Start by marking “Age of Order” as Want to Read:
Age of Order

Age of Order

(Age of Order #1)

What if the people who thought they were better than you… really were?

In this world, inequality is a science. Giant machines maintain order. And all people are not created equal.

Daniela Machado is offered a chance to escape the deprivation of Bronx City through a coveted slot at the elite Tuck school. There, among the highborn of Manhattan, she discovers an unimaginable wo
Published February 2017

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,257 books — 10,915 voters
Age of Order by Julian NorthCrazy For Alice by Alex DunnNorthern Lights by Philip PullmanAlice in Wonderland / Hunting of the Snark by Lewis CarrollChallenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
YA Alternate Worlds
24 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Core4Gore
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing debut for a new author! It's got elements of Red Rising, Hunger Games and even Ready Player One, but it's certainly its own unique story, filled with both young adult and adult themes. I was most impressed with the layers of mystery and how adeptly the author pulled back the veil. He did a great job of pulling together the various plot threads so that at the end you say "ah ha! I should've noticed that." It's also great to have a dystopian novel written in an intelligent voice. The ch ...more
Lauren Hopkins
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
If you ever wanted to read a walking cliche, here you go.
Flawless love interest? Check.
Total hardass female lead with no weaknesses and who shows how much of a hardass she is at every opportunity and is a hardass in situations in which she could not have reasonably been such a hardass? Check.
And this chick has special magical powers? Check.
Ridiculous value systems that make no sense in context? Check.
"This thing is literally impossible but whoops I did it to save the day!"
Ugh.
JFrank
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Age of Order is a great ride: Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Brave New York and some Mean Girls too. The world is a very realistic version of what NYC could be in a few years, filled with great touches of technology and subtle social commentary. But what makes this book better than almost any other dystopian book I’ve read in the past 10 years are 2 things: characters and plot. Let me start with the characters. Daniela is telling us this story. She’s a hard girl, as you would expect where she comes ...more
Shannon Fields
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of this genre - dystopian young adult with social commentary thrown in!!

This is a debut novel so I had no expectations but I was intrigued about the premise and the story lived up to its premise.

For fans of dystopian novels, it will feel familiar but not repetitive or trite. The main character is strong and likeable (and she is a runner which is appealing to me personally!), but again not a carbon copy of other strong female leads.

I think one thing that sets Age of Order apart is the
Chris
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, dystopia
3.5 One of the things I like best about this novel was the way that the author withheld information from the reader - things the protagonist/s knew of or discovered, without disclosing them immediately to the reader. They would get in a bind and - voila! - things they'd put into place unbeknownst to you would happen. I loved it! As for the rest of the book and its premise, I can imagine this sort of future happening, a terrifying thought. There was a lot of technical talk, both of presently-know ...more
Yuyud_D2
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Even though the opening and the climax of this book was good, I felt like the ending was rushed and a bit confusing at some parts. This book is set in the future where New York City is divided into 5 smaller cities and Daniela is accepted into Tuck a very prestigious school in Manhattan, when she starts school there she feels very left out from the "richies" and "highborns". She later uncovers a scheme that would have left certain people to control other people.
Paula
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
More like 2.5 stars.
This featured some interesting ideas, and should have been super awesome. The author didn't possess the writing skills to uphold his ideas, though, so...meh.
Maureen Baggett
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dystopian Dreamscape

What a wonderful imagination! I loved this glimpse into a gadget laden future. The reflection of today's society from many years in the future was good. Will human nature never change, even if other genetic modifications can be made?
Austin Bates
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Short Review: an interesting premise that starts strong, gets stronger, then begins a rapid descent into absurdity and genre flipping. A disappointing turn of narrative despite the otherwise excellent prose and world building.

Longer Review: This novel starts out well enough. The world that the other constructs is surprisingly well-thought out, fairly original, and compelling. Rather than another dime-a-dozen dystopian novel about "the world that comes after the apocalypse", this is actually a so
Bella
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Age of Order is a young adult novel that will appeal to anyone looking for polished science fiction with a healthy dose of real-life grit. Daniela Machado might appear to be following in the footsteps of her sisters Katniss Everdeen and Tris Prior, but she proves time and time again that she can outrun anyone when she’s pushed to the edge.

Check out the rest of my review at BestThrillers.com.
Andrea Tawney
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done

For a first time author, this is a remarkably well told story. Yes, there are improbabilities, but it is, after all, sci fi / fantasy! The characters are pretty well developed and the setting is excellent. A thoroughly good read.
Michelle
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I was REALLY drawn into this from the beginning and enjoyed it SO MUCH . . . until close to the end, and just a couple of things got . . . weird. I really did like Daniela and the gritty world she lived in, how hard it was when she changed to go to a rich school in Manhattan, her running and all that. LOVED it. I could even deal with the complicated plot to keep the rich folks from killing off the poor people, but . . . trilling? I'm sorry, this sounds like birds. I had a harder time with the mi ...more
Persia Chetwode
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book because I've always loved books that include the character's life at school. This book is the perfect fit for me because the amazing author has written the next two books and I read fast. I enjoyed it because it wasn't just about the modern times, or the past, it was set in the future, and it showed how the world works and about how the main character is one of the people who were born in Bronx City. It also shows easily how Daniela's mother influenced her life, and ...more
Tammy
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is set in future America and has a divided population. Much of what I am seeing happening now but not to the book's degree. The book made me think about what possibly could happen. I would be interested in knowing why the author picked track as the sport that was prevalent in the book and was the MC main "power" for most of the book. The story did keep me guessing on who was on whose side and did not end on a cliffhanger. Four kept popping up in my head as Alexander. I look forward to r ...more
Charles Daniel
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected, after reading the prequel, but quite an excellent read.

