Start by marking “A War like Ours” as Want to Read:
A War like Ours

A War like Ours

A liar…

Three weeks ago, James Maxwell’s wife died in a car accident, but he hasn’t been able to tell his five-year old daughter the heartbreaking truth behind her mother's death. Instead, he packs them up and leaves for a summer resort in upstate New York to spend a few peaceful weeks and to gradually break the news. But a spirited and outspoken maid at the resort has figu
ebook
Published February 24th 2017 by The Wild Rose Press Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A War like Ours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A War like Ours

✦❋Arianna✦❋
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: february-2017
4.5 Stars!!

Saffron A. Kent’s debut novel is simply enthralling. I like nothing more than to be blown away by a debut author and this author totally accomplished just that. She managed to captivate me from the beginning with her amazing writing and her engrossing storytelling. 'A War Like Ours' is fantastically written. It’s compelling, unique and addictive. It’s an unconventional story that kept me immersed from beginning until the end. I couldn’t put it down for one minute - that’s how much I

Jennifer Kyle
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.75-4 STARS

description

Wow I’m completely blown away that this is the author’s debut novel. The story was extremely well written, am I’m interested to hear where the author got the idea for the plot, these characters, and the setting.

Please take the author’s warning very seriously as this was a hard/painful read for me. I found the characters’ misery and self-harming ways at times unsettling. Though the storytelling is extremely strong and I was eager to see where the author was bringing these damaged ch
~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
Definitely not for me.

I completely misinterpreted what this book was about. My laziness and hastiness have finally caught up on me. This is what happens when you pick up a book based on the cover and the title

Unfortunately, this book contains all the elements I’m usually avoiding like the plague.

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
RATING: 4.5 Pain Hearts!! <3 :D
description

A War Like Ours is a dark and unconventional story, one that weighs heavily on our minds and hearts as we’re taken out of our comfort zones, yet enthralled by both Madison and James’ painful lives. Nothing about this debut sings a familiar tune, their story compulsively readable, and we find ourselves turning the last page before it feels as though any time has passed.

Both Madison and James are a study in extremes: strong mentally and physically as survivors of
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

ARCS: https://goo.gl/SPTsPQ
Pre-order: Coming soon!
Blurb:
Saffron
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well I love it because I wrote it. Hope you love it too!
Ari

4.5 completely fucked up stars

Before I talk about the book, I just want to say that this is one book I would really heed the warning too. It's very dark, and not just because it contains non-consensual sex, and rape, but also because of the entire tone of the book. It's very disturbing, and even to someone who mostly reads dark romance like I do. And that is not a warning I give out very easily, so please keep that in mind before reading the book. Strong trigger warning.

Well I felt like that
Nazanin
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, dark
3 Pain Stars

I think I should stop reading books with unusual relationships. Okay, just for a while! These books play with my feelings. I don’t know I enjoy them or not. I read a few of these books and enjoyed most of them but this one was a little harsh for me! Actually, I’m not good with (view spoiler)

Madison is a hater. She hates everything that is around her. she is an addict, not to drugs but to sadness. Because of her mother
S.M. West
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5+++ STARS

What? A Debut novel? No way!

This book. Damn, this book is original through and through, and I mean that in the most positive way possible. It's unlike anything you've ever read before and so worth the read! I promise you, it'll leave a lasting impression on you. I love reading unique romance stories that tug at my heart and mess with my brain. This is one of those books!

"Love that destroyed everything.
Love that felt like a war."

Saffron's writing is superb, her characters are compl
~ Stéphanie ~ Tied up in Romance ~

description

I can't really believe this is Saffron first novel! This is so accomplished, the writing style is rich, the characters are complex and the storyline is quite original.

“I told you to stay out of this. I asked you to. Why didn’t you listen to me?” "What do you want, Madison? Why do you keep coming back?”
He squeezed my bicep, making me flinch. “Do you want me to hurt you?”

This is not really a traditional love story. Saffron said so herself she doesn't write that way. So you know from the s
Malene
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-author, favorites
Saffron A. Kent has captured me with her exquisite and poetic prose. First with The Unrequited which I loved tremendously. So much that I immediately had to read A War Like Ours. She does it again. Wow! A War Like Ours was beyond amazing. It was my kind of edgy and dark. The flawless prose again in a league of its own.

Madison and James are two very flawed and broken people. Battling their own demons and these demons definitely showed their ugly and scary heads multiple times. The push and pull b
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 3.5 Stars *****

Because of her past, Madison doesn't trust men. She believes all of them are greedy and selfish. So even though she has an unexplainable attraction to James, she refuses to let him inside her heart.

