Start by marking “Extropia: Mind Game” as Want to Read:
Extropia: Mind Game

Read Book

Extropia: Mind Game

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
An act of sabotage leaves Edward’s father trapped inside a virtual reality game, Extropia. In a bid to save him, Edward follows, entering a world he knows he might never leave. A world of artificially intelligent beings, subjected to a life of misery and fear in the name of entertainment.
Now one of them has learned of the real world, and is determined to have his revenge…
Published March 2nd 2017 by Troubador Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Extropia, please sign up.
Robin Bootle Hi Nahan - At its highest level, the premise is similar but the stories are very different.
Robin Bootle Hey Irene, sorry I only just saw this - yes this is part of a series. Book 2 out next year.

Khurram
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable book. I wanted to give it 4.5 if the pace of the book was a little faster. Robin Bootle did a great job of both real and virtual world. This book has one if the best description of the digital soul in it. Yes the characters are lines of programming code, that is all their histories and suffering are, but it is real to them. On top of that could the character become even more.

Edward thought he lost everything over a year ago, with the last members of his family. Not he is literal
Dannii Elle
A very-near future of our world is envisioned in this explosion of a science fiction novel!

It’s the year 2031 and virtual reality is about to be taken to the next level. Edward’s father and brother, James, are the driving duo behind this new invention that allows the player to experience total mind and body immersion into their newly created virtual terrain: Extropia.

The money behind this world-altering creation comes from ruthless tycoon Vandermeer and his wish for a quick return to his expendi
✨    jamieson   ✨
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

In Extropia: Mind Game, we follow our MC Edward, who's father and brother have become trapped inside a virtual world they created called Extropia. Edward has always believed his parents died on the night they catastrophically tried to launch Extropia - so when he finds out this isn't the case, and his family are trapped rather then dead, he decides to enter the Vitual World created by his brother and Dad in order to rescue t
Beth
Jul 26, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-to-read
I thought I had enough time to start this, but I really don't and it makes me so sad! I got a few chapters in and really enjoyed it, but I'm going to but this back on my shelf for now, because I have lots of Buddy Reads coming up and need to (try) and stay on track!

Hopefully I'll get to read this in August!
Mayim de Vries
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a “Gandalf meets Dumbledore, they mesh Frodo and Harry together and then they go and play Baldur’s Gate” type of book. Essentially, a fantasy tale in a science-fiction wrapping with a YA feel to it.

Our protagonist is called Edward Founder, a schoolboy with a tragic past (also an IT genius.) Edward’s father created a virtual reality environment called Extropia, but things went awry in the final stages of beta testing and suddenly Edward finds himself in a foster family, believing both his
Grant Leishman
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Extropia by Robin Bootle caught me just a little by surprise, but not in a nasty way. I was expecting a science fiction story, but what I got was much more than that. Extropia is a compelling Young Adult story revolving around a virtual reality game. What would happen to you if you could enter a virtual reality game and all the characters were real, had feelings, and could suffer pain? To make matters worse, anything that happened to you, inside the game (injuries, death etc), also would occur t ...more
Sharon Mariampillai
I received a copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating: 4.35

This was an enjoyable read. The story was intriguing and relatable. The characters were really likable and engaging. I felt bad for Edward, but I think his thought process was intriguing. I thought the book was fast-paced and it was interesting take on a virtual reality world. I really liked the ending. I can't wait for the next book. Overall, a great read.
Amy Bradley
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was intriguing: what happens when AI gets too realistic? What makes us human?

In Extropia, Edward is a teenage boy, whose father and older brother have developed an immersive virtual reality (with floating in a pillar of gel to maintain bodily functions and interface with the system). When presenting the system to an investor, Vanderboom, something goes horribly wrong - and Edward is accused of murdering his family after the investor flees the scene.

A year later, Edward has managed to change
Lance
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 Stars

I enjoyed the story line. Similar to a few other books I've read, but there are very few that aren't. I may even read the next book in the series.
Lucy
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Extropia is an absolutely amazing book and is one of the most gripping book's I have read so far!

Extropia is about how a boy's father gets trapped inside a virtual reality game and how he must follow him into that world in hopes of saving him. One of the AI, in the game, learns about the real world and wants to seek revenge because of there cruel treatment in the name of entertainment.

In my opinion you should definitely read this!
siobhan Quinlan
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I was given a copy for a honest review. 5 Cups of tea read for me. I stepped outside my comfort zone and read a genre i dont normally read and i am so glad i did.
Edwards father and brother get trapped in a virtal world and a year after this happens Edward discovers they arent dead and he needs to save them. Fast paced and a highly enjoyable read I can not recommend this enough. I will be making a video which i will link when do
Schildybooks
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sin duda creo que le habría dado 5 si lo hubiera leido en español, porque al ser el primero que leía en inglés sí que me ha costado mucho acostumbrarme por el lenguaje y por todo, pero lo he disfrutado un montón y me encantaría que se publicase en españa traducido
Lozzi Counsell
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sort where there's so many twists and turns that you can't put it down. Yesterday I was going out for dinner with my partner and I promised 'just one more chapter' and had to admit to him that I might have accidentally read three instead, because there was no way I could go out not knowing what was going to happen next. my favourite character is actually Ivandell - I think there is such amazing development behind him and what's more is that I didn't like him at first, but he gre ...more
TheFaerie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book...