This novel posits the extreme, if logical, conclusion of the political and social consequences of everyone living in their own information bubble. When only few entities control all the information the rise of Oligarchy like the Orderists is entirely too plausible--and lends a Casandra-esque prophetic moral to this tale.

If you're a fan of Political/Corporate Espionage stories you'll love this novel.
Tracy Lea Young
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story

A rare thing, story first, romance is either very secondary or hinted at. A fish out of water combined with a good dystopian/evil empire story touching on real concerns regarding genetic tampering and the goods and evils it could bring humankind. A school story where the involvement of students in larger world issues actually makes sense. I recommend it highly,
Gary
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun fast little read, with some interesting plot twists and some predictable plot twists. Good writing for the most part. On a few occasions where our main did some self-dialog, it became stilted and awkwardly out of place. This happened seldom, which made it all the more jarring on the few occasions when it did occur.
Janina s. Asselin
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grab this book and hang on!

What a ride. Read this in one day and sorry it is done. Great characters, strong and believable. Strong writing, great flow. Nice twists and turns. Gave this four stars which is very rare for me. Writing , story and characters must maintain their hold and strength to merit a 4 and this offering did. Looking forward to more from this gifted writer.
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Daniela Machado lives in a world where the country has been divided into different classes of people. Not only have the people been divided but they all go to different schools and live in different places. People who live in Daniela’s part of the country cannot go to the rich part without a reason and permission.

Daniela is on the track team at the high school she attends and is the fastest runner on the team. Daniela loves running it helps her to deal with everyday life. Daniela has an older b
James Annis
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
An easy read with a simple single plot line. Enjoyable, but not overly challenging. Good if you want something that fits that bill. Many of the concepts presented seemed plausible and raised some good questions about how we view our society in the present day.
Shelby Cohen
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was engrossed in this story, which threaded the themes of dystopian YA with class struggles, eugenics experiments, and government conspiracies together nicely. it lacked a bit in character development, but made up for it with evocative imagery and lots of action.
Amy
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

New writer? This was awesome! I may not know you but I'm proud of you, you go girl! I wouldn't say I'm a book snob but I read, and listen, enough to know good writing. I gave up on two books before this one.
Tina Hacker
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a page turner to the max! Strong characters, interesting plot twists, sci-fi gadgets that were believable. The book also has a moral center and some strong hints that the danger in the pages is our danger now and in the future. I'm buying the next book. Really enjoyed it.
Dave T
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and exciting.

This is the first book I have read by this author and will definitely be reading the second in the series.
Joshua Edgar
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julian North did well on her first book. The setup was very good and the ending wasn't altogether predictable. The book did end a little abruptly though.
Reese
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This book was a surprise and definitely one of the best I've gotten off KU so far. Really enjoyed and recommend. Hope there is a sequel planned and will check out other books of the author.
Jess McDermott
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
what a little gem. I was looking for something different and stumbled across Age of Order and had a great time with it. It was a fun read.
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Womderful

Absolutely wonderful book!!! Can not wait to read the others in the series!! Hope they are just as spectacular book!!!
Jackie
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ultra awesome book from a new author. Couldn’t get enough of this story. Hopefully there’ll be more to come. Appreciate the free book.
Bookish Addict
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great dystopian read.
  • Stuck Up!: 100 Objects Inserted and Ingested in Places They Shouldn’t Be
  • The Song of Eloh Saga
  • The Third Reich: A Chronicle
  • The Beam: The Complete Second Season Collection (Books 7-12)
  • Delta-v
  • The Stars Seem so Far Away
  • Grind Spark
  • The Final Salute
  • Becoming
  • Broadcast
  • The Charmed Life of Alex Moore
  • Windows to Our World: Sarah's Journal - Growing Up, Crossing Oceans, Finding Love and Giving Life to 10 Children
  • Clockwise Series Boxed Set (Clockwise, #1-4)
  • Bit Rot (Freyaverse #1.5)
  • Master Potter: From Brokenness to Divine Destiny--An Allegorical Journey
  • Sisters in War: A Story of Love, Family, and Survival in the New Iraq
  • The Waning Age
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: 33rd Annual Collection

Age of Order (3 books)
  • State of Order (Age of Order Saga Book 2)
  • Fate of Order (Age of Order Saga Book 3)
“the party that governed, restored an orderly nation. Success through merit alone. Economic rationalism. Prosperity through order.” He snickered. “Finally, a party that kept their campaign promises. Judges, politicians, leaders of any kind were jailed, intimidated, or paid off. Just about every major news service was bought out by Orderist supporters. What was left was mostly drowned out.” 0 likes
“visit” 0 likes