Start by marking “Čáry života (Čáry života, #1)” as Want to Read:
Čáry života (Čáry života, #1)

Čáry života

(Carve the Mark #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  51,367 ratings  ·  6,877 reviews
Ve světě, kde vládne násilí a právo silnějšího, v galaxii, v které mnozí trpí, má každý člověk zvláštní dar. Většina dokáže ze svého daru vytěžit to nejlepší, ale Akos a Cyra jsou kvůli němu zneužíváni. Cyra je sestrou tyrana, jenž vládne celému válečnickému národu, a má dar bolesti, kterou její bratr zneužívá k tyranizování svých nepřátel. Cyra však chce být něčím víc než ...more
Published January 17th 2017 by CooBoo

To ask other readers questions about Čáry života, please sign up.
Elias No, the other YA author Veronica Roth. YES, OF COURSE IT'S THE SAME ONE WHO WROTE DIVERGENT.

·  51,367 ratings  ·  6,877 reviews

Start your review of Čáry života (Čáry života, #1)
Emily May
1 1/2 stars. Just.... soooo sloooowwww.

Let's be honest, I actually liked Divergent for what it was - a fast-paced, exciting YA adventure that demanded very little of me. Sure, a lot of the world made absolutely no sense, and I still find that whole "I'm Dauntless so I jump off moving trains" thing so ridiculously laughable, but I found it really entertaining. In this book, though, I spent the majority of it wondering where the actual plot was.

It's set in space, and I've heard other revie
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
It's release day, so I can finally talk about my dislike for this book! It's been a few months since I read it, so my feelings (and outrage) are no longer super fresh, but I'll do my best.

I found this book to be SOOO boring and difficult to read, what with the ridiculous character names and dull plot. I had tons of issues with the plot and pacing when I was reading the book, and I really had to force myself to pick it up. The characters were also completely one dimensional and a bore
thebookbitch
2018 edit because I'm still getting hate mail.

The UK publisher asked me to review the book, they sent me a contract to sign for me to sign saying that I would get paid. I declined because I don't rate books well to earn a few coins, I'm the Book Bitch for a reason. When I declined the UK publisher then broke all contact with me and we've not had a working relationship since.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room: Sponsered reviews from booktubers who were paid to give a positive review and
karen
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best YA fantasy! what will happen?

i'm going to review this without giving too much away, which seems to be the publisher's desire, since this is the first time i have ever gotten an arc that had this

photo IMG_8396_zpsfxkgc6pr.jpg

across every single page.

text blurred so no one yells at me.

DON'T YELL AT ME!

i am someone who liked the divergent tr
Meg (fairy.bookmother)
So, I should preface this with a few key points. I work for a bookstore and received an ARC of this book through my job. All opinions are my own. This review is not an attack on the author, the publisher, or anyone else. I am also white, and I am aware this affects my position to call something out as racist. I find that it's helpful to raise awareness of problematic representation in the media we consume.

In regards to advance copies being sent out to reviewers, I've noticed in a lot
Emer (A Little Haze)
Oh dear!! Where do I start?????

Racial stereotyping and questionable use of certain imagery.
Ill advised plot lines that reinforce rape culture rather than expose it as negative
Unflagged trigger warnings.
And a romanticised depiction of chronic pain (something that is very personal to me).

But let's begin with the writing. Wow talk about dull! The first half of this book was so incredibly tedious. The pace, the plotting, the world building (what world
Khurram
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed with this book. Maybe after Divergent my expectations were too high, and it probably not fair to compare the tow although when a book is released saying the writer of Divergent it is hard not to expect a lot and compare the two. Also knowing Veronica Roth was a Star Wars fan and I am a Star Wars fan I figured what could possible go wrong.

The book is very slow then as soon as something exciting happens it is the end of the chapter and the moment is lost. Worse
Ben Alderson
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I AM SWORN TO SECRECY, JUST KNOW I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK
Tehanu
After Allegiant I don't know wether to trust Veronica Roth. I mean, that book... that fucking book:

But let's give it a chance! Let's read the description:

"in "the vein of 'Star Wars'"
"a boy's "unlikely alliance" with an enemy"
"what they most desire: for one, redemption, and the other, revenge,"

Okay, okay! I'm in! I'm SO in!!

