Start by marking “Paper Hearts (Veterans Affairs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Paper Hearts (Veterans Affairs, #2)

Paper Hearts

(Veterans Affairs #2)

You never forget your first love. No matter how hard you try.

After getting caught making out with a boy in his parent’s kitchen the day of his high school graduation, Benito Quintana left his best friend (and unrequited crush) Mikey behind when he stormed off in a righteous teenage rage and joined the Marines.

The whole Marines thing didn’t work out so well, but one dishono
Published January 20th 2017 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Paper Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Hearts

Denise H.
*** There sure is a lot going on here. ***
This is a tale of Veteran, Benny, 23,

suffering from his PTSD, and TBI, and not having a web of help. Partly this is fault for not telling his family what happened to him. He is saved by some drag queens in San Diego, and tries getting on track, with AA meetings.
Nearly a lawyer, Michael/Mikey, 26, with a four yr. old girl,

adorable and smart, Jasmine, has only his sister helping him at times.
He is not out to his family, and still feels guilt and grief
Alisa

This is the second book in the series and features a new couple, Michael and Bennie. They had been best friends as children and teens and then when Bennie left for the military they fell out of touch. It's 8 years later and they find they both live in the same town again. A lot has happened though. Bennie struggles with PSTD and some serious physical ailments from his time at war and Michael has lost a girlfriend to cancer and is now a single dad. They immediately realize they still car
meep
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I was given an advanced readers copy for an HONEST review

I started the book and it was okay. as i read more i realized the story was really good but for some reason the style was not my thing exactly. While the author is amazing maybe i just was not in the mood to read this? but it was enjoyable enough. i suggest others read this book as well!
T.M. Smith
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You never forget your first love. No matter how hard you try.

Benny and Mikey were best friends as teenagers, both uncertain of their sexuality, both believing the other straight and not interested. Boy were they wrong. When Mikey walks in on Benny kissing another guy, Benny flees, joins the Marines and effectively, cuts off all contact with his best friend. Over the years they are apart they each experience some of the worst life has to offer. Benny is discharged from the Marines, has PTSD whic
Mainely Stories
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite themes or tropes, if you will, is the story of the veteran and life after the service. A. E. Wasp has the ability to include the scars and dents along with the heart and soul of the veteran's life. In Paper Hearts, Veteran's Affairs, Book 4, the author leaves little to the imagination.

While working his employer's booth at the Denver Pride Parade in Denver, ex-Marine Benito viewed a tall, well-formed African-American man with dreadlocks who was drawn from Benito 'Benny' Quinta
Sam Burns
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, there are numerous copy-editing errors, and they are mildly distracting. But the characters and the story are so very good, I could push that to the back of my mind and be okay with it.

Benny is one of the best military characters I've ever read. I grew up in the military, and I only ever see it completely romanticized in novels. I get it, and I have some fond memories myself, but more often than happy gay soldiers and sailors, you have people like Benny, who get injured in the line of duty
Pati
If only there weren't so many errors....

I loved these guys and little Jasmine. I loved revisiting Troy, Dmitri, Chris and JayCee. I enjoyed so much of this story. However the further into the book I read the more errors showed up. I suspect that the proofreader got so into the story that she forgot to do her job.
Jenny Wood
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FIrst, I have to say that I adore these stories... Throw a hot dad in, and watch me swoon!
I didn't quite get the whole, being apart for 8 years and not recognizing each other. I didn't buy that. If you're in love with someone, best friends since childhood and don't see them for a few years... I can't imagine I'd forget them, their voice, everything that I loved. So, it started off wrong for me.

I got over it...

Mikey is a single dad to the cutest four year old little girl, Jazmine. His wife passe
Ann
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! It's an uphill trek both ways for Benny and Mikey. They've been friends since age twelve but something happens causing Benny to leave. It's years later, and fate brings them back together. To be together, they have to get past the pain of their past, and in Benny's case- learn to live with the physical and emotional baggage each day brings. I loved both the main and secondary characters in this story who show what friendship is.
Paisleyrowan
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: normmal, reviewed, on-blog
I thought this was going in a different way because of the synopsis. But it didn't. Maybe because of the author, maybe because of the characters, maybe because of the length of the book. Who knows. But it was good. It was a pleasant surprise. I was not let down in the least. The story stayed all in the present, not at all in the past. It felt like it was worn like a piece of clothing, where it had its own weight and feel and presence but was so just so universal for everyone that it wasn't even ...more
Dawn B
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all the previous books in this series, and this is by far my favourite. It's an emotional roller coaster, that at times had me laughing out loud, and at others brought me to tears.

Ms Wasp has such a way with words, and such empathy for the issues her characters deal with, that you can't help but be drawn in completely. In this one both leads have a lot of baggage, both have emotional issues in their past, and in one characters case there are physical issues too. All these are dealt wit
SMJC
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars at most

Did I like it ? To be honest, it's like a 50/50 situation. I hated that Dimitri and Troy's story felt unfinished because yeah, they got engaged in the last book, but were already married in this one. Then there's the Spanish. It's not "nice" Spanish. It's actually quite crude and rude. I get that Benny is of Mexican decent and the author wanted to include that, but it could have been done better.

