Start by marking “I, Crocodile” as Want to Read:
I, Crocodile

I, Crocodile

While robbing Egypt's mummies, sphinxes, and palm trees, Napoleon can't resist bringing home a souvenir crocodile as well. All Paris is enchanted with this exotic creature. But for a crocodile with an appetite as big as his ego, being the toast of the town has its downside, too. What's a crocodile who's used to a dinner of flamingo, snake, or mongoose to make of chocolate ...more
Audiobook
Published (first published September 8th 1999)

Start your review of I, Crocodile
Ronyell
Crocodile

I have read many books where a story is usually told from an animals point of view such as Aesops Fables. But I have never read a book where the main animal character talks with dignity when narrating his side of the story. I, Crocodile is such a tale by Fred Marcellino who masterfully tells the story of a crocodiles attempts to fit in the society who had forcefully taken him away from his home.

Fred Marcellinos story and illustrations are brilliant as he describes the crocodiles predicament
Dolly
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful little tale about the pillaging of Egypt by Napoleon, who brings back lots of art, statues, and even trees to Paris. The story is told from the perspective of a crocodile who loves his life along the Nile, but finds himself rudely transported to France with the rest of the booty. It's a fun and humorous tale with amazing illustrations - who knew that a crocodile could be so expressive? And the ending is funny, too, but perhaps a bit much for younger children to handle. ...more
McKenna Ray
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book, it has a cute little spin on a crocodile's life. This book is written from the view of the crocodile and how he had to face different obstacles while living in different environments. I like how the author used the historical figure Napoleon throughout the book. I would definitely use this in my classroom because you can tie it to so many lessons. You can teach about a crocodile's habitat, what type of food they eat, and their lifespan. You can also teach about ...more
Cassandra Lemieux
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summaries
Summary: This story is about a crocodile who once lived in Egypt. He bragged at the fact that he never had to chase a meal, that they all would come to him. He was living the perfect life in his little swamp until Napoleon came around and took him to Paris. Crocodile was sad at first. He was stuck in a small enclosure. He came to enjoy all the attention he got, however. But once Napoleon realized he was no longer a big deal, he decided he wanted to eat him. To find out what happens with ...more
Taurean Watkins
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of "I Want My Hat Back" and books by Jon Scieszka, fans of crocodiles
Shelves: animal-fantasy
Hes one of the few illustrators I know of who mostly illustrated other authors books, and this is one of the few (If not only) book he wrote and illustrated. His art has a vintage feel without being hokey or saccharine. Humor here is dry yet cheeky, but not as subversive as Dahl or Sendak. Something in the middle.

That said, if your kids or students love Dahl or had the debate about Jon Klassens I Want My Hat Back about if he or didnt he to a certain rabbit, theyll love where this story ends. I
Katie Fleming
This story is told from the crocodile's point of view. He starts out in Egypt but is then sent over to Paris to be an exhibit. He enjoyed being the center of attention but he missed all the food he used to eat. Eventually, once people were not amused by him any longer, he was going to be dinner. The crocodile got away and lived in the Paris sewers where is new diet became people. I liked this book but I do not think I would read it to small children. I'm not sure if the crocodile eating people ...more
Joelle
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I loved the point of view on this one - it was very fun to read aloud. Who wouldn't want to pretend to be a haughty Egyptian crocodile every now and then?! :) The story is very entertaining, too - especially the end!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Apparently Napoleon brought at least one crocodile to France after his expedition to Egypt. This is the croc's story. Cute croc!
Lauren
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crocodile references Ancient Egypt... Gets kidnapped from 18th Century Egypt by Napoleon (or "that French guy," as the crocodile calls him). By the way, I have to adore a character that refers to Napoleon Bonaparte as "That French Guy." He ends up living in French parks & sewers at different parts of the story & it is kind of fun to see him react to each situation. Definitely a tongue in cheek type of comedy element to it.
Bruce
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lounging around on his comfortable mudbank in Egypt, a self-satisfied crocodile is suddenly netted up and carried away to France. The Emperor Napoleon has ordered him placed on display in Paris as a trophy! At first all the attention is nice, but whats a hungry crocodile to eat in this strange place?