James has a deep and dark secret. He plans on coming clean at a peaceful resort, but his lies just keep getting bigger with each passing day. He's damaged and broken. But whenever he is near Madison, some of the pain and confusion fades away.

Nothing can stop the chemistry. Not e
Paige
5 "We Were Crazy" Stars

Holy Crap on a Cracker. This book was a beautiful trip to crazy town and I loved every broken, crazed moment. I am amazed that this is a debut. Ms. Kent has got skills. Major, messed up romance skills that has me salivating for more. A War Like Our is unlike any other romance I've read. I was glued, wide eyed to every page as James and Madison's supremely unconventional but beautiful love story unfolded.

James is a liar who just lost his wife. Madison is a hater whose girlf
Eda** # Dax Lahn's Golden Tigress  #
** 4.5-5 “debut books always ROCK” STARS **

Well I've already explained my feelings to the author herself, so here you go:

description

This is just the beginning of your journey Bestie, keep up the good work! :)

** ARC provided by the author aka my lovely bestie Saffron! **
Faith Andrews
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoa. Like WHOA! What I just read...whoa!

As you can tell, I'm kind of speechless, but let's start at the beginning, because that's where all great stories start. I'll admit, I am not a blurb reader. I take recommendations, I listen to the buzz, I judge a book by its cover or pick it up because it's written by a favorite author of mine. In comes Saffron A. Kent and A War Like Ours.

Debut author, catching cover, recommended by a fellow respected author. So guess what I did...I broke my rule and r
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-read, blog
This was a dark read cataloging the serendipitous meeting of two characters James and Madison with shared, yet different pain. This book revolves around multiple aspects of pain both physical and metaphysical. A WAR LIKE OURS was a twisty, unusual book that difficult to read at times due to the fragmented characters and relationships. Yet I found myself unable to look away.

Madison is in a relationship with Julia; Madison being the dependant and Julia the fixer. Madison is crippled emotionally by
Serena
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 I WANT JAMES TO BITE ME. HARD. STARS!!!

Wow. This is truly unlike any love story I have ever read. EVER. I was engulfed within the dark moments, I wanted to look away but couldn't. The push and pull between James and Madison kept me reading on. I needed them to get their happy ending.

A War Like Ours made me feel a lot of things. Many, many emotions. Some I didn't even know I had actually. I was stunned. I was pissed off. I was happy. I was sad. I was frustrated. And I was turned the hell on.
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
What an outstanding debut!! Sexy and intense and messy. If you're expecting a hearts and flowers romance, then find another book! James and Madison's painful story completely captivated me.

A War Like Ours is a compelling, gritty and enthralling book. Once I started I could not put it down! I love stories where the main protagonists are imperfect characters. James and Madison make poor choices in their lives, but somehow the author makes it all seem very believable and just plain real. Also: the
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
description

“You push me and push me and push me. Every single moment with you is a battle.”
“You’re right. Every moment with us is a battle. A war. And I’m going to win this war, James. You’re going to lose.”

Well wow, we may be lost for words. A War Like Ours is the debut novel by Saffron A Kent and it completely turned us inside out. You know those books that shock you, yet compel you, because they’re so unexpected. The kind of book that you just know is going to be a marmite book. Well this is it. We st
Bella
A War like Ours is Saffron Kent's debut novel.

I never know what to expect from a debut - could be awesome, could be...not so awesome. Let's just say I was blown away by Saffron's talent.

I knew going into this book that it was going to be dark and twisted, not your typical light and fluffy romance story. I can't stress this enough. If you're looking for light and fluffy, where the characters skip through the fields to find their HEA, this book is not for you.

The author tells the story of James
Autumn Grey
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
oh my goodness!!
I literally just finished reading this book, I don't have enough words to sum up how much I loved it.

I loved that Madison and James were very flawed and imperfect, yet perfect for each other. This story is angsty, brutal and raw. It deals with mental health issues that I love reading about and seeing being explored in books. Not only that, though. It takes a step into the darker side of love. Madison and James are each other's obsession and savior, all wrapped up in one. I teare
Autumn
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Madison Smith has more than enough reasons to hate men. She watched as they abused her mother until finally taking her life. Now starting all over in the small town of Hedge Lake, she’s barely keeping her demons at bay. She longs for the oblivion offered by her girlfriend and by working herself into physical exhaustion.

Until everything she thought she knew is changed by precocious little girl and her father who hides painful secrets behind his eyes.

Back at home, I swallowed Julia’s love in the
Lauren Campbell
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ummmmmmmm. <~ That's seriously the first thing that comes to mind when I think about my feelings after reading this book. Honestly? IDFK.

