Start by marking “Into the Water” as Want to Read:
Into the Water

Into the Water

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  228,409 ratings  ·  21,162 reviews
Random House presents the unabridged, downloadable audiobook edition of Into the Water by Paula Hawkins, read by Imogen Church, Sophie Aldred, Daniel Weyman, Rachel Bavidge and Laura Aikman.

The addictive new psychological thriller from the author of The Girl on the Train, the runaway Sunday Times Number One best seller and global phenomenon.

In the last days before her
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 12 pages
Published May 2nd 2017 by Random House Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Into the Water, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jill Hanson carrell remember when Patrick cleared all of that stuff from the cabin and stuck it in her car, and then she got the stuff out of the car and "threw it away"…moreremember when Patrick cleared all of that stuff from the cabin and stuck it in her car, and then she got the stuff out of the car and "threw it away" and he asked about it? The bracelet had been there at the cabin on their last encounter. She had taken it off and failed to put it back on. Patrick cleared all of that stuff up and took it out and stuffed it in his car to hide it(less)

·  228,409 ratings  ·  21,162 reviews

Start your review of Into the Water
Emily May
I'm going straight down the middle with a 3-star rating but, in truth, my thoughts are all over with this book. I think the only way I can make sense of it is to break it down into points.

1) This book is very different from The Girl on the Train.
That ad that keeps flashing up saying "If you liked The Girl on the Train, you'll love Into the Water" is bullshit. Into the Water doesn't focus in-depth on any character, but rather moves between the perspectives of many members of a British town. While
karen
congratulations, 2017 goodreads choice winner in best mystery & thriller!!

oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best mystery! what will happen?

review posted at los angeles review of books!! here:

reviewing this for L.A. review of books - and they sent me a finished book instead of an ARC! these britches! i have become too big for them!
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*3.5 stars* (rounded down after more consideration)

It’s almost inevitable that this book will be compared to The Girl on the Train, which is a pretty flattering testament to the magnitude of a book’s success.

Into the Water, however, stands on its own and easily separates itself from its notable predecessor. This story is unique and its large cast of characters are bold and distinguishable. The only commonalities I found are ones I went into this book anticipating: phenomenal writing and a wide
Linda
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrible-twos
When I first started reading this "much-awaited" second novel by Paula Hawkins, I was so impressed by her ability to create such an eerie, chilling description of what I had hoped was a taste of what was to come--reminiscent of old, black-and-white, British movies. I remember wondering at the time she was writing, if she might have been imagining this book becoming another movie. That's how it began to feel--too much attention was given to the details of the surroundings.

The author gives a quick
Maureen
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Thank you to www.shotsmag.co.uk for my ARC for which I have given an honest review*

Nel Abbot was found dead in the river, just a few short months after the death of her daughter's best friend Katie in similar circumstances. Nel had lived in Mill House by the river her entire life, and most of her memories pretty much revolved around this dark and forbidding body of water, particularly 'The Drowning Pool'. It's a place of secrets, mysteries and witchcraft. Nel was completely obsessed with
Liz
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is not an easy book to get into. Lots of diverse characters and you are left trying to suss out who’s who and what is happening and why so many people don't seem to like Nel and are glad she's dead. But the book does grab you. You only see glimpses, back and forth, but they are fascinating, shimmering glimpses, like trying to determine what's underneath the water. Hawkins excels at keeping the reader off balance. There are twists throughout.

I liked the premise. Nel is the latest death in
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Ummmmmm........

I wouldn't recommend listening to a book for the first time on audio with 6,695 POV's!

I may read the physical book and see if I like it. I just can't like this book at this time. It switched so many times between dates and people that I wanted to throw the book! Well, audio on the tablet across the room!

I would never have gotten the audio if the summary would have said there are 1500 people in the book! Sigh!

The group of narrators were good though.

Now that I think about it, I
Elyse (semi hiatus) Walters
Twisted, suspenseful, spooky & eerie--mysterious to the very end--( wasn't even expecting I like this book much- so nice surprise) I found the book free in "The Little Library"...box-give-a-way-exchange in front of a neighbors house.....

....gorgeous descriptions and visuals created of scenery --an enthralling textured large cast of characters, ( lots of thinking about these people), and an ending that stopped me cold.

Taunting exquisite prose. I might have liked this more than "The Girl On
Crime by the Book
Find my full review here: http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2017/4...

