Start by marking “Hate to Want You (Forbidden Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hate to Want You (Forbidden Hearts, #1)

Hate to Want You (Forbidden Hearts #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  2,710 Ratings  ·  605 Reviews
One night. No one will know.

That was the deal. Every year, Livvy Kane and Nicholas Chandler would share one perfect night of illicit pleasure. The forbidden hours let them forget the tragedy that haunted their pasts—and the last names that made them enemies.

Until the night she didn’t show up.

Now Nicholas has an empire to run. He doesn’t have time for distractions and Li

Published July 25th 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Hate to Want You, please sign up.
Tiffany No it's not. However, it leaves possibilities for follow up books with other characters but nothing to where you have to read them.

Melanie

“Ten years is long enough for me to be hung up on a man who hates to want me. Who I can’t seem to hate enough to stop wanting.”

This was a damn treat to read. One of my favorite second chance romances of all time. Never have I ever read such a sexy book, that constantly emphasizes the importance (and sexiness) of consent! On top of the fact that this book has some amazing diversity from most of the cast of characters, but it also showcases an Asian main character who is living with her depres
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Growing up as the pseduo prince and princess of their families, it was almost inevitable that Nicholas and Livvy would end up together. However, their world gets shattered when tragedy strikes and they find themselves ripped apart.
Ten years later and Livvy is back home to take care of her mother and maybe get back some of what was lost to her.
Nicholas wants some
Bubu
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cr, perfect, 5-stars, read-2017
For a beautifully written and coherent review please read Kyraraker's thoughts about this book. I don't think I'd be able to do this book justice as wonderfully as she's done it.

Anything I will say - I will be able to say - can only be random babbling. Or, to quote Nicholas here: "trite and overused words." But I knew it. I knew it. I knew it. I knew it would be good. I knew I would love it. I don't know why or how. It was simply a gut feeling, only to be confirmed by Kyra's review.

I assume eve
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Hate to Want You is on my top five favorite romance of this year. It’s so good, I’ve read it quite a few times.

Tropes: childhood lovers, forbidden romance with a second chance touch.

It follows the story of Livvy Kane and Nicholas Chandler who were a power couple back in the day. They both come from an intertwined affluent family, but a tragedy tore their relationship apart. Now, they’re public enemies.

I love this so much. The back and forth pull between the main characters and chemistry is le
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I think this one ended up being a little overhyped for me :( it was fine.. but I feel like it’s just blending in with a lot of the other romances I’ve read this week. Womp x100
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*2.75 stars*

Overall, I enjoyed this audiobook from new-to-me author Alisha Rai, but I still had a number of issues.

I give all the props to the female narrator, Summer Morton, who rocked every voice and every inflection. However, Jeremy York was a different matter. I felt like he was giving it his all and was technically proficient, but his voice was all wrong for the character. He sounded... prissy, which bothered me and distracted me while I was listening.

I liked the diverse cast of character
Joce (squibblesreads)
Took me a long ass time to figure out the family tree but it’s SO WORTH IT because it reads like a dream. One of the most complex and refined romances I’ve read, ever, and I’m so happy I get to breeze through the next two. Sexy af and wonderful family dynamics and representation. I’m INTO IT.
Elsa Bravante
Tenía muchas expectativas puestas en este libro, es una autora muy recomendada, fundamentalmente cuando se habla de libros con diversidad. Y efectivamente, quizás la historia no me haya noqueado, pero me ha gustado.
Dos familias con unas relaciones muy intrincadas, tiene lugar una tragedia y las consecuencias se hacen sentir en las relaciones personales de todos los miembros de las dos familias. Fundamentalmente, afectara a Libby y Nicholas, enamorados y que ven cómo las circunstancias les conduc
Mandi Schreiner
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Favorite Quote: "You never told me why you decided your car is a woman."

"Because no man could ever handle my ass for this long."

Alisha Rai has a new series and it's angst-filled from page one. I enjoyed it. I've seen it mentioned that this book is like Romeo and Juliet, except with a happy ending. And that is right on target. We have two enemy families, tragedy, resentment, and secret love.

