Start by marking “Will Save the Galaxy for Food” as Want to Read:
Will Save the Galaxy for Food

Will Save the Galaxy for Food

(Jacques McKeown #1)

A not-quite epic science fiction adventure about a down-on-his luck galactic pilot caught in a cross-galaxy struggle for survival! Space travel just isn't what it used to be. With the invention of Quantum Teleportation, space heroes aren't needed anymore. When one particularly unlucky ex-adventurer masquerades as famous pilot and hate figure Jacques McKeown, he's sucked in ...more
Published February 14th 2017 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Will Save the Galaxy for Food, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amber
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amazingbollweevil He does an amazing job with the voices. I wish he would narrate more books!

Start your review of Will Save the Galaxy for Food
Patrick
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised to see this sitting on the shelf when I stopped by a bookstore down in Florida to sign some books. I've been a fan of Yahtzee's work on Zero Punctuation for a while, but I've been busy lately, and don't listen to it as faithfully as I used to.

More importantly, I really enjoyed his previous book Jam. (Which is, of course, a much bigger indicator of weather or not I'll actually like a book.)

Simply said, he's kind of an irritatingly good writer. His books are fun and easy
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
I love peanut butter. Imagine this introduction was pure, rich creamy peanut butter Reese's Cups.This book had one of the funniest and cynically appreciative introductions in I've read in a long time, with so much action and character interactions laced with cynically charming humour - it was intoxicating and I thought it would help me end 2018 on a bang.

Image result for reeses cups

The story follows a man who was a magnificent star pilot who saved worlds along with many other star pilots. This is so much like a story of w
Lyn
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny SF.

The protagonist of this story is a space pilot who reminded me some of Bill Pullman’s character Lone Starr in Mel Brooks’ 1987 film Spaceballs. Back in the heyday of space travel, the pilots had been the shiznit, but galactic travel has changed aplenty since the invention of Quantum Teleportation – meaning that people and freight can move safely and cheaply without the need of dangerous and egocentric space jockeys. Now he’s become a two bit swindler and has been, looking for his next j
a hooded figure from your friendly neighbourhood dog park
I was really enjoying the book, but the ending left me feeling... unsatisfied? It just seemed like the author got tired of the characters and stopped. Not sure if it meant to be a cliffhanger or a downer.
DarkChaplain
Review also published here

Will Save the Galaxy for Food is an incredibly enjoyable science fiction satire novel. I enjoyed my time with it immensely. Not only did it drip with sarcasm and just plain ridiculous ideas, but it also had some very interesting points to make about the dangers of finding oneself obsolete. While it seems like just a comedic sci-fi romp, it actually offers a lot more depth than is immediately apparent.

The protagonist (and first-person narrator) is a down-on-his-l
Kim
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Humor is subjective, and I'm sorry I subjected myself to this book.
Chris (The Genre Fiend)
Originally posted to Geek of Oz here.

---

Way back in 2010, celebrated video game critic, acerbic host of Zero Punctuation and permanent cynic Yahtzee Croshaw released Mogworld. His first published novel through Dark Horse Books, Mogworld was a delightful, parodic send-up of MMORPGs like World of Warcraft coupled with a surprisingly emotional "what measure is a man"-style plot about the life of a video game NPC. This welcome debut was followed two years later by Jam, a black comedy involving a bun
Wreade1872
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this is a space gangster satire. Think the 'Transporter' movies but with more of the vibe of a 'Layer Cake' or 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels', but in space :) . It is funny in places but the dangers are still real.

This is going to make me sound like a bit of a doint but holy-tract, i was not expecting to give a ply-ing Yahtzee book five stars.
Also this has some new adjectives which you should easily pickup, unless your some sort of complete bracket. I shall add them to my space lexicon
Chris Lemmerman
Nameless Protagonist #3 is a washed up star pilot who, through a series of increasingly insane coincidences, finds himself on the run from the law, the space-equivalent of the Godfather, and all of the other star pilots too. Joined by a woman with less emotions than a rock and two children from opposite ends of the adorable spectrum, this novel is like if Hitchhiker's Guide and a math dictionary had a baby.

