Start by marking “The Ghost in the Shell Vol. 1.5” as Want to Read:
The Ghost in the Shell Vol. 1.5

The Ghost in the Shell Vol. 1.5

(Ghost in the Shell #1.5)

Deep into the 21st century, the line between man and machine has been inexorably blurred as humans rely on the enhancement of mechanical implants, and robots are upgraded with human tissue. In this rapidly converging technoscape, the cover-ops agents of Section 9 are charged to track and crack the most dangerous terrorists, cybercriminals, and ghost hackers the digital fut ...more
Published December 14th 2016 by Kodansha (first published July 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost in the Shell Vol. 1.5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost in the Shell Vol. 1.5

Start your review of The Ghost in the Shell Vol. 1.5
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

It’s hard to not acknowledge Ghost in the Shell as a critically-acclaimed franchise. The mere mention of its name has fans conniving against the naysayers. Although it all started with a manga series written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow, it’s the anime adaptations that were later created that truly blew the minds of a whole generation. The revolution that came with that creation propelled this franchise into the hall of fame and forever le
Gianfranco Mancini

Not as good as first volume, but I liked very much the fleshing and development of Batou, Togusa, Aramaki and all the Section 9 characters. They are just like old friends of me now.
Eva
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-comics
Improved, more detailed artstyle, better dialogue and narrative, and filled with author notes ranging from silly useless details to very enlightening points about military tactics and politics. Loved it, much more enjoyable than the original, despite the lack of major and fuchikomas.
Adam
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Slightly better in art and plot coherence than the first volume. It suffers greatly from the almost complete absence of the Major (it's unclear why Masamune would make that choice?) and is still not at all comparable to the excellence of Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GIG. It lacks an overarching plot, which was a good choice given the flop that was in volume one. It's not very long, at least.

The footnotes ramped up seriously in this volume too, and they went from endearing to kind of pathetic and
Eadweard
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the original but it's still very entertaining. The art work is considerably better, the plot is a bit more coherent, the whole work's more 'police procedure' than the original.
J.M. Giovine
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following the events from the first book, Human Error Processer serves more as a compilation of unused stories for the first Ghost in the Shell, rather than a sequel, but Shirow Masamune stated that this could be taken as a prequel to the second book so, yeah, out of the confusion; let’s just consider this as a direct continuation. That being said, and considering how hard it would’ve been to overcome the first’s one success, this is a lighthearted and friendlier in tone, unlike its predecessor. ...more
Petr
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, scifi
EN/CZ

Wow, once again Shirow manages to deliver a cool story in cyberpunk Japan with exciting plots, technology, and Shirow's comments. I love how his comments create a very personal link with the author during reading the manga. Scenes are filled with a ton of details, but they still maintain clarity. The only scenes I was lost in were those where something happened fast, so I like to think of it that it simulates the reality of the scene.

CZ:
Opět musím pochválit CREW za přinesení dalších příběhů
Robert
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get's an extra star for having Mokoto reappear in Section 9's life (and thereby reconnecting with Batou who was the last to see her at the end of the first volume).

Also ties her into GitS 2.0/Volume two which was published before this one with the "Ms. Chroma" reference.

Overall, it's a series of "short-stories" focused on Section 9. So no "the Major/Mokoto" in it outside that one story. But it's fine, because it seems better focused and plotted than 2.0/Man-Machine Interface.

I think I prefer the
Rolando Marono
The good:
-The art style, though it is not as detailed as Ghost in the shell 1, is cleanier, the action looks much better in this style.
-The characters Togusa and Batou are very funny and engaging, something that we didn't saw much in previous volumes.
-The last and the previous to last stories.

The bad:
-All of the stories looked the same.
-This volume was missing the things that make Ghost in the shell 1 and 2 very innovative, in this volume we have a lot of people controlled by other people thorug
Marc
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk, sci-fi, manga
Going out on a limb, I think these Ghost in the Shell stories are a big mess. Confusing and convoluted story lines, with a lot of nonsense and abrupt plot twists. I get it - the overall cyberpunk concept was groundbreaking in the 90's. However, from a current perspective this stuff is no longer particularly intriguing.
PS: You can safely ignore the footnotes that are scattered all over the pages. They seem like the rambling musings of a teenager ...
PPS: I don't get it why even in this deluxe coll
Ronald
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga, cyberpunk
This was an interesting collection of stories from the Ghost in the Shell universe. It spends most of its time with the secondary characters. Some of the art looks strange compared to what other stories I have read and in a couple of places the art / story panels feel out of order and mixed up. The footnotes were entertaining and makes it feel like the author was insecure about the story. Maybe not up to the standards of the original Ghost in the Shell still a good read.
Michael
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bridge between stronger volumes