However...

2017?!?!?!

YOU'VE MADE MY INNER CHEclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
YOU'VEin!!
description:
"in
jessica
this book reminds me of preteen me, meaning it tries too hard to fit in with all the cool kids. oof. not a good look for anyone involved. trust me.

this book tries a little too hard to be YA relatable, to be sci-fi intense, and to have the most fantastic world ever built. and i think because there is so much focus on all of these different elements, it neglects one major component - THE PLOT. my goodness. its practically nonexistent. combine that with some slow pacing and you get many bored
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
This book already has 70k reviews and ratings... fml.

This book is interesting not because of it's story (which is dull) but because of the circumstances surrounding it's release.

BLACK FACE

Every now and then a book comes along that presents some toxic ideas which are commonly seen in tons of books. But our GoodReads community turns into a hive mind and decides this one book is the absolute worst.

I can't help but feel that this book got unlucky. The Winner's Curse was gushed about despite it's disgusting r
Matthew
Three things:

1. This book tries to YA too hard
2. This book tries to Sci-fi too hard
3. This book tries to world build too hard

I do give it 3 stars because overall I found it enjoyable, but the the things above distracted me so much. (Note: Lowered to two stars on 10/17/2017 because I thought I already gave it too and I keep thinking back to how much I didn't care for it . . . so, I had to drop it!)

YA - There is a general YA formula, but if you mix i
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
I'd like to put a disclaimer for all the controversy surrounding this novel. I read this before anyone and didn't see the underlying issues everyone saw with the story until a few of my friends told me about all the explosions on social media sites I don't even have. I did still adore this story, I'd be lying if I said I didn't, but I don't want to offend anyone by liking this book. I want everyone to know I can't possibly relate to these issues, but my eyes are open and I understand people are ...more
Nenia ⚜️ Author of Filthy Trash and Unhinged Psychos ⚜️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Divergent Wars: One Force will define you.

Curious (and polite) people kept asking me if I was enjoying CARVE THE MARK while I was reading it. For the flippant response to that question, please refer to the opening of the song "Nobody But Me" by The Human Beinz. Or, you know, check out my star rating. (But my way is more fun, and you get a fun song out of it, too!)

I was one of the few people who did not like DIVERGENT. Part of that was the world-building that didn't make sense, and par
Bibi
Jan 24, 2017 marked it as on-hold-for-now  ·  review of another edition
01/26/2017

Having spent the last hour reading through Review 1, Review 2, Tweets, opinion posts, in addition to the comments threads, there seems to be a whole lot of furore about this book which, I must say, now has me intrigued enough to want to read Carve the Mark.

A few reviewers felt the need to disclaim previous reviews, while some bloggers sought to distance themselves from both the author and HarperTeen, the publishers. My understanding is that one, the book has racial undertones, the author's allusion to chronic pain
Sana
BR with the evil little pie. <3

Dnf @ page 88
This book is putting Maggie and I in a slump, not to mention extremely boring and slow.
Rose
Long review for a rather long read. I'm still struggling to figure what words are appropriate to describe the mediocrity and utter pointlessness of this book. My thoughts about it aren't as concise as this review will turn out being, because I only have so many words to fit in my review space and I want to illustrate why this book ended up being such a horrible experience. It's my worst read of 2017 thus far, though I considered giving it credit for at least the last quarter of the book holding ...more
Elena
Feb 26, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 22%
Sana and I are bored and are being put in a reading slump reading this. It's extremely slow and boring and nothing interesting has happened. We encountered some of the issues going on and asked each other if it was triggering for either of us and since it wasn't, we continued. I do agree that this does have issues that can be triggering for people, so I suggest watching out for that before starting it. We also have read like 2 more pages since our last update (pg. 108) and stopped there.
Simona Bartolotta
EDIT 11/02/2017/: Lowering my rating to two stars because holy moley, I already don't remember a thing of what happened in this book. And I read it, like, a month ago. This is Lady Midnight happening to me all over again. Is it my memory's fault or these run-of-the-mill-yet-super-popular books'?