This book was, unfortunately, a disappointment to me. Convoluted plotting, WAY too many characters to keep track of, and an overall lack of suspense made for a less than engaging read. I'm sure many readers will enjoy this one, but if you're looking for a psychological thriller with the addictive pacing & shocking plot twists of THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, I wouldn't recommend this one.
Rachel Reads Ravenously

First things first, I want to point out how very rare it is for me to rate a book 1 star. In fact, in the last 5 years, I have read a total of 1,257 books, and only rated 20 of them with a 1 star. That's 0.015%. So before all of you jump on me, or the trolls come running, know that I just hated this book that much.

I will give this book 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Paula Hawkins is an amazing writer. Her words flow across the page, and it's why I continued to read this book. The writing basically
Book of Secrets°ღ
I lost patience with INTO THE WATER early on. By page 32, I counted seven different POVs. Confusing! A few more POVs were added after that. Basically the story was about a place called "The Drowning Pool" where several women died, beginning in the 1600s. The latest death is a woman who was writing a book about this seemingly cursed place. Sounded promising, but turned out to be dull. Needed more suspense! I was looking forward to this book, but in the end it was just meh.
Julie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins is a 2017 Riverhead Books publication.

‘No one wanted to think about the fact that the water in that river was infected with the blood and bile of persecuted women, unhappy women; they drank in every day.’

The river has a history of claiming women, but no one would have thought they'd fish Nel Abbott out of its depths. When Nel's body is recovered, her estranged sister, Jules, returns home to identify her sister's remains, and to take care of her niece, Lena.

As
Wendy Darling

The good news: THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN was not a fluke.

The not-so-great news: this book's plot and characters are less compelling, and its flaws much more obvious.

Review to come of the audio edition.
jessica
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
one of my goals for 2019 is to try to make a dent in my physical TBR. ive had this sitting on my bookshelf for ages, but never really had the motivation or desire to pick it up, mainly because i am one of the few who did not enjoy 'the girl on the train.'

but ive also been trying to not swear off authors completely just because of one disliked book. and so after finishing this, i can say with good conscience, that paula hawkins is not an author for me.

personally, i find this book to be on the
James
Into the Water by Paula Hawkins was the book selected by my blog followers as my Book Bucket read for January 2018. Each month, I hold a poll where you can pick from 12 books I want to read, rotating a new one in and out each month. I was excited to read this one, but hadn’t read Girl on the Train before, so Hawkins is a new author for me. I enjoyed the book a great deal, despite a few areas that didn’t quite work for me, but I’d still recommend it to others as a strong thriller and suspense ...more
Kylie D
I approached this book with great anticipation, having loved "The Girl On The Train" by the same author, but sadly this was nowhere in that novel's league. For a start is has far too many narrators for each chapter. I often had to stop and think as to who the latest one was and where they fit in. Plus I didn't like any of the characters. By halfway through I was hoping they'd all drown! I did persevere and finish it, but I wasn't riveted at any stage. 2.5 Stars
Linda
Clickety clack.....

The conductor is taking tickets on an already crowded train with an over-abundance of character passenger cars. This train is headed into a very dark tunnel.

The Drowning Pool is known to its surrounding inhabitants as a draw for women who seem to end their lives quite badly. It has a tainted history that reaches far back into the 17th century with the drowning deaths of young females accused of being witches. Even as of late, there have been three questionable deaths involving
Annabel Dunstone Gray
I really liked Girl on the Train, so maybe I was expecting too much.

SO MANY characters (and way too many POVs) and kind of a tangled plot. By the end I didn't care much about who had done what.
Maxwell
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2017
I enjoyed this one more than The Girl on the Train, but I still think it had its faults. The writing was definitely above that in TGotT, and I appreciated the variety of characters and voices in this one. Even 80% of the way through the novel I wasn't totally sure where it was going—part of me liked that and part of me didn't. I didn't mind not having clear answers up until the end, but I also didn't feel like there was much drive or mystery to propel the story along. It's definitely not as ...more
Kendall
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This novel was one of my highly anticipated reads for 2017. I had it preordered since January on my kindle (hence how ecstatic I was).

Going into this I knew I loved her first best selling debut and tried my absolute hardest not to compare to her first. But, we tend to all do that a little bit unfortunately.