Nicholas Chandler and Livvy Kane grew up together, and their families co-owned a large grocery store chain.
Sara➽[semi-hiatus] (Ink Is My Sword)
✪✪✪✪
“You can be strong and have moments of incredible despair, when everything feels like it’s collapsing in on you, and yes, when you feel like you want to die. Those moments are not weaknesses. They are simply moments. And they are not you.”

descriptionAll images were found in Pinterest, I do not own any of them.

The sparks, chemistry, angst, feels, all of it flew out of the page directly to my heart.

⚠ Depression

💭Pre-reading thoughts:

I have recently heard so many good things about this one and I need
Renae (Romantic Parvenu)
The corner of Romancelandia I tend to stay in has rarely embraced a book or author so unanimously as it has Alisha Rai and all of her Forbidden Hearts trilogy—but especially the first book, Hate to Want You. And, I must admit, even as an Extremely Hype-Adverse Reader, I managed to get on board with this. All of this is amazing. Rarely have I read a contemporary romance that seems to get everything right (which is why I tend to read historicals). But friends, I am willing to wholeheartedly certif ...more
Jiana
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so good!!!
Hollis
"I'm not looking for a relationship right now."
"Damn. Now you've done it."
"Done what?"
"Said the words that ensure a relationship smacks you in the face."

I'm so mad at myself for waiting so long to read this book. But knowing I have both (!!) of the follow up installments on hand takes away some of the sting. Still though. Why did no one pull an A Clockwork Orange on me and force this into my eyeballs? I'm really disappointed, friends.

She took his lust because it was all she could have of him.

Any
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Nuestra reseña en A la cama con... un libro

No sé qué esperaba de este libro pero no era lo que me he encontrado, una estupenda historia culebronesca entre dos familias con guarrerismo del bueno y, sorprendentemente, dulce y con mucho amor.
Ari
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Everywhere. That's the problem. I want you everywhere, and I always will.”

I've seen many bloggers raving about this romance and enemies-to-lover is one of my favorite tropes, so I decided to give this new-to-me author a try. Y'all, I am dead because this book is probably one of the best enemies-to-lovers romances I've ever read and if you don't already have it on your TBR, you are missing out on one hell of a read.

Olivia Kane and Nicholas Chandler have a deal: for one night every year, the
Dísir
‘Hate to Want You’ starts off fabulously—Alisha Rai’s writing drew me in immediately—with a hostile relationship that’s got its odd quirks: 2 people who started off as a couple who became ex-es who then became annual hookups. I liked forbidden elements to relationships, which was why I wanted to dive straight into it.

I hesitate to call this a modern day Romeo and Juliet retelling, but that’s my stubbornness talking about what I feel is Shakespeare’s worst (and most farcical) play ever. But Nich
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
I don't think I've ever cried so hard reading a book except with Fast Connection by Megtino and you all know that is my favorite book ever. But now Hate to Want You has positioned itself on the top of my list. You all aren't ready to experience this book.

What drew me in first was the hate to love trope. And obviously because it was an Alisha book and Alisha Rai writes romances with so much finesse and love and so very well done. If you read romance books and haven't picked up Alisha Rai, you ar
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Wow, the 2nd book in my romance reading project was a total knockout! To my admitted surprise, I ended up LOVING this book. I loved and empathized with the main characters so much and was impressed at Rai's talent for dealing with emotional complexities (romantic, familial, and otherwise). This book actually made me cry in TWO places! I was totally shipping these two from the beginning, and the obstacles they had to overcome were very realistic (old family business feud stuff, mostly). Both the ...more
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
I tend to drag my feet when it comes to reading “it” books. Often I don’t get the “it”. I absolutely get the “it” here. Hate to Want You is a lushly written and deeply moving story, but I personally found the romance more shaky than stirring.

I could list every single thing that I appreciated about the book, and the list would be long. So what did I appreciate the most?
*POC and queer representation in the book and on the cover. And isn’t that a GORGEOUS cover?
*Candid discussions of mental health
Cam (abookeater)
A copy was provided by the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

I’m a huge sucker for the second chance romance trope; mix that with enemies turned lovers and you’ve got a sizzling Romance filled with angst and tension. Just how I like ‘em.

