Start by marking “Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over” as Want to Read:
Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over

Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over

For fans of PostSecret, Humans of New York, and If You Feel Too Much, this collection from suicide-awareness organization Project Semicolon features stories and photos from those struggling with mental illness.

Project Semicolon began in 2013 to spread a message of hope: No one struggling with a mental illness is alone; you, too, can survive and live a life filled with joy
Published September 5th 2017 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Project Semicolon, please sign up.
Jennifer McIntyre Overcoming Hardships. The book was written by the project semicolon community. Individuals shared difficult times they or family members endured.…moreOvercoming Hardships. The book was written by the project semicolon community. Individuals shared difficult times they or family members endured. (less)
Meghan I'm 120 pages in. There have been a lot of rapes and a lot of abuse, esp by family members. There is some drug use, few eating disorders ad some…moreI'm 120 pages in. There have been a lot of rapes and a lot of abuse, esp by family members. There is some drug use, few eating disorders ad some cutting. Depression is the common thread. I don't know about triggering, but it's a book I don't know if I can finish because it doesn't feel hopeful even though, with the exception of Amy Bleuel, the writers survived. (less)

Start your review of Project Semicolon: Your Story Isn't Over
Christine Spoors
Sep 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I feel bad for disliking this book but, despite the book saying it is spreading messages of hope, I found that it was the complete opposite. I feel so down and hopeless after reading this and would be far too worried to recommend this to anyone I know with mental health struggles.

Trigger Warnings: Basically everything. Every kind of abuse, eating disorders, suicide, depression, anxiety, self-harm. This book is filled with sad stories about hardship and terrible things happening so I can't think
Schizanthus Nerd
If you don't take anything else away from this review, please know:
* You are not alone
* There is help available
* You deserve it. Yep, even you! 😃

If you need immediate help and you live in Australia, please contact Lifeline at 13 11 14 or online at www.lifeline.org.au. If your life is in danger, please call 000.

The note at the beginning of Project Semicolon says it much better than I could ...

"WARNING: If you suffer from suicidal ideation or mental illness, some of the stories that follow may
Julia Sapphire
I am really stumped on how to review this. First I will say a major trigger warning for suicide as well as depression, anxiety, self harm, eating disorders, and many more.

Now I appreciate what this was trying to do but in my opinion the execution was poorly done. So, this is non-fiction filled with over 250+ stories of people who have attempted suicide and/or know someone who has attempted or committed suicide. Now this was repetitive and of course I do NOT mean to disrespect anyone and their
Jessica
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May is Mental Health Awareness Month, so I feel reading Project Semicolon this month and reviewing it is perfect timing!

Amy Bleuel started Project Semicolon in 2013 to give hope and love for those who are struggling with mental illness, suicide, addiction, and self-injury. The semicolon is used because in literature it is intended to continue a sentence versus ending it. Using the semicolon, you show that you are
Mary
This was a tough book to read--it took me over two months to take in the scores of personal stories of people who suffer anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, or other mental health conditions. Many of the stories reveal the hard fought victory toward continuing--hence the semicolon--the story continues. Some of the stories are tributes about loved ones who died after a suicide attempt. Photographs of semicolon tattoos are interspersed throughout. No one could read about the lives of these ...more
Gina Kirby
I loved the idea of this book - but I felt that the execution of it was flawed. It felt heavily edited and stories started to run together as if they were written by the same person, over and over again.
Payton (Payton's Book Thoughts)
This collection of stories is absolutely amazing and completely worth the money.

I saw some reviews saying it put the reader is such a horrible mood and it made them down and sad. But I wanted to make sure I posted a review stating otherwise.

This book pulled me out of a horrible depression I was struggling with for many, many months. It had been sitting on my shelf for a few months before something just told me to pick it up. This book gave me so much hope.

I wont go into too much about my
Julia (ten_thousand_books)
Well, it only took me 11 months to finish Project Semicolon. It was an emotional roller coaster filled with heart wrenching stories.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone and anyone.

Its truly amazing!

Although I couldnt put down every single story in my review from the book, here are some that really stuck out to me.

"Because I swear that in my darkest times, there was always a spark of hope and a breath of life." - Maude P.

"You do not get over it, you work through it." - Karen V.
Davis Wimmer
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely amazing. The stories really made people without anxiety, depression, self-hate, etc. understand how serious it is. It showed that no matter how much life may suck at times, you should never give up and you should keep moving forward. These stories were very moving. The people in the stories are so strong not only to go through what they do but also tell about it. There are some stories where they are talking about a loved one who killed themselves and it shows how much ...more
Katherine
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, nonfiction
Be cautious if deciding to read this book. Story after story of people coming to terms with the lifelong battle that mental health will wage on their life can have undesired consequences. I would strongly recommend finding someone you feel comfortable talking with about it, because this isnt a quick, light, or uplifting read. Have a care for yourself. ...more
Nora
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-book
I personally struggle from several mental disorders. This book really opened the whole world of mental health issues to me. That other people struggle everyday from what I struggle with. It opens the world of these issues and trying to help people who don't struggle understand it.
aubrey
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very inspiring. It is basically a book of inspirational stories, from others going through a depression. The book also shows tattoos in the form of a semicolon, both basic and unique. I would recommend reading this, but it may also make you sad.
Nicola Hall
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very emotional book... It was gripping and entirely heartbreaking but also gives the person that reads it Hope for the future! It shows you that you are not alone... And if you're suffering in the darkness this gives you a way to start finding the light... It gives you a way to find the strength inside yourself because you know there are people out there that are going through similar experiences...

