Start by marking “Minecraft: The Island” as Want to Read:
Minecraft: The Island

Minecraft: The Island

(Official Minecraft Novels #1)

Be immersed in the Minecraft universe for the first time in a thrilling new adventure like no other! Perfect for fans of DanTDM and StampyCat!

Minecraft: The Island, the first and only official Minecraft novel, will tell the story of a new hero stranded in the world of Minecraft, who must survive the harsh, unfamiliar environment and unravel the secrets of the island.

Minecr
Published July 18th 2017 by Century

To ask other readers questions about Minecraft, please sign up.
Anders H. There is no bad language. It's actually a really unique book. Although, the reading level is for more teens or tweens. I'd say it's at least a 5th gra…moreThere is no bad language. It's actually a really unique book. Although, the reading level is for more teens or tweens. I'd say it's at least a 5th grade reading level.(less)
Frank It is meant for children. The chapters are broken up into individual "lessons" about life. I am reading it at night to my children. We are in Chapter …moreIt is meant for children. The chapters are broken up into individual "lessons" about life. I am reading it at night to my children. We are in Chapter 4 and both boys are enjoying it. (less)

Start your review of Minecraft: The Island
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/08/27/...

I never thought I’d see a book like this, brought to us by the author of World War Z no less. A month ago, if you had floated me the idea of a Minecraft novel adaptation, I would have laughed and said it would never fly. I mean, what would it even be about? Won’t it just end up being a three-hundred-page instruction manual on how to play the game?

Well, apparently yes and no. This “first and only official Minecraft novel”,
Alex
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
😃I enjoyed this book because I liked the part when the main character finally found land after he was drowning.😃 I also enjoyed this book because I liked the part when he named the cow "Moo."😃 I also enjoyed this book becase I liked the part when he also made friends with sheep; one blue sheep, one white sheep, and one black sheep.😃 He named the blue sheep "Rainy," the black sheep "Flint," and the white sheep "Cloud."😃
I also enjoyed this book because I lllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooo
Michael Finocchiaro
In The Island, a plucky guy from our world wakes up and finds himself in the strange Minecraft world of blocky Moos, scary Spiders, angry Zombies, and dangerous Blasties. He writes this book with popular maxims for survival for whoever comes after him. While the idea was interesting, my experience with Minecraft was one of wane bewilderment while my son found it only mildly interesting. So a book about it? Well, it was underwhelming and felt a bit redundant at times. The tone is very millennial ...more
Jordan
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible! Just terrible. The second I heard Brooks on NPR peddling his new book, I put it at the top of my short list. I loved World War Z, The Zombie Survival Guide and The Harlem Hellfighters, so I assumed that I would enjoy this too. I was wrong. This book was so boring and the writing was sophomoric at best. This is a first person narration with a single character a la The Martian except without being enjoyable. It is so bad that I am refusing to believe that Brooks actually wrote it. I am h ...more
AudioBookReviewer
My original Minecraft: The Island audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

If you are a fan of the game Minecraft, this book will fill the void when you are unable to play.  Minecraft: The Island, written by Max Brooks (World War Z), takes our main character from day one in the world of Minecraft to feeling somewhat comfortable with his new surroundings.  The audiobook version can be purchased narrated by either Jack Black (Kung Fu Panda) or Samira Wiley (Orange is the
Kai Aida
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes Minecraft. It provided new theories about the game and guides.
Brittany
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I was the right person for this book. I mean I have put in TONS of hours playing, but I'm not super obsessed with all things Minecraft. You either need to know a bare minimum of facts about Minecraft or be obsessed to really enjoy this book.
IzzyRex
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning I really liked this book, couldn't put it down for a super long time. But closer to the end it started to get kind of boring and it was getting a little repetitive. But the end was super sad and I loved how the author put so many useful life lessons in each chapter. 👍
Sean Carlin
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am neither a Minecraft devotee (I've never played it, though I read an article about it in Time a few years back), nor the target demographic for this novel (it's for middle-graders), but I nonetheless enjoyed and admired what Max Brooks achieved with this project. He somehow translated the pixelated aesthetic of the videogame and made it integral to the fictional environment of The Island, and gave this open-ended "sandbox" adventure a narrative structure. And The Island even shares a worldvi ...more
Christopher
While it wasn't terrible, I felt a little misled by the Max Brooks part of this equation. I guess I shouldn't have expected World War M?

At any rate, I read this because my son is big into the game and I wanted to have something we could share. This was way more Y than A than most books and was almost a game guide at points. Very hard to read something that is telling you / describing to you how to manage inventory.

