Start by marking “Allie and Bea” as Want to Read:
Allie and Bea

Allie and Bea

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  21,515 ratings  ·  1,645 reviews
Bea has barely been scraping by since her husband died. After falling for a telephone scam, she loses everything and is forced to abandon her trailer. With only two-thirds of a tank in her old van, she heads toward the Pacific Ocean with her cat—on a mission to reclaim what’s rightfully hers, even if it means making others pay for what she lost.

When fifteen-year-old Allie’
Published May 23rd 2017 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Allie and Bea, please sign up.

·  21,515 ratings  ·  1,645 reviews

Start your review of Allie and Bea
Always Pouting
Bea has been trying to keep her finances in order after her husband died but no matter how thin she spreads the money her saving seem to dwindle endlessly. Then when she falls for a phone scam and loses the last of her money and that month's social security she decides to take off on the road. Leaving most of her belongings behind her, except her cat, she heads out to try and figure out a way to get by. Allie's parents get arrested for tax evasion, landing her in a group home. Allie's idealistic ...more
Sarah Joint
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very pleasant book. I wanted something light, and about 30 percent in I was so terrified for both of the characters I wasn't sure I was going to get it. It did lighten up significantly after that, but it's not always sunshine and roses. I really ended up liking both characters and their unlikely friendship. A great quick read, would be a perfect vacation book.

Bea has already lost her husband, but now she's lost everything. Thanks to a telephone scam that cleaned out her bank account, she's fl
Cindy Burnett
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Catherine Hyde Ryan writes beautiful books with relevant and important messages imparted to the reader without seeming preachy in the least. What a fabulous skill to have! As Allie and Bea begins, Bea, a tough woman in her seventies, has been fleeced of her remaining money by a con man. Left with few options, Bea decides to live in her van and make her way up the coast of California to try and find a place to reside. Meanwhile, Allie, a strong-willed teenager, has just been thrown into the CPS s ...more
Tudor Vlad
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
“Seems all my life I had to make choices between what I considered wasting money and what I now see was wasting my life. If it keeps you from wasting your life, it can’t very well be a waste, now can it?”

It doesn’t happen very often for me to see a book and immediately think “this is exactly what I need right now” and be absolutely certain that I’m going to love it, but this is what happened when I saw Allie and Bea. I recently read a lot of heavy and depressing books with questionable chara
Lisa Vegan
I really liked this book. (Thanks, Laura, for suggesting it.) Such great storytelling, such two endearing, wonderful main characters, and many other interesting and well-drawn characters. I read it quickly because whenever I could I read; I didn’t want to put it down, including choosing it over all other free time recreational activities.

There were some unbelievable and unrealistic events, and a few large story/plot holes. And not just toward and at the end but from the start through the end, b
Carole
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, you can't go wrong with choosing a book by Catherine Ryan Hyde.
Immediately I fell I love with the characters, Allie & Bea. The 2 are an unlikely pair. A young teenage girl who gets taken from her parents into protective custody, and an elderly widow who has fallen for a scam and lost everything. They meet up after Allie runs away from some scary situations, and they embark on a journey up the west coast along with Bea's cat, Phyliss. Allie is extremely honest and Bea is a bit jaded a
Agnes (BookBubbe)
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-stars
What a heartwarming story. Bea who becomes homeless and lives in her van. Allie whose parents are arrested and she is put in a group home. Two separate lives who meet up when Allie runs away from the terrible things that happen in the home.

This unlikely couple become friends, travelling together....their adventure makes you believe in the kindness of human nature as they meet so many helpful people; and the ending will make you smile.

Love Catherine Ryan Hyde - never get tired of her books.
Sherri Thacker
This is my 2nd book by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I loved her book Take Me With You and gave it 5 stars so I had high hopes for this one. This book is pretty good. I felt like it started off slow but once both Allie and Bea got together, it picked up speed! It’s a beautiful story and how the 2 formed a bond and the friendships they made along the way. If it hadn’t been slow in spots, I would give it 5 stars but I’m giving it 4 stars.
Amy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

4.5/5

I think we’ve all read plenty of books about characters that are down on their luck and struggling to get back on their feet, but in Allie and Bea both title characters are truly fighting for survival, there is nothing cutesy or whimsical about their situations, things are drastic, life threatening even. But don’t be mistaken, as much as this book deals with some heavy themes, at it’s core it’s uplifting and a story of hope and how small
4.5 stars. I didn't want this book to ever end.

