Start by marking “They Both Die at the End” as Want to Read:
They Both Die at the End

They Both Die at the End

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  62,996 ratings  ·  12,283 reviews
Adam Silvera reminds us that there’s no life without death and no love without loss in this devastating yet uplifting story about two people whose lives change over the course of one unforgettable day.

On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They’re going to die today.

Mateo and Ru
Published September 5th 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about They Both Die at the End, please sign up.
Thistle I found most of it sad only in a distant way. Yes, they were dying, but until then they were LIVING, and that was the important message. Until I…moreI found most of it sad only in a distant way. Yes, they were dying, but until then they were LIVING, and that was the important message. Until I reached the end, then I cried my eyes out. (less)

·  62,996 ratings  ·  12,283 reviews

Start your review of They Both Die at the End
Emma Giordano
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I have been hyping it up for myself since about 2015 and it absolutely did not disappoint!

They Both Die At The End is a fascinating speculative-YA about living vs. dying. It also features a gay Puerto-Rican main character and a bisexual Cuban main character, and I am ALL ABOUT this ownvoices representation.

As always, Adam’s writing style is wonderful. His teens always speak like teens – the excessive but totally realistic amount of times Rufus said “mad”/>They
Emily May
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars. The concept behind this book is fantastic - in an alternate world, a company called Death-Cast calls people to tell them when their last day has arrived so they can say their goodbyes, live in the moment, and tie up any loose ends. Of course, knowing you are going to die is also horrifying, especially if you feel you haven't lived your life to the full. An app called Last Friend brings together those who are dying and enables them to find someone to enjoy their last day with.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This wasn't as heartbreaking as I thought it was going to be to be honest! Does that make me cold hearted?? I can't really explain my reasoning for this, because I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL ANYTHING. I felt like there were times when the book was really pushing the YOLO message, which is a message I'm here for, but I also wanted that message to be a little less outright than it was. I really liked how things played out throughout the story and how we see these two boys bond and connect over what they' ...more
Chaima ✨ شيماء
This book smelled like tears and self-sabotage.

And it's safe to assume that indeed, it was.

But then again, it's never been an option to walk out of an Adam Silvera's book and not feel a thing, since they're the kind of books that hold you tighly you can feel it seventy-two hours later. And they might also be the kind of books that will make you lie in bed, disintegrating into a pile of emotions and missing that one person you made eye contact with for two seconds on a public transportation five years ago
Caz (littlebookowl)
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FULL REVIEW COMING SOON

What I will say for now is: ADAM YOU ARE SO CRUEL, MY HEART CANNOT FORGIVE YOU.
The title 'prepares' you for the end, but that doesn't lessen the pain one bit. I sobbed the hardest I ever have while reading a book...

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
❄️Nani❄️
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Either I’m heartless or everyone’s emotional.

It was a sad story indeed but I expected to be destroyed and... I was not.

I loved Mateo with everything in me. He was, to put it mildly, the epitome of goodness but had a hard time connecting with Rufus. He was inconsistent at best.

I also loved their instant connection and bond but I was not down with the insta-love.
I simply can’t wrap my head around the idea that two people can fall head over heels in love with each other after only a few hours o
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Maybe more of a 3.5*

This was really good! I found that it did drag a little bit at times, definitely more of a slow going read but it was such an interesting concept and I think it was very well executed. (It's actually a concept I had thought of for one of my novels, great minds think alike!)
Kai
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, 2017, owned
"You may be born into family, but you walk into friendships. Some you'll discover you should put behind you. Others are worth every risk."

Death calls just after midnight. Mateo and Rufus will die today. They don’t know each other yet, but their paths will cross on this last day of their lives.

Adam Silvera is one of my favourite YA authors for several reasons. His characters are flawed and relatable. His stories are original and like nothing I’ve read before. And even though they’r
jessica
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘for those who need a reminder to make every day count.’

from the moment i read the dedication, i knew this story would be a meaningful one. adam silvera took a heartbreaking moment and turned it into pure poetry. this book is proof that there can be beauty in the unplanned and that its sometimes the unexpected which makes life worth living.

4 stars
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Maybe it's better to have gotten it right and been happy for one day instead of living a lifetime of wrongs.”

This is a masterpiece of speculative fiction. Speculative fiction, to me, is meant for emotions, and meant for exploration and discovery. This book is a story of a last chance and a last day for two very different people, but it's a story that's best observed personally - this story asks you to reinvent yourself every single day.

The strength of this book is that somehow, everything here feels so
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I should have known from the title that this book would be heartbreaking...
Sana
I wasn't a huge fan of Silvera's More Happy Than Not so I assumed I wasn't going to like this one either. I wasn't even going to bother with this one. But seeing all the heartbreaking reviews from my friends had me intrigued, as well as that title and synopsis.

It's honestly the best decision I've made in a long time?? Lmao.

I was promised tears, heartbreak and all the emotional feels and it's safe to say that, yes, I did get all those things. And I can't be any more happy. It's no surpr
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
"Maybe it's better to have gotten it right and been happy for one day instead of living a lifetime of wrongs."

This was my first ever Adam Silvera book, and I'd been warned by so many people to prepare myself for ALL OF THE FEELS, but nobody could have really made me understand just how fast and hard I would fall in love with Adam's writing voice. This book made him an auto-buy author literally by the 25% mark, and I don't think any author has ever made my auto-buy list so fast in my life.

PLOT ➳➳
Imag/>PLOT
Samantha
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best way I can describe this is The Sun is Also a Star meets Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.
Charlotte May
"No matter how we choose to live, we both die at the end."