I'm getting emotional writing this... Definitely read this especially if you're feeling
Kelly
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-in-2017
I had mixed feelings about this one but overall it was great. The mixed feelings come because for some of the people the solutions seemed too simple...solutions Ive never found. ...more
Millie Cross
When I got this book, I thought it was going to have a happy ending basically but in reality it really didn't. I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book and Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who is or was struggling with mental illnesses
Alda Nielsdottir
In short, this book is a compilation of personal stories from people who have struggled with mental illness (and some as a result of that have contemplated or tried to commit suicide). A lot of the entries include a photograph of the person's semicolon tattoo.

Now I won't say I LOVED this book, even though I did give it five stars, because this book deals with some very heavy topics, and in an ideal world this book wouldn't need to exist at all, but I think this book is so important, and it is
Angela
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Project Semicolom: Your story Isn't Over is a collection of stories from various people who have experienced depression, anxiety, bipolar, and many other mental illnesses. They write about the hardships they've gone through, and how they were pulled out of it, or about a friend/family member who they lost to suicide. I found this story inspiring, to see people who've had it so much worse than I have and still persevere. Remember: Life's tough, but so are you. You aren't alone, so if you're ...more
Sarah Lee
This book is really about peoples personal experiences with mental health and how they have overcome it or continue to work hard at it. It's not always something easily cured so it's often a life long battle. This book is a pretty simple read and can have many triggers in it so do proceed with caution. I myself am currently in a good place and chose to read it. I felt like it was inspiring to me and gave me hope that I can continue to battle my mental illness as well.
Jazz
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had this book earlier in my mental heath recovery journey. The short entries are inspiring and capture so much individual strength and courage. Definitely a book I highly recommend for those struggling with a mental disorder. The book highlights the important lesson that You are not alone.
Meggan Turner
I'm not rating this book because I don't feel like it's fair for me personally to rate such raw and emotional pieces of writing. Although it can be triggering the hope that this book is filled with is wonderful. Project Semicolon is something that the world has needed for so long.
Kacey
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really did show the scary parts of depression. I really related to it. It made me really feel for all of these people.
Anna Sobczak
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad but true... non suicidal people should read this gateway into the world of mentally Ill.
Paul
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring stories of people who have tried to commit suicide and lived. They frequently have semi-colon tattoos to show that the suicide attempt was but a pause in their lives.
Victoria (TheBookFairie) Gold
This book was there when I really needed it to be. It is a perfect insight on people with mental illness and the struggles they went through and continue to go through moving forward.
Angela Blount
Originally reviewed for YA Books Central: http://www.yabookscentral.com/yanonfi...

"Stay Strong. Love endlessly. Change lives." --Amy Bleuel

This suicide and mental illness awareness collection is made up of both survival testimonials and memorial accounts of those enduring the pain of a lost loved one. The range of writing length and ability here is widely variable. Some have contributed as little as a small paragraphand some up to 3 full pages. Accompanying most of these stories is a picture
Madiw
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much and I plan on reading again in the future. It's such a great book and it help me with a lot of stuff in my life.
Michael Kutan
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! The personal stories of those affected by suicide was heart-wrenching at times. All the courage made for an awesome read.
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

I was fortunate enough to see @HArper360UK tweet that they had proofs to hand out of this book.

I had only briefly heard of Project Semicolon before but I knew the importance of it and of how more open we need to be regarding mental health so it seemed like a perfect read.

Unfortunately after reading 72 pages Ive decided to part ways with this book.Thats not to say its a bad book. Itll probably do some good
Lynn
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Todays Nonfiction post is on Project Semicolon: Your Story Isnt Over collected by Amy Bleuel. It is 324 pages long and is published by Harper Collins. The cover is white with a large blue semicolon in the center. The intended reader is someone who is interested in stories of suicide survivors and families of those lost to it. There is some mild foul language, no sex, and discussion of violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- A semicolon is a symbol of choosing to
Elizabeth/Ayana
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
My biggest complaint about this book is the same as others - that the stories were too similar.
I understand that this could have been because they were all centered on the same topic, suicide/depression, but that interferes with my second and third issue with this book: it has only around three people who state they identify in the LGBTQ+ community, and that it has too strong a focus on Christianity.
The LGBTQ+ community has a higher risk of mental health struggles, and knowing this, I can't
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • The Beautiful Stories of Life: Six Greek Myths, Retold
  • Unpregnant (Unpregnant, #1)
  • Refraction
  • The Road to Yorktown: Jefferson, Lafayette and the British Invasion of Virginia
  • The Last Séance: Tales of the Supernatural
  • Dheo's
  • INFIRU: Berangkatlah dari Jahiliah
  • Mrs. Fitzroy: A Captain Savva Mystery
  • Akhi
After overcoming many obstacles in her life including bullying, rejection, suicide, self-injury, addiction, abuse and even rape, Amy has found strength and a love for others. Amy struggled with mental illness for 20+ years and has experienced many stigmas associated with it. She now shares her stories around the nation giving hope to others struggling with mental illness.

"Despite the wounds of a