Start by marking “The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes: The Story of Dr. Patricia Bath” as Want to Read:
The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes: The Story of Dr. Patricia Bath

The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes: The Story of Dr. Patricia Bath

If you like to think big, but some say you're too small, or they say you're too young or too slow or too tall... Meet Dr. Bath—the scientist who never lost sight of her dreams!

As a girl coming of age during the Civil Rights Movement, Patricia Bath made it her mission to become a doctor. When obstacles like racism, poverty, and sexism threatened this goal, she persevered—
Published September 26th 2017 by Innovation Press

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes

Start your review of The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes: The Story of Dr. Patricia Bath
Jillian
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book - I learned so much! - but I *hated* the Dr. Seuss-style rhyming text. It just got so repetitive, and I feel like a lot of information got sacrificed to preserve the format.
The back-of-the-book stuff was stellar. A timeline, an interview with Dr. Bath, a detailed biography, a bibliography, and more. The book could have been made of just the backmatter, instead of dumbing it down to the poem.
Bethany M. Edwards
As a reading specialist and early elementary educator, finding books with diverse female role models for my students, as well as my two biracial girls is my biggest mission. Bookshelves are overwhelmingly full of adventures and accomplishments of men (fiction and non fiction).

This book celebrates a powerful woman in medical history that may not be otherwise known if it were not for this beautiful picture book. The pacing of this rhyming biography is spot on to keep a reader's attention. The
Kimberly
Dr. Bath has a really interesting story, and this book is certainly worth checking out. I detracted a star for two reasons: one, I thought her history would have been better served by a more serious text/illustration style. It all felt a little too cutesy for this badass woman. The other thing was that the additional information at the end is extremely repetitive--they even used the same two photos over again. There have to be more photos available of this woman. There's a timeline of her life, ...more
Hannahlily
look at those magnificent end notes! Even a timeline!
Kris Dersch
Again, this series frustrates me SO MUCH. I'm so interested in this person, I think this author got so much from the interview with her, the back matter makes that clear, but the rhyming text just trivilaizes and diminishes what should be a great book. This one was maybe a little better than the Raye Motague book but not much....my 4-year-old just spent three pages being confused about the stork. The stork? Really? That's how we start? This series has so much potential. So disappointing. Only ...more
RaiseThemRighteous
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

If I only had two adjectives to describe The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes, written by Julia Finley Mosca and illustrated by Daniel Rieley, I would, without hesitation, choose witty and bold. The book’s cover features disembodied eyeballs floating on a purplish background as well as a woman with brown skin and long dark hair holding an ophthalmoscope. It’s a wonderful introduction to a picture book that is a little silly, a little serious, and brilliantly
Mehreen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Doctor with an EYE FOR EYES
The STORY of Patricia Bath
Written by Julia Finley Mosca
Illustrated by Daniel Rieley
Published by The Innovation Press in 2017
A tale of Patricia Bath written with easy-to-follow rhyme and fun illustrations. Little Patricia Bath is from New York and feels she can do anything boys can do and to prove it, she does all her older brother does. Early on in the book young Patricia soon discovers her own passion for chemistry, sparked by a Chemistry Set Gift from her
Cecilia
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really cool story--it was a simple rhyming scheme, but it managed to convey a lot of information with few words! I like nonfiction picture books like that. The story was also very motivational, especially the last page of the story which I loved. The inclusion of the timeline and actual photos of Dr. Bath were good resources to pad the story, but weren't critical to understanding and enjoying it. The illustrations were really well done. I think a story about eyes could become creepy ...more
Viviane Elbee
I liked learning about Dr. Bath, whom I had never heard of before. She is a fascinating doctor and pioneer in laser cataract surgery. The artwork by Daniel Rieley matched the story well.

The back matter pages are extensive - maybe a little too much for young kids, who enjoyed the main book but did not want to sit still for the back matter. Adults can read the back matter prior to reading this book with kids and "condense" useful information to share when the kids ask further questions.

As I read
Erin Buhr
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How is it possible that I have not heard of Dr. Patricia Bath until I read this book? Granted I don't spend a lot of time in the world of eye doctors, but still. She is awesome. Julia Finley Mosca articulates Dr Bath's laundry list of accomplishments with a poetic, rhyming style that carries you through her life story in a way that is far from the boring, droning resume reading style of so many children's book biographies. Instead, you are left in awe of an incredible woman and her barrier ...more
Jj
There were some details that really were confusing--how is it that all of the nearby high schools were "only for white kids with money"? Were these public schools? There are a couple of issues here at play: public vs. private schools AND segregation. At the time it takes place, she is apparently living in New York City, so I would think all the public schools were open to students from all economic situations; racial and ethnic backgrounds are another story. What year/time period is this? No ...more
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dr. Patricia Bath became an eye doctor at a time when neither woman nor people of color were often found in medicine. This rhyming biography explains how she became interested in science, faced all forms of discrimination, became an advocate for eye related public health, and developed new tools and techniques. A fabulous timeline at the end helped me tie her life events together in a way that was more meaningful for me as an adult.