There was one truly laugh out loud moment when you meet the animals for the first
Kevin Potter
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would.

Disclaimer**
I do not play Minecraft. I never saw the point.
That said, reading this book feels like what I imagine playing the game would be like.

I'm almost actually tempted to try it.
I enjoyed the writing style (in spite of it being in first person, which I ordinarily hate), and it had just the right amount of detail vs expediency to keep things moving and fun.

And lastly, the audiobook read by Jack Black is fan-freaking-tastic! I'm not a
Jenny Vee
I think this book will be great for a select audience. My 6yo and 9yo loved it but I think anyone deeply immersed in the world of Minecraft or outside of it will be disappointed.
SparklyHorn
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book I would read over and over and over! If i could only read one book for a whole year, it would be this one. In the first chapter, there is so much feeling page by page. And the true survival story. This book represents Minecraft in the best possible way. In each chapter, the main nameless character learn a important survival lesson. Also these lessons are the type that you can relate back to your own life.
Example: Even if someone looks like you doesn't meen that they are not a friend.
A
Mike
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a big fan of World War Z I was excited to see that Max Brooks had written a book on my kids favorite subject. Imagine my disappointment when Brooks largely failed to both entertain me or my kids. As my seven year old said after the first 30 pages "Who is this book for? Anyone reading it already knows how Minecraft works." Exactly. I'm not sure who the audience is for this book since no one who isn't a huge fan of Minecraft would spend their time reading a fiction novel about it. Despite that ...more
Charles
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Written to order portal fantasy with a Robinson Crusoe/Win to Exit spin where the protagonist was marooned inside Minecraft .

Full disclosure—I am both a fan of the author and of Mincraft. In addition, I normally eschew Children’s popular literature.

My ebook copy was a modest 277-pages with a 2017 US copywrite.

Max Brooks is an American writer of apocalyptic fiction and non-fiction as well as being an actor. He has more than twenty (20) published books in both series and stand alone. The last boo
Eduardo Szeckir
I was happily surprised by this book! When I first picked it up and started reading it I stopped at around page 70 and I couldn't keep reading, it was way too boring hahahah
However, when I discovered Jack Black was the narrator for the audiobook, I decided to give it a try! Besides Jack Black being an amazing reader, all the sounds effects and soundtrack were incredible! It truly brought this book to life! I've been playing Minecraft since I was 9 and when I heard about the plot of this book I w
Arkham Reviews
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog

I was recommended this book off the back of my reviews of the Five Nights at Freddy's novels, but it's really an animal of a different kind. While the FNAF novels are designed so that anyone can pick them up and enjoy, the Minecraft novel is clearly written with fans of the games in mind. If you've never played Minecraft before, this book will make no sense whatsoever and so I'd strongly advise that you don't waste your time.

However, it's difficult for me to understand the appeal of this novel f
Rod Brown
I had a pretty serious Minecraft addiction for a few years, building a 30,000 block perimeter road around my kingdom that stretched 5,000 blocks east to west and 10,000 blocks north to south. Inside this boundary was a modest castle, sixteen fortified villages, a limited overworld subway system, a smaller netherworld subway system, a dozen desert temple homes, four jungle temple homes, an oasis house built around a well, an excavated end portal temple and a completely drained ocean temple, all c ...more
Dolly
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys playing Minecraft (and parents of those who do)
I really enjoyed reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, so when I saw this book at our local library, I immediately borrowed it for our Minecraft-obsessed daughter. She liked the book, and I really didn't think much more about it.

That is, until I listened to the Nerdist podcast where Chris Hardwick interviewed Mr. Brooks (again) and I knew I had to check out the audiobook (it's narrated by Jack Black!!)

One of the fascinating things I learned by listening to the podcast is that t
Loraine
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
As a family we play a lot of Minecraft in our house so it made sense to read this. If you have never played the game then it would probably come across as totally bizarre, but as a player it makes sense. It reminded me how it felt when I first created a world and had no clue what to expect. The story is slightly repetitive but then the game can be too depending on how you play. The plot only touches the surface of what Minecraft has to offer though, there are many more things to discover in the ...more
Maximilian Lee
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was very realistic in the character exploring Minecraft. The character was very realistic by telling how he couldn't breath, or when he was starving and when he was losing hearts. The book was also a lot more realistic than books by Winter Morgan. I also liked this book because I liked the way Max Brooks expressed the character's feelings in Minecraft. Max Brooks expressed the character's feelings by saying like "he felt devastated".
FanFiAddict
3.5 Stars
Dani Scott
Yep. I read my little brothers minecraft book.
I actually quite enjoyed this book... to some extent. I think for a minecraft book it is done pretty well. For a regular book... maybe not.
I understand what this book was trying to do, it kept trying to push morals into it and everytime the main character did something he was like 'oh yeah, well I've had a problem but that means I should be positive, not overthink, take things step by step' etc. I just feel like if I got stuck in a game I didn't und
Magen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This had more life lessons and good advice than I expected. But it was less funny than I hoped. Solid listen.
Sally
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Surprisingly entertaining. Teaches some life lessons in a non-lecturing format.
EA Solinas
Small warning: I have never played Minecraft, so any in-jokes or highly specific references are going to go straight over my head.