Synopsis: A 15 yo girl and a 70-something widow both find themselves homeless, and soon after, their paths cross. They help each other along and impact each other's lives in ways neither expected.

Catherine Ryan Hyde also wrote the book "Pay it Forward" (the GR links aren't working), which became one of my favorite films. I've read another of her books, "Chasing Windmills", which was also excellent.

At this point, I'd read anything she wrote. She k
Judy D Collins
Master storyteller, Catherine Ryan Hyde returns following Say Good-Bye for Now landing on my Top 50 Books of 2016 with another emotional thought-provoking saga ALLIE AND BEA – two protagonists from different generations caught up an unfair system find they may learn something from one another.

The best and worst of humanity.

Bea a senior barely making it on her small social security check. Her husband is deceased and she resides in a mobile home with her cat Phyllis. Her savings is nearly d
angela clinton
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very pleasant read

This was a very easy read. The characters kept me interested throughout the story. Really enjoyed the book and will recommend it to my friends.
Nancy
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When I have been reading a lot of 'heavy' books and need to lift my spirit to remember that good things can happen in this world of trials and conflict, I am glad to have Catherine Ryan Hyde to turn to. Her newest book, Allie and Bea, did not disappoint.

Hyde's books have a common thread: imperfect people with real life problems, often mired in anger or despair, are lifted through an empowering, healthy relationship.

This novel begins with Bea, a widow in her senior years, living on Social Securi
Rhonda Ruff
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a drawing from Catherine Ryan Hyde! Loved it! Such a good story and very likeable characters. This story had a hea which was just what i was looking for right now .
***Book Lady ***
4 1/2 stars! A wonderful story about and older lady Bea and a 15 year old young girl, Allie. It's their interaction and growth that was beautiful to experience. I loved this book!
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This has been my favorite book by Catherine Ryan Hyde so far. I will admit I wasn't sure if I was going to like the book when I first started. Bea was not that likable at the beginning. By the end, I was crying.

Bea is a widower with not much money in the bank. Then she is scammed for what little money she has left. So she decides to pack up her toothless, old cat and live in her old van. Bea is not a friendly old woman, she is gruff and speaks her mind. Allie is a fifteen year old girl who find
Christine Nolfi
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This captivating tale will capture you from page one. Allie and Bea are the most unlikely people to become friends, let alone family. On a journey rife with danger, and sweetened by several heartwarming turns, they forge a bond than transcends age or class distinctions. Highly recommended.
Shalini
This is my first book by this author. Story was very unusual; a 70 year old Bea loses all her life savings by a telephone scammer. After her husband's death, life has been a struggle for her, so this was the last straw, so she takes off on the road. Allie's parents are jailed for tax evasion; to escape a dangerous situation, Allie runs away. And kismet plays a hand, throws these 2 unlikely characters together and they go on a road trip, where they teach each other some lessons of life
The author,
Debbie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The thing I like about Catherine Ryan Hyde novels is I am assured of a happy ending. The characters may face some tough times and difficult choices, but in the end everything works out fine. Sometimes I need to read a book like that. Allie and Bea followed this general outline. Bea is an elderly widow who has been scammed of the little savings she has left in the bank and no longer has money for rent or electricity. She figures her social security check will cover her expenses if she lives in he ...more
Caryn
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review and giveaway on my blog: http://www.thebookwhisperer.org/2017/... ...more
Lori
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely loved this book! I feel like I've been on an adventure right there with Allie and Bea and now it's over and it makes me sad!
Anya
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top5-inmy-heart
"Where are we going?" "The ocean" "Oh, good, I didn't think you'd wanna do that. I thought you'd think it was a waist of gas." "I'm changing my mid about what's waistful and what's not - Bee said - seems all my life I've had to make choices between what I considered waisting money and what I now see was waisting my life. If it keeps you from waisting your life it can't very well be a waist now, can it?" (From chapter 26)

