Start by marking “A War like Ours” as Want to Read:
A War like Ours

A War like Ours

A liar…

Three weeks ago, James Maxwell’s wife died in a car accident, but he hasn’t been able to tell his five-year old daughter the heartbreaking truth behind her mother's death. Instead, he packs them up and leaves for a summer resort in upstate New York to spend a few peaceful weeks and to gradually break the news. But a spirited and outspoken maid at the resort has figu
ebook
Published February 24th 2017 by The Wild Rose Press Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A War like Ours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A War like Ours

Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦
4.5 Stars!!

Saffron A. Kent’s debut novel is simply enthralling. I like nothing more than to be blown away by a debut author and this author totally accomplished just that. She managed to captivate me from the beginning with her amazing writing and her engrossing storytelling. 'A War Like Ours' is fantastically written. It’s compelling, unique and addictive. It’s an unconventional story that kept me immersed from beginning until the end. I couldn’t put it down for one minute - that’s how much I

Jennifer Kyle
Feb 23, 2017 Jennifer Kyle rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.75-4 STARS

description

Wow I’m completely blown away that this is the author’s debut novel. The story was extremely well written, am I’m interested to hear where the author got the idea for the plot, these characters, and the setting.

Please take the author’s warning very seriously as this was a hard/painful read for me. I found the characters’ misery and self-harming ways at times unsettling. Though the storytelling is extremely strong and I was eager to see where the author was bringing these damaged ch
Anna's Ramblings ツ
This book seems amazing.

But definitely NOT for me.

I completely misinterpreted what this book was about. My laziness and hastiness have finally caught up on me. This is what happens when you pick up a book based on the cover and the title (yes, I can be superficial like that). I should have carefully read the blurb and the reviews before starting it.

I’m sorry…. I just can’t read it anymore, the subject matter and the tone of the book are way too disturbing and depressing for me. I did reach the
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
RATING: 4.5 Pain Hearts!! <3 :D
description

A War Like Ours is a dark and unconventional story, one that weighs heavily on our minds and hearts as we’re taken out of our comfort zones, yet enthralled by both Madison and James’ painful lives. Nothing about this debut sings a familiar tune, their story compulsively readable, and we find ourselves turning the last page before it feels as though any time has passed.

Both Madison and James are a study in extremes: strong mentally and physically as survivors of
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

Pre-order: Coming soon!
Blurb:
Aɤɩ

4.5 completely fucked up stars

Before I talk about the book, I just want to say that this is one book I would really heed the warning too. It's very dark, and not just because it contains non-consensual sex, and rape, but also because of the entire tone of the book. It's very disturbing, and even to someone who mostly reads dark romance like I do. And that is not a warning I give out very easily, so please keep that in mind before reading the book. Strong trigger warning.

Well I felt like that
~ Stéphanie ~ Tied up in Romance ~

description

I can't really believe this is Saffron first novel! This is so accomplished, the writing style is rich, the characters are complex and the storyline is quite original.

“I told you to stay out of this. I asked you to. Why didn’t you listen to me?” "What do you want, Madison? Why do you keep coming back?”
He squeezed my bicep, making me flinch. “Do you want me to hurt you?”

This is not really a traditional love story. Saffron said so herself she doesn't write that way. So you know from the s
S.M. West
Feb 14, 2017 S.M. West rated it it was amazing
5+++ STARS

What? A Debut novel? No way!

This book. Damn, this book is original through and through, and I mean that in the most positive way possible. It's unlike anything you've ever read before and so worth the read! I promise you, it'll leave a lasting impression on you. I love reading unique romance stories that tug at my heart and mess with my brain. This is one of those books!

"Love that destroyed everything.
Love that felt like a war."

Saffron's writing is superb, her characters are compl
Saffron
Jan 27, 2017 Saffron rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well I love it because I wrote it. Hope you love it too!
Nazanin
Feb 26, 2017 Nazanin rated it liked it
Shelves: dark, 2017
3 Pain Stars

I think I should stop reading books with unusual relationships. Okay, just for a while! These books play with my feelings. I don’t know I enjoy them or not. I read a few of these books and enjoyed most of them but this one was a little harsh for me! Actually, I’m not good with (view spoiler)

Madison is a hater. She hates everything that is around her. she is an addict, not to drugs but to sadness. Because of her mother
Lillian ᴥᴥᴥ SO LYLY
***** 3.5 Stars *****

Because of her past, Madison doesn't trust men. She believes all of them are greedy and selfish. So even though she has an unexplainable attraction to James, she refuses to let him inside her heart.

