Start by marking “Love Kills: A Britt Montero Novel” as Want to Read:
Love Kills: A Britt Montero Novel

Love Kills: A Britt Montero Novel (Craig Burch #3)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  387 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
"Where the hell is Britt Montero?"

So says Sgt. Craig Burch of Miami's Cold Case Squad at the end of the first chapter of Edna Buchanan's new novel, Love Kills. So have readers been wondering since reporter Britt Montero vanished after her lover, homicide cop Kendall McDonald, was killed three books ago in Buchanan's The Ice Maiden.

When a bulldozer in the Everglades une
Published April 29th 2008 by Pocket Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Love Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Kills

Book Concierge
This is book # 3 in the Craig Burch series featuring the Miami Cold Case Squad. But it is also part of the Britt Montero series.

When a skull is unearthed by a bulldozer at a development site the Cold Case Squad gets assigned the case. Seems that Spencer York, a notorious child-snatcher and self-described champion of divorced fathers, didn’t just skip out on his bail. The hole in the back of his skull clearly indicates that he was murdered and buried wrapped in a tarp. Fortunately his wallet surv
Betsy
Jul 19, 2007 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe I am required by law to continue reading Edna Buchanan's books, even though her last few haven't been as good as the first Britt Montero ones. I always giggle over the fact that I'm sure Britt is Edna's alter ego, and Britt is as close to sainthood as a living human can get.
Ed
May 12, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reporter, crime
#9 in the Britt Montero series. This 2007 entry has ties to the Cold Case series, as does #8 The Ice Maiden (2002). Britt Montero, Miami newspaper reporter, covers the police beat.

Britt Montero spent grieving time after the death of her fiancé. She returns to find that the Cold Case Squad wants to talk to her about a kidnapper she interviewed before he disappeared - until his skull reappeared in a swamp. She also gets involved in the tragic death of a woman on her honeymoon and her distraught hu
Bonnie
Apr 09, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent author discovered. Edna Buchanan's Love Kills had me laughing out loud. When a bulldozer in the Everglades turns up a man's skull, everyone says, "So that's what happened to the infamous child snatcher!" The book is divided into two different story lines, Britt and Closed Case
Squad that investigates the found skull belonging to a man who abducted children for fathers who resented women having custody, for a nice fee, of course. Britt is an investigative reporter who has recentl
LJ
LOVE KILLS (Lic. Invest/Pol. Proc, Miami, FL, Cont) – G+
Buchanan, Edna – 16th book
Simon & Schuster, 2007, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780743294768
First Sentence: Operating the huge machine that groaned and howled like a prehistoric monster as it savaged everything in its path was what he enjoyed most about the job.
***Reporter Britt Montero was the last person to see an infamous kidnapper alive. Now that his skull has been uncovered by a bulldozer, the Cold Case Squad, headed by Lt. K.C. Riley, wan
Kay
May 21, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemed to be two books in one but with the connection of characters the two tied in quite well together. I enjoyed the twists and turns, especially when one of the turns turned into a shocker, but was very disappointed in the ending. I needed to have some ends tied up.
Barbara
Mar 12, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, novel
Miami cold cases and crime reporter Britt uncovers a serial bridegroom murderer.
Chris
Feb 02, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Buchanan comes up with two interesting storylines and two unexpected (if slightly unrealistic) twists but her dialogue and writing style are not very smooth. One detective speaks Spanish and immediately translates himself into English, for no apparent reason. The point of view switches between reporter Britt Montero, the series's main character, and the Cold Case Squad, each working on two separate cases. Fans of the series may enjoy the developing relationships between the characters but, on it ...more
Maggie
Nov 08, 2007 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who follow the Britt Montero series
Shelves: mystery-series
It is the lastest Britt Montero novel. She's a crime reporter in Miami and is just getting back to the job after her finance, a cop, is killed on the job hours after getting back from the vacation where he proposed. I liked it and it was good to get back with the character (there are a number of previous novels with her) but on the last page after getting the crime wrapped up she left us practically mid sentence in a medical emergency with Britt that came about from wrapping up the crime. I'm st ...more
Marti
Apr 07, 2011 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a rather good read. I don't recall reading the previous books about Britt Montero. It turns out that her late fiance left her pregnant, and she has to get back to writing for the Miami newspaper so she has a living. She and a friend found a camera with pictures of newlyweds who disappeared off a boat in a storm. The husband survives, and is revealed to be a man who is a serial murderer of newlywed wives. Interesting premise.
Brenda Benoit
Finally the return of Britt! I liked this book although the ending really left us hanging with the next book not coming out until 2017 sometime. There really were two stories in one but I love the Cold Case Squad guys so I really didn't mind. The chase scene with Corso and Navario was absolutely hilarious - if it could go wrong, it did. I love this series and I'm glad that Edna Buchanan is going to continue it.
Shannon
Oct 09, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So disappointed - this started out great but what a fizzled ending. Yes, there was a slight surprise toward the end but it was completely out of the blue and odd. This is listed as part of the Cold Case Squad series but that part of the book was weak and thin and added nothing to the story. There was great potential for the journalist looking for a serial killer of brides but it just didn't come to fruition.
Carol
Sep 08, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the character of Britt Montero - she has grit. Britt has been missing from action since the policeman she was engaged to died. When a cold case is opened on a man she was the last person to see alive becomes active she is enticed to come back to Miami and work. But another case catches her attention all because of a camera she found while she was away and this case nearly takes her life!
Kip
Jun 09, 2009 Kip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 09summerreading
I've always liked the Britt Montero series, and was happy to find that there was a newish title I hadn't read. While I still find Buchanan's the most enjoyable of the Miami-based mysteries, I found myself slapping my head a few times over plot holes and dunderheaded decisions, and I suspect the author only knows about pregnancy from a few afternoons of surfing Babycenter.com.
Gramy
Britt is a reporter with a Miami newspaper. She works the crime beat. Britt works with the cold case squad and risks her life traveling to another state trying to save an innocent person from uncertain death. It is a pleasant shock when K.C. Riley, a previous rival at the police department, steps in to help Britt out when she needs it most.
Kate
Jun 06, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Former journalist Edna Buchanan writes about Miami like a true native. The story goes back and forth from the point of view of Britt Montero, crime reporter, and the cold case squad of the Miami police department. Lots of twists and turns along the way to finding the killer.

