Start by marking “Ruining Miss Wrotham (Baleful Godmother, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ruining Miss Wrotham (Baleful Godmother, #4)

Ruining Miss Wrotham (Baleful Godmother #4)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
If he helps her, he'll ruin her...

Eleanor Wrotham has sworn off overbearing men, but she needs a man’s help—and the man who steps forward is as domineering as he is dangerous: the notorious Mordecai Black.

Published May 25th 2017 by Emily Larkin

To ask other readers questions about Ruining Miss Wrotham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruining Miss Wrotham

Caz
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've given this an A- at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars rounded up

This fifth instalment in Emily Larkin’s Baleful Godmother series is a charming and beautifully romantic road-trip story that pairs up a most unlikely couple. As she has demonstrated in all the books in this series, Ms. Larkin is a fabulous storyteller with the ability to create memorable, likeable characters and inject new life into well-used tropes by sprinkling in a bit of magic and whimsy while firmly grounding her story in the fam
Mei
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
The hero os this story was the most fantastic one in this whole series!

Mordecai, such an unusual name for a hero... better suited for a villain...

I simply loved him! He's an illegitimate son of a nobleman and while his father aknowledged him and left to him everything not entitled with the Earldoom, the Ton depcts him as a worst sort of rake and womanizer. And he doesn't do anything to disabuse them.

As our heroine, Eleanor will discover, he's exactly the opposite!

He's the only one who would hel
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4.5/5; 5 stars; A

That was just lovely. I really enjoyed this romance that is a combination of a quest, a road romance, and a little bit of fantasy. The characters, especially Mordecai Black, really drew me. The author managed to make me feel a great deal of empathy for him. I also liked Nell and her unconventional approach to getting what she wanted.

One of things about this book that I liked was that there was nice balance between character development and plot development and the author didn't
Carvanz
First let me say this, read this book! If you ever enjoyed a historical romance this is the book that you absolutely must read immediately. If you’ve ever considered reading a historical romance, this is the book that you should begin with.

description

I was awarded this book on Netgalley after its publication date. Due to that fact and obstacles in my life, I placed this one lower on my ARC list and ignorantly allowed it to sit there. I am an idiot! This was one of the most entertaining, enlightening, heart
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Armed with only a four month old letter, Eleanor is trying to find her runaway younger sister. In a cloud of ruin because her younger sister ran off with a soldier, her ex-fiance won't even help her.
Armed with a special license, Mordecai is trying to chase down Eleanor. When he finds her, she'll begrudgingly take his help in finding her sister but she won't marry him.
On a road trip fraught with fire, fairy godmothers, and danger, Mordecai and Eleanor are on a journey that will hopefully last a
Blackjack
(B-) - I enjoyed aspects of this story quite a lot, especially the road trip to locate the heroine's missing sister, the plot that sets the entire story into action. The sinister moments in the novel where Nell and Mordecai are in peril are very dramatic and engrossing. At about 60% into the book, I started racing through it to see what would happen next. There are also moments in the book too when I felt caught up in the emotions about the tragic events that unfolded. I also enjoyed the appeara ...more
eyes.2c
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Passion and petulance with a good dose of perfection!

Mordecai Black and Nell Wrotham. What a tale and what a pair!
He is a large man with a large heart and dark secrets. A perfect foil for Nell.
Nell is one in a line of daughters going back in time who is given a wish by a faerie godmother--not the sweet old lady short, rather the eyes flashing and lightning crashing sort!
And a faerie godmother gift was something to be thought about. But then life gets in the way and suddenly the gift Nell thought
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Mordecai was a true gentlemen and a pleasure to read. To see a man go to such lengths to help a woman he barely knows made him a great Hero. To learn he paid attention to Nell from afar and learned her character showed what a great husband he would be to her if she accepts him. So many obstacles was thrown in his way of pursuing her, just made me root for him more. I also enjoyed the magic aspect of the story even though it really wasn't a big part of it.

It's been awhile since I have read a his
Em
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in this series...so far.
Loved Mordecai Black. My favorite kind of hero - rake (not so much) with a heart of gold. Swoon.