But the name "Max Brooks" was enough to get me interested in "Minecraft: The Island," the first official novel based on the popular sandbox video game. This book literally feels like what would happen if a hapless human being -- who is kept something of a blank slate -- was transported into the world of Minecraft and had to fumble his way through surviving there. It's
Hi Iamhacker
Katie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was delightful, and I'm 100% convinced it was written for Jack Black to read. He brought the text to life and made me laugh.

It was definitely a middle-grade book, but it was a quality middle-grade book. As a Minecraft player, it was really fun to watch the character figure out things that I already knew, kind of like watching an alien interact with human society.

There were some parts that were surprisingly heavy--the character was completely alone and projected friendship onto the animals
rhysciar
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY
Wow, what a book!
This was the most astonishingly fu**ed-up book I've ever read. This is not even a novel, it's just a manual for Minecraft players who've never played with that game. If you follow this book, you'll learn how to play the game, but god for a novel? This was plain bad. The info-dumping was amateurish, the character was just lame, the world... while it works in the game, it DOES NOT in a book.
I really can't fathom why they couldn't write a story for Minecraft like the Telltale game.
Caro
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger
I really enjoyed this book. It's got plenty of humor, emotions, life lessons, suspense, friendship, and a good ending. I'm hoping there will be another book. This brought new life to minecraft for me. I thought it was a boring game. But threw this book it kinda makes me want to play it. Although I haven't really played it before. It has you laughing a good few times, which I enjoyed. This was written well too. I think the youngsters will enjoy it too. Have fun and enjoy!
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 11 Jul 22, 2018 06:58AM
This Book is Currently Out 1 7 Jul 20, 2017 04:43PM

• Minecraft: Combat Handbook
  • Minecraft: Essential Handbook
  • Minecraft: Redstone Handbook
  • Minecraft: Construction Handbook
  • Minecraft: Secrets Handbook: The Ultimate Minecraft Secret Book. Minecraft Game Tips & Tricks, Hints and Secrets. (Minecraft Books)
  • Minecraft: The Chronicles of Herobrine (Minecraft books)
  • Invasion of the Overworld:  A Minecraft Novel
  • The Quest for the Diamond Sword (An Unofficial Gamer's Adventure #1)
  • Tales of an 8-Bit Kitten: Lost in the Nether: An Unofficial Minecraft Adventure
  • Diary of an 8-Bit Warrior: An Unofficial Minecraft Adventure
  • The Ballad of Winston the Wandering Trader, Book 6: (an unofficial Minecraft series)
  • The Legend of Dave the Villager 2: An Unofficial Minecraft Book
  • Dave the Villager 27: An Unofficial Minecraft Book (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • Dave the Villager 26: An Unofficial Minecraft Series (The Legend of Dave the Villager)
  • The Ballad of Winston the Wandering Trader, Book 5: (an unofficial Minecraft series)
  • Diary of an 8-Bit Warrior: Path of the Diamond (Book 4 8-Bit Warrior series): An Unofficial Minecraft Adventure
  • Minecraft Dungeons: The Rise of the Arch-Illager: An Official Minecraft Novel
  • Stuck Inside Minecraft: Book 1 (Unofficial Minecraft Isekai Survival Series)
Max Brooks is The New York Times bestselling author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. He has been called ”the Studs Terkel of zombie journalism.“

Brooks is the son of director Mel Brooks and the late actress Anne Bancroft. He is a 1994 graduate of Pitzer College. His wife, Michelle, is a screenwriter, and the couple have a son, Henry.

Official Minecraft Novels (6 books)
  • Minecraft: The Crash (Official Minecraft Novels, #2)
  • Minecraft: The Lost Journals (Official Minecraft Novels, #3)
  • Minecraft: The End (Official Minecraft Novels, #4)
  • Minecraft: The Voyage (Official Minecraft Novels, #5)
  • Minecraft: The Shipwreck  (Official Mincraft Novels, #6)