Its a wickedly funny tale delightfully illustrated by the author.
Marcia
This is a cute book that talks about Napoleon and the alligator that he steals from Egypt. I would caution parents with little ones that the crocodile does eat a human so if they are frightened easily don't read this book to them. lol
FINALLY. A children's book with an unambiguously happy ending.
Kimberly
Didn't care for the ending, but the buildup was fun.
Katie Easter
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Contemporary Fantasy
Grade Level: K-2nd Grade

This children's fantasy is perfect for lower elementary school aged children! It has a few informational points that can spark come educational discussion but the back story about this crocodile is so cute! I love how the story is told from his perspective which could be another learning key (POV). I recommend this book for other teachers.
Rachel Collins
Genre: Historical Fiction/Modern Fantasy
Grade Level: 3-4

This book was different than a lot of children's books that I've read. It is based on true events and takes place in a very different time period. It evoked some emotion, as reading about the crocodiles capture was very sad. It was kind of intense at the end when the crocodile ate the guard. It is a bit darker than most children's books that I've read, but I did enjoy it and thought it was very well written.
Diana
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschooling
Weird book. I appreciated the voice of the narrator...the comment about idol worship rocked! Not sure about the ending, though. Rather...gruesome, really for a children's book. And I don't want the kiddos to be worried about crocodiles popping out of nowhere and eating them, so, yeah. Wasn't useful as part of the unit on Egypt, although it might work when talking about Napoleon at some later date when the kids are a little older and can appreciate the humor.
Melki
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crocodile is having the time of his life, living and EATING by the Nile. Then a scoundrel named Napoleon snatches him up, and puts him on display in Paris.

What's a croc to do?

This is such a fun book with great illustrations.

description

Be warned - the ending may be a little dark for some children.

Bon appetit!
Devon Vantine
I loved that the story was told from the crocodiles point of view. Crocodile being taken from Egypt to Paris becomes an over night sensation and everyone loves him. Eventually the people of paris want to eat him so he escapes to the sewer and ate one of the people. It is a very funny childrens book and very enjoyable even as an adult.
Mir
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
This is a cute story about a self-satisfied crocodile who is taken to France as a novelty for Napoleon's palace. Smaller children will enjoy the crocodile's dramatic expressions. For older kids the book could be a good starting point for talking about the history of the period, or about animal right (and safety!).
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, kids
Comical memoir of a charismatic croc, detailing his tribulations at the hands of Napoleon and subsequent revenge on Paris society. Full of delectable dandyish vocab which compels exuberance when reading aloud.
Kathryn Hogan
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book was ok. I did not really like it. It was erealistic, but I do not think that certain students would get the idea of the joke of the crocodile eating humans and what not. I loved the illustrations; I did just not understand nor enjoy the story.
Jill
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Not my favorite story by any means. It has a humorous storyline, but it was a little over the head of my 5 year old. It did offer a slight introduction into ancient Egypt and Napoleon so it might be a fun read while studying those topics.
Sarah Adamson
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This was a really fun read! A crocodile is living the high life as one of the top predators in Egypt until Napoleon comes along and decides to take him home as a trophy - initially a live one. A fun adventure with nice rhyming and great pictures! Nice twist at the end!
The Brothers
A tale of a crocodile abducted from his posh living on the Nile by none other than Napoleon! I'm guessing it's basis is historical. And aside from an off comment about how great idol worship is, it's really a fun story.

The illustrations are fantastic and funny!
Audrey's Picture Books
This is one of those instances where the pictures are much better than the story. The best moment in the entire book is the wordless second-to-last page. I enjoyed the book and will read it to my students, but I wouldn't seek it out.
Rainey
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 Stars*

I feel like this is one of those picture books where it would be more fun if you narrated the pictures rather than reading the story. It's so fun and clever, but the story is not geared towards kids.
Shevonne
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
This macabre tale about a crocodile taken out of Egypt by Napolean and placed in Paris was quirky and hysterical. The kids and I quickly named it as one of our favorites.
Janice
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sierra-s-books
This is advanced for my daughter but it is really fun and I'm looking forward to reading it to her in the future.
Deb
Today's library pick and a very entertaining read for both Eliza and myself. Fun language, great illustrations and a fast pace. She loved it and so did I. I would look for more from this author.
Heather Willis
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eled
Talks about Napoleon through the eyes of a hungry Alligator. Funny story, great pictures.

• A Walk in Paris
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)
  • Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
  • Minette's Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat
  • Binny's Diwali
  • Tiny and the Big Dig
  • Paris in the Spring with Picasso
  • Walrus in the Bathtub
  • Katie and the Waterlily Pond: A Magical Journey Through Five Monet Masterpieces
  • I, Doko: The Tale of a Basket