Start by marking “Mutiny on the Bounty” as Want to Read:
Mutiny on the Bounty

Mutiny on the Bounty (The Bounty Trilogy #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  12,681 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
Cherished as one of the most thrilling sea adventures ever recorded, Mutiny on the Bounty has sold millions of copies and enthralled generations of readers around the world in the seven decades since its initial publication. The novel reprises a true story-the strange, eventful, and tragic voyage of His Majesty's Ship Bounty in 1788-1789, which culminated in Fletcher Chris ...more
Published January 30th 1932 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Mutiny on the Bounty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutiny on the Bounty

Werner
The British (and to a lesser degree the American) Navy in the age of sail has become a staple setting of modern English-language historical fiction, exemplified by the works of Patrick O'Brian and others. While Melville's Billy Budd and White Jacket are certainly forerunners of the trend, the main impetus to the subgenre was probably C. S. Forrester's Hornblower series; but this novel by Nordhoff and Hall was roughly contemporary with Forrester's work, and also well deserves a reading by fans of ...more
Tweety
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Hornblower fans and those who like seafaring tales

When I started this I was slightly worried because a) it's written by two authors and I though it might be jarring when it switched from one to the other b) N. C. Wyeth's illustrations had several top-less ladies and c) the books didn't seem very happy I knew almost for certain how it would end.

But... I really enjoyed it. A) the writing is seamless from one to the other. I truly could not tell who was writing. Maybe because they both edited each other's writing. B) While the island ladies don't
Pasan Rajadasa
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kind of feel bad for giving only 4 stars. I have a thing with the sea, as I often mention, and I have researched a lot when it comes to the nautical history in 19th century. I was prejudiced.

Still, it lived upto the expeditions. Not the perfect story of a voyage one might expect , but it was one heck of a voyage nonetheless.
ElizaBeth Comencant
Okay, so I was in between books and decided to go back and read this one, which, if I am being honest, I never read in high school when I was supposed to. It is a LONG read, but I am glad I read it. The narrator's story is told plainly, with a fine attention to detail. I can't say I loved how it all went down, and several of the character's stories were quite poignant. Still, I am happy I chose to read this again as an adult, and recommend it for anyone who thinks they remember it from school. I ...more
Abdullahmd Wasim
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good description. but, the ending is heart touching and too much emotional.
Walter
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-maritime
There's something about a good story of adversity at sea to get the blood pumping. Robert Louis Stevenson figured that out. He made a name for himself by writing stories of pirates. In "Mutiny on the Bounty", Nordhoff and Hall have hit a home run by writing about mutiny. Their novel takes place in 1789 - 1794 on board the British armed merchantman "Bounty", which traveled from England to Tahiti to pick up a load of Breadfruit trees with the purpose of planting the trees in the West Indies to pro ...more
Chris
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Fascinating account of an open water journey across the south Pacific. Bligh's crew mutiny and send him off the ship with a small crew of faithfuls. An expert seaman, he demonstrates incredible leadership when he pilots this small rowboat and a handful of men across hundreds of miles of open ocean. Their bravery and resourcefulness are surpassed, in my opinion, only by Earnest Shackelton who made a similar trek under conditions even more trying.
Sara E.
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a stunning novel, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the kind of novel you could reread because the scenes are so intense and so much happens. I highly recommend it.

Quite different from the Marlon Brando film version as I remember it. I'll soon see how much it differs from the Clark Gable/Charles Laughton version.
Chelsea
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

Continuing on with my reading challenge (I'm nearing the end!) I chose Mutiny on the Bounty for the category of a "A book with multiple authors." It also had the added benefit of allowing me to cross off a book from the list I have pinned up by my desk of every book Rory Gilmore reads, mentions, etc. during the duration of Gilmore Girls.

What's important to remember about Mutiny on the Bounty is that is a fictionalized account of the (in
thereadytraveller
Like most people I can recall many times when I would stay up late in bed as a child reading a book by torchlight under the blankets. Escaping to foreign lands between the pages there was, at the time, an absolute need to read just one more page. Whilst I no longer need to read under my blankets, that feeling of unabated joy was something akin to what I felt when reading Nordhoff and Hall's historical novel of the most infamous of mutinies.

Set in the late 18th century, there's probably very few
Nicholas Whyte
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Mutiny on the Bounty, is narrated by Byam, the fictional midshipman played by Franchot Tone in the film; the Bligh of the book is if anything even more monstrous than the Bligh of the film, and the confusion of the mutiny itself - a ten-minute spurt of late-night impulse which had long-lasting effects - better conveyed. The Tahitians are referred to invariably as "Indians", but otherwise treated as a dignified culture which the English sailors disrupt b
Alice
This book fulfills part of my goal to read 5 book from my 2017 Rorie Gilmore reading list. One more to go before the end of the year! 3.75 stars I listed to the audio book version which was so well done! Charlton Griffin did an exceptional job. The music and the sound of the waves add to the story!
I am half tempted to read the 'real' story of the Mutiny of the HMS Bounty but this satisfies my needs.
I know the sea was a career and a escape from England, but being stuck, days, weeks and months
Christoph
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I keep coming back to this beautifully haunting re-telling of the Bounty mutiny every year or so, and every time it's like a call to the sea, as if in an earlier life I had sailed the oceans of Bligh and Christian. The book, much like a voyage, starts slow but after the first fifty pages it has transformed itself so thoroughly into a dramatic sea adventure that the one way back to reality is sailing forward and be it through the hell that are Bligh and the Horn.