Wow, I loved that book! At first I was not so sure I would.. I could not sta
Marleen
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A most endearing read about two unlikely characters who become travel buddies for a short duration. For very different reasons, both Bea and Allie are forced to leave their familiar lives and find themselves “on the road”. I will not go into the whys because that would be giving away spoilers, but let me just say that they are very special circumstances; however both very real, which could happen to all of us.
I thought that the characters were quite recognizable; they had authentic fears and tho
Donna
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this. I read my first book by this author yesterday and I liked it. So I read this one today. I didn't like it as much as the other one, but what I liked the most was how this author develops her characters. They were all so unique and she puts them into complicated relationships. They are also heartwarming and they are trying to make an effort to actually LIVE their life.

I liked the old woman-teenager relationship. However, some of the things were just too pretty....the people were ju
Harvee
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two vagabonds escape from unpleasant circumstances and have a grand adventure on the California and NW coast, traveling on an old bus turned camper. They are Allie, age 15, and Bea, age 70 plus. Delightful.
Liza Fireman
This is a sweet book. It is simple, it is cute, it is kind of chick-lit, but not the usual type. Actually, it was funny because the name made me immediately think about the grade school series Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows that my daughter loved loved loved when she was younger (I did not read it, but it was about two good friends). This is also a story about two women, who become friends, very good friend.

Bea is a lady in her 70s. Her husbands died a few years ago and she has very little money.
Victoria
I'd always meant to read more of Hyde's work after loving Have You Seen Luis Velez? Her altruistic philosophy is what my heart was asking for right now. A story of two people who view the world in black and white and are suddenly forced to see shades of grey, in others and within themselves, while accepting the kindness of strangers, felt like the right read at the right time.

Bea has been beaten down by life, a scammer takes her last dime and she is forced into homelessness. Teenage Allie has b
Books and Spoons
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When I was offered Allie and Bea to read for a review I didn't hesitate for a minute. Pay It Forward, the author's previous book, changed my life, and how I look at life, and to have the chance to be part of this virtual tour for Allie and Bea is an honor that I humbly accepted.
And the journey Allie and Bea take, both mentally and physically, astonished me with the realistic and sober look at life, and how easy it is to shatter the frames of the life we live, rarely with a little care or though
Deanna Lynn Sletten
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Bea is an elderly woman living month-to-month on her Social Security check and barely able to make ends meet. When she is scammed out of the last of her money, she devises a plan: she’ll pack up her van and live as best she can on the road. But she’s decided that the world owes her now, and as far as she’s concerned, anything goes.

Allie’s parents are arrested and she is left to fend for herself in a group home. Allie isn’t street-wise, so living within the system is difficult for her to understa
Jessi
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bea has lost her husband, been scammed out of her remaining funds, and is now leaving everything she's owned to live in her van. Allie's world is filled upside down when she's forced to live in a group home and when things get even worse... she runs away. Allie and Bea was a heartwarming and emotional read about two unlikely characters! I loved the writing, the story and pace of it, the characters, and the relationships that formed pretty much out of necessity. This is a great beach read!

Full R
LaPura Cream: helps in removing wrinkles 1 2 Jan 03, 2020 11:32PM
Beaute Lift Serum 1 7 Aug 18, 2017 05:25AM
Play Book Tag: Allie and Bea by Catherine Ryan Hyde -3 stars 1 11 Jun 30, 2017 02:40PM
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2017.21: Allie and Bea 2 29 May 26, 2017 07:58PM

• Floating Twigs
  • True to Me (By the Sea)
  • Postcards From a Stranger
  • The Family Journal
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • The Banty House
  • Golden Poppies
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir

News & Interviews

“That’s how most of the last fifty years of my life disappeared, even though I didn’t know it before now. And believe me, that’s all it takes. One little kiss and then you’ve thrown your lot in with someone, and your whole life has to be built around him. And all the parts of you that don’t fit with him have to go into hiding, and all the ones that do have to come to the surface and act like they’re the whole of you. The” 4 likes
“I’ve had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.” 1 likes