I'll start by saying this is DEFINITELY > a dark-as-hell read. From the cover and blurb and the first couple pages of the book, I knew I was not in for a sugary romance. But, TBH, I had no idea it would be as dark as it was.

Self-harm dominated a good portion of this book. It showed up early on, and it made me cringe, but I kept reading, thinking it woul
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"

I picked up this one because I wanted more of the feeling I got from Thomas and Layla in The Unrequited . A War Like Ours has similarities. Neither of these books follow conventions or rules in relationships. Saffron Kent can write a story and fractured characters. At times, it seems as if the characters won't make it through the morass of guilt, unworthiness, and despair to forge ahead in life. Sometimes the characters aren't likeable - sometimes pitiful in their torment - and then
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017

Writing: 5 Stars
Story: 4 Stars

The Book Bee
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: 4 STARS
"Why the fuck were we so fucked up?"

What in the hell did I just read!!?? Yes, I said that! I don't read a lot of dark and I don't read a lot of psychological intensity. I don't ever push those boundaries -- at least not willingly. But reading this book, it made me glad I dipped my toe into those proverbial waters. So, I have already read Saffron's second book, The Unrequited, but I hadn't read this one, so it was like going back in 'writing time' for me and I must say, while I c
Soulla Georgiou
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book and what I loved most about it, is that it took me totally out of my comfort zone.

If you're expecting hearts and flowers, then this probably isn't the book for you. I am normally a huge fan of hearts and flowers, but I am so pleased that I read this wonderful story.

It is a raw and disturbing tale of how two very broken souls meet. Two souls who are so damaged, that you wonder if they can ever be fixed.

It is dark and angsty and sexy and almost difficult to read at
Chelsea
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 Stars

What draws me to this book at first was the first two words of the synopsis. A Liar...

description

Upon reading it, I was immediately intrigued. The title also seems to promise a lot of angst, which I love, by the way.

Unfortunate for me, I couldn't connect with the characters of the story. Reading this felt like I was from the outside looking in.

description

Definitely NOT because both characters were damaged and involved (view spoiler) because believe me, I'
Katie
Feb 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
A War Like Ours
by Saffron A Kent
Publication Date: February 24, 2017
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Kobo | Google Play | Bookstrand | Wild Rose Press

A liar…

Three weeks ago, James Maxwell’s wife died in a car accident, but he hasn’t been able to tell his five-year old daughter the heartbreaking truth behind her mother’s death. Instead, he packs them up and leaves for a summer resort in upstate New York to spend a few peaceful weeks and to gradually break the
Dilek VT
I just cannot go on any more; this book has literally sucked the life out of me.

DNF at %50

Our heroine is a troubled one. (view spoiler) And that's why, she hates men and she has been in a lesbian relationship for a while, staying away from all men.

Then s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The MFRW Book Place: 1 July 2017 - A War Like Ours 1 9 Jul 01, 2017 09:24PM

• Her Nowhere
  • Phoenix (Bellator Saga, #4)
  • Obscured
  • Rainfall
  • This Side of Eden
  • The Reigning and the Rule (Surviving Time, #2)
  • Ashes of the Sun (The Gathering of the Sun Duet, #1)
  • Filthy 4 (Filthy, #4)
  • Breached: A Companion Novel
  • Semper Fi (The Education of..., #3)
  • Joseph Fallen (The Estate, #0.5)
  • The Day She Cried
  • A Shot in The Dark
  • Mad Girl (The Chronicles of Anna Monroe, #1)
  • The Ground Rules Undone (The Rule Breakers, #3)
  • Taunt Me (Rough Love, #2)
  • Fear of Heights (Heightsbound, #2)
  • Scarred
Writer of bad romances. Aspiring Lana Del Rey of the Book World.

Saffron A. Kent is USA Today Bestselling author of Contemporary and New Adult romance. More often than not, her love stories are edgy, forbidden and passionate. Her work has been featured in Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, New York Daily News and USA Today’s Happy Ever After.

She has an MFA in creative writing and she lives in New York Cit
“People think it's the monsters who do bad things, but it's not. It's people like us. All the monsters ever do is live in storybooks. Or in closets. It's the humans who destroy things. Life isn't black and white, James. It's all fucking gray.” 1 likes
“The sight of her blood— brick red and rusted against her soft skin— sent a shot of madness though my own. Its taste still lingered on my tongue— metallic with a hint of citrus.
The hum morphed into a buzz, and it told me that with Madison anything was possible. It told me that together we were malleable, inside out and bent; we defied nature. Together we were transcendent, symmetrical.”
0 likes