It was a book about a boy who entered a virtual game. However, somehow, the characters managed to change their thoughts and feelings about everything around them. This book questions what it means to be "real". Are the characters fake just because they were man-made? Or, are they more than that?

I like how not everything was going how it was "supposed" to happen. However, if this book's pace was a little faster, it would be better. I had nearly stopped reading during all the not-in-
Jolly Per
Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.

Virtual game? Dystopian type? Looking for something/someone? A survival game? Sounds familiar? You bet!
So, why don't we add this book here?

Okay. Here's the truth; not that it's a bad book or it's not an original story. There's no such thing as an original idea anymore. It's just that all the time I was reading it, I really felt like I was reading Ready Player One. If you read that virtual reality game set in the future, I swear
Diana Iozzia
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Extropia: Mind Game”
Written by Robin Bootle
Review written by Diana Iozzia

As a fanatic of science fiction and video games, I love to see well-presented combinations of the two. In this story, a teenager named Edward finds out that his father and brother are trapped in a video game that they created, with Edward and a few friends trying to save them.
I really enjoyed this book, because it used all of the fun video game tropes and science fiction tropes in a very meta book. Edward and the other
Wolf (Alpha)
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ömer
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.1/5

First of all, I want to thank the author for sending an electronic copy of the Extropia. I really like reading about virtual reality things and artificial intelligence. So, it was a pleasure to read this book :)

Yorumu için: http://kronikokur.blogspot.com.tr/201...
ellie
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the mix of sci fi and fantasy. The writing was engaging and witty and the plot was obviously well thought out but still easy to follow. The plot twist at the end got me good and was written really well. If you enjoyed this book then I suggest watching the anime, Sword Art Online as it is also a story of being trapped in a virtual reality game-once again, advanced technology becomes terrifying. Overall v v good and I can't wait for the next one :)
Jamie Croteau
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
wickedly fun and absolutely captivating. I couldn't put this book down! It is an adventure worth taking and I can't wait to read the next one.
Leigh
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely enjoyed this novel and I look forward to the sequel!
Gris Alvarez
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a really great book, you get hooked from the first chapters, with a very interesting plot, it's one of my favorites about virtual reality
Marvi A
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well written, more like a roller coaster ride into the sci-fi world!
Julia
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The author introduces readers into a thrilling AI world, with great imagination of its future and potential possibilities. Extremely well written, recommended for everyone, especially for sci fi and fantasy lovers.
Shrilaxmi
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I received a free copy of this book from the author.

I finished reading this book in a day. The premise is really interesting - man traded in an alternate reality, his son venturing in to rescue him. The first half of this book was incredible. I literally couldn't stop reading. But after that, the story got a little slow and predictable - I even saw the impending plot twist coming. The great thing about a book about a game is that the deus ex machina solutions to any problem can just be written
Julianne
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, okw2017
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for the opportunity

I liked this one a lot but i had a lot of problems getting through it at points. Sometimes it felt very wordy and i felt that many of the Extropia characters had hard names for me to remember. It might just be me bad at remembering names though. Some of the twists I did not see coming which is always really refreshing for me. I got a lot of Ready Player ones vibes in the best of ways. I just wish there
Tom Shields
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting read

Couldn't put it down, read it in one sitting. Enjoyed the fast pace and the puzzle of the new virtual world, with a few moral dilemmas thrown in. Some suspension of disbelief required but the story carries you through. Lots of fun.
Esha Joe
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
If you liked Ready Player One and The Hunger Games, this book is for you.
Omkar Vechalekar
The best part about the book is that you can relate to the characters, and actually live the story. Brought out a whole lot of emotions while reading, definitely worth a read. The description is so clear and simple, you can see it as a movie at the back of your mind.
Maddie
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The characters and setting were fantastic.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robin was born in Athens, not long before the 1981 earthquake. As a boy he lived in Chennai (India) and Hampshire (UK) before moving to Mauritius at the age of nine, the paradise island to which he still returns every year. He has since lived in New Zealand & France, and is now settled in Crouch End, London, with his wife, Kate.
Like many of us, he is intrigued to see how the world will change
More about Robin Bootle

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“And it could take three years more! This technology is far more complex than anything that has come before. Gone are the times of audio and video signals received and interpreted by the brain. This isn’t even virtual reality. This is alternate reality –the implantation of the mind directly into a whole new environment.” 0 likes