Start by marking “The Complete Stories of Leonora Carrington” as Want to Read:
The Complete Stories of Leonora Carrington

The Complete Stories of Leonora Carrington

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  571 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Surrealist writer and painter Leonora Carrington (1917-2011) was a master of the macabre, of gorgeous tableaux, biting satire, roguish comedy, and brilliant, effortless flights of the imagination. Nowhere are these qualities more ingeniously brought together than in the works of short fiction she wrote throughout her life.

Published to coincide with the centennial of her bi
Paperback, First Edition, 215 pages
Published April 28th 2017 by Dorothy

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Stories of Leonora Carrington, please sign up.
Lenny Possibly Susan Aberth's book, Leonora Carrington: Surrealism, Alchemy and Art. You can also find many illustrations of Carrington's work in Surreal…morePossibly Susan Aberth's book, Leonora Carrington: Surrealism, Alchemy and Art. You can also find many illustrations of Carrington's work in Surreal Friends: Leonora Carrington, Remedios Vara, Kati Horna. There's also a recent book by Joanna Moorhead, The Surreal Life of Leonora Carrington, which I've not read but I think is more of a biography than a compendium of her art.(less)

Nate D
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember at this point how I determined that Surrealism was somehow essential to my artistic (sub)consciousness. It feels like it was always there. I do know that this had really nothing to do with the most iconic (stereotyped) gestures from Dali or Breton, who I somewhat instinctively steered around, and more to with haunting Ernst landscapes and peculiar furred tableware lurking in the collections of the Met and MoMA, as well as oneiric guideposts glowing within filmed and written work ...more
Annelies
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Very peculiar tales. A lot of mad imagination, sometimes funny but often very usettling. Some tales did something to me that did frighten me. They feel full of subtle horror. It was like they were fairytales but a bit gruesome. Very surreal also. I am not sure what to think of them...
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Dec 17, 2016 marked it as i-want-money
Shelves: short-stories
Friend Jonathan brought this Forthcoming to my attention. Forthcoming (April '17) from Dorothy, A Publishing Project::

“This definitive collection of Carrington’s short fiction is a treasure and a gift to the world. A stunning achievement.” --Jeff Vandermeer

As always in cases like these, do not miss Nate D's reviews of Carrington ::
https:/
Cathérine
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zet je hart en geest open en geniet van deze wonderlijke en uiterst originele verhalen. Een zeer levendige fantasie bezitten helpt om deze verhalen naar waarde te schatten.
Leonora Carrington (1917-2011) was een beeldend kunstenaar, behorende tot de surrealistische stroming, die ook schreef. Dat ze dat surrealisme ook daar in doortrekt is een understatement.
Haar verhalen zijn bevolkt door nachtmerrieachtige personages in een magisch-realistische setting. Ze hebben geen echt begin of einde. Het li
Sean

Despite having previously read all but the last three of these stories (reviewed in more depth here and here), I still enjoyed them just as much during this second read. And because they are so brilliantly original and off-the-wall absurd, I had forgotten many of them, so it sometimes felt like I was reading them for the first time. What sets these stories apart from other surrealist/absurdist tales for me is the strength of Carrington's first-person narrators, who navigate through sometimes fri
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like her art, Carrington’s short stories are a mix of the bizarre and disturbing, with a smattering of humor thrown in here and there.
Marko
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leonora Carrington was an English-Mexican surrealist painter and a mighty talented one, if you ask me. During her life, she wrote a novel, a short memoir and many stories (in English, French and Spanish), all collected in a single book for the first time ever.

She writes as a painter; sentences are short and simple, but the choice of words is haunting, as are the stories/images, for her stories seem like sketches for surrealist paintings, filled with emotions, mythology, fantasy, carefully constr
Quiver
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

How can anybody be a person of quality if they wash away their ghosts with common sense?

Reading is an unnatural act. Unlike the appreciation of aural and visual arts, reading requires conscious effort even before deep interpretations are sought. Children see, smell, touch, hear, and learn to speak, before they master the written word. It’s the hardest form of basic communication. Harder still if it courts the edge of the expected by riding upside down on the underbelly of unnatural beings while
Guttersnipe Das
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading the Mary Ann Caws anthology, Surrealist Painters and Poets, and loving the selection of Leonora Carrington’s stories more than anything else in that treasure-house of a book. The more I reread Carrington’s stories, the more ferocious they appeared. They seemed to be written as if the fast-forward button had been pushed at least 3 times, as if Kafka had teamed up with Jane Bowles in a manic, drunken, hilarious rage.

As best I could, I hunted more Carrington stories. I read them
Jana Meixnerova
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was my first encounter with the literature of surrealism and, overall, it was a pleasant experience. Carrington clearly possessed a very special mind and an extraordinary imagination; her ability to create the most uncanny, bizarre worlds and exist at the intersection of fantasy and reality is mirrored both in her prose and her own life. The short stories in this book are equally whimsical and deeply unsettling, supplying the reader with constant doses of horror and confusion. While re ...more
T.D. Whittle
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, reviews
Clever and funny satires, in many ways, but I am just not enjoying these fairy tales and fables as I thought I would. I suspect they are too dark and bitter for me; qualities which are good in coffee and chocolate, but not stories. They do not enchant me as Carrington's paintings do.
Selena Chambers
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed being able to read these stories deeper through my read-a-long at WeirdFictionReview.com. Carrington's stories are disarming and delightful. If you are curious of my thoughts and reactions to individual stories within this great collection, please follow these links.

Hyenas, Horses, and Rabbits, Oh My: A Read-A-Long Journey Through the Leonora Carrington Century

Part I: http://weirdfictionreview.com/2017/05...

Part II: http://weirdfictionreview.com/2017/07...