This was wonderful! My first Silvera novel, but it definitely won't be my last. Mateo and Rufus both get a call from Deathcast that today is their last day on earth - in twelve hours, they will both be dead.
Last Friend is an app created for Deckers (people who have received the Deathcast call) to meet up and spend their final hours on Earth with a stranger. Mateo and Rufus meet via this app and decide to have the best last day tog
may ➹
update: someone pointed out that the two boys’ shadows on the cover make a cloaked figure with a scythe (Death) and I’m crying again

I knew it was going to be sad but I really didn’t expect to be sobbing at 1 in the morning

listen... I have so many thoughts and most of them somewhat resemble “I hate Adam Silvera I hate Adam Silvera I hate Adam Silvera” but there’s another part of me that says that this is Silvera’s best (read: most destructive) book

// buddy read with banshee and gmos hater
C.G. Drews
So 100% of the reason I wanted to read this was to know...DO THEY BOTH DIE AT THE END???? And obviously I shan't tell you because you need to be tortured like I was tortured. And I confess to a few mixed feelings?!? Because I really hyped this up in my head. I WAS SO FRIKKIN' EXCITED. And while I loved it, it wasn't quite what I'd hoped exactly. But I still really liked it! And I have at least 4 feelings which is double the amount of feelings I generally am allowed in a 6-year period. So there you go.

I
megs_bookrack
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I may never be the same again!

What would you do if you were told your life would end within the next 24-hours?

A lot of us may say, spend as much time as we could with our loved ones, right?

But what if they were unavailable to you?
What would you do with you last 24 then?

You wouldn't want to be alone would
Riley
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the title fool you. This isn't a book about death, but about life. It's about becoming the person you want to be without fear holding you back. It makes you face your own mortality head on and asks the question, if you knew today was your last day would you be happy with the life you lived? This is truly a book you come out of a different person then you went in.
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Hey, friends! I’m so sorry! I really wanted to love this, but this just wasn’t a book for me. I think some of the lines were so beautiful, and I love the overall message of living your life, every day, to the fullest, but I just could never connect with this story the way that I know so manyreview.
emma
FULL REVIEW POSTED:

I just got off a fucking 12-hour-long flight to China and I spent approximately half of those hours reading this book, periodically crying, and sitting in my seat staring out at a view of endless clouds because I was not emotionally prepared to just go on with life after finishing this book. (Update: it’s now been more than ten days since I finished this and I still have a lot of feelings.)

Stories can make someone immortal as long as someone else is willing to listen.

FYI: this revi/>(
Larry H
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm probably at like 4.75 stars, but I'll round up...

Well, what else would you expect from a book called They Both Die at the End?

"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new."

—Steve Jobs

Shortly after midnight on September 5, Mateo and Ru

new."
—SteveEnd?
"Noup...
Colleen Hoover
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
They both die at the end.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4 Stars

"...stories can make someone immortal as long as someone else is willing to listen.”

(So. Many. Tears.)

This is the second time I've finished an Adam Silvera book with a hollow feeling in my chest and maybe I'm just in love with the pain because something about this emotional writing style hurts so good? A book should always make you feel somethingand this one made me feel a lot.

The writing style is somewhat brisk and dialogue-focused, perfectly showcasing a diverse cast of loveable characters. Outsid
Jill
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-releases
ExCuSe Me?!??!!!!!!???!!!!!??! NO ONE TOUCH ME FOR AT LEAST A WEEK
Lola
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
A new book by Adam Silvera. Two published this year. I consider that a gift to all lovers of LGBT themes and lyrical writing.

I only wish this gift had been more romantic. Silvera’s romances are always rather tragic—fairly depressing—but somehow I don’t mind it as long as the beginning is wonderful.

But the beginning is not wonderful here. Unfortunate Mateo and Rufus just learned they would die today. To make the most of their time on this earth, they both go on a little adventure aro
mith
Feb 18, 2016 marked it as maybe-read
Shelves: 2017-publication
Wow um spoiler alert @ title??
(lmao you guys make me feel funny and popular with this pre-review)
Warda
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
But what the fuck was that ending? I am so confused! Was it supposed to be abrupt? Does it have a purpose?

Anyway, I enjoyed this book immensely. I love what it stood for. The overall message of living your life to the fullest. I wasn't the biggest fan of More Happy Than Not, but I appreciated the message behind this story so much.

Both characters, Rufus and Mateo know they are dying. They've received a call from Death-Cast letting them know they have less than 24 hours left to live. Everything
emi
A good book overall, but there's too much death imho. Could have done without it. RTC.
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, favourites
This book affected me so much more than I ever expected it to. I like to think of myself as a heartless witch or something when it comes to books and movies because it really takes a lot for me to feel something for the media I’m consuming; this book, however, had me crying by the time the first chapter was done. My heart was ripped out by this book and I know I should have seen it coming but my goodness I didn’t expect it and my heart hurts sooooo very much.

They Both Die at the End is about Ma

• What If It's Us
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)
  • Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Autoboyography
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • We Are the Ants
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Radio Silence
  • We Are Okay
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • Sadie
  • Eliza and Her Monsters
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
Adam Silvera is the New York Times bestselling author of More Happy Than Not, History Is All You Left Me, and They Both Die at the End. His next book What If It's Us is co-written by Becky Albertalli (Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda) and releases on October 9th, 2018.
He writes full-time in New York City and is tall for no reason.
“You may be born into a family, but you walk into friendships. Some you’ll discover you should put behind you. Others are worth every risk.” 302 likes
“...stories can make someone immortal as long as someone else is willing to listen.” 274 likes