While Shirow's style remains consistent, the cases in this volume are mere episodes. We get some glimpses into Section 9 after the Major's departure, but very little groundbreaking material. The imagination and technology after flung father in the other volumes. The material here shows the basis for Stand Alone Complex, but that series is overall stronger.
Nihal Vrana
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not in the same league as the first and not even with the second book. The first few stories are pretty weak and embroiled in technicalities. The suspense in the last story was interesting and made up for the rest of the book. The generally appealing things about Shirow books are already there, the designs, idiosyncratic commentaries, a well-thought futuristic setting etc. It is just not as strong as the other installments.
Brit
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As seem to be common practice for Ghost in the Shell this volume is familiar because of it influence on other versions of Ghost in the Shell. However it is also alittle confusing to fallow the diffrent story lines and how they interconnect. Also you don't get alot of the Major only one apperance in one story line. But I love Batou and enjoied those other characters interactions and interplay.
Terra
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first time I heard of ghost in the shell was the movie version with Scarlett Johansson. I loved it. So when I saw this in the library I had to read it. My first Manga! It was fun but hard to read because the font was so small.
Ward Muylaert
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Back to a nicer mix of technology and actual stories you can follow. Only thing missing now is an overarching storyline and conclusion.
David
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay for light entertainment but not a worthy followup to the original. I'm more fascinated by GITS 2.0.
Timothy Haggerty
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bit better.

Step up from Vol 1. Not quite so deep. Good crime stories. The Major is not the same from Vol 1. Much more professional.
Kevin
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A much better effort that the first collected edition. I think the shorter vignettes are working better than the longer narrative.
Goosejack
Very uninspired compared to the prequel and sequel.
Thomas
Ok but not as good as book 1
Parashar B.
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Apparently I read these out of order...
Ernesto I. Ramirez
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fiction, manga
Is an interesting book that allows us to see what happens with Division #9 after Motoko's forced retirement and a brief introduction to what the Mayor had become for Vol #2.

Interesting cases, but is not the same without Motoko.
Eric Johnson
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Shirow Masamune's work and along with Appleseed, GITS is of course one of my favorites. I think overall giving it a 4 out of 5 is a bit fair given his work so far. Not so much the quality but the Japanese original formatting is a bit annoying. It's again probably in respect to how he wanted it printed fine, but I think honestly a little more of the Major would have been good as well. Then again there is more to Section 9 than just the Major and I think that's good. She's a heavy-hitter in ...more
Nick Tramdack
Mar 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was a big fan of the original GITS manga, which I first read as a ninth-grader. Besides all the nudity and violence, the extremely well thought-through action sequences and worldbuilding moves stayed with me as a bar to try to hit when writing. In that work, Shirow struck a wonderful balance between verisimilitude, mysticism, mystery, politics, and giant robots kicking ass. I had to read it a number of times to get everything, but it was worth it.

Which was why I was so disappointed to read thi
Jonathan
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masamune Shirow is one of my all time favorite artists, but remember, I am a guy, so take from that what you will. However, in terms of manga, he is the best. Not only is his art top notch, but his stories are so complicated and deep that one needs to follow government structure and political maneuvering to understand what is going on. Sure, you can just drool over the overly endowed, very very easy on the eye figured, scantily clad women, or, you can look at them and appreciate the world of cyb ...more
Andrew
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read any GITS material in quite some time, but I had this series sitting in my comics pile, and decided to read it today. It's a collection of four stand-alone stories. They're all basically "procedural" stories, detailing a single Section 9 investigation. There's a lot of high-concept sci-fi stuff here, as you'd expect.

Shirow includes a lot of entertaining footnotes, covering everything from Batou's seat belt usage habits to what kind of sandwich somebody is eating.

There's a lot of de
Andrewcharles420
Less polished than its predecessor, Ghost in the Shell (which I rated 5/5 stars and left a more descriptive review!), and without the conceptually fascinating ending, but still a fun journey with familiar characters. An interesting aspect of my reading experience with this graphic novel is that my copy is somewhat less westernized than I had expected--in english, but with the reading direction from right to left (which left me moderately confused--but surprisingly not totally lost--until I figur ...more
Naomi Bray
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was slightly confused by this book, but I think that may be because I wasn't aware of the back story to it. It is my husband's I saw it on our bookcase and thought it would be a nice easy read. I did really enjoy this book once i had an idea as to what was going on and it was really easy to read through. Some of the characters, not the main ones but the essentially bad guys were quite disturbing in the way they carried out their crimes. I highly suggest this to anyone who likes Sci-Fi future b ...more

• Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1
  • Akira, Vol. 6
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 08: Fallen Angel (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 09: Angel's Ascension
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 05: Angel Of Redemption (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 06: Angel Of Death (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 07: Angel Of Chaos (Battle Angel Alita)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1—Phantom Blood, Vol. 3
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 04: Angel of Victory
  • Akira, Vol. 5
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! Vol. 2 (Trigun, #2)
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! Vol. 1 (Trigun, #1)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1—Phantom Blood, Vol. 2
  • 新装版 BLAME!(2)
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 2 (Naoki Urasawa's Monster: Kanzenban, #2)
  • Blame! Tom 1 (Blame, #1)
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 1—Phantom Blood, Vol. 1
Masamune Shirow (士郎 正宗) is an internationally renowned manga artist. He is best known for the manga Ghost in the Shell, which has since been turned into two theatrical anime movies, two anime TV series, an anime TV movie, and several video games. Shirow is also known for creating erotic art.
Born in the Hyōgo Prefecture capital city of Kobe, he studied oil painting at Osaka University of Arts. Whil

Ghost in the Shell (3 books)
  • Ghost in the Shell (Ghost in the Shell, #1)
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-machine Interface (Ghost in the Shell, #2)

News & Interviews