Start by marking “Life in a Nowhere Town (Sing Out, #1)” as Want to Read:
Life in a Nowhere Town (Sing Out, #1)

Life in a Nowhere Town

(Sing Out #1)

First kiss, first heartbreak, first love, first time… but not necessarily in that order.

The hit reality show, Singing Sensation, promises to make its winners big stars - but all Conor Gillis wants is to get out of his small town. It's not the sort of place where a quiet, eighteen-year-old who loves the Beatles and playing guitar can expect to fit in.

Conor's also pretty
Published December 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published January 27th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Life in a Nowhere Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life in a Nowhere Town

Start your review of Life in a Nowhere Town (Sing Out, #1)
Maygirl7
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! When I read that the story was about a trying out for a reality singing show, I just expected something fun. This was more than fun. Conor and the beginning of this series had more real feels than expected. Can’t wait to start book 2.
Manfred
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reread January 20 - still a lot of fun!
Original review:
I really loved this story about Connor who lives in a small town and dreams about seeing the world or at least getting out of town for once.
When an American Idol like reality show holds auditions in the neighborhood this might just be his chance, even if he never watched "singing sensation" in the past and always made fun about his sister who is a big fan...
But not only the show could change Connors life, he also gets to know Derek who is
Joyfully Jay
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kirsty
A Joyfully Jay review.

Life in a Nowhere Town is not the first book I have read in which the main character is involved in a national singing competition on TV. This is not surprising as the popularity of these shows is increasing, no matter which country you live in. The aspect I like about Hanna Dare’s story is that the Singing Sensation auditions are secondary to the development of her protagonists. Life in a Nowhere Town is about who Connor and Derek are and the reasons why they
Lisa
I was given a copy of this book free by the author in exchange for an unbiased review.

Conor is a senior in a middle of nowhere town who thinks that his only way out is to audition and hopefully win a tv singing reality show.
Part of the school life is Derek, the school bully. However, although his relationship with Connor starts out that way, their relationship soon changes to that of a sexual nature.
I liked tis book. Conor and his 2 female misfit friends were typical teenagers.
If anything there
Dena
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't given up on Derek yet. On to book 2!
Alison
A touching novella to start a new series.

Conor lives a small life, after his mother's death he and his father and sister are barely getting by (can I just say I find it difficult to wrap my head around the fact that a family can be bankrupted by medical bills when in the UK medical treatment is free), he only has two friends at school and he has no idea what to do with his life when he leaves. Life in a small town can be inhibiting, especially if you are a young gay man.

Then Conor gets a chance
M. Arbon
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the entire Sing Out series (which is really one story over three volumes). I confess that I strongly dislike some of the major tropes here, and it's indicative of the writer's skill that I kept enjoying spending time with the characters and wanting to see how things worked out. This was the first work I read by Hanna Dare, who is now going on my "read more by" list.
Molli B.
This was cute!! I like Conor, Derek grew on me, and the story is engaging enough to keep me interested in reading. I really enjoy Hanna Dare's writing. Looking forward to reading more of this series!
Janeylou
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Vallie
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is about Connor Gillis, a senior in a high school who dreams of leaving his bumfuck nowhere town and having a career in music. He isn’t a popular kid at school and his only friends are Megan and Ali. Of course, there’s the local bully, Derek, who has it out for everyone, really, but especially Connor.

The story flow is a little choppy. There are different parts that make up the puzzle but the transition isn’t very smooth. There’s Connor’s audition to the Singing Sensation competition,
Aerin
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, part-of-a-series
I waited to read this book until California Schemin' was released and I'm so glad I did! Life in a Nowhere Town ends in a cliffhanger; this is a series based on the same main character Conor Gillis, an 18 year old boy who's in his senior year in high school.

Connor's life in nowhere town is lonely and miserable; after losing his mother when he was only 14 years old, Conor has been struggling to keep her memory alive while his father took the easy way and pretended like his mother never existed.
A.O.
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I RECEIVED A FREE COPY FROM THE PUBLISHER IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

I'm not the biggest YA fan but I’ll admit this book was nice. Also 'fiery crotch' made me snicker a few times.
PLOT:

The plot wasn’t complicated, it was rather simple - a small town boy auditions for a singing competition, fully assured that he isn’t going to get a call back much less win, while dealing with that, he has to deal with this thing going on with Derek -the school bully.

I’m not complaining about the sex scene,
UnusualChild{beppy}
4 stars

Conor is starting his senior year of high school, and really looking forward to getting out of his nowhere town, especially since he feels that he can't be himself. He doesn't sing or play guitar for anyone, and he definitely hasn't told anyone he is gay. When Conor sees an ad that mentions a popular singing reality show is auditioning in the city, he decides to try out, even though he has made fun of the show since his sister started watching it. But Conor has been picked on by a local
Taid Stone
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've never been a big fan of American Idol, but have watched various parts of different series enough to know the general order of the plot menu. Dare, in creating "Singing Sensation, has followed Idol to a degree, at least in book one. The big difference is we live with the Conor's family and friends for a while. We get to meet his few friends in his senior year of high school. We also get to know his bully. Dad, sis, aunt and dead mom have issues that affect Conor as do friends. Life has not ...more
Karla
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
I became emotionally invested in this story by this new-to-me author. There's a relationship of sorts between Conor who loves music and is closeted and Derek, the high school bully. I was worried about Derek as a romantic interest because he behaves true to stereotype. But as we get to know his backstory his behavior makes sense. Better yet the author sets him up for some great character growth in the sequels.
Ross
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far so good.