A great choice for elementary school biography collections.
Amy
A preschool-level picture book biography to inspire kids to believe in themselves, follow their dreams and never-mind the nay-sayers. Dr. Bath, an African-American woman whose parents were of modest means, was inspired by a family friend to become a doctor. She had to deal with racism and sexism, but her mission gave her strength and purpose. She helped invent a laser procedure for glaucoma. Not too shabby. The book rhymes, which I felt gave it some verve and sass. It would make a nice ...more
Paul Rondema
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Doctor with an Eye for Eyes tells the remarkable story of Dr. Patricia Bath who refused to allow society’s racial and gender barriers stop her from fulfilling her dream to help all people see. Hers is a story I had not heard before reading the book and a story I would love to have spread to all children (and adults) everywhere.

I’ve seen others recommend this book for anywhere from K-12 and I have to agree that all ages of kids (and adults) will enjoy this book, but if you really want to pin
Julie
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great series, inspiring and motivating children to embrace diversity and strive to achieve their dreams. I love that a person's biography is introduced with its relevance to the reader.
It is written in rhyming verse, which I found was generally pulled off well. However, it very occasionally felt clunky, such as when words were reversed to fit the rhyme. It could have been told very powerfully in prose, so not sure how rhyming makes this story better.
Backmatter is excellent, with an
Becky B
A picture book biography of Patricia Bath, an African American woman who beat the odds and prejudice, became an eye doctor, and revolutionized eye treatment all over the world.

A fantastic and inspirational picture book biography of a woman who persevered to change the world. I've never heard of Dr. Bath, but I've sure heard of some of her innovations. There's extensive notes in the back with further information on Bath's life and work.
Anna
I like how the book rhymes, but I don't understand the capitalizing of the whole word in some parts. Great story with great illustrations though! I loved learning about Dr. Bath. I have never heard of her before so it was really cool to learn everything she has done for the medical (eye) community.

Love the quotes, "We're EQUAL - all genders, all shades." and "Nothing's off limits - no job, dream, or role.".
Lynn
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! I'm sorry I missed this wonderful picture book last year and thanks to my Goodreads friend for highlighting it. Dr. Bath is an inspiring individual and this lively interesting book does a good job of introducing her and her achievements. Charming illustrations.

Excellent back matter including an interview with Dr. Bath, timeline and sources.
Lydia Boverie
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a GREAT book!! Really shows kids that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it and work hard, as well as that being the first to do or create something doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong or impossible. Very educational and motivational, great for both girls and boys! Discusses race and sexist issues Dr. Bath experienced throughout her career.
Pita-eater
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Like other books by Mosca, the text is written in rhyme which ultimately distracts the reader from the facts of the story. Dr. Patricia Bath is a remarkable person who deserves to have a book written about her, but I learned this from the back matter rather than the rhyming text. Disappointing.
Beth
The hokey rhyming kind of marred the gravitas of Dr. Bath’s accomplishments but I loved learning about her and all the amazing things she accomplished and glass ceilings she shattered in ophthalmology and medicine in general.
Margaret Boling
1/27/2018 ~~ A crucial addition to the biography collection in an elementary school, or a text set of scientists' biographies, or women who have broken through barriers, or African-Americans who have confronted racism. Pretty much a must have book.
Miss Sarah
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This picture book biography of Dr. Patricia Bath focuses on her determination to become a doctor and her focus on helping save eyesight for the most underserved populations. The afterward got a little long but the main part was great. elementary and up
Angela
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent, great story of persevence and never giving up.
Julie
Great picture book biography of Dr. Patricia Bath. I wish it wasn’t told in rhyming text.
Wendy Gardiner
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, stem
The backmatter is not to be missed starting with the "Dear Reader" message from Dr. Bath.
Kelly
Good picture book telling the story with rhyming.
Donalyn
Don't miss the back matter!
Library Lady Terri
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great accessible biography for young readers.
Alyssa
The rhyming was a bit much.

• Counting on Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Saved Apollo 13
  • Shark Lady: The True Story of How Eugenie Clark Became the Ocean's Most Fearless Scientist
  • The Remember Balloons
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • Dreamers
  • The Day You Begin
  • Say Something
Julia Finley Mosca is a copywriter and former journalist who spent more than a decade in Hollywood crafting messages for money. After working with such recognizable brands as Entertainment Tonight, Yahoo!, American Greetings, and JibJab, she landed her most rewarding job yet―mom to one ferociously curious and spunky little girl. The Amazing Scientists series marks Mosca’s debut into the magical ...more
“We're EQUAL - all genders, all shades.” 0 likes