Croshaw's quick wit, random asides, and insanely descriptive (sometimes uncomfortably so)
Carys
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
satire (n)/ˈsatʌɪə/
noun
1. the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
2. in "Will Save the Galaxy for Food", the use of useless humour, attempted irony and over-exaggeration to expose the fact that Yahtzee Croshaw is a terrible writer.

This was an awful book.

You know in Red Dwarf Series 6 and 7, when the jokes started to become really formulaic and over-rely o
Arjen
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, I'll definitely read more of Yahtzee.
Jason Parent
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was fun, tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, and somewhat clever. The ending was both frustrating and enjoyable.

The only thing I didn't like was the reference to Errol Flynn, an out-of-date reference now, never mind from a Lunarian presumably many centuries in the future.

Anyway, hardly seems a point to take any points over. 5 Stars
Ben Haskett
I remember being surprised when I first saw the book cover of Will Save the Galaxy for Food because I recognized the name Yahtzee Crowshaw and thought, whoa, he does one thing *and* another thing? I’ve seen this guy’s video game reviews for years, appropriately known as Zero Punctuation, because after the short intro butt-rock song he starts talking a mile a minute with, well, zero punctuation in between sentences, as he airs his grievances like a family member at Festivus. His commentary is usu ...more
Steven Stennett
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I have not laughed this much since the days of the Stainless Steel Rat. Comedy can be hard to pull off in book form I think but its even harder in science fiction.

This is ether a brilliant book or I just share the same sense of humour as the author.

I happily laughed out loud as the story unfolded, enjoying each chapter, savouring the ridiculous but highly likeable main character.

Who fundamentally was a lier and a cheat, but maintained a sense of ethics that were impeccable.

The use of
Цветозар Бонев
I have been a fan of Yahtzee's work in the form of Zero Punctuation since the moment I first heard his amazingly colorful way of expression. From the moment in which I heard that the man was also a novelist I marked both his previous books as to-read but just never got around to them. I did get around to reading Will Save the Galaxy for Foor (obviously) and boy did I enjoy it. Sci-fi satire? Written in the eloquent hand of the mastermind behind Zero Punctuation? Don't mind if I do. I simply love ...more
Patrick
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A hilariously clever satire of sci-fi space adventures and a must-read for fans of Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Matt Groening's Futurama.
Brendan
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommendation
4.5

I think it's rare when a book comes along and plays out like a good old fashioned pulp novel from the good old fun times. Yahtzee Croshaw seems to be shooting off the hip with a lot of the story elements and I'm perfectly down for twisty narratives. This is the first Yahtzee Croshaw I have reviewed but it certainly won't be the last, especially when the book Jam is based on my home city of Brisbane.

The characters are the key to the success of this novel, the lead character is ambiguous to th
cardulelia carduelis
I first encountered Croshaw, of course, on Zero Punctuation where his flow and his scorn are legendary. So naturally, after I found out he had written a sci-fi comedy I knew that (1) I was going to read it, and (2) that if the audiobook was narrated by him I was going to listen to it.
And it didn't disappoint.
I didn't expect much to be honest, humor in a game review is one thing, but translating that into a well-paced fully-fledged novel is another. Yet Croshaw had me onboard by the end of the
Elizabeth
An action-y, sci-fi satire that follows a hapless space pilot whose been monetarily persuaded into impersonating an infamous writer for a spoiled brat's birthday. Said pilot's get-rich-quick scheme quickly spirals out-of-control as plenty of characters with personal grudges come out of the woodwork to settle their grievances with the newly-located "writer".

Pros: a tighter narrative feel than Croshaw's earlier works, a demented family-road-trip theme that recalls Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby, fun wi
terpkristin
I picked this up because I really enjoy Zero Punctuation. And I also needed to use an Audible credit.

Do you remember back when Family Guy or Simpsons was "good" and it would start in one setting and you thought you knew where the story was going, but then by the end it went somewhere else entirely and yet you enjoyed the ride? That's pretty much how this book went.

Light, fluffy, and quick. And narrated by Yahtzee. Definitely silly but as I started reading it at the same time as I did Gateway,
Dave Boorn
His best book yet.

Other than his weird obsession with the word nacelle, Croshaw has gotten a lot better at writing over time. It's a good story and genuinely funny however if you didn't like his last two books then this is unlikely to change your mind.