I didn't love Benny. I didn't love Mike. They definitely felt rushed. So much frea
Bobbi
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is book #4 of the Veterans Affairs series by A.E.Wasp. It is a must read series!!!!! I love every one of the characters A.E.Wasp has written in this series! A story is nothing without great characters and this story is fantastic! The characters in this book are the same in the next book #5 Paper Roses. I happened to read them backwards. Benny & Mikey where best friends in High School. They lost track of each other for 8 years. Then find each other in a surprising way. I can't say how mu ...more
Tammy
3.5*

I am left with a few unanswered questions with this one. I did enjoy it for the most part but the editing left a lot to be desired. I love how Benny's friends come to the rescue and how Mikey and Benny reconnect. Jasmine was just too adorable! Will continue with the series as it draws you in and you want to find out what happens next!
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
There were a weirdly large amount of copy editing errors that really threw me off. It also felt kind of unfinished, somehow? idk, I didn't like it as much as her hockey ones, that's for sure.
Alexleo
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story. Only complaint - there were a few times when the names of the characters were mixed-up; this made the reading of some scenes a little bit confusing
Carey
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The editing (or lack thereof) took this from 4 stars down to three, but the last half of the last chapter was so hilarious that I’d give it 3.5.
Simera
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a BF to lovers second chance romance. Benny and Mickey are just to sweet. Lots of baggage that they both bring into the relationship but they both want the same in the end.
[semi-hiatus]
Oct 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
pros:
- jasmine;
- the conversations about race;
- (view spoiler)

cons:
- literally everything else.

DeWanda
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kultd
2.5*
Diane
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tell Me Everything

I so wanted to give this a 5 star rating but there were just too many editing errors.

The story is fantastic.
The dialogue was very natural and believable.
The characters were ones that barged into your heart and held on tight. Even when you wanted to shake them silly.
I'm sure there are a lot of fine physicians in the military who take their jobs seriously and bend over backwards to give the best care to the wounded and provide follow up after they're discharged. Maybe we need to
Sue
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ADORABLE

OMG, what an adorable love story between Benny, Mike and little Jasmine. No, I don't mean adorable in the cutesy, cutesy sense.....I mean in how much love the men already had for each other and how Jasmine helped to pave the way. This was another beautifully written story, in this witty cast of characters who are always there to lend a hand. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND THIS AMAZING SERIES!!!!
Antoinette
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, sweet and heartwarming book. Once I picked it up I couldn't out it down. Benny and Mickey were childhood best friends who lost touch with each other when Benny ran off to the Marines after a misunderstanding between them. Years later they book up in a bar during a masquerade party after the Price Parade without realizing who the other is. They realize they still have feelings for each other, the same feelings they had as teens but kept to themselves. The more time they spend togethe ...more
avid reader 1
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Possible spoilers**
This is such a good book!! From the first page on, I was captivated by the characters. The storyline was well thought out and well written. You can tell the author cares about the issues dealt with in this work.
Benny has struggled for years to find his place in life. Mikey had his place forced upon him.
Their reunion after so many years was marred by the many secrets each felt they had to keep.
Both suffered loss in their lives and were still dealing with the fallout from the
Nicole Henderson
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again this book highlights PTSD and how tough or great life can be being gay.
This is Benny and Mikeys story. And truly another great read.
Benny has always know his sexual preference and leaves for the military after being caught making out in his best friends kitchen.
After 2 tours and a less than honourable discharge Benny is struggling with life in general. But fate has a way of helping him.
Mikey moves on after his best friend just ups and leaves he meets and wonderful girl at college but get
Rachel
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.

I am really enjoying this series and I think this is my equal favourite.
I am hoping though that before this book was published that the grammar, misspelled and mixed up names was sorted out.
I loved the humour throughout this book even with hard subject matter. I loved the whole first love but not really first love and how if things had been different at the beginning so many other things wood have changed.
Again the way the subject of
Jennie
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I was quite disappointed in this book. I had actually pre ordered a copy I was looking forward to it so much but the editing errors were too much for me. There were so many mistakes that I was pulled out of the story many times & was just getting too annoyed with it.
I did enjoy the basis of the story & if it was edited/proofread properly & corrected I would have given it a higher rating. This was my first read from this author but I don't think I will try anymore.
Heather Rawlins
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and now I need to read the first three and how did I miss them. I always love military books and this was so good. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I wanted to keep reading. It was a well-paced, interesting, dynamic characters. I love Jasmine, what a sweetie. And I hope the next in the series is more of them – or at least that more will come, I really want to see their relationship develop. I would totally recommend this book to anyone.
JANET FINLEY
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book!

This book starts a bit slowly, but do yourself a favor, and keep reading. This book is AWESOME! The only way it could be improved is to be longer. I want to read more of Michael and Benny's lives. I hope there is another book in this series so that we learn more about their future.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Breathing Again
  • Rekindled Flame (Rekindled Flame, #1)
  • Making Ends Meet
  • Living Again
  • The Lonely Heart
  • Two Daddies for Christmas (The Breakfast Club #3.4)
  • Driven by Fire (Firehouse Six, #4)
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • Never The Perfect Moment (Perfect Moments, #1)
  • An Adventure In Beginnings
  • When It's Right (Mile High Romance #1)
  • Snowblind
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • Ever the Same (Love is Blind #1)
  • Nothing's Missing Now
  • The Doctor and the Bad Boy (Ellery Mountain #4)
  • That Eighteenth Summer
  • New Status Needed (#gaymers, #1.5)
After time spent raising children, earning several college degrees, and traveling the world with the U.S. State Department, she is returning to her first love - writing.

A dreamer and an idealist, Amy writes about people finding connection in a world that can seem lonely and magic in a world than can seem all too mundane. She invites readers into her characters’ lives and worlds when they are their

Veterans Affairs (3 books)
  • Incoming (Veterans Affairs, #1)
  • Bronze Star (Veterans Affairs, #3)