It started off kind of slow and honesty I almost stopped reading it. But, after the first third of the book it really picked up and found a really good flow. Looking forward to the next book.
Cleo
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I thought it was a purely written fan fiction with barely disguised parodies of the characters in the TV show 'Shameless'.
Jenn (not Lily)
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
So well written! These people are real high school seniors, with all the awkwardness of that year in small-town Midwest America. Conor is a fantastic lead character, and all the rest are just as complex, even the bully's minions. Can't wait to see what happens in the next book!
Calila
*A copy of this book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

Oh I loved this book! Our main character is Conor, who I loved, I got such a great feel of who he is. He desperately wants out of his small town, where his life sucks. He's bullied, his father is distant, and he can already picture how the rest of his life will play out if he doesn't escape and at least TRY to have it be different. He gathers his courage to seize his one shot, by trying out for a singing
Alex
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***

It is difficult for me to figure out how to review this book. I enjoyed it. BUT, and this is a huge BUT... it's a short book with a cliffhanger. This annoys me in principle. I was enjoying what was going on, wondering why I was almost finishing and he still was in his hometown. I like the story. I want to know what happens. But I can't figure why this isn't a complete novel, instead of these chapters. My cynical side says
AnnMarie
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-read
I received a copy of this book from the author via the DBML program in exchange for an honest review.

I don’t typically read YA books but this one sounded interesting and I am so glad that I read it! Conor is a teenager, living in a small town, dealing with more than the typical teenage angst. His mother died a few years earlier and his father is having difficulties dealing with her death, which leads to a strained & distant relationship with Conor & his sister. Music is important to him,
Stacey Jo
I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Conor has had some tragedy in his past and all he wants to do is get out of the town he’s in and pursue his passion in music. With the help of his very supportive aunt, he tries out for the music talent search show, Singing Sensation. While he’s waiting to hear the results, he has to deal with the mundane and often trying times in high school. One of the most puzzling things is that Derek, the school bully, wants to pay him to tutor him in
Alexis Woods
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(A free copy of this book was provided by the author in return for an honest review via the Goodreads Don't Buy My Love program.)

Life in a Nowhere Town was a perfectly paced story told solely from the third person POV of Connor. He's the oldest child of his small family, just him, his sister and his father. Connor's mother has past away, and she was the one who instilled a love of music in Connor. When the reality show Singing Sensation comes to town, Connor suddenly sees an opportunity. He
lady_knight
Conor is a bright teenager who loves music; listening, playing, and writing. His mother was a music teacher and taught him everything she knew. After her death he continued to play, but didn’t have the support he once had, because his father gets upset when Conor plays.
Living in a small, nowhere town leaves Conor with few to no options for a job or college. His only hope of making something of himself is to audition for Singing Sensation. A singing competition that could make all of Conor’s
Juli
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
*** I was given this book as an ARC for a fair and honest review***

This was a sort of sweet but disjointed book for me about Connor... a small town boy who dreams of getting out from where he is and living a life that is his own. There are things standing in his way though. A disinterested father who checked out after the loss of his wife, a bully and his cronies who make his everyday life pretty miserable and no real opportunities to escape except maybe Singing Sensation which might just give
Natosha Wilson
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a book that not only has massive amounts of humor in it but it has some bullying, and some parts that made me tear up also.

Connor, I think, is really scared about not getting out of his small town along with the small mindedness. He wants bigger things for his life but I think he is wanting to be able to help his family with the financial burden and he also wants to sing and play to remember his mother.

Derek is the complete opposite of Connor. He is the person at school people are afraid
blub
Misty Wilson
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Life in a Nowhere Town: Sing Out 1 is a great beginning to Conor finding himself in more ways than one. I will tell you this story is not complete and appears to be one of a few so if that frustrates you, then you should wait until the full story has been written.

The story started a little slow but picked up steam later. There were moments I laughed out loud, had my heart hurt and yummed with some sexy bits. Since so much
Diane
I received a copy of this book through Book Funnel. This was the second book I've read by Hanna Dare and so far my favorite!

Ms. Dare has the ability to look inside a young man's mind and heart so we can grow and change along with him. The cast of characters are multidimensional and, as in real life, we uncover their motivation and deeper feelings over time.

Conor just wants to get out of town. Away. From the bullies. From the lack of musical stimulation. From the small mindedness of people. From

• The Dichotomy of Angels
  • The Christmas Deal
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • In This Iron Ground (Natural Magic #1)
  • Honeymoon for One
  • Feralsong (Green Creek #3.5)
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • The Gilded Scarab (Lancaster's Luck,  #1)
  • Lock & West
  • Flash Rip
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities, #1-7)
  • Rat Park
  • Hug It Out (Haven Hart Universe, #2)
  • Stay Lucky
  • Honeythorn
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Better Than Good (Better Than, #1)
  • Towers of Heaven (Towers of Heaven, #2)
A writer-for-hire for more than ten years, Hanna Dare now writes what she loves to read: well-written, character-driven stories of men exploring their identities and discovering their own unique kind of happily ever afters… usually through sexytimes. Find Hanna on the internet enjoying pretty pictures, procrastination and caffeinated beverages.

Sign up to the mailing list to keep up to date on new

Sing Out (5 books)
  • California Schemin' (Sing Out, #2)
  • The Man Who Told the World (Sing Out, #3)
  • Something Like the Real Thing (Sing Out, #4)
  • A Better Man (Sing Out Book #5)