James has a deep and dark secret. He plans on coming clean at a peaceful resort, but his lies just keep getting bigger with each passing day. He's damaged and broken. But whenever he is near Madison, some of the pain and confusion fades away.

Nothing can stop the chemistry. Not e
Eda** # Dax Lahn's Golden Tigress  #
** 4.5-5 “debut books always ROCK” STARS **

Well I've already explained my feelings to the author herself, so here you go:

description

This is just the beginning of your journey Bestie, keep up the good work! :)

** ARC provided by the author aka my lovely bestie Saffron! **
Kindling Micky
Mar 06, 2017 Kindling Micky rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-review, blog
This was a dark read cataloging the serendipitous meeting of two characters James and Madison with shared, yet different pain. This book revolves around multiple aspects of pain both physical and metaphysical. A WAR LIKE OURS was a twisty, unusual book that difficult to read at times due to the fragmented characters and relationships. Yet I found myself unable to look away.

Madison is in a relationship with Julia; Madison being the dependant and Julia the fixer. Madison is crippled emotionally by
Faith Andrews
Feb 01, 2017 Faith Andrews rated it it was amazing
Whoa. Like WHOA! What I just read...whoa!

As you can tell, I'm kind of speechless, but let's start at the beginning, because that's where all great stories start. I'll admit, I am not a blurb reader. I take recommendations, I listen to the buzz, I judge a book by its cover or pick it up because it's written by a favorite author of mine. In comes Saffron A. Kent and A War Like Ours.

Debut author, catching cover, recommended by a fellow respected author. So guess what I did...I broke my rule and r
Ellen at Book Bellas
What an outstanding debut!! Sexy and intense and messy. If you're expecting a hearts and flowers romance, then find another book! James and Madison's painful story completely captivated me.

A War Like Ours is a compelling, gritty and enthralling book. Once I started I could not put it down! I love stories where the main protagonists are imperfect characters. James and Madison make poor choices in their lives, but somehow the author makes it all seem very believable and just plain real. Also: the
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Feb 24, 2017 Jenny - TotallybookedBlog rated it really liked it
description

“You push me and push me and push me. Every single moment with you is a battle.”
“You’re right. Every moment with us is a battle. A war. And I’m going to win this war, James. You’re going to lose.”

Well wow, we may be lost for words. A War Like Ours is the debut novel by Saffron A Kent and it completely turned us inside out. You know those books that shock you, yet compel you, because they’re so unexpected. The kind of book that you just know is going to be a marmite book. Well this is it. We st
Autumn
Feb 24, 2017 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Madison Smith has more than enough reasons to hate men. She watched as they abused her mother until finally taking her life. Now starting all over in the small town of Hedge Lake, she’s barely keeping her demons at bay. She longs for the oblivion offered by her girlfriend and by working herself into physical exhaustion.

Until everything she thought she knew is changed by precocious little girl and her father who hides painful secrets behind his eyes.

Back at home, I swallowed Julia’s love in the
Soulla Georgiou
Feb 28, 2017 Soulla Georgiou rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book and what I loved most about it, is that it took me totally out of my comfort zone.

If you're expecting hearts and flowers, then this probably isn't the book for you. I am normally a huge fan of hearts and flowers, but I am so pleased that I read this wonderful story.

It is a raw and disturbing tale of how two very broken souls meet. Two souls who are so damaged, that you wonder if they can ever be fixed.

It is dark and angsty and sexy and almost difficult to read at
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog

Publication Date: February 24, 2017
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Google Play | Bookstrand | Wild Rose Press

A liar…

Three weeks ago, James Maxwell’s wife died in a car accident, but he hasn’t been able to tell his five-year old daughter the heartbreaking truth behind her mother’s death. Instead, he packs them up and leaves for a summer resort in upstate New York to spend a few peaceful weeks and to gradually break the
Paige
Mar 24, 2017 Paige rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-needed
5 "We Were Crazy" Stars

Full review to come.

ARC provided for honest review.
Bella
A War like Ours is Saffron Kent's debut novel.