He's mostly know for his Zero Punctuation videos but everyone should check out his let's drown out series with Gabriel. You'll notice a few things from this book have obviously been inspired by the conversations he has on those videos.

Comes high
John P
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Good light entertainment. Mr. Croshaw has an active imagination reminiscent in some ways of Kurt Vonnegut (as in Sirens of Titan) without the dark edges.

This is a quick fun read and the plot moves along briskly if not feverishly. There are several actual truly funny scenes and dialog - so rare and delightful to find.

On the other hand, once the reader gets into the book and begins to anticipate the myriad 'unexpected' twists, the plot is fairly predictable.

The author is to be commended for creati
Mohammad Abdellatif
An enjoyable space adventure that reminded me with the space quest game series.
I listened to the audio book version and it made it even more enjoyable.
A good book to suggest any person who is a fan of satirical science fiction like futurama or the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.
Ralph
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audio
4.0 out of 5 - A funny romp through outer space with plenty of action and more depth than readily apparent.

During the golden age of space exploration, skilled star-pilots were needed to navigate the vastness of space. However, when Quantum Tunneling was invented allowing instantaneous travel to anywhere in the universe, star-pilots became irrelevant. When a former star-pilot, turned tour guide, is hired to impersonate Jacques McKeown, a famous author, beloved by his readers and despised by star-
Jeff Harris
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, owned
An enjoyable listen but at times felt very repetitive. Minor spoiler: (view spoiler) While I didn't love the story, it also wasn't bad. The concept was a great one to explore: what happens when space travel becomes obsolete by advanced technology? But it wasn't actually explored.

I
Jenna
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, audio-a
A silly space romp that was entertaining and funny. Nothing to write home about but enjoyable enough to read another story by this author in the future.
Ozymandias
Story: 4 (Random and easily sidetracked)
Characters: 8 (Funny and distinctive with a sardonic twist)

Comedy is one of the hardest genres to get right. Make your jokes too specific and you risk losing your audience, but go too broad and it can become generic and unfunny. Either way only a fraction of your jokes will hit fully, and those jokes will be different for each reader. This novel manages to hit frequently enough to work while never quite being utterly hilarious.

One area where comedic novels
Graham Nicholas
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stellar! I honestly wasn't expecting much from Yahtzee, I've been burned on YouTuber books before, but I really liked this. It's well paced and funny, and has me looking forward to the sequels.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

I liked a lot of this but that ending left me wanting a lot more! I thought it was pretty abrupt but I did really like listening to, and reading, this book. If you're looking for some good satirical Science Fiction, this is for you!
Paul
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of funny, pulpy SciFi action popcorn
Around the Year i...: Will Save the Galaxy for Food, by Yahtzee Croshaw 3 35 Feb 06, 2019 03:15AM

• Andrea Vernon and the Superhero-Industrial Complex (Andrea Vernon, #2)
  • Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection (Andrea Vernon, #1)
  • Outland
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • The Vexed Generation (Magic 2.0 #6)
  • The Singularity Trap
  • A Murder of Manatees (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #2)
  • The Case of the Damaged Detective (5-Minute Sherlock, #1)
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo, #1)
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • Second Hand Curses
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • #1 in Customer Service The Complete Adventures of Tom Stranger (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #3)
  • Pinball Wizardry (Black Ocean, #8.5)
  • The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, #1)
  • Dial D for Deadman (Dan Deadman Space Detective, #1)
  • Guardian of the Plundered Tomes (Black Ocean 4.5)
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
Benjamin Richard "Yahtzee" Croshaw is an English comedic writer, video game journalist and author of adventure games created using Adventure Game Studio software. He writes articles for Australia's Hyper magazine, a major games publication. He uses his website "Fully Ramblomatic" as an outlet for his own work, including weekly dark humour articles, essays, fiction, and webcomics. He is currently m ...more

Jacques McKeown (2 books)
  • Will Destroy the Galaxy for Cash (Jacques McKeown, #2)

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...
“Originally it had had two settings: Stun and Kill. These had proved inadequate against the ridiculously well-armored skin of monsters from particularly rough planets, so I'd found a way to tinker with the built-in limitations. The dial now had a third setting, labeled with the handwritten words 'Solve All Immediate Problems.” 3 likes
“Oh, traccy traccy ply ply bracket doints and divs” 2 likes