Start by marking “Instructions For Flight” as Want to Read:
Instructions For Flight

Instructions For Flight

Civil rights, people who smile at strangers, and the fear of public speaking are just a few of the topics tackled in this book. With four sections of diverse poems, INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLIGHT is Kate I. Foley’s debut poetry collection.
Published January 31st 2017

To ask other readers questions about Instructions For Flight, please sign up.
Kate I. Foley Yes! If you click on the Amazon link, you can read the first three poems! :)

Sasha
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate I. Foley
Kate I. Foley’s debut poetry collection took my breath away. The language was rich in beautiful metaphors and similes, repetition and rhyme were used perfectly. I always find that when I read a good poetry book, I start speaking with line breaks, and this one certainly had that effect.
Instructions For Flight discusses important issues in a unique and stunning way. It explores love, hate and fear using gorgeous imagery and eloquent language.

Kate shows pure love and emotion in a bare and truthfu
Kate I. Foley
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author, so obviously I'm biased, but I think it's a pretty cool collection of poetry. ;)
Boquinha
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am positively blown away by this collection of poetry. Kate's ability to capture emotions and feelings through words and imagery is a sign not only of her talent, but also her hard work and determination. Every one of these poems had something different to offer. From the very first "short and sweet" section, I was invited in and enchanted.

While I enjoyed every single poem for different reasons, my jaw was positively on the floor with "Instructions for Flight." I do not even know where to beg
Mark Foley
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short, but powerful read.

Kate Foley has put together an interesting and insightful collection of poems that will speak to readers of all kinds. I especially enjoyed her works regarding civil rights and equality. Kate's writing shows a maturity about her place in the world and what it means to crave equal rights for all.

But the title work, "Instructions for Flight," is easily her best entry in the entire collection. Written in several sections, it is poignant and deep. It took a sec
Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas)
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, reviewed
(Full disclosure: I recieved a free copy of Instructions for Flight. This has in no way affected my review.)

There's a bit of everything in here. Poems that are less than five lines long. Poems that tackle complex social issues. Poems that deal with self-confidence. To cover all of it in this review would be to write the equivilant of a novella, so instead I'm just going to focus on a couple of my favourites.

I enjoyed To Beautiful Disasters because of the pacing. The short, snappy lines are peppe
Jessica
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was nervous going into reading this because, for reasons that have to do with Shel Silverstein, poetry to me means it has to rhyme. Nevertheless, I enjoyed myself thoroughly with this poetry collection.

Specifically, my favorites were: Why We Write, Stage Freight, Life Today, What Can't Be Seen, The Simplest Thing, and, the title of the collection, Instructions for Flight. Each one was unique in its own way and carried the author's beautiful turn of phrase throughout.

One of the things I loved
Lara Liz
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 4-star
FULL DISCLOSURE - I received a free pdf copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I think
I'm going to review
Instructions for Flight in verse.

Free verse.
'Cos it sounds like fun.

Won't be as good as Kate's poetry,
That's for sure.
But I can try -
right?

I'll be honest.
I didn't like every single poem.
(There were a lot; we all have different tastes)
One
In
Particular
Dear Dr King
Struck me as a little ... forced?
I think it was the rhyming?

But the others.
Wow.
Kate has this skill.
This ab
Selena (Life of a Random)
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hovering between 3.5 and 4 stars. (heh I'll try to be more specific in the review to come)
Elizabeth Chesak
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! Am writing a review to post on my blog later this week! :)
Danielle
Feb 22, 2019
J.H. Breger
is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2019
Kate I. Foley is a 19-year-old author, actress, daydreamer, voracious reader, introvert, feminist, klutz, fangirl, and overuser of tape. She is the author of INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLIGHT as well as a contributor to the FAUXPOCALYPSE anthology and the book THE AUDACITY TO BE A WRITER. You can follow her on Twitter at @Magic_Violinist or visit her blog at themagicviolinist.blogspot.com.