirdly because I have yet to come across the book written by Miss Wheaton that I didn’t enjoy! And, to my great delight, I was not disappointed!
This story was amazing! The characters were so realistic, the setting beautiful, and the writing-style, as usual, brilliant. I loved Eliana, she was suc
Rebekah Duncan
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ohhh.....my heart. This books is soooo good!! It's not even really that sad but I still want to cry because it's just so sweet! I love Aron so much!! He was so sweet! I literally sat down and read it in one sitting. And Wilhelm....oh my goodness. Could it get any sweeter?? I loved the whole Christmas scene when Aron comes back. Jesseca, you've done it again! ;) This is definitely going on my list of favorite books!

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*
Chloe (aka Crystal)
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 8+, depending on if you're okay with fairy-tales.
Previously published on Purely by Faith Reviews.

My Review:
I've had this on my tbr shelf for almost a year, and I've had the pleasure of reviewing this book for the author. I really wanted to read this when I found that this is a WWII Cinderella retelling, and you know what? It barely reminded me of that at all! This story was just so original, in my opinion. I was drawn into the story quickly, and read this in one sitting (while watching-actually mainly listening to- those older Donut Man videos
Elodie (Readable Mélange)
Beyond the Horizon is a WWII retelling of Cinderella. I love the period, and I love fairy tale retellings, so of course I jumped at the chance to read and review for Ms Wheaton. It's a short story, not a full length novel as I was expecting, so it was a very quick read. It was really so short that there was too little time for characterisation, so it relied very much on the inherent characterisation of the original Cinderella story - Cinderella as a patient sufferer and the Prince as her heroic ...more
Maddy
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed

Christmas, WWII, AND Cinderella? Between that and the gorgeous cover, I've wanted to read this book for awhile now. ;) Beyond the Horizon is a unique and delightful story of Cinderella, and it did not disappoint.

I absolutely loved the setting and characters in this story. Aron was great and I loved how he was always reminding Eliana about wearing a coat. ;) I did not see the twist coming with Wilhelm coming, but I loved it. It was great to see that Eliana still had family.

Overall, I
Olivia
Aw, this was so sweet! I've always liked the idea of the Cinderella story, only don't like the magic part of things. The author used a great idea and made it even more fascinating. A WW2 Cinderella story!! Perfect :)

First off, I love the cover. It's gorgeous!! Secondly, each character is great. Aaron and Wilhelm are both my favorites. I still wonder why Aaron couldn't (view spoiler) but I suppose that was out of the question considering. I love, love the salvation m
Rebekah
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-by-friends
The only complaint I have about this story was that it was too short!! XD Well done, Jesseca! As always, I love your stories, no matter what length. You made me fall in love with Aron a little bit just by reading about him. ;) Yet another character crush I'll have to add the the ever growing list. :P
Julie
Sweet young adult Cinderella story with WWII setting. This young author is worth following!
Molly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Apparently, I have not read many Christmas novels. However, out of all the ones I have read, this one is definitely among my favorites! :)

Now, the characters. ;) I really liked how Aron was always watching out for Elly, and making sure she took care of herself.
Elly was a sweet character. Her tendency to run outside in the freezing cold with no coat was hilarious! I loved the part when she discovered her Messiah!

The setting was December 1938, in Salzburg, Austria. I really enjoyed the setting!
Zielle
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 8+
Shelves: favorites
Let’s just say first of all, the cover is amazing. I don’t usually pay attention to the covers of books, but I really like this one (and I LOVE the cover of A Question of Honor). It’s SO professional.

This story was fantastic. I saw that it was christmas story, a fairytale retelling of Cinderella, in Austria AND in WW2??! WOW! It’s so unique and interesting. I loved it. Jesseca Wheaton is a very talented young author and she’s inspired me to write more because she’s only 18 (I think) and she has
Amanda Grace
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a very sweet book, I definitely enjoyed it, and I read it all in one sitting.

The story is a re-telling of the Cinderella tale, set in Austria in 1938. I thought it was cleverly done. The characters are delightful, the setting intriguing--all in all it was nearly everything a story should be.

I say "nearly" because there were a few things that bothered me, but not enough to diminish my enjoyment of the story. There were a few grammatical things, such as saying "in the distant" rather tha
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
A well-written tale that reminded me a little of Heidi and the Sound of Music. This is a Cinderella tale of a girl who loves the mountains where she lives, but dreams of the world beyond. But when the dearest friend she has in a world where her family does not cherish her reveals a devastating secret, is there hope for happily ever after when War is looming? This book was very absorbing, but it felt a little unfinished to me in its resolution. I would have liked to see Aron stand up for himself ...more
Lila Diller
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this twist on the Cinderella story, without the fairy godmother or magic pumpkins. The author did a good job of weaving together WWII history with the fundamental elements of the Cinderella story, making it seem quite possible. From the very beginning of the Prologue, I was drawn into Elly’s world, sympathizing with her right off. I loved the twist when Elly found out about her past. I especially loved the happy ending. My only real complaint is that it was too short! I wish the story ...more
Hazel West
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice short story and retelling of Cinderella (kind of like Cinderella and The Sound of Music combined). I really enjoyed the characters. Elly was a great protagonist; she was sweet and strong and even in this short novella you got to see quite a lot of character development for her. Aron was also a really good character, and I felt really bad for him being put into the position he was, forced into the Nazi party when he probably never would have chosen that for himself. Their r ...more
Ntebogeng Archer
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful read. My second book by the author and I only wish it was a full novel. Sweet story. Well written. Well paced especially given the length of the story. I'll be reading this one again.
Brianna
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I've never actually read a novella before, at least to the best of my knowledge, and this was a fun introduction. The characters were easily my favorite part, but I also liked the look at WWII (it was WWII, right?) from sorta the other side. Almost all the WWII stories I've read are either a 'good guy' or stuff to do with hiding and smuggling Jews, and there's nothing wrong with that, it can make for a great story, but this was different and I liked that.

Just about the onl
RebekahAshleigh
"Beyond the Horizon" is a really good book! It's a World War II, Cinderella retelling, Christmas story. I don't really like fairy tales or fairy tale retellings, but this isn't your typical fairy tale retelling. It's really good and unique. This book also had some twists and surprises that I wasn't expecting. I'd definitely recommend this book! :)
Soleil
Dec 10, 2016
Jessica
Apr 28, 2018
anika
Sep 11, 2017
Jesseca is a daughter, sister, and a child of God. Her days are spent reading, cooking, spending time with siblings, or playing piano. And writing, of course! At an early age words fascinated her, and her love for the printed page has only grown. She lives with her parents and seven siblings in the sunny state of Kansas, and she’s convinced there’s no place like home.