I never know what to expect from a debut - could be awesome, could be...not so awesome. Let's just say I was blown away by Saffron's talent.

I knew going into this book that it was going to be dark and twisted, not your typical light and fluffy romance story. I can't stress this enough. If you're looking for light and fluffy, where the characters skip through the fields to find their HEA, this book is not for you.

The author tells the story of James
Chelsea Holder
2 Stars

What draws me to this book at first was the first two words of the synopsis. A Liar...

description

Upon reading it, I was immediately intrigued. The title also seems to promise a lot of angst, which I love, by the way.

Unfortunate for me, I couldn't connect with the characters of the story. Reading this felt like I was from the outside looking in.

description

Definitely NOT because both characters were damaged and involved (view spoiler) because believe me, I'
Tina Manuel
Feb 25, 2017 Tina Manuel rated it it was ok
1.5
EscapeNBooks
Mar 10, 2017 EscapeNBooks rated it it was amazing
A War Like Ours by Author Saffron A. Kent is her debut novel and is a dark romance story.

"I’m a rebel, you know. I like everything twisted. And dark. And sick and weird.”

Madison loves her life in a way that is safe, expected, and guided. Her bubble of predictability is suddenly popped when a mysterious and unhinged man comes into her life. James is suffering. His suffering bleeds out into all aspects of his life and family, finally leaking into Madison and drawing her into his intricate world of
Lauren Campbell
Feb 24, 2017 Lauren Campbell rated it it was amazing
Ummmmmmmm. <~ That's seriously the first thing that comes to mind when I think about my feelings after reading this book. Honestly? IDFK.

I'll start by saying this is DEFINITELY > a dark-as-hell read. From the cover and blurb and the first couple pages of the book, I knew I was not in for a sugary romance. But, TBH, I had no idea it would be as dark as it was.

Self-harm dominated a good portion of this book. It showed up early on, and it made me cringe, but I kept reading, thinking it woul
Caro
Feb 28, 2017 Caro rated it really liked it
It's seriously impressive that this is the author's first novel. I won't elaborate about the plot, the possibility that I'd spoiler too much would be too big. The story was very complex, on the dark-ish side. Not in the sense of an abduction or murder but in lieu of self-harm and self-destructive behavior. And because the author already warned in her blurb, I can only say that this is not for the faint of heart. On a sidenote, I won a copy of "A war like ours" in a Facebook-group and when the au ...more
Mimiorphee
Feb 24, 2017 Mimiorphee rated it it was amazing
description
"He'd said whatever we had was a game. It wasn't. It was a war, and I'd do anything to win."

If you are looking for the next read that will make you feel, really feel, don't look any further. A War Like Ours isn't a light, sweet story, but a book that will take you on a crazy emotional ride !

At first, I requested it because I found the cover awesome. Then the blurb piqued my curiosity and when I finally started it, I was compelled by the writing and the characters' personalities.

I loved the at
Krissy loves to read
Feb 21, 2017 Krissy loves to read rated it it was amazing
I love when I get a message from one of my book besties about an amazing book they just heard about! Would you like to read, she asks. It's been a while since I've read an emotionally deep dark story. Hell yeah is my response after reading the description! How can I not read this and its a debut!! Even better! I start this right away and now I remember why I love dark, edgy, steamy, emotional and drive me crazy reads! To get so emotionally invested in any kind of story is a must for me. I need t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
16192760
Romance Writer and Reader. Coffee Addict. White Russian Drinker. Imaginary Ballet Dancer and poetess. Aspiring Lana Del Ray of the book world.

I'm a big believer in love (obviously). I believe in happily ever after, the butterflies and the tingling. But I also believe in edgy, rough and gutsy kind of love. I believe in pushing the boundaries, darker (sometimes morally ambiguous) emotions and imperf
More about Saffron A. Kent...

“People think it's the monsters who do bad things, but it's not. It's people like us. All the monsters ever do is live in storybooks. Or in closets. It's the humans who destroy things. Life isn't black and white, James. It's all fucking gray.” 0 likes
“The sight of her blood— brick red and rusted against her soft skin— sent a shot of madness though my own. Its taste still lingered on my tongue— metallic with a hint of citrus.
The hum morphed into a buzz, and it told me that with Madison anything was possible. It told me that together we were malleable, inside out and bent; we defied nature. Together we were transcendent, symmetrical.”
0 likes