Hate to Love You features Olivia aka Livvy, a half-Japanese, half-Hawaiian tattoo artist who is trying her best to bring her family back together after tragedy keeps striking over and over again. She’s back in the town that destroyed her
Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
Jan 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
1.5 Stars.
The only thing I feel at the end of this book is relief that it’s over!!!! ::: hides face ::: I most definitely think this is a case of “it’s me and not the book!” I struggled to feel any kind of connection to the characters. The writing was long and tedious and I had the strongest urge to skim. I’m bummed that this didn’t work for me. It was all over my Facebook, and several people I know LOVED it. So, I don’t know. I just didn’t really care for the characters, the writing didn’t spe
Sam (AMNReader)
I am emotionally exhausted & completely satisfied from the book. Others have gone into great detail and review this wonderfully.
Maria Rose
Hate to Want You by Alisha Rai is the first story in her Forbidden Hearts series, an emotionally angst filled romance of family, friendship, lust, hate, and love. It’s the story of two people caught up in a shared family history that could be their doom or their salvation. To understand their complex relationship, you have to go back to the beginning…

Sam Oka and John Chandler were best friends when the second world war separated them. As a Japanese American, Sam was forced to leave his home and
Lover of Romance
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

Hate To Want You is the first book in the Forbidden Hearts series by Alisha Rai. Alisha Rai is a new author for me, and I finally decided that it was time I needed to try this book out especially with how many good things I had heard about this one and I have to say that I am so relieved that I finally picked this book up and LOVED this book to pieces. This is a story that has a similar tone to the shakespeare play "Romeo and Juliet" only
Jaime Arkin
This book came highly recommended by a dear friend and so I was immediately cautious while reading… I’ll be honest, Rai is a new author to me and I have some serious reading issues that sometimes can cause me problems, but Rai hit every right note for me with this story.

Not only is this a second chance romance, which is one of my favorite tropes, but she also weaves in a bit of forbidden romance and love… to hate … to love!

The Kane and Chandler families lived, loved and grew together. They crea
Jessica Alcazar
Alisha Rai has blown me away once again. This woman …. You never just get a well written story. What you get is a deep, emotional journey with layer upon layer of discovery. Every turn of the page is a new discovery. Her characters are so deeply defined and so captivating that you will always want more. There has yet to be a story I have read by Alisha where I didn’t want more of her characters and the world she creates. I crave to see them grow old and read every moment. She is a master at her ...more
Kindling Micky

This is the kind of book that leads to devouring behaviour because it is rather hard to put down. Alisha Rai is a new to me author and not everyone can start a book by jumping ‘straight to it’ but the immediate intensity was a win in this case as the past history unfolded more slowly.

Nicholas and Livvy were in a Capulet and Montague situation both as young adults and in the now, a decade or so later. The families were such a strength to this story, not detracting from the main performan
Jultri
Livvy Kane and Nicholas Chandler have quite a history together. They grew up on neighbouring properties from families bound together by ties of friendship and commerce. Livvy's and Nicholas's respective grandfathers established the grocery store that later grew into an empire. Things were rosy. They were young. They were wealthy heirs. They were in love. A car crash brought their charming fairytale to an early end, and the princess did not end up with her prince. In fact, the princess did not ev ...more
Warda
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
[4.5]

Intense, genuine and so beautiful! I think this might be one of my favourite NA's that I've read. This book was real! I was expecting something cheesy and unrealistic, but this dealt with so many underlying relationship issues and the author dealt with it extremely well.

The writing projected the emotions of both characters so well. I felt way too much, jeez!

Eager to continue on with this series!
Teresa
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The early, pre-release reviews that I read about this book used words like "angst" and "emotionally complex" and "layers." Those are buzz words for me, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I can say that this book definitely lived up to that. On the surface, this story looked to have some familiar tropes, but instead it ended up being a lot more complicated and messy... and truthfully, much more real. There was an aspect about the heroine that I related to quite a bit, and I apprecia ...more

Forbidden Hearts (3 books)
  • Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • Hurts to Love You (Forbidden Hearts, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Society tells women that they have to be responsible for the emotional health of their relationships and then tells them they're weak for feeling emotions. What kind of message is that?” 19 likes
“The world was unkind to women. It was devastating to women who didn’t believe in themselves.” 4 likes