Start by marking “Emelin” as Want to Read:
Emelin

Read Book

Emelin

Emelin Lambert is an eleven-year-old orphan in medieval England, who has an incredible gift in illuminating manuscripts. She’s also quick-witted, mouthy, and nearly always in trouble.

One terrible day, her last relative is killed and Emelin ends up being in possession of a manuscript that belongs to Geoffrey Chaucer. She cannot stay safely in her home with the manuscript s
Published December 13th 2016 by Schillings

To ask other readers questions about Emelin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emelin

Start your review of Emelin
Alicia Huxtable
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I'm noy sure if this book would be classed as Children's or YA but either way I enjoyed it.
The way the author, Jackie Randall, captured the plight of a poor orphaned girl, struggling to uphold a bargain made by her uncle, just so she could survive, was fantastic. Little Emelin definately was a survivor and along side her, Wolf, was the perfect campanion for her journey.
Can't wait for my daughter to read this book now.
Emely
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very excited when I won the giveaway for this book, and I have not been disappointed. "Emelin" is an enchanting and captivating novel about a young girl's success against all odds. All the characters were well thought out and every single one was relatable and believable. I personally loved the setting in medieval times and how the author Jackie Randall brought authenticity to what & how life was back then. I found the key subject of 'illuminating' most enthralling, not only because it is ...more
Danielle (Arabbitinwonderland)
All the historical accuracy!

This book made my inner historian sing, Ms Randall his written a beautifully executed novel that I have been talking up to everyone who will listen.
The characters are well thought out and extremely likeable but not without flaws, and the story line I simply loved.

If I'm nitpicking the only thing I can possibly critique is the cover implies the story may be for younger readers then you may think, Emelin would be an appropriate and enjoyable read from 12 onward.
I at 21
Linsey Painter
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Jackie Randall’s junior fiction novel is captivating.

Set in medieval England, Eleven year-old Emalin is a gifted artist. Emalin has lost her whole family and lives on the brink of starvation with only her uncle’s talents as a master illuminator and her blossoming gift as his assistant keeping them alive. When tragedy strikes Emalin is thrust into an adult world of danger and responsibility. Her only chance of survival to prove to Geoffrey Chaucer that her illuminations match the genius of that
Loretta
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is charming. A delightful tale about a young girl who lives with her uncle and unofficially helps him illuminate books - unofficial because girls weren't supposed to do) or even have the ability to do) such work.
Having secured a commission to illuminate a new book by Geoffrey Chaucer, everything starts to go horribly wrong. When Evelyn's uncle is unable to complete the work, can Emelin, aged only eleven, overcome prejudice and difficulties to finish it herself? Does she have enough skill?
Christine
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An "illuminating" read! The title character, 11 year old Emelin, is found in the opening chapters of this YA novel in medieval England, having lost the last of her family in bad circumstances, an Uncle who has taught her his trade of illuminating manuscripts. I had known of this art, but not thought too much about who it was completing the works, and the existence of Guilds, work tickets and scriptoriums affecting the quality of the books. The descriptions given seem generally historically accur ...more
Marsha Knatcal
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

Exciting and captivating story. Very well written. I couldn't put it down! This book deserves some "illuminations" of its own. :-)
Maxine Sylvester
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book - EXCELLENT 5 stars for sure!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found the story fascinating; it was unlike anything I had read before. I loved the way it was written in the first person as you got an insight into what Emelin was thinking. She’s quirky and some of her thoughts were hysterical.
I felt quite sad when I finished the story, which is always the sign of a good book.
I want to know more about Emelin, hopefully, the author will treat us to a follow-up.
Laurel Decher
An exciting story of an endearing and intrepid girl with unusual skills. Unexpected twists, friendship with a boy named Wolf with a mysterious past, and the feeling of being right there in the middle ages with Emelin. The setting is vivid and the language is both historically accurate and easy to read, not an easy feat. Well done! Worth a read.
Kaylee Dolat
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
At first I struggled with the prose and style of writing. The beginning was difficult to get into because of this.

Overall the book was good. A little slow paced. The ending was okay.
Brenda Anderson
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads
Won this book on goodreads,loved this story great writing great for young readers.going to give to my neice to read next.
L.G. McFerren
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great MG read. I loved the main character Emelin and her resilience in the face of diversity. The story took some interesting twists and turns that were still believable. I would recommend esp. if you like rotting for the underdog.
E.M. McIntyre
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good things about this story. Enchanting. Charming. Splendid. Delightful! I normally gravitate away from 1st person writings, but I was intrigued by the book description and am so glad I decided to purchase it. It is evident the author did her research for this historical/medieval piece. I adored the protagonist, 11 yr old Emelin and wish for more adventures following her. ...more
Ben
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! The author has combined a great depth of research and passion for middle ages history with an ability to keep kids turning the page all the way to the very last. As an adult reading on behalf of kids, even I was fully taken in by the unique world the author painted. And, unlike so much fantasy literature out there for kids at the moment, this book speaks to a time and place that truly existed! A great way to get kids and teens interested in learning about the past.
Critter
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy from a Goodreads giveaway. This was very well written. The story was really great and entertaining.
James
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A readable middle grade novel with a LOT of historical errors, but the protagonist is charming in her way, and the subject is appealing. Not a bad story, but not a great one, either.
Sandy Swortzel
Mar 20, 2021
Annie B.
Oct 24, 2017
Jackie
Dec 28, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Christine Kelcher
Vicki Kyriakakis
Oct 01, 2018
Charlotte Sherwood
Jan 01, 2019

• The Cross of Lead (Crispin, #1)
  • 여주실격! [No Longer a Heroine!]
  • 【推しの子】 1 (Oshi no Ko, #1)
  • 薬屋のひとりごと 1 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 1] (The Apothecary Diaries [Nekokurage], #1)
  • 異世界に救世主として喚ばれましたが、アラサーには無理なので、ひっそりブックカフェ始めました。 1 [Isekai ni Kyuuseishu to shite Yobaremashita ga, Around 30 ni wa Muri na no de, hissori Book Café Hajimemashita. 1] (Savior's BOOKCAFE Story in Another world [Manga], #1)
  • ボールルームへようこそ 1 [Ballroom e Youkoso 1] (Welcome to the Ballroom, #1)
  • 신데렐라를 곱게 키웠습니다 1 [Cinderella'reul Gobge Kiweossseubni'da 1] (I Raised Cinderella Preciously, Season 1)
  • 悪役令嬢レベル99 ~私は裏ボスですが魔王ではありません~ 1 [Akuyaku Reijou Level 99: Watashi wa Ura Boss desu ga Maou de wa arimasen 1] (Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord [Manga], #1)
  • Eleceed
  • 明日星程
  • Faraway Wanderers - 天涯客
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Though I May Be a Villainess, I'll Show You I Can Obtain Happiness!
  • Xiao Jiu [小九]
  • 今度こそ幸せになります!1 [Kondo Koso Shiawase ni Narimasu! Manga #1]
  • 못난이 공녀가 되었습니다 [Mosnan'i Gongyeoga Doeeossseubnida] (I Became the Ugly Lady)
  • 悲劇の元凶となる最強外道ラスボス女王は民の為に尽くします。 1 [Higeki no Genkyou to naru Saikyou Gedou Last Boss Joou wa Tami no Tame ni Tsukushimasu. 1] (The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen Who Will Become the Source of Tragedy Will Devote Herself for the Sake of the People, #1)
  • Assassinate [刺杀]