---

“Growing up here really has warped you, hasn’t it?”
“Growing up here,” I clarified, “has made me see the truth about people.”

•I feel that a foreword is needed here.
First, I read the Divergent trilogy a little over/>“Growing
Frankie Lovely
2 stars
Uncensored review as always
And spoiler-free

Oh boy. This is not going to be pretty. I’m sure you have seen all the upchucked Haterade that the “controversy brigade” so generously spewed about this book before and after it’s release. So obviously, I wanted to love this book SO HARD if only to shove a raving review in the face of absurdity! Unfortunately, I can’t do that here.

*sulks*

On the other hand … I honestly did not see ANY of the controversy. Like … where is it? I have no idea. I’m sur/>Uncensored
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
By god, is that cover appealing.
Now let's pray the stuff inside it is too.
Alyssa
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
I liked the story overall! But there a few things that might seem minor, but are actually really detracting from the story, and I took issue with them. It was a good story, don't get me wrong. But I have some things to explore in my review that I just didn't like.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth
Book One of the Carve the Mark
ambsreads
I refuse to put myself in a position where the likelihood of myself being triggered is high. I don't think the "kill marks" which feature in this book are okay. My friend Cait talks more about how they these marks can be connected to self harm. I was curious about this book but after hearing several quotes which feature in the book about these marks I am physically sick and disgusted. It honestly saddens me. I wonder how such a thing passed by so many ARC readers though.

The cover itself is a repres
Natalie Monroe
Am I the only one confused by the blurb? What I'm getting is Romeo and Juliet, superpowers, and a thinly-veiled Abnegation/Dauntless showdown thing.

Too much, yet too little.
Natalie Monroe
"I didn't choose the blood that runs in my veins," I replied. "Any more than you chose your fate. You and I, we've become what we were made to become."

I feel like I could throw a dart in a bookstore and hit at least a dozen YA books with practically the same quote and premise.

The nature vs nurture debate is well-trodden ground in fiction, not just in YA. Is there such thing as fate? Are villains born or made? These are all themes that can be reinvigorated and made fresh and unique, but Carve The Mark
Andreea Pop
Mar 06, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love
Well, hello there, pretty book.
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
4.75 Golden stars!

wow! I didn't think I would love this story this much! It added to all-time favourite book & golden stars means TOP favourite series. the characters, the thriller, this beautiful world! Splendid!
To be honest I didn't even expect it to be a space sci-fi (fantasy too I guess), & it was wonderful!
I was looking for a satisfying Space sci-fi & this book mostly met my expectations! I really enjoyed it.
---
World Building: ★★★★★/5
the world, t
Josu Grilli
Apr 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
WE GOT A COVER AND A RELEASE DATE!!!

January 17, 2017!!

description
Francina Simone
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok...I'm gonna film a review tomorrow and talk about something. Over al, objectively, I'm bouncing between 4-4.5 more towards a 4. Subjectively...really not my style so more of a 3 if you have similar "preferences" as me.

As far as everything else goes, I'll get a video up soon to discuss all my thoughts 😉
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a YA sci-fi/fantasy story, set in a different universe.

I liked how strong Akos was in this story, and he really did hold up under some terrible circumstances. I also liked Cyra, who put up with so much pain from such a young age, and was still able to be feared, and able to stand up to her brother when she needed to.

The world building in this was pretty good, although it did take quite a while for it all to come out, and the odd-sounding names did make things a little more difficult. The storyline was

• King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
  • War Storm (Red Queen, #4)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • Legendary (Caraval, #2)
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
  • Everless (Everless, #1)
  • Wildcard (Warcross, #2)
  • One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns, #2)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Carve the Mark and the Divergent Series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection). Her short stories and essays have appeared in Summer Days and Summer Nights, Shards and Ashes, and the upcoming Three Sides of a Heart. The Divergent Series was developed into three major motion pictures.

Veronica grew

Carve the Mark (2 books)
  • The Fates Divide (Carve the Mark, #2)
“Soft hearts make the universe worth living in.” 116 likes
“You want to see people as extremes. Bad or good, trustworthy or not. I understand. It's easier that way. But that isn't how people work.” 97 likes