My first Britt Montero novel, but it won't be my last.

Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing Characters: Britt Montero and Cold Case Squad; two stories linked together loosely - Cold Case squad works to solve just discovered murder of man who used to steal kids to bring them to their divorced fathers; Britt chases a groom who has killed 6 brides on their honeymoon
Sheila
Mar 19, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is # 9 in the Britt Montero series. Britt finds herself on the case of the murderous bridegroom when she uncovers that the groom has lost several wives on their honeymmoons due to bizarre "accidents". Her tracking os the groom is somewhat hendered by her pregnancy. Good story.
Colleen
Sep 22, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about this author so I just picked a book off the shelf at the library. Unfortunately, it's part of a series and there must have been several books before it. I still liked it. It was an compelling mystery book with no sex or swearing. Yeah!
Edie
Mar 14, 2012 Edie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Buchanan's other Britt Montero mysteries years ago, and just found the last two. This is apparently the last one, and it lleaves you hanging. Did Britt die in the accident? I hate when this happens!
Bj
Really a page turner. This would make a great vacation book but you can finish it in a day or two! A real cliffhanger ending, and it was written in 2007 with no subsequent Britt Montero books yet!
Barbara B.
Just read back to back Buchanan novels-----this one with character Britt Montero, Miami police beat reporter. Always anxious for the next novel so I can find out how she's doing after this adventure!
Lynett Heritz
Once I find a character I feel that I have to follow up on her life. Britt and her friend Lottie will keep you coming back. Nothing deep, just good mysteries.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I would have given this 3 stars if it weren't for the ending. There IS no ending! It just ends in the middle of the story!
La Tisha
Didn't realize this was part of a series but I really liked it. Think I might go back and read the rest of the series.
Linda
Jul 13, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not one of Edna Buchanan's best. Started out with a good mystery theme & went downhill in the last chapters.
Mary Kay
Jul 17, 2008 Mary Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There were enough twists and turns to be satisfying.
Kris
Jan 31, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, laugh-out-loud funny in a few places, leaves you hanging at the end.
Mommalibrarian
Apr 26, 2009 Mommalibrarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
solid writing. Good main character and secondaries also. Top notch action.
Shirley
Nov 08, 2008 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Always like Edna Buchanan, and this one I thought especially good.
  • Everglades Assault
  • Polished Off (Charlotte LaRue Mystery #3)
  • Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • The Last Best Hope
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings (Mrs. Jeffries, #26)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • Dolled Up to Die (The Cate Kincaid Files, #2)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • Vigilante (Shane Scully, #11)
  • From Bad to Wurst (Passport to Peril #10)
  • Octopus Alibi: An Alex Rutledge Mystery
  • To Love and To Perish (Broken Vows, #4)
  • The Secret Lives of the Sushi Club
  • Dior or Die (Vintage Clothing,  #2)
  • Textual Relations (Gotcha Detective Agency Mysteries, #2)
  • Unhinged (Crazy, #4)
  • Not a Monster of a Chance (A Scumble River Mystery, #2.5)
Edna Buchanan knew she wanted to be a writer since she was 4 years old. She moved to Florida where she got a job at a small newspaper. Ms. Buchanan became a reporter for the Miami Beach Daily Sun in the late 1960s.

In 1970, she was hired as a general assignment and police-beat reporter at the Miami Herald. In 1973, Ms. Buchanan became a police beat reporter, which coincided with the rise of Miami
More about Edna Buchanan...

Craig Burch (3 books)
  • Cold Case Squad (Craig Burch, #1)
  • Shadows (Craig Burch, #2)