Start by marking “Creating Moments of Joy Along the Alzheimer's Journey: A Guide for Families and Caregivers, Fifth Edition, Revised and Expanded” as Want to Read:

The beloved best seller has been revised and expanded for the fifth edition. Jolene Brackey has a vision: that we will soon look beyond the challenges of Alzheimer's disease to focus more of our energies on creating moments of joy. When people have short-term memory loss, their lives are made up of moments. We are not able to create perfectly wonderful days for people with ...more
Published November 15th 2016 by Purdue University Press

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Moments of Joy Along the Alzheimer's Journey

Start your review of Creating Moments of Joy Along the Alzheimer's Journey: A Guide for Families and Caregivers, Fifth Edition, Revised and Expanded
Michelle Jerome
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the most human book I have ever read. Don’t wait until your life is affected by Alzheimer’s. Read this book now. Trust me you will find value.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This is a good book for practical knowledge on Alzheimer's, especially for caregivers who have no idea what to do. I read this for my practicum in hospice since I'm doing a project for the agency on Alzheimer's. The only cons for this book are that it felt really sexist at times. I think it's just my lens, but it really got annoying reading the stereotypical sexist things. It made me feel like all people with Alzheimer's are sexist, but it's definitely not the case. Just an annoyance that ...more
Kathi
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
An easy to read book of suggestions and anecdotes for caregivers, both family and professional, of people with Alzheimer’s disease. Somewhat repetitive, and very focused on moderate to late-stage disease. A few too many sweeping generalizations but written with a lot of heart, humor, and compassion.
Jsarno49
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an informative and helpful book for any caretaker. Brackey writes in a very warm and compassionate tone, and she includes many primary accounts. Her general advice is to recognize where the person is along her journey of the disease, (or, in my Mom's case, simply old age) and respond lovingly and supportively. Brackey also reminds all caregivers to not only be gentle with the older adults, but also with themselves. I love this quote from the Buddha: "You, yourself, as much as anybody in ...more
Laura Wiebe
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
a book of hope.
so helpful to understand what is going on and to realize that regardless of the circumstances, we can bring joy to others.
struggling with loving someone with dementia can be overwhelming, but this book provided a multitude of little things we can do to make a difference and feel a little less out-of-control.
Holly
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
If only every care facility had stacks of this book available to families and caregivers of Alzheimer's patients. Totally worth the read. Gave me comfort on hard days and insights I may never had considered.
Sam
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a caretaker for over two years, I have read a number of books that provide guidance on what I should do and what we need to plan for. This was one of my favorites, and I recommended it to all of the adults in our family and members of a Alzheimer's Support Group that I go to. Although the book spends a lot of time on what caretakers at nursing homes or memory units should do and plan for, most of the discussion can still be used by caretakers in the home. It also provides insight for how ...more
Sherry
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY Must Read!!

Informative beyond measure; filled with insightful tips and touching stories. Read the entire book or just chapters that speak to you. I highly recommend--especially the chapter on visiting! I was surprised to learn I've probably been feeding her underlying stress and fear, but so thankful that I'm learning how to create joy for my loved one.
Brad
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me after attending a dementia seminar. It’s a very easy read with a lot of useful information and simple ideas, many of which I have used with my mother. Dementia is difficult to deal with unless you are armed with some basic information of what to expect. This book really helps in that regard.
Marta G.
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Užitečná kniha, která se výborně čte. Jako laikovi mi moc pomohla v náhledu na to, co nemocní potřebují. Není důležité to, co si myslím já, co je obvyklé, co se tzv. "hodí", ale to, jak se cítí nemocný. Přeji všem, kteří o takto postižené blízké i svěřené pečují, hodně trpělivosti, citu a lásky. A překvapivě i humoru.
Sharon A. Huley
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Muggsie

I'm dealing with so much of what book describes and it has been very helpful in my understanding of how my husband is acting.
My daughter recommended this book to help me and I thank her very much.
Linda
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Greet each day without expectations or preconceived notions. Don't focus on what your loved one has lost. Become the crazy caregiver; do whatever it takes to create moments of joy. Far too soon those moments will become memories. I can talk the talk because I've walked the walk.
Jason
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great information which I will use and look back on often. While a reality for us, each day I see, read and hear about hope coming from the research and trials. I’m proud of my mom (and Dad) for participating in a trial (even if it drove her nuts ). ...more
Julie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hospice, nonfiction
I like this author's kind and practical approach to caring for Alzheimer's patients. However, she's a bit sexist, and her stereotypic examples are off-putting. There are good suggestions for caregivers in this book, but one has to overlook some poor writing and the cultural bias.
Michael Ambruster
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you for this book.

At this time, I am able to be closer with my Mom. Creating our moments of joy one visit, one phone call at a time.
Cari Niesen
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening

A very informative book. I wish I would have read it five years ago. It helped me immensely with my mom.
Nancy Byron
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely helpful insight and strategies for those caring for someone with Alzheimer's. Highly recommend this!
Dana Opperman
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has very good advice about many situations that a person faces when caring for someone with dementia. I wish I had read it sooner.
Joel McHale
Jul 12, 2019
Karen Robinson
May 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Lineage of Grace  (Lineage of Grace #1- 5)
  • Note to Self: Inspiring Figures Write to the Young People they Once Were
  • When Your Parent Becomes Your Child: A Journey of Faith Through My Mother's Dementia
  • Brain Gym--Teacher's Edition
  • Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All in Your Head
  • Jesus Today: Experience Hope Through His Presence
  • The Scarlet Thread
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • For Young Men Only: A Guy's Guide to the Alien Gender
  • The Warrior (The Herod Chronicles, #1)
  • For Women Only in the Workplace: What You Need to Know about How Men Think at Work
  • For Parents Only: Getting Inside the Head of Your Kid
  • Legacy of the King's Pirates Collection (Legacy of the King's Pirates #1-4)
  • Anonymous: Jesus' Hidden Years ... and Yours
  • Essential Liberty
  • The Hag (The Bloodletter Collections Book 2)
  • Harvester: A Thrilling Small Town Urban Horror (The Bloodletter Saga Book 7)
  • Nightshade: A Thrilling Small Town Urban Horror (The Bloodletter Series Book 6)
“There are times when we cannot function and we need to withdraw and regroup. There are situations that we know we cannot handle. In spite of all the pushing and urging of friends and family who insist that we will have a wonderful time, the patient senses that it will lead to his mental devastation. If I do not listen to my body and withdraw from the overstimulation, it takes several days for my intellectual abilities to return. This is very frightening because I can’t help wondering each time this happens if I’ve pushed myself totally over the line of no return.” 0 likes