This one was a little difficult for me to get into and I was pretty confused at the start of the novel. So many characters and my head was spinning trying to connect with the storyline. It
Megan Johnson
I really just wasn't into this book. I was lost most of the time and not able to keep up! There were too many characters in the book to keep track of. Just not a book for me :(
Margitte
Paula Hawkins, a freelance journalist from London, firmly proved herself as a versatile writer by publishing romantic comedies under her pen name Amy Silver, as well as huge successful thrillers under her own name. Girl On The Train was a phenomenal bestseller, which she followed up with this second thriller Into The Water.

This book reminds me a lot about The Casual Vacancy by J.K.Rowling(a magnificent read in itself). Both books have the community of a small town in common, who address the
Miriam Smith
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
"Into The Water" is the second book written by global bestselling author Paula Hawkins. Considering I didn't connect with "The Girl On a Train" at all, I therefore didn't know what to expect from "Into The Water". However, I was very pleasantly surprised at just how much I truly enjoyed this entertaining book - its completely different in every aspect and although slow burning it still races along and keeps you constantly entertained.
Blurb - 'In the last days before her death, Nel Abbott called
Liz Barnsley
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was one of the fans of Girl on a Train but this is something else. Beautiful writing, totally immersive narrative, multiple viewpoints and clever little twists, its like Paula Hawkins had a bit of a practice with that girl on that train and then went YEP I can do this better so gives us Into The Water.

Full review nearer publication.
Brenda
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a tangled mess. The story is told by numerous characters from their own perspectives. It bounces back and forth in time. It also includes some pages written by one of the deceased. Sometimes this writing method overly confuses things, and this time is one of them. I had lots of trouble keeping the characters straight. I had to stop at one point, go back to the beginning and make notes of character names and relationships. There were also a few times I had to go back to review certain ...more
Carmen
DNF.

I won't say much, but I have a few thoughts. Paula Hawkins isn't a bad writer. Look at this part:

I lay on my bed in silence. I can't even listen to music because I feel everything has this other meaning that I didn't see before and it hurts too fucking much to face it now. I don't want to cry all the time, it makes my chest hurt and my throat hurt, and the worst thing is that no one comes to help me. There's no one left to help me.

She flares towards the wildly dramatic, I mean that her
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
3 stars. This novel was averagely enjoyable for me – not especially good, but not bad either.

I should start by saying that I was one of the readers who liked “The Girl On The Train” but didn’t think it was overly impressive. Perhaps I am simply not the target audience for Paula Hawkins writing.

The first half of this novel had me intrigued but then my interest slowly fizzled out. I stopped caring for any of the characters or where the storyline was headed. The suspense that Hawkins was building
DNF @ 35%
The writing style and mass amount of POV's is annoying me to no end.
Sheri
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2017
I'm not quite sure what I think of this book, so I will give it a solid 3 stars, maybe 3 1/2 stars. A bit confusing at the beginning with so many characters to keep straight but I found the premise of the book interesting and got into the story pretty quickly.

Unfortunately life got in the way of my reading and there were several days where I was not able to read anything in the book. I think this was a big downfall for me. I wanted to pick up the book and read more, yet I didn't want to. When I
Stacey
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first GR giveaway win! And a winner it was. I was highly anticipating this novel, as were a lot of us, I suspect, after Girl on the Train . I went into this with no expectations and was warned about the lengthy cast of characters. I was careful at the beginning to keep them in order and that helped with my enjoyment of this novel.

I won't recap because there are fantastic reviews out there from one to five stars. The folklore about the river at the beginning set the stage to its power and
Play Book Tag: Into the Water / Paula Hawkins. 4 stars 3 13 Aug 20, 2019 04:05PM
The ending... help me cope! 11 228 May 25, 2019 04:45PM

• The Girl Before
  • The Death of Mrs. Westaway
  • Dark Places
  • Little Fires Everywhere
  • The Good Daughter (Good Daughter, #1)
  • A Stranger in the House
  • All the Missing Girls
  • The Breakdown
  • Nine Perfect Strangers
Paula Hawkins is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Girl on the Train, which was made into a major motion picture. Her new novel of psychological suspense, Into The Water, is coming May 2.
“Beware a calm surface—you never know what lies beneath.” 85 likes
“Yes, it is. It’s, like, when someone has an affair, why does the wife always hate the other woman? Why doesn’t she hate her husband? He’s the one who’s betrayed her, he’s the one who swore to love her and keep her and whatever forever and ever. Why isn’t he the one who gets shoved off a fucking cliff?” 29 likes