And then there's the characters a
Mike Harper
This is a pretty good sea story, based on a 1789 mutiny.
If you have time for just one mutiny, read The Caine Mutiny instead.
The edition I picked up at the library is full of typos, almost to the point of detracting from enjoyment. It has none of the usual copyright, publisher and Library of Congress info, so I assume it's a Kindle edition or something like it. Strange!
J.
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly excellent novel, which is hard to do when basing fiction off of historical events. Beam comes off as well-balanced and believable. I like how the novel ends, as well--again, not an easy thing for writers to decide where to end when the characters are real people. Recommended.
Christy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The definitive story of the most famous mutiny ever, still fascinating after more than 200 years. Could sea captains really get away with being this barbaric? Didn’t the sailors have any other recourse, besides mutiny? The debate still goes on.
নাফিস অলি
সমুদরের গলপ বরাবর ই আমায় ভিষণভাবে টানে। ছোটবেলায় কতবার যে নাবিক হওয়ার সবপন দেখেছি তার হিসেব নেই। এ কারণেই রবিনসন করুশো, টরেজার আইলযানড, বলাক সোয়ান, দয সী হক, সী উলফ ইতযাদি আমার পরিয় উপনযাস। সেই সাথে যুকত হল আরও একটি। অনেক দেরিতে হলেও 'বাউনটিতে বিদরোহ' পড়ে বহুদিন পর নাবিক হওয়ার ছোটবেলার সেই সবপনটা নিজের অজানতে জেগে উঠেছিল। ইচছে করেই ধীরেধীরে পড়লাম, ঘোরলাগাটা দীরঘ করার জনয। ইতিহাসের সতয ঘটনাকে কেনদর করে জেমস নরমযান হল ও চারলস নরডহফের লেখা অতি বিখযাত উপনযাস 'বাউনটিতে বিদরোহ/ Mutiny on the Bounty' স ...more
Kim Zinkowski
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A.
Casey
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily in my top 10 favorite books.
Elizabeth
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. Hard to put down.
Ken Cartisano
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable!
Jeannie
This book surprised me - it was written around 1930 but is still so feels 'fresh'.
Kay Wahrsager
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rip-roaring tale leaving me eagerly anticipating the reading of parts 2 and 3 of this remarkable story.
Peter
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this classic for a project in 2016. Great read, but totally biased. I recommend reading "The Bounty Mutiny" by William Bligh after reading this to hear the Captain's side of the Mutiny.
Devs38
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books that I've ever read. Very suspenseful. What the crew endured is unbelievable. Great descriptions, adventure and historical information.
Terri
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Mutiny on the Bounty was a riveting book. There's no surprise here that it was far beyond both versions of the movie.
Bookish
This is a novel based on the mutiny against Lieutenant William Bligh, commanding officer of the Bounty in 1789. I consider it the original legal thriller. Re-read the last half of the book that deals with the trial and execution of mutineers, and you’ll see what I mean. —James Grippando (https://www.bookish.com/articles/jame...)
Denise Barney
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This version was published in the 1930's. Roger Byam, a midshipman, is the narrator. He joins The Bounty at the suggestion of Sir Joseph Banks, as Mr. Byam (who is about to start at Oxford) has an ear for languages. His task is to complete a dictionary and a grammar of the Tahitian language.

The story follows The Bounty's trip from England, which seems doomed from the start. Bad weather delays them sailing from England until December 23, so they miss the window of good weather crossing the Horn.
Rachel Arnow-richman
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: really-good
Ocean adventure plus courtroom drama. Of course I like this book.
Max Maher
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER ALERT Mutiny on the Bounty by Nordhoff and Hall is an incredible classic about a mid-shipman, Roger Byam, who is aboard HMS (his majesty's ship) Bounty on a mission to get the valuable Tahitian breadfruit trees used to feed slaves in Britain. The ship gets to Tahiti and Byam goes straight to his job of learning the language of the Tahitians and writing a dictionary. Throughout the voyage captain Bligh is abusive towards ma y people on the Bounty. On the way back to England there is a mut ...more
IRP #2 Matt Lemanski 2 4 Nov 06, 2017 12:44PM
  • Captain Horatio Hornblower: Beat to Quarters, Ship of the Line & Flying Colours.
  • Northwest Passage
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • Molière: A Biography
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • The Bounty Mutiny
  • The Golden Ocean
  • Pigs at the Trough: How Corporate Greed and Political Corruption Are Undermining America
  • Green Mansions
  • The Cruel Sea
  • Midshipman Bolitho (Richard Bolitho, #1-2)
  • Monsieur Proust
This describes the 20th century novelist, most famous for Mutiny on the Bounty. For the 19th century journalist and author, see Charles Nordhoff.

Charles Bernard Nordhoff was an English-born American novelist and traveler.
More about Charles Bernard Nordhoff...

The Bounty Trilogy (3 books)
  • Men Against the Sea (The Bounty Trilogy, #2)
  • Pitcairn's Island (The Bounty Trilogy, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Where We Fall
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Over the Plain Houses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Deep Harbor (Northern Lights, #2)
  • Mustard Seed
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • Coffee Will Make You Black: A Novel
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99