Great couple with terrific chemistry - they light up the pages. Thought the slow burn start was better than the bit too rushed conclusion - but I loved every bit of it nonetheless. So good. So romantic. Perfect rainy day historical romance.

More please Ms. Larkin!
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Roses R Blue
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars as reviewed at Roses Are Blue: http://wp.me/p3QRh4-Ag

Eleanor “Nell” Wrotham was jilted by her fiancé, Roger, when her younger Sister, Sophia, eloped and caused them both to be ruined. Now that Nell’s father is dead, she has a measure of freedom, and is determined to find Sophia. Nell received a months old letter from Sophia, asking for her help, as she had been abandoned in London. No longer caring for her own reputation, Nell visits Roger, hoping that he will aid her, but he refuses.
Courtney
This book was recommended to me in an email from netgalley. I followed the link in the email thinking it would take me to the book's page and let me learn more about it, but instead it provided me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review. And, since it was by an author I had not read and was the 5th book in a series, I really and truly forgot about it for a while. MY MISTAKE!!!!

I really and truly enjoyed this book. I loved getting to know Nell and Mordecai! It has been a while since I'v
Sarah Wayne
I had about fifteen books in my to be read queue and I picked this one, Ruining Miss Wrotham a Baleful GodMother series book first because I absolutely love every single book I have read by Emily Larkin. She's been on my Favorite Author list for awhile now and has yet to dissapoint me.
I love the depth of character development and chemistry between them. Although there is an aspect of magic and even though it is a big part of the story it doesn't overwhelm the plot either which makes it easier to
Cynthia Chan
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best I've read of Emily Larkin's creations. It is full of substance. Complete with angst, action, sexy scenes and of course, HEA, this book is a winner. I find the moves of Mordecai so precise that wore Nell down in the end. I especially find the proposal scenes funny. I also like how the other characters from the previous books crossed over to this one for cameo roles with ease. With so many interesting subplots, it was hard to put it down. I highly recommend this book t ...more
Sharifah
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was another wonderful book. The story just flowed, the dialogue, descriptions, actions, thoughts and emotions of the characters were written so well, you cannot put it down. I have read all of Ms Larkin's Baleful Godmother series, and her others as well, and there has not been one that I did not enjoy. The birthday wish premise in this series is really interesting, as the wishes themselves are not what anyone would think of. I liked Mordecai, and Nell, and while they were really strong char ...more
Lucina

I loved Mordecai, he was so amazingly romantic! An unusal but lovable hero. Nell was a little bit too annoying and I didn't like her as much as I wanted. And Nell was the reason I couldn't give this book a higher rating.
Neil
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a wonderfully written romance.
The characters are full of depth and very likeable.
Did not expect this at all.
Brilliant.
Nicky Marriott
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

I have to say that Nell and Mordecai's story made me grateful to be alive!
This book genuinely made me laugh and cry, worry and hope, peaceful and concerned, grateful that real Love can creep up on us almost unwittingly!
I know that it has with me, and, so much of their story is so identifiable by so many people, I have no doubt!
Do yourself a great favour and spend some time with these amazing characters. You definitely won't regret it.
Does
Prose: 4/5
How much I enjoyed it: 5/5
Rainer Prem
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received the ARC yesterday and finished it by today.

It's a worthy continuation of the epos, a little slow at the beginning, but carefully introducing the new protagonists. The only thing I found unnecessary is the appearance of the characters from earlier volumes in a kind of Deus ex Machina role. I think the story would have worked without them as well. A little more conflict by omitting them couldn't have hurt.

Wholeheartedly five stars.
M
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: archived-kindle
Bonnie
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I get a person who asks me, Bonnie, why do you read crap books? Why would you do that to yourself? This series is the reason. What started off as a pretty terrible romance series has, over time, become genuinely entertaining to read. Larkin has vastly improved from her first book in the series. I requested this title from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion.