Part III: http://weirdfictionr
Juliana
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"My head is a bier for my thoughts, my body a coffin."
Barbette
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has happened again: a book that I dreaded reading and put off for as long as I could has deeply rewarded me. Carrington's stories are fairy tales, full of whimsical, beautiful, and sometimes horrible imagery, that speak to our innermost fears, hurts, and psychological complexities.

As a trained visual artist with an interest in simplicity and editing, I shy away from surrealist art.

As a casual reader and an untrained writer, I find Carrington's surrealist words and phrasing, and the pictures
Gabriela Ventura
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: surrealismo, contos
Leonora Carrington foi uma mulher incrível. Não bastasse a biografia de dar inveja a qualquer fã de literatura aventuresca, ela ainda foi um pintora e escritora surrealista muitíssimo talentosa.

Os contos completos são o meu primeiro contato com a prosa dela e, ainda que eu não tenha ficado tão encantada quanto pela produção pictórica (sério, google it!), há alguns contos SENSACIONAIS no volume, frutos de uma imaginação prodigiosa e de uma mente capaz de compor imagens belas, violentas, desconfo
Sasha
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this book because I read the first story in the store and thought it was cool and weird and funny and also I liked the cover. But I know nothing about surrealism and did not understand a single story— mostly just kinda left me amused and confused. Hope to revisit one day!
Mark
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
there is something of the classical upbringing being slowly plucked apart like he loves me, loves me not in these stories. talking horses, pedestrian magic, and a truth that has nothing to do with facts or realness.
Bud Smith
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A blissfully beautiful, wacked out satire about the fabric of the universe. Here is a brilliant few sentences from The Beloved ... 'ONE LATE afternoon, passing through a narrow street, I stole a melon. The fruit man who was hidden behind his fruits seized me by the arm and said to me: “Señorita, I’ve been waiting for an occasion like this for forty years. I have spent forty years hidden behind this pile of oranges with the hope that someone would steal a fruit from me. I will tell you why; I nee ...more
Jane Talbot
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*WOAH* *Wild, witty and mind-bending* 'Once I was a great beauty and attended all sorts of cocktail-drinking, prize-giving-and-taking, artistic demonstrations and other casually hazardous gatherings organised for the purpose of people wasting other people's time.' This collection of 22 Surrealist stories is a fabulous read. I had to keep stopping in the beginning just to entertain more fully the ideas and images Carrington offers. By the time I was halfway through, my mind was generating all sor ...more
Brian
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this book. The stories are so strange and unexpected. Beyond that, they’re genuinely funny—something truly difficult to pull off while also juggling such surreal and disorienting imagery.

There’s a part in one of the early stories that I can’t stop thinking about. A woman is looking for her car but discovers that her chauffeur has buried it because, according to this chauffeur, burying a car is the best way to grow mushrooms. This non sequitur sums up the book for me: pearl-like moments so
Marie-Therese
4.5 stars.

Absolutely delightful collection of outrageously strange, colourful, mordant, and sly stories.

No matter what the setting (a proper English garden, a Celtic fairyland, a European metropolis, or a Mexican jungle), Carrington brings it to vivid artist's life and peoples it with the oddest characters imaginable. Kudos to Dorothy for bringing these stories together in a single collection and to the excellent translators for bringing out an essential Carrington voice even when working from
Alvin
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
These stories in this collection don't take place in a structured alternate reality, mostly, so they don't work as fantasy. They also lack, mostly, the basic elements of short stories. I recommend one read them as poetry (though they're not full of random line breaks), that way one can enjoy the wildness and not worry too much that they don't, mostly, make any sense. I read them one or two at a time as sort of palate cleansers in between more traditional literature and was able to, mostly, enjoy ...more
Terence
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued about Carrington's short fiction because of her interesting surreal paintings. These short pieces did not disappoint, and this collection from the Dorothy Project is incredibly in depth. Carrington's stories are all told as fables or fairy tales in structure but incorporate grotesque elements with dream like twists. A great surreal collection.
Steve
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty much as advertised: a nice breezy style, but with every word chosen carefully. It falls under the genre of horror, which is accurate enough, but the surreal nature of the stories makes it hard to keep it contained in that one genre. Only three stars because there did not seem to be any point or focus to the stories.
Tony Gualtieri
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some of the most remarkable short stories I've ever read: surrealistic fairy tales that are atmospheric, eerie, and sublime. The images are fantastic, word-paintings of strange worlds where animals speak, the unspeakable is eaten, and characters transform from people, to animals, to corpses and other inanimate objects. A feast to be sipped and savored!
Shelby
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each and every story in this collection is wild, weird, and wonderful.
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I'm grateful that my book club has pushed me to read many things I wouldn't have otherwise picked up, I can't even with this book. I gave it the college try, but I'm calling it quits after 100ish pages.
Cortney Cassidy
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
very visual and very absurd. the shortest stories were the most satisfying to read.
Nacho
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hay algunos cuentos que son realmente excelentes como Jemima and the Wolf o The Sisters. Entre festines, bailes y banquetes emerge un tono gutural que pone de manifiesto los hilos eróticos que subyacían en el fondo, haciendo aparecer, así, hombres-lobo y vampiros. El tono y el formato general de los cuentos me hace sospechar que Carrington fue una lectora asidua de Saki; por otro lado, el setting y la textura descriptiva con que compone sus escenarios me hace emparentarla con la gran Marosa Di G ...more
Leonora Carrington was an English-born Mexican artist, surrealist painter, and novelist. She lived most of her adult life in Mexico City, and was one of the last surviving participants in the Surrealist movement of the 1930s. Carrington was also a founding member of the Women’s Liberation Movement in Mexico during the 1970s.
“Even though you won't believe me
my story is beautiful
And the serpent that sang it
Sang it from out of the well.”
5 likes