This is my favorite installment of the series so far. Our Heroine is Nell, who is eagerly awaiting her birthday so she ca
Narrelle
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Ruining Miss Wrotham is the fifth in Emily Larkin’s Baleful Godmother historical romances. Like the splendid Unmasking Miss Appleby before it, it’s set in the Regency period and follows the story of a descendent of a woman who used a faerie wish to grant her female descendents a wish of their own on a significant birthday. Wishes are always granted but are not always wisely chosen – this faerie godmother is baleful indeed. Some wishes for faerie gifts end in madness and death.

I went ahead to rea
Nicole
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book from net galley for an honest review. Thank you!!

This novel was an enjoyable read. The author continues her series about women who will receive a gift from the "fairy Godmother". They have been told to use their wish wisely or else it could cause them pain in different ways. There is also romance and overcoming "prejudices".
Eleanor 'Nelly" Wrotham refuses to marry a man who is like her father, controlling and domineering. She wants to have choices and make her own decisions
Luisa Kernobst
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like your historical romance to be just this bit different, you should try Emily Larkin's Baletongue series. The recurring theme is the birthday wish that Baletongue, a not-very-nice or actually rather malicious Faery Godmother, grants to girls from a certain family line.

In this installment of the series, the Faery gift theme is more of a side plot, though. The main plot concerns Nell Wrotham, who was ruined by her sister's running off with a soldier, and whom she is now trying to find,
Janet
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eleanor Wrotham is trying to find her younger sister Sophia, she has sworn off overbearing men after her fiancé Roger broke off their engagement but she needs a man’s help and the man who steps forward is as domineering as he is dangerous, the notorious Mordecai Black.
The illegitimate son of the Earl of Dereham, Mordecai is infamous for his skill with women. His affairs are legendary but few people realize that Mordecai has rules, and one of them is Never ruin a woman.
Mordecai is much maligned b
Amanda Richardson
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Ruining Miss Wrotham" is a well-written, engaging historical romance that I liked. Nell is about to turn 23, which is momentous because she has a fairy godmother who will grant her a wish on her 23rd birthday. What does she want? She wants to find her younger sister, approximately 16, who ran away with a soldier. Nell's father recently passed away and she learns that her sister has been trying to reach her for months. She needs someone to help her find her sister.
Mordecai is looking for Eleanor
Dmcl
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These books have each been exceptional and Ruining Miss Wrothman is a wonderful read. I couldn’t put it down! The romance builds steadily throughout the story, both Nell and Mordecai truly growing to love one another. She is an innocent in the ways of love and he adept at being her teacher, taking his cues from her and letting her set the pace. There is a scene where he explains means of birth control to her that is hysterical! Throughout the book there is heartache and danger, passion and suspe ...more
Pamela
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Rated 3.5!

Eleanor Wrotham has one sole purpose... find her missing sister. She turns her back on society and leaves behind everything she knows to begin her search. It is in her parting with her ex-betrothed that she runs into his cousin, Mordecai Black. They barely know one another, but Mordecai insists on coming to her aid, which is more than she can say for his cousin.

Now that Eleanor has broken her engagement, Mordecai means to win her for his own. Unfortunately, Eleanor refuses his offer o
Brenda
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Publisher's Description:

The illegitimate son of an earl, Mordecai is infamous for his skill with women. His affairs are legendary—but few people realize that Mordecai has rules, and one of them is: Never ruin a woman.
But if Mordecai helps Miss Wrotham, she will be ruined.

My Thoughts:

I have read other books in this series but to
Emily Larkin is the USA Today bestselling author of the Baleful Godmother historical romance series, a series that readers are calling “sexy, unusual and vastly entertaining,” and "ridiculously wonderful."

When not reading or writing, Emily can be found hiking—preferably somewhere off the beaten track. She loves to travel, and has lived in Sweden, backpacked in Europe and North America, and travele
More about Emily Larkin

Baleful Godmother (5 books)
  • Unmasking Miss Appleby (Baleful Godmother, #1)
  • Trusting Miss Trentham (Baleful Godmother, #2)
  • Claiming Mister Kemp (Baleful Godmother, #3)
  • Discovering Miss Dalrymple